What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Players Whose Value You Believe Will Ascend In The Off-Season (1 Viewer)

Javonta Williams: I believe his value is as low as it is going to be right now. As reports come in about his progress and the shiny spin that will be on it through the off season his value will rise. Personally I wouldn't take a chance on him because I think his recovery will be closer to Dobbins than it was AP. From reports his knee was pretty torn up so I don't think his timeline will be on the short end but over the off season people will believe as positive reports (who gets negative reports?) come in and that will drive his value up. I am staying away though
from what I’ve read he blew up his entire knee - it’s reportedly as bad or worse than Dobbins. If you’re planning a rebuild for 2024, or you’re deep enough to pay for him & carry dead weight for 1.5-2 years, sure - but otherwise I’d avoid.
I have a Keeper league where we can keep up to 4 each year.
I cut him to make roster space.
It immediately reminded me of the Dobbins situation, and think it's 2024 before he's who we thought he was.

Mike White: This is with the caveat that he plays well the last two weeks and goes into the off season as the likely starter for the Jets going into 2023. If that is the case, I could see his value in SF/2QB leagues rising fairly quickly to the point that he is a good sell high. He will get the hype of all the weapons around him on a team looking up and his value will surpass his actual ability.

Mike White: This is with the caveat that he plays well the last two weeks and goes into the off season as the likely starter for the Jets going into 2023. If that is the case, I could see his value in SF/2QB leagues rising fairly quickly to the point that he is a good sell high. He will get the hype of all the weapons around him on a team looking up and his value will surpass his actual ability.
I think they think he's pretty good.
I suspect he'll get every chance in 2022.

Regarding Metchie the odds are extremely high to me he will be reunited with Bryce Young. If Texans hold onto pick 1.1 I'm going to say bank on it.

Khalil Herbert. His injury muted his stats this year, but he's a really good back that should be a starter in this league. All depends on what happens with Montgomery. I think a healthy Herbert is as good, if not better than Montgomery, so I doubt the Bears open the checkbook to resign him.

Khalil Herbert. His injury muted his stats this year, but he's a really good back that should be a starter in this league. All depends on what happens with Montgomery. I think a healthy Herbert is as good, if not better than Montgomery, so I doubt the Bears open the checkbook to resign him.
Good call on Herbert, although as mentioned upthread, I think there’s a reasonable chance that Montgomery won’t have a lot of suitors and will end up back with the Bears on a reasonable 2-3 year deal.

Some good ones already mentioned and agree with Meno about Pickens in a big way...a few more:

*Trevor Lawrence-turning into the franchise QB everyone thought he would be...this one is obvious but if you want him, buy now because the price will only continue to go up

*Chiggy Okonkwo-TE has been tough this year and this kid has showed some real upside

*DPJ-has had a sneaky good year...Browns don't have a #1 and the FA WRs are a weak group, so he is primed for another jump.

*Terance Marshall-long-shot here but he is starting to make plays and if Carolina can figure out the QB position he could become relevant

*Drake London/Kyle Pitts-if Atlanta brings in at least a functional QB the value of these two will spike dramatically

*Chris Olave-kid has proven he can put up #'s with mediocre QBs...imagine what he can do if the Saints can upgrade the position

*James Cook-I am a big fan (more than most) and think he is just starting to scratch the surface of his talent...not saying he will be top 10, but he will be a quality back with blow-up potential

*Pierre Strong-Pats have a ton of holes to fill other than RB and he is starting to show something...has a chance to be decent FF bench depth next year

*Pat Freiermuth-just looks the part...got a chance to turn into an elite FF TE

*DeVonta Smith-I think he is underrated right now...AJB gets a ton of love but DeVonta has a chance to be a consistent high-end #2 like Tee Higgins is with Cincy
As a Bills fan, totally agree on Cook. There’s a chance that Singletary actually ends up back in Buffalo if his market isn’t what he thinks with all the RBs going to be FAs, but I think the Bills very much want Cook to be their #1 next year and he looks the part.

If he had enough carries to qualify, he would lead all RBs in ypc and he’d lead all RBs in DVOA. So he’d be leading in both traditional and advanced rushing metrics if he had more carries (obviously the big assumption is that he would continue to be that successful with more touches).

