What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Buckethead Appreciation Thread (1 Viewer)

It's their job. Being "awesome rock band people love" is a job.  Parts of my job are boring to me but thrill other people.  Same for most people.  That's what I really appreciated with the shows I saw - no attitudes and bull#### like they used to do. They were committed to performing the music really really well. 

I believe San Diego is the last stop on this leg then they go to South America. 
Methinks you're