What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Players Whose Value You Believe Will Ascend In The Off-Season (1 Viewer)

zamboni

Footballguy
Sort of related to the pro-active dynasty pickup thread: before the regular season (and waivers) ends, looking to identify players whose value may spike in the off-season.

Can be guys coming back from injury, or perhaps guys who are likely to find greener pastures in free agency. Also could be household names or somewhat under the radar guys.

I’ll start with one: Rashod Bateman.

The Ravens passing game has really fallen off this year, with injuries to Lamar, Andrews, and Bateman contributing heavily. Still, there was opportunity for WRs to pick up slack, and outside of a few big games from Duvernay and Robinson, it didn’t really happen. Fast forward to 2023 and it’s not a good FA crop nor a huge rookie draft for the Ravens to upgrade over Bateman. With his draft capital, that may leave a healthy Bateman in good position to be the #1 WR again (assuming Lamar comes back).

Who else do you see spiking in value during the offseason?

Cam Akers: He has put together some good games to finish the season and you would think the Rams are going to be better next year. My guess is his value increases quite a bit but it may be a situation where the owner will want too much to part with him than a buyer is willing to spend.

Cam Akers: He has put together some good games to finish the season and you would think the Rams are going to be better next year. My guess is his value increases quite a bit but it may be a situation where the owner will want too much to part with him than a buyer is willing to spend.
Akers is a good call. The wild card is whether they bring in a bigger name free agent that can be had on the cheap with the glut of them out there. They don’t appear to have the draft capital to invest in one.

Trey Lance could be another depending on how far Purdy takes the team in the playoffs. Could be another QB controversy in the offseason substituting Jimmy G for Purdy, with only draft capital supporting Lance.

Kadarius Toney: He is in KC with a whole offseason to get worked in. He has shown glimpses of electricity in the games he has been in. His value is going to go up significantly if there are no bad stories about him in the off season.
Similarly I was thinking Skyy Moore, with JuJu and Hardman perhaps going elsewhere, and MVS not exactly an impediment. That said, while Reid doesn’t often play rookies much, Moore hasn’t really shown any signs that he’ll amount to a valuable WR.

Tom Brady: Again, Brady is a FA this offseason, and he (like lebron) is only going to go to a team that is a QB away from winning it all. So, teams that have a chance for his services (outside of resigning w tampa) are Miami (don't discount the stephen ross love affair w Brady), San Fran (I doubt this), Arizona, or back to Tampa.

In all of those cases he is going to have some really good WRs and barring the injury bug that hit Tampa this year, an O Line.

Akers is a good call. The wild card is whether they bring in a bigger name free agent that can be had on the cheap with the glut of them out there. They don’t appear to have the draft capital to invest in one.
Safe to say Kyren Williams is out of the picture? I was hoping they would use him that last few weeks to see what they had, but no interest ... or that he still has a lingering injury.

A lot of good calls a lot of you beat me to. Toney and especially Lance would have headed my list.

I'm not even going to list them out but I already can't wait till March to see how the FA market is going to go for RB's and the impact on so many players values. IMO nothing will have a bigger impact on off-season values then that FA RB movement. And along with that a few vets who could be released, like Fourneette, whose value would not soar but White's might. Some soaring values will be temporary, soon to be crushed by the draft but how both of those things go is going to change the landscape of the RB market more then any off-season in history, IMO.

Tom Brady: Again, Brady is a FA this offseason, and he (like lebron) is only going to go to a team that is a QB away from winning it all. So, teams that have a chance for his services (outside of resigning w tampa) are Miami (don't discount the stephen ross love affair w Brady), San Fran (I doubt this), Arizona, or back to Tampa.

In all of those cases he is going to have some really good WRs and barring the injury bug that hit Tampa this year, an O Line.
With how bad he has been this year and with the overall QB landscape for fantasy I just don't see Brady increasing in value much.........especially in 1 QB leagues. He is 45+ and has looked bad. I don't see the fantasy community propping up his value regardless of where he goes.

• Sky Moore - I expect the game to slow down for him, and the Chiefs to actively try to get him more involved. The kid has talent and draft capital going for him. Opportunity is the only limiting factor IMO
  • Alexander Mattison - UFA, could see him get a shot as a starter somewhere. I know at this point most of the dynasty community is sick of waiting for him, which makes him a nice buy-low. Worth throwing a pick or marginal player at, IMO. If he re-signs in MIN it might still work out, but that's less than ideal.

He just isn't very good anymore. He may play until he's 50, but that doesn't mean much for fantasy IMO.

A lot of good calls a lot of you beat me to. Toney and especially Lance would have headed my list.