Good call on Herbert, although as mentioned upthread, I think there’s a reasonable chance that Montgomery won’t have a lot of suitors and will end up back with the Bears on a reasonable 2-3 year deal.
I love Herbert (pained me to trade him this past offseason) and he should be rostered everywhere especially dynasty. My only concerns with him are have the Bears seen enough out of him to give him the starting job next season, and like you said they seem to like Montgomery enough that I think they’d re-sign him if the price is reasonable. They seem to like both guys in tandem. The other thing to remember is they invested very little in terms of draft capital in Herbert (6th rounder) and teams tend not to commit to guys like that (at least not without bringing in some competition). If the Bears do nothing this offseason at the position (doubtful), then you have a stud on your hands. If they bring back Montgomery or sign a guy like Damien Harris, there’s still a chance Herbert can be the 1A in that backfield. If the Bears take a RB Day 1 or 2 then I’d be less than thrilled with that development if I were a Herbert owner. But he’s absolutely worth holding, as even in a worst case scenario he’s an elite handcuff.

Some good ones already mentioned and agree with Meno about Pickens in a big way...a few more:

*Trevor Lawrence-turning into the franchise QB everyone thought he would be...this one is obvious but if you want him, buy now because the price will only continue to go up

*Chiggy Okonkwo-TE has been tough this year and this kid has showed some real upside

*DPJ-has had a sneaky good year...Browns don't have a #1 and the FA WRs are a weak group, so he is primed for another jump.

*Terance Marshall-long-shot here but he is starting to make plays and if Carolina can figure out the QB position he could become relevant

*Drake London/Kyle Pitts-if Atlanta brings in at least a functional QB the value of these two will spike dramatically

*Chris Olave-kid has proven he can put up #'s with mediocre QBs...imagine what he can do if the Saints can upgrade the position

*James Cook-I am a big fan (more than most) and think he is just starting to scratch the surface of his talent...not saying he will be top 10, but he will be a quality back with blow-up potential

*Pierre Strong-Pats have a ton of holes to fill other than RB and he is starting to show something...has a chance to be decent FF bench depth next year

*Pat Freiermuth-just looks the part...got a chance to turn into an elite FF TE

*DeVonta Smith-I think he is underrated right now...AJB gets a ton of love but DeVonta has a chance to be a consistent high-end #2 like Tee Higgins is with Cincy
As a Bills fan, totally agree on Cook. There’s a chance that Singletary actually ends up back in Buffalo if his market isn’t what he thinks with all the RBs going to be FAs, but I think the Bills very much want Cook to be their #1 next year and he looks the part.

If he had enough carries to qualify, he would lead all RBs in ypc and he’d lead all RBs in DVOA. So he’d be leading in both traditional and advanced rushing metrics if he had more carries (obviously the big assumption is that he would continue to be that successful with more touches).
As much as I don’t want to agree being a dolphins fan I do believe that this is going to be the player who we all are gonna be hot and heavy for this offseason. To me it looks like they want him to be the guy they are slowly moving away from singletary but going into the off-season there’s gonna be a full on press feeling he will be moving into a very valuable role on a very good, high scoring team. He’s a good player with good draft pedigree and I think they realize singletarys limitations and will look to cook soon. How they utilize him in the playoffs will give us some insight into how they feel about him and what his role might be next year

I think you have to look at offenses with significant upgrades at QB or coach

1) wherever Sean Payton lands will boost value across the board
2) Tennesse probably upgrades at QB...great for Burks
3) Indy is a prime candidate...great for Alec Pierce and Pittman
4) Houston should see an upgrade at QB...the aforementioned Metchie
5) Washington should see a QB upgraded...dotson and mclaurin and Samuel...somebody is going to be the winner
6) Wherever Brady goes
7) Wherever Carr goes

Someone explain something to me. One minute they are talking about Tua as a MVP, then the next run him out of town. Yes, he had a bad 2nd half last week, he's still better than most QBs in the league. I would love to have him in Indy. Having said that, he may have been exposed as a one read QB and a blueprint laid out in how to play him. That's just something I read and doesn't necessarily make it true. I don't know, because I'm not an NFL QB scout.

