What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Buckethead Appreciation Thread (1 Viewer)

I don't think it needs further explanation. 

as much as I have the opposite thought.
I don't get out much anymore, hardly at all. And even rarer am I out hearing a new band for the first time, but this is just wild to me. I'd never heard At The Drive-In the first time I saw them live, I can't imagine just going to sit outside while they played.

His playing style (regardless of genre) is unconventional and intentionally weird.  I have a new age-ish album he put out and it sounds like Wyndham Hill on shrooms.  He's not a sell-out sort of guy, so even though many artists have considered bringing him on as a hired gun because he is crazy good, it's rarely a fit.  For that reason, he's remained relatively obscure and out of the mainstream.
holy crap... wyndham hill. that guy? is it really michael hedges, who actually faked his death and donned a bucket instead?

:shrug:  My favorite part of music is being able to sing along (sorry if you are standing next to me at a concert).  I listen to new music almost all day at work, trying to find new stuff I like, but there is a lot out there I don't enjoy, and if the Deftones happen to fall into that category, its going to be a real boring hour or two waiting for GnR.

:shrug:  My favorite part of music is being able to sing along (sorry if you are standing next to me at a concert).  I listen to new music almost all day at work, trying to find new stuff I like, but there is a lot out there I don't enjoy, and if the Deftones happen to fall into that category, its going to be a real boring hour or two waiting for GnR.
if only there was a way to find out prior to walking out on them.

I want to cry and therefore, I am now leaving this thread.  Forever.  Or until I see GNR in Vegas in November, if that comes together.  I will pray for your soul.

I want to cry and therefore, I am now leaving this thread.  Forever.  Or until I see GNR in Vegas in November, if that comes together.  I will pray for your soul.
Has the Guns n Roses thread really turned into the thread where people judge others for the musical tastes?  Really?

Sounds like you may have inside information. Why did he decide on a KFC bucket on his head?
It's not always a KFC bucket, and he even did a few shows in the early days with a stocking cap instead of a bucket, but he has ALWAYS played with the mask. As for WHY he opted for the get up, I can only speculate. I actually did a report on his band for my music appreciation class in college, and I never really felt like I got the real answer to that question. As part of his performance art (don't know what else I'd call it) he created a character, complete with a twisted back story. A young mute child who was abandoned and later found and raised by a psychotic family on a chicken farm (or something like that). Over his career, he has sort of weaved this backstory tapestry of weirdness throughout a lot of his work. Given that he only performs as this character, he doesn't appear on stage without a mask, and he doesn't talk (though he has been known to vocalize by speaking through his guitar pickups).  So it could be performance art. That's my best guess. It could also be because he's quiet and despite having all the chops in the world, he was never going to be the bombastic guitar hero in spandex pants. So he went to the other end of the spectrum where he doesn't have to show his face or speak. But despite being quiet, he wasn't what I would call shy. So I don't think it was that. I think he just liked embracing the weird. 

As a guitar player, seeing him play up close in the late 80s and early 90s was just awe-inspiring. There was nothing he couldn't play, and he was doing things I'd never heard before. One of the things he did was play these incredibly fast tap solos using this crazy scale that sounded like a video game. Anyway, I've been a fan for nearly 30 years - and I get that he's not for everyone. 

It's not always a KFC bucket, and he even did a few shows in the early days with a stocking cap instead of a bucket, but he has ALWAYS played with the mask. As for WHY he opted for the get up, I can only speculate. I actually did a report on his band for my music appreciation class in college, and I never really felt like I got the real answer to that question. As part of his performance art (don't know what else I'd call it) he created a character, complete with a twisted back story. A young mute child who was abandoned and later found and raised by a psychotic family on a chicken farm (or something like that). Over his career, he has sort of weaved this backstory tapestry of weirdness throughout a lot of his work. Given that he only performs as this character, he doesn't appear on stage without a mask, and he doesn't talk (though he has been known to vocalize by speaking through his guitar pickups).  So it could be performance art. That's my best guess. It could also be because he's quiet and despite having all the chops in the world, he was never going to be the bombastic guitar hero in spandex pants. So he went to the other end of the spectrum where he doesn't have to show his face or speak. But despite being quiet, he wasn't what I would call shy. So I don't think it was that. I think he just liked embracing the weird. 