I'm not even going to list them out but I already can't wait till March to see how the FA market is going to go for RB's and the impact on so many players values. IMO nothing will have a bigger impact on off-season values then that FA RB movement. And along with that a few vets who could be released, like Fourneette, whose value would not soar but White's might. Some soaring values will be temporary, soon to be crushed by the draft but how both of those things go is going to change the landscape of the RB market more then any off-season in history, IMO.
Completely agree with all of this.

Sky Moore - I expect the game to slow down for him, and the Chiefs to actively try to get him more involved. The kid has talent and draft capital going for him. Opportunity is the only limiting factor IMO
I agree with this statement but this seems to be more pushing for you to acquire him before next year when his value will go up because he is showing well in games. I don't really see him increasing value in the off season because he really hasn't shown well this year so I don't think his value increases in the off season. I do think he is a good buy low and that his value will increase due to him figuring it out during the 2023 season.

I think if I was making a list that was not tied to FA I'd start with Lance and have Pickens next.

My comp for PIckens coming in was Dez Bryant. Dez did this in 12 games vs Pickens 15 but at this point in their rookie seasons their target load is almost dead equal.

Dez: 73/45/561/6

Pickens: 74/47/700/3

Not telling anyone here what they don't already know, that Pickens just needs to be more involved. I lived in the Dallas area when Dez was a rookie and I can recall people going nuts on sports radio that he was being under-utilized and Pickens has been even more under-utilized. I still believe strongly in the comp and fully expect PIckens role and ascension next season to grow.

Sky Moore - I expect the game to slow down for him, and the Chiefs to actively try to get him more involved. The kid has talent and draft capital going for him. Opportunity is the only limiting factor IMO
I agree with this statement but this seems to be more pushing for you to acquire him before next year when his value will go up because he is showing well in games. I don't really see him increasing value in the off season because he really hasn't shown well this year so I don't think his value increases in the off season. I do think he is a good buy low and that his value will increase due to him figuring it out during the 2023 season.
Solid point, and yes - that's probably more accurate. I guess I was thinking if some of the flotsam the Chiefs have at WR gets out of the way in the off-season it opens the door, so a little value bump is possible. MVS could be released - it wasn't a great value for KC, and they built in an out-clause in his contract. If that happens, and if the Chiefs don't draft an early WR, then Moore's value could jump a bit.

Johan Dotson

I wish I had a share.
I love the player, hate the team. Not sure what Wentz will do to that value. His ascension seemed directly tied to Heineke at QB.

But I do like the call, and I also wish I had shares.
I get the "hate the team" stance and in this case, "hate the QB" but as well as he has performed with the crap they have, imagine if they actually upgrade their QB to even "average".

Might be a chance to still buy fairly low in dynasty. I have a couple of late 1sts I am going to offer up for him once the playoffs are over. As a 49er fan, watched the whole game (twice) this week and he has the wow factor. Great game and that was with a 40 yarder called back on a holding penalty.

Safe to say Kyren Williams is out of the picture? I was hoping they would use him that last few weeks to see what they had, but no interest ... or that he still has a lingering injury.
Good question. Seems more and more likely that the preseason hype for Kyren was coachspeak. Kind of bummed because I held onto Kyren for many weeks after the Akers issues first started and Henderson was released, thinking there may have been a diamond in the rough with him.

They were just discussing this situation on Boston radio. They were hypothesizing that Brady, Gronk, and Edelman would all go to MIA on below market deals. That offense would be insane if they had anything still left in the tank.

Johan Dotson

I wish I had a share.
I love the player, hate the team. Not sure what Wentz will do to that value. His ascension seemed directly tied to Heineke at QB.

But I do like the call, and I also wish I had shares.
Not sure either QB will be back next year. In any event, Dotson produced just fine early in the season before he got hurt with Wentz throwing him the ball.

Also, may be obvious, but I think both Olave and Wilson have a chance to ascend to elite WR status next year, especially if they can get some QB stability. I also think that potential will be (over)incorporated into their market price. If either team gets someone like Jimmy G or Carr, do the WRs go in the second round of redraft?

They were just discussing this situation on Boston radio. They were hypothesizing that Brady, Gronk, and Edelman would all go to MIA on below market deals. That offense would be insane if they had anything still left in the tank.
Brady is unlikely (also not sure he's enough of an upgrade for them to blow up the Tua experiment). Gronk is even less likely. But EDELMAN?!?!?!? :lmao:

Dude was washed two years ago. And it's not like Miami is desperate for WRs.

I get that it's Boston sports radio, but c'mon!