Someone explain something to me. One minute they are talking about Tua as a MVP, then the next run him out of town. Yes, he had a bad 2nd half last week, he's still better than most QBs in the league. I would love to have him in Indy. Having said that, he may have been exposed as a one read QB and a blueprint laid out in how to play him. That's just something I read and doesn't necessarily make it true. I don't know, because I'm not an NFL QB scout.
I have not read this whole thread so not sure who is trying to run him out of town but the MVP talk was never remotely justified IMO and I've never looked into the why of it but for some reason he's got a massive online support group, the Tuanons, who likely fueled a lot of that MVP talk while they were making him the run away NFL pro bowl vote leader. Either way his play has regressed the last few weeks, a lot more then a bad second half, and the team has been losing so whatever was thought of him as a player early on it's understandable to think less of him now.

But I agree he's a solid QB. Not top 10 but upper half of the league but that's with the major caveat of if he's healthy. He's been injured a lot. My guess is he won't play again in the regular season and possibly not in the playoffs, assuming they make it. He's apparently right now consulting with some medical professionals on his future and while I don't think he goes this route now there is some chatter that retirement is not off the table. Again I don't think that happens now unless he got some seriously negative feedback from his medical conslutation but if he should suffer a concussion or two next year I think it could be over for him or be an impetus for the Dolphins not exercising his 5th year option.

Kareem Hunt
Not sure about him - really depends on his landing spot. With several other FAs likely to be ahead of him, and his age and this year’s production not helping him, I think he ends up in another committee situation. Could be even less desirable than Cleveland.

I agree with you. Hunt didn't seem to have that same burst this year.
Value......not what you think his stats will be

Kareem Hunt
Not sure about him - really depends on his landing spot. With several other FAs likely to be ahead of him, and his age and this year’s production not helping him, I think he ends up in another committee situation. Could be even less desirable than Cleveland.

He's reached the stage of his career in which he just runs as violently as possible and hope for the best. He still carries NFL value because of what he can do in the passing game, but he's best fit as a 40%er.

Am I missing something in regards to Hunt? He's caught four passes and gone over 50 yards twice this year (not in the same game, just twice period) and based on the eye test looks like he's running on fumes. Judging by the fa rbs he's at best 2nd tier, and when you mix in rookies and the contract he'll want you can bump him down to 4th tier fa rb. What team is going to give him a shot as their no 1 guy? His current value is nothing (I've literally tried to throw him into a trade and the other owner wasn't interested) and at best it'll bump to a late dynasty pick as the reports of him being in the "best shape of his life" come out over the summer.

Guy is a sell for whatever you can possibly get, and more realistically dump for a high upside youngster.

Kareem Hunt

Value......not what you think his stats will be

Uh... OK, I think his value will NOT ascend this off season... because his breath smells bad (and he looks a step slower than 2021).

D Swift: Ok, he was hurt and Willaims took the goal line carries, but if he ever gets the bell cow status behind that line look out. Likely a guy who will fall to the third round in redrafts next year who (again, bc of that line) could be a top 3 RB.

Joonny: yep, you see it right. Tua is what Waldman may call a system QB. He moves defenses with his eyes and throws to a spot. I love him, but 3 concussions in one season is nothing to sneeze at. He has been hurt every year he has ben in the NFL and his last year in college. As a Dolphin fan, I'm rooting for the kid, but I am also worried about him. I think "pocket" qbs who are not durable are not long for the NFL. I hope he proves me wrong.

D Swift: Ok, he was hurt and Willaims took the goal line carries, but if he ever gets the bell cow status behind that line look out. Likely a guy who will fall to the third round in redrafts next year who (again, bc of that line) could be a top 3 RB.
Problem is I doubt Campbell/Staley will ever trust him again to be a bell cow - or anything close to it.

D'ernest Johnson. What's the deal with this guy? I stubbornly held on to him on my RB poor team all season after picking him up late the prior season when he had his short lived explosive coming out party. Absolutely nothing this year. Had hoped he would land with another team via trade or something. Looked the part in 2021. Cut or hold?

D'ernest Johnson. What's the deal with this guy? I stubbornly held on to him on my RB poor team all season after picking him up late the prior season when he had his short lived explosive coming out party. Absolutely nothing this year. Had hoped he would land with another team via trade or something. Looked the part in 2021. Cut or hold?
I think in another year D’ernest could find himself with an elevated role. But with the glut of more proven FAs/rookies in the offseason, I think he’ll end up again as a depth piece somewhere.