As a guitar player, seeing him play up close in the late 80s and early 90s was just awe-inspiring. There was nothing he couldn't play, and he was doing things I'd never heard before. One of the things he did was play these incredibly fast tap solos using this crazy scale that sounded like a video game. Anyway, I've been a fan for nearly 30 years - and I get that he's not for everyone. 
he's daft punk.

eta: or more like dork punk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Going on Sunday!

:headbang:
WOW. exceeded expectations. 3 hours. They were awesome

only negative of note was Axl seemed to struggle in parts.  He may have been pacing himself...belted out all the big important iconic parts throughout concert  

WOW. exceeded expectations. 3 hours. They were awesome

only negative of note was Axl seemed to struggle in parts.  He may have been pacing himself...belted out all the big important iconic parts throughout concert  
I thought he sounded awesome.  Slash was amazing as well.  The only complaint I have falls into the category of "well duh" but I would categorize their 3 hour set as an hour and a half of awesome rock and roll and an hour and a half of solos.

Brought my 15 year old.  It was his first concert, except for Weezer a few years ago but we only stayed for a couple of songs (it was outside and we were underdressed).  He said it was great, and it probably set the bar high for concerts for him going forward.

Yeah I won't argue with anyone that feels Axl sounded good.  He certainly pulled it off, but I just think some songs he held back quite a bit, not going for the high/long notes and/or leaving out sequences entirely.  

I didn't get the feeling it was half solos...28 songs by my rough count.  And one of the solos was The Godfather. Of course several of their songs have long slash solos...estranged, coma, November rain etc. 

i bought a $250 seat which made me squeamish. By the end of the night i felt like I owed them more. Estranged gave me chills (but it is one of my all time favs)

Yeah I won't argue with anyone that feels Axl sounded good.  He certainly pulled it off, but I just think some songs he held back quite a bit, not going for the high/long notes and/or leaving out sequences entirely.  

I didn't get the feeling it was half solos...28 songs by my rough count.  And one of the solos was The Godfather. Of course several of their songs have long slash solos...estranged, coma, November rain etc. 

i bought a $250 seat which made me squeamish. By the end of the night i felt like I owed them more. Estranged gave me chills (but it is one of my all time favs)
For Axl, I could see that he held back and didn't push everything to the limit.  I think he was able to hit everything in his range, but I have a feeling if he was full throttle the whole time, he wouldn't last 3 hours.  The one thing I found strange was he said all of three things to the crowd all night?  "Nice place you have here," "how are you feeling?" and "good to hear" was it as far as audience interaction.  I'm not complaining, as it was better than the soap box he'd get on, or complain about this or that.  Just seemed different.

For the solo's, my take is that if you write most of your songs with elaborate solos (November Rain has, what, 3 solo's just by itself?) you don't need to do multiple different songs just for the sake of doing another solo.  Slash is undoubtedly one of the greatest guitarist alive, but that doesn't mean I want to listen to him shred for 15 straight minutes, only to be interuppted briefly to play an actual song.  Plus, the solo's in the various songs are drawn out even longer than on the record version.  I get some people may enjoy that, and think it is better than listening to songs just how they are recorded considering how old they are.  I'm not one of those people, I want to hear the song the way I know and love it.  I don't need the instrumental parts to be elaborated, elongated, and freestyled to the point where I can't even recognize it.  Just my opinion.

For Axl, I could see that he held back and didn't push everything to the limit.  I think he was able to hit everything in his range, but I have a feeling if he was full throttle the whole time, he wouldn't last 3 hours.  The one thing I found strange was he said all of three things to the crowd all night?  "Nice place you have here," "how are you feeling?" and "good to hear" was it as far as audience interaction.  I'm not complaining, as it was better than the soap box he'd get on, or complain about this or that.  Just seemed different.