Troy Andersen (ATL-LB): IDP pick here. He is finally getting PT and is performing well. He was injured early and was a bit of a project heading into the season. I think you can get him extremely cheap and on ATL defense he should be a good IDP play next year.

Dayo Odeyingbo (IND-DE): Another IDP choice. He has put up sacks each of the last few weeks and is finally getting the snaps. I think he will be opposite Kwitty Paye next year and will be a monster.

Some good ones already mentioned and agree with Meno about Pickens in a big way...a few more:

*Trevor Lawrence-turning into the franchise QB everyone thought he would be...this one is obvious but if you want him, buy now because the price will only continue to go up

*Chiggy Okonkwo-TE has been tough this year and this kid has showed some real upside

*DPJ-has had a sneaky good year...Browns don't have a #1 and the FA WRs are a weak group, so he is primed for another jump.

*Terance Marshall-long-shot here but he is starting to make plays and if Carolina can figure out the QB position he could become relevant

*Drake London/Kyle Pitts-if Atlanta brings in at least a functional QB the value of these two will spike dramatically

*Chris Olave-kid has proven he can put up #'s with mediocre QBs...imagine what he can do if the Saints can upgrade the position

*James Cook-I am a big fan (more than most) and think he is just starting to scratch the surface of his talent...not saying he will be top 10, but he will be a quality back with blow-up potential

*Pierre Strong-Pats have a ton of holes to fill other than RB and he is starting to show something...has a chance to be decent FF bench depth next year

*Pat Freiermuth-just looks the part...got a chance to turn into an elite FF TE

*DeVonta Smith-I think he is underrated right now...AJB gets a ton of love but DeVonta has a chance to be a consistent high-end #2 like Tee Higgins is with Cincy

Brady is unlikely (also not sure he's enough of an upgrade for them to blow up the Tua experiment). Gronk is even less likely. But EDELMAN?!?!?!? :lmao:

Dude was washed two years ago. And it's not like Miami is desperate for WRs.

I get that it's Boston sports radio, but c'mon!
The scuttlebutt on this (as they were discussing it) was JE11 was too injured to play at the time he got hurt, but with time off may have recovered to the point he could try to play again. It's rumored that all three guys have already discussed going somewhere and playing together again.

In 2020, Edleman had a game with 8 receptions for 180 yards with Cam Newton before he got hurt (and we all know Cam can barely throw these days). Gronk put up 55-800-6 in 12 games last year. Both guys could likely chip in more than the options MIA has been using this season. Their third receiving option, Trent Sherfield, has contributed 387 receiving yards this season. Edelman and Gronk likely are situational players that would contribute on a limited number of snaps, but they could certainly be open targets with defenses having to focus on Hill and Waddle.

I don't expect this to happen, but I don't think it is as crazy as it sounds.

Kareem Hunt
Not sure about him - really depends on his landing spot. With several other FAs likely to be ahead of him, and his age and this year’s production not helping him, I think he ends up in another committee situation. Could be even less desirable than Cleveland.

Calvin Ridley

This is of course assuming his mental health is good and he is committed to football. If so, seems a perfect fit with Lawrence assending into top 10 QB range. I mean, look at how well Zay Jones has done this year and Ridley is way more talented. Plus, probably pretty cheap in drafts.

Calvin Ridley

This is of course assuming his mental health is good and he is committed to football. If so, seems a perfect fit with Lawrence assending into top 10 QB range. I mean, look at how well Zay Jones has done this year and Ridley is way more talented. Plus, probably pretty cheap in drafts.
Ridley is a good call. My only concern if he makes it back both mentally and physically would be too many mouths to feed in that offense. Great for Trevor but not necessarily for Ridley’s fantasy value.

The scuttlebutt on this (as they were discussing it) was JE11 was too injured to play at the time he got hurt, but with time off may have recovered to the point he could try to play again. It's rumored that all three guys have already discussed going somewhere and playing together again.
I've heard from more reliable sources he has a bone on bone issue in his knee and was a miracle he could make it through his last season. I don't think that recovers.

Kareem Hunt
Not sure about him - really depends on his landing spot. With several other FAs likely to be ahead of him, and his age and this year’s production not helping him, I think he ends up in another committee situation. Could be even less desirable than Cleveland.
Anything COULD happen, but if you were a betting man, you betting his value goes up or down?
With the glut of FAs and rookies, my gut says down. There aren’t too many more run heavy teams than the Browns and I think he’ll get at most a 50/50 shot on a less run heavy team.

