What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (1 Viewer)

I couldn't agree more. I'm not really a Redskin fan but I have always been a big Kerrigan fan and he doesn't even look like the same guy this season.
He hasn't.

He's just declined, and without a second pass rush move (something he's failed to develop in many years) he's an average pass rusher. He's never been a good run defender because he abandons his edge position so frequently going wide outside to pass rush.

He has 6 tackles this year. Preston Smith (who isn't setting the world on fire) has 16. Others have more. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/was/2018.htm#all_defense

Kerrigan's past his prime, he isn't going to get better, the only hope for him is that he improves against the run. Other teams used to depend on running against Bruce Smith. It's the same with Kerrigan. "See that guy? Run right at him. He won't be there when you get there."

Last edited by a moderator:
Leaders in tackles this year for the Skins.

Mason Foster

Zach Brown

Quinton Dunbar

Montae Nicholson

Josh Norman

D.J. Swearinger

The D-line and OLB's aren't getting it done.

I think they may have been making the point that it's not because the secondary suddenly played much better by making great plays on the ball, after getting badly exposed in the N.O. game. I said before the season that going into the year with Dunbar as a starting CB without any real depth behind him was a huge mistake and haven't seen much to change that tune. They were really putting a lot of pressure on Moreau to make a huge leap this year and he may eventually be a pretty good player but that's a lot to ask of a third rounder that didn't get much time on the field as a rookie. 

They are doing pretty well in the standings but I just don't think they have the DB's to hang with a playoff caliber team. Other than the game they shut down GB because they jumped out to that early lead they haven't really impressed me. Shutting down Fitzgerald and...... doesn't mean much. I don't think Scandrick is great but outright releasing him seemed like a real head-scratcher to me. With Gruden fighting to keep his job I'm very surprised they went with such inexperienced CB's to put around Norman.
I was pretty pissed about letting Fuller go in the Alex Smith trade. But I've heard he isn't doing great in KC, so who knows. I also thought they should have tried to bring Breeland back. 

No disrespect intended at all but I was born and raised in the DMV and ive never seen or heard of this guy in my lifetime. 

Excuse my rude comment and I hope he RIP.
No problem, IMO. He was a quieter Redskins reporter. He wasn’t as active on Twitter as others. Not one of the bigger names and wasn’t the type to break stories. He always struck me as a level-headed reporter. 

I learned today that he was a manager at Panera and worked his way into reporting on the Redskins later in his life, which supposedly was his dream job after growing up as a big fan. 

No problem, IMO. He was a quieter Redskins reporter. He wasn’t as active on Twitter as others. Not one of the bigger names and wasn’t the type to break stories. He always struck me as a level-headed reporter. 

I learned today that he was a manager at Panera and worked his way into reporting on the Redskins later in his life, which supposedly was his dream job after growing up as a big fan. 
He was on WJFK pretty regularly(for those of you who listen to 106.7). 

Rich Tander passed away. 
This hit me unexpectedly hard this morning. I first heard of him 10 or so years ago as the guy who wrote like an anthology/history book on the Redskins. Been following him on Twitter and watching him on the Skins CSNBC shows. Was just so easy going and genuine I guess it eventually felt like I knew him. Really feel for the people around him. I guarantee he was a positive force in everyone's life he came in contact with. The stories on Twitter now show that. Only 63. ?

Rich Tander passed away. 
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/10/17/rich-tandler-longtime-redskins-reporter-dies/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.3f14f8fc0e93

I just heard him last week; I think Czaban was talking to him at least once a week on his show. I always liked Tandler -- low-key, did the daily grunt work of beat reporting (like John Keim), and knew way more that he got a chance to say on the air the few times he was audible. I used to follow him in print before I ever heard him on the radio.

Damn. No cause of death listed.