For the solo's, my take is that if you write most of your songs with elaborate solos (November Rain has, what, 3 solo's just by itself?) you don't need to do multiple different songs just for the sake of doing another solo.  Slash is undoubtedly one of the greatest guitarist alive, but that doesn't mean I want to listen to him shred for 15 straight minutes, only to be interuppted briefly to play an actual song.  Plus, the solo's in the various songs are drawn out even longer than on the record version.  I get some people may enjoy that, and think it is better than listening to songs just how they are recorded considering how old they are.  I'm not one of those people, I want to hear the song the way I know and love it.  I don't need the instrumental parts to be elaborated, elongated, and freestyled to the point where I can't even recognize it.  Just my opinion.
WRONG THREAD.

Really interesting thread. Did not know Buckethead was a virtuoso, but thanks to BB's comment, I've been schooled in the likes of guitar players wearing KFC buckets on their head. 

Kind of awesome, really.  

Really disagree here. I don't recall the solos being longer than on the albums. If anything they seemed to be doing dead on renditions, usually to the note, of the songs as they appear in the albums. Including all the solos.

if you're not into guitar solos, this kind of music may not be for you. 

Really disagree here. I don't recall the solos being longer than on the albums. If anything they seemed to be doing dead on renditions, usually to the note, of the songs as they appear in the albums. Including all the solos.

if you're not into guitar solos, this kind of music may not be for you. 
Really?  Hmm.  I'll have to break out my CD again, but I didn't remember a 10 minute intro to Sweet Child o Mine.  I'll have to check that out.  Maybe Spotify only has the radio edit an my memory is foggy.

I know this is the thread of Buckethead, but if there's one metal guitarist I'd actually like to hear play a long-winded guitar solo, it's Slash.

I know this is the thread of Buckethead, but if there's one metal guitarist I'd actually like to hear play a long-winded guitar solo, it's Slash.
This sums up what I was about to write (minus the Buckethead reference...hehe).  Slash solos, to me, blend right into the concert.  Other bands, it feels exactly what it is meant to be...a break for the other artists and a chance to flaunt some technical skills. 

This is especially true for any Slash solo that is part of a song, even if he ad-libs (or maybe especially if he does).  Coma, Estranged, the back 1/3rd of November Rain, etc etc.  ALthough I dont recall those being extended.  Double Talkin Jive was extended and awesome.  The lead in to Sweet Child was the "Godfather plus other stuff" sequence so I didn't feel that was just a Sweet Child intro (don't recall what led right into the song).  (Sweet Child by the way....barf.  I never got into that one, and the crowd erupted when they started it).

I could have done without the voice-box thingy that went on for a while though....don't recall where that fit in.

Disclaimer:  I know nothing about playing guitar other than I like what I hear when Slash plays, and it looks like its very hard to do.

Trying to figure out if I can find my way to another concert on this tour down the road.  Could be the last chance.

Bottom line just glad to have seen them and share it with random internet strangers.

Some thoughts on the Detroit show

Wasnt loud enough.   We had like top row seats though and I'm sure how good the new arena is for acoustics, but I could hear the people next to me talking if that gives you any indication 

Axl sounded pretty bad, although towards the end he seemed to pick it up a little 

Slash killed it.  Loved the Wish You Were Here cover 

5 songs from Chinese Democracy is probably 5 too many

Some thoughts on the Detroit show

Wasnt loud enough.   We had like top row seats though and I'm sure how good the new arena is for acoustics, but I could hear the people next to me talking if that gives you any indication 

Axl sounded pretty bad, although towards the end he seemed to pick it up a little 

Slash killed it.  Loved the Wish You Were Here cover 

5 songs from Chinese Democracy is probably 5 too many
Going to the Milwaukee show on Tuesday. I'm hoping for a better experience.

Users who are viewing this thread