Calvin Ridley

Ridley is a good call. My only concern if he makes it back both mentally and physically would be too many mouths to feed in that offense. Great for Trevor but not necessarily for Ridley’s fantasy value.
He's so head and shoulders better then anyone else they have I don't even remotely worry about the mouths to feed. He's going to explode.

Calvin Ridley

He's so head and shoulders better than anyone else they have I don't even remotely worry about the mouths to feed. He's going to explode.
I agree Ridley is better than Kirk/Zay, but the latter two are not slouches. And Kirk has a big time investment by the team.

Reading the thread title again I think some of us have been answering wrong. Seems like it's not asking which players performance will ascend next year but which players will see a value jump when no games are going.

In that sense it seems 90% of the names should be FA's, trade candidates or a player who a trade,release of another player or letting a player walk in FA would jump their value.

Otherwise seems all you got is off-season chatter which does change things. And Ridley was one that really fits because he's out of sight and mind to a lot of people.

I've heard from more reliable sources he has a bone on bone issue in his knee and was a miracle he could make it through his last season. I don't think that recovers.
I heard that too, but it is possible to get artificial cartilage injections and / or build up muscle around the area to make things more palatable to be able to play. It won't be as good as new, but it's possible to be able to play. How well, how long, how much pain . . . those are all valid questions. Players try to play banged up all the time. I would guess Edelman returning would fall in the "unlikely" category, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't want to give it a go.

Calvin Ridley

He's so head and shoulders better than anyone else they have I don't even remotely worry about the mouths to feed. He's going to explode.
I agree Ridley is better than Kirk/Zay, but the latter two are not slouches. And Kirk has a big time investment by the team.
He's a different level and he's not a cheap investment either.

Calvin Ridley

He's so head and shoulders better then anyone else they have I don't even remotely worry about the mouths to feed. He's going to explode.
He's also about to turn 29, and hasn't played football in a while. I'd be a little concerned about the other mouths to feed - but I do think he'll be worth significantly more in 2023 than he was in 2022, so appropriate for this topic for sure.

As an aside, if I were a Ridley shareholder, I would sell the second he steps on a field in 2023. I can't help but think there's another shoe to drop here - it was super suspicious at the time, and from his comments I didn't exactly get the impression that he thought he did anything wrong.

Calvin Ridley

He's also about to turn 29, and hasn't played football in a while. I'd be a little concerned about the other mouths to feed - but I do think he'll be worth significantly more in 2023 than he was in 2022, so appropriate for this topic for sure.

As an aside, if I were a Ridley shareholder, I would sell the second he steps on a field in 2023. I can't help but think there's another shoe to drop here - it was super suspicious at the time, and from his comments I didn't exactly get the impression that he thought he did anything wrong.
He won't turn 29 until the season is almost over. That's a 28 year old to me.

I think the layoff and his mental state are wildly overrated by people on these boards and I've been preaching since last off-season to buy buy buy. I am extremely confident of that stance. I don't think people realize how good he is.

Calvin Ridley

He won't turn 29 until the season is almost over. That's a 28 year old to me.

I think the layoff and his mental state are wildly overrated by people on these boards and I've been preaching since last off-season to buy buy buy. I am extremely confident of that stance. I don't think people realize how good he is.
I had him 3 years in a row in redraft. He was my 2021 steal of the draft until he wasn't. I definitely realize how good he was.

That said, I would take him at a steep discount in redraft. If I had a win-now roster in dynasty I'd consider throwing a pick at the owner for him for sure. He is a good player. I'm not sure he'll ever be what he was that one magical year.

I guess we'll find out next year.

Reading the thread title again I think some of us have been answering wrong. Seems like it's not asking which players performance will ascend next year but which players will see a value jump when no games are going.
Correct - I was thinking more along the lines of whose values rise sight unseen, hence the initial Bateman reference.

But it’s fine to also mention who we expect to spike in production - any discussion is good discussion.

Correct - I was thinking more along the lines of whose values rise sight unseen, hence the initial Bateman reference.

But it’s fine to also mention who we expect to spike in production - any discussion is good discussion.

I think it's the same thing...their value will go up this offseason because you expect a spike in production next season.

Last edited:
Calvin Ridley

For the sake of accuracy, he just turned 28 (Born Dec 20, 1994)

I picked him up and rostered him in both my keeper leagues and my contract dynasty (guy dropped him because he needed the contract years). I'm taking the opposite viewpoint and would be trying to trade for him since he is probably pretty cheap still. Elite route runner who should thrive with Lawrence in a Doug Peterson offense.

Not really worried about him being out the last year plus. Hopefully, he had time to contemplate how fortunate he is to get another chance to make millions playing a game and takes full advantage.

We shall see

Users who are viewing this thread