I've relied for decades on print reporters and beat reporters and low-level radio reporters for Redskin news. Ken Beatrice is the best sports radio guy ever in my mind, because he respected each caller and gave them an answer and left them feeling informed. Jason Reid in his early days was like that in print. So was Mike Jones. Tandler and Keim (especially) continue that tradition for me --- they were there to inform you, and not to entertain you, and what I want is always information. If you do a search of very old posts on this site you'll see I mentioned Tandler years ago (if those posts even exist). When it came to the Redskins he knew his ####, and he would communicate it to you, and that was all. I appreciate that.

Sorry to see the guy go.

The Redskins will pay tribute to Tandler at FedEx Field this weekend, team spokesman Tony Wyllie said. No one will sit in his longtime press box seat — Row 1, Seat 15 — again.
“Different perspectives from the range of ages of those of us on the podcast creates a good dynamic,” Tandler said in September. “I’ve been around every Redskins Super Bowl going back to 1972 . . . Just having fun is the key to the whole thing . . . That’s what makes it work. It’s organic. We just have fun doing it."
thom loverro (@thomloverro) October 17, 2018

I’m at a loss for words right now and I don’t really know what to say. Rich Tandler was one of the most genuine, nicest men I’ve ever met. Heartbroken. I’m so sorry. From our Grand Canyon trip last month during Skins trip to Arizona. RIP, pal. We’ll miss you. pic.twitter.com/qaZDb8J7Ok
Tandler's in the blue hat. Keim's in the red and black shoes.

Washington Inactives

Summary: RB Chris Thompson, WR Jamison Crowder, WR Paul Richardson, C Casey Dunn, OL Geron Christian, CB Quinton Dunbar, S Troy Apke

Thoughts on Thompson going forward fellas? Doing some digging but wanted to ask 
He would be a heck of a productive back if he was on the field. The problem is that, with injuries and with riding the Peterson train as long as it runs, he hasn't been on the field much and it's hard to tell about the future.

He would be a heck of a productive back if he was on the field. The problem is that, with injuries and with riding the Peterson train as long as it runs, he hasn't been on the field much and it's hard to tell about the future.
He seems to be yet another of those players that can't stay on the field.

Smith almost never finds a receiver after scrambling. My guess is that’s a problem with our receivers. But, Smith hasn’t been very good so maybe it’s on him too 

This offense is gross. If we didn’t sign Peterson, we’d be last in the league. 
yup.  If we are in any situation where we have to pass, its a wrap.  thats why we cant really compete this season.  btw.  its sad to say but Doctson is awful.  Im glad we finally have learned this. 

yup.  If we are in any situation where we have to pass, its a wrap.  thats why we cant really compete this season.
Maybe. I’m hoping it’s mostly due to Smith just not being comfortable/familiar with the offense so far. But even if he does vastly improve, receivers are a problem. 

I, um, really liked our defense today, even with Dunbar out. I only saw Strohman way out of position once. And until the end of the game they bottled up everything Dallas did except for Dak running.

1.5 game lead!
What's crazy is that we have a legit chance of starting off 5-2 with Giants next week (not a lock, I know).

Of course, we have to get a lot better on offense right now, but the defense is definitely better. 

WIth Smith's problems, he's protecting the ball, and note that two weeks in a row, winning the turnover battle was key to victory.

We have a way to go, but I give the team props for fighting.  

It's an encouraging start for a team that is limited in personell offensively in many respects.

What's crazy is that we have a legit chance of starting off 5-2 with Giants next week (not a lock, I know).

Of course, we have to get a lot better on offense right now, but the defense is definitely better. 

WIth Smith's problems, he's protecting the ball, and note that two weeks in a row, winning the turnover battle was key to victory.

We have a way to go, but I give the team props for fighting.  

It's an encouraging start for a team that is limited in personell offensively in many respects.
Chill.  You know how we do.  Need to keep it at .500 based on that trend they keep showing.  We will get blown out by the giants and i won’t be shocked in the slightest.

Were a team that could pass but couldn’t run or play D. Now a team that can run and play D but can’t pass. Maybe it’s outdated thinking, but I will actually take that trade. 

Were a team that could pass but couldn’t run or play D. Now a team that can run and play D but can’t pass. Maybe it’s outdated thinking, but I will actually take that trade. 
With our extremely limited (by injury and bad front office decision) WR corps and our RB corps decimated by injury, I'll take that trade too. If Peterson goes down we're sunk, at least until Thompson comes back. At WR suddenly Doctson is the best of the group, and he's no great shakes.

The defense is just fun to watch, though. They tackle better now. They pressure the QB and stop the run better now. And the backups seem more prepared and able to step in than in past years.

Special teams tackle a lot better too this year.

Boy, we sure almost pissed away what was looking to be a convincing win. We lucked out, period, and although it's great to get the W, it kinda sucks to get it that way when we could have won that game hands-down.

Playcalling on that final possession was piss-poor. Coudn't have been more predictable. Can't believe Smith didn't stay in bounds on that scramble.

For all the hard-luck losses we've suffered at the hands of the Cowboys, it was swell to be on the right side of luck today for a change. This was shaping up to be another last-minute loss after looking pretty good most of the way. I've felt the stab of that knife way too often.

I'd just like to feel better about this one...but I'll take it.

This offense is gross. If we didn’t sign Peterson, we’d be last in the league. 
yup.  If we are in any situation where we have to pass, its a wrap.
I don't quite agree. In the first half of games we're able to complete some passes and drives. Not a lot, but some.

In the second half that changes, though. We're able to complete almost nothing. The playcalling changes. The QB play changes. The WR play changes. Sure, you can attribute some of that to defensive changes by the opponents, but since it's been constant for years it's definitely a Gruden trait passed on to the team --- play scared in the second half.

On the Bibbs TD the blocks were thrown by Scherff, Floyd, and Doctson. And it was a good play call. Credit where credit's due.

PinkydaPimp said:
Chill.  You know how we do.  Need to keep it at .500 based on that trend they keep showing.  We will get blown out by the giants and i won’t be shocked in the slightest.
LOL, point taken.  We could still end up 4-12.  Do I think it will happen?  Hell no.  Would I be shocked?  Not really.?

dgreen said:
I agree.  Yesterday, we held Elliot to 33 yards on 15 carries.  That is damn good.  A week earlier we stymied McCaffry.  If you can run and stop the run that's pretty good.  Smith and the receivers haven't played great but hopefully the second half of the season, we get healthier there and it improves.  Those rookies who went on IR may even come back -- I'd like to see what Quinn and Sims can do.

The other thing that we haven't talked about on here. Last several weeks we've really been concerned about Kerrigan and Smith.  If yesterday was an indication that we may see results from these two this year, that's gonna be a tremendous boost.

Also, to go with your point -- if you can run and stop the run and also if you can win the turnover battle.  The turnover statistic  historically strongly correlates to wins and losses and were doing well on that right now.  Smith doesn't sling it like Cousins, but he is not killing us with the deadly mistake.  YEs, he needs to get all his weapons back and start to synch with them -- but don't lose the piece where he's protecting the ball; I don't think anything is more important than that with how this team is constructed right now.

ETA:  I looked it up and after 6 games Redskins are 5th best team in league in turnover differential.  TAKEAWAYS:  4 INTs, 7 FUMBLES ; GIVEAWAYS:  2 INTs, 3 FUMBLES  = +6

Peterson -- it's not just that he has good vision and speed.  That dude just runs really angry and violent, with a giant chip on his shoulder.  He's a different kind of runner than we've had in the past few years.  I wonder if his attitude has any impact on the team at large.  It just seems like if you were playing with a guy like that, it would make you work 10x harder.

I just hope he can stay healthy.  That's my biggest fear... 

Not sure about these "Skins only have one team with a winning record left on their schedule!" takes, as if Thanksgiving in Dallas and two games in December against the defending Super Bowl champions who have lost 4 games by a total of 15 points will make for smooth sailing on the home stretch. 

Next four weeks are key: 3-1 is doable and will probably put them in great shape, but 2-2 or worse and there's trouble looming.

Users who are viewing this thread