I think in another year D’ernest could find himself with an elevated role. But with the glut of more proven FAs/rookies in the offseason, I think he’ll end up again as a depth piece somewhere.
Given the flood of options in free agency I think he may end up back in Cleveland. Ultimately, it comes down to the types of offers he gets. If someone wants him then I don't see the Browns budging off their price, but I expect them to let D'Ern know their price in February and keep an open dialogue if his phone if radio silent come March.

Problem is I doubt Campbell/Staley will ever trust him again to be a bell cow - or anything close to it.
Not to mention Swift can't stay healthy.

Not to mention Swift can't stay healthy.
He doesn’t play with pain…..period

Kadarius Toney: He is in KC with a whole offseason to get worked in. He has shown glimpses of electricity in the games he has been in. His value is going to go up significantly if there are no bad stories about him in the off season.
Similarly I was thinking Skyy Moore, with JuJu and Hardman perhaps going elsewhere, and MVS not exactly an impediment. That said, while Reid doesn’t often play rookies much, Moore hasn’t really shown any signs that he’ll amount to a valuable WR.
I wouldn’t be surprised if JJSS stays. He’s taken a smaller deal to stay in Pitt in the past, and I think they’ll make him a decent enough offer to stay. He’s quietly getting targets all season.
Moore seems like a gadget guy to me but of course it’s not impossible he becomes a great route guy to go with his athleticism.
Toney will likely always be the big tease. He has me hooked again with these flashes in KC. Man, I want to believe in this guy but his head/heart isn’t in it.

Excited to see the jump for Jameson Williams and what his ceiling is. I get one keeper and am thinking of passing on more sure things to keep him for a 10th next year.

Kadarius Toney: He is in KC with a whole offseason to get worked in. He has shown glimpses of electricity in the games he has been in. His value is going to go up significantly if there are no bad stories about him in the off season.
Similarly I was thinking Skyy Moore, with JuJu and Hardman perhaps going elsewhere, and MVS not exactly an impediment. That said, while Reid doesn’t often play rookies much, Moore hasn’t really shown any signs that he’ll amount to a valuable WR.
I wouldn’t be surprised if JJSS stays. He’s taken a smaller deal to stay in Pitt in the past, and I think they’ll make him a decent enough offer to stay. He’s quietly getting targets all season.
Moore seems like a gadget guy to me but of course it’s not impossible he becomes a great route guy to go with his athleticism.
Toney will likely always be the big tease. He has me hooked again with these flashes in KC. Man, I want to believe in this guy but his head/heart isn’t in it.
KC is not going into 2023 relying on Toney, but I think they will create a path for him to a lead role if he earns it and most importantly sustains. I don't expect Juju, Hardman, nor MVS back but viable alternatives will be brought in.

KC is not going into 2023 relying on Toney, but I think they will create a path for him to a lead role if he earns it and most importantly sustains. I don't expect Juju, Hardman, nor MVS back but viable alternatives will be brought in.
I agree, Toney will have an opportunity but KC will not rely on him to be the leader of the room. DJ Chark is a guy who could bump in value depending on where he lands. Truthfully he may be a great fit in KC who will need to replace some speed if MVS and Hardman are not back.

Couldn't find any mentions of Isiah Pacheco

Hasn’t Pacheco’s value already ascended during the playoffs? Dude was the #14 rb ppg in ppr the last two months and showed he’s what Reid wants. If he’s not a RB2 by now I’d be surprised. Do you see him going to a top 12 next year?

Hasn’t Pacheco’s value already ascended during the playoffs? Dude was the #14 rb ppg in ppr the last two months and showed he’s what Reid wants. If he’s not a RB2 by now I’d be surprised. Do you see him going to a top 12 next year?
Unfortunately no. I believe the Chiefs will draft a RB.

I love the kid, and he ran his butt off in the playoffs - even had a couple of important receptions.

I just see him as a dude who was “better than CEH” between the tackles, and not a dude who will beat out a rookie for the gig.

This is a TBD until we see if
1. McKinnon re-signs
2. The Chiefs draft a back in the first 3 rounds
3. Any one of the 10 or so notable FA RBs signs with the Chiefs.

Lots of bullets to dodge this off-season. I sure hope he dodges them, since I have a share in a rebuild league.

Any love for ETN in here?

Feel like he has a lot more to give, is another year removed from injury, and in an ascending offense.

Could he get to that magical 12-14 carry/5-8 reception per game average that would make him a top 8 RB?

McLaurin and Dotson (yeah I'm a homer but they didn't have a good QB with a live arm until week 17, and Bieniemy is a HUGE upgrade over Turner)
Drake London (as previously said, he looked really good down the stretch with just average (at best) QB play
Calvin Ridley (he isn't coming off injury and this will be the best QB he's ever had)
John Metchie
Rashod Bateman (can he finally play a full season)

Unfortunately no. I believe the Chiefs will draft a RB.

I love the kid, and he ran his butt off in the playoffs - even had a couple of important receptions.

I just see him as a dude who was “better than CEH” between the tackles, and not a dude who will beat out a rookie for the gig.

This is a TBD until we see if
1. McKinnon re-signs
2. The Chiefs draft a back in the first 3 rounds
3. Any one of the 10 or so notable FA RBs signs with the Chiefs.

Lots of bullets to dodge this off-season. I sure hope he dodges them, since I have a share in a rebuild league.

Given how deep the RB FA’s are, I’d be mildly concerned about the Vet FA Comp pick period ends that starts after the draft. That may be when we see a potential McKinnon replacement get signed if he isn’t brought back or replaced in the draft / main FA.

John Metchie
Tried to get him for a 4th. Owner wouldn’t bite. Tried to get him for a 3rd. Still no dice. Got frustrated, thought, “screw it - I will get this done!” & threw a 3rd+4th at him.

Rejected.
:sadbanana:

FFPC SharkPool league with folks on this board, short bench, Keep only 14 skill players. I put Metchie on the block and not a single bite
Seems like people are either all in or all out on him.

Reports about his recovery are good -

That said, the Texans are trash right now other than a boatload of draft capital.

This is a team that forgot to lose in week 18. Do we really trust them to build a competitive roster?

Foreman, cheap investment that can be an every week FF starting RB 2/3, wheels up with this news. Staley was more into a J. Williams than Swift type of RB, IMO Foreman a much better version of Williams.

• Panthers RBs coach Duce Staley said it's important the team re-signs free agent running back D'Onta Foreman this offseason.​

Staley also notes that this decision isn't up to him, but he's clearly interested in the team reuniting with Foreman this offseason. Following the trade of Christian McCaffrey to the 49ers, Foreman stepped up to rush for 191-877-5 in the team's final 11 games of the season. His five 100+ yard rushing games were tied for fourth-most in the league this season. If Foreman were to return to the Panthers, he could be safely projected as an RB2, running behind an offensive line that ranked 17th in PFF run-blocking grades (83.6) last season.
    SOURCE: Steve Reed on Twitter
    Feb 23, 2023, 12:29 PM ET

Foreman, cheap investment that can be an every week FF starting RB 2/3, wheels up with this news. Staley was more into a J. Williams than Swift type of RB, IMO Foreman a much better version of Williams.

• Panthers RBs coach Duce Staley said it's important the team re-signs free agent running back D'Onta Foreman this offseason.​

Staley also notes that this decision isn't up to him, but he's clearly interested in the team reuniting with Foreman this offseason. Following the trade of Christian McCaffrey to the 49ers, Foreman stepped up to rush for 191-877-5 in the team's final 11 games of the season. His five 100+ yard rushing games were tied for fourth-most in the league this season. If Foreman were to return to the Panthers, he could be safely projected as an RB2, running behind an offensive line that ranked 17th in PFF run-blocking grades (83.6) last season.
    SOURCE: Steve Reed on Twitter
    Feb 23, 2023, 12:29 PM ET
Makes sense. Affordable, played well and the Panthers should be investing every bit of capital they have into QB, WR and TE. If I am the Panthers, I am looking for a reasonable deal for a Dalton Schultz or Mike Gesicki. Trading into the top 5 to get Stroud, Young or Levis. Then using the late 2nd that hopefully you were able to keep on a WR like Downs, Tank Dell or Tyler Scott.

Users who are viewing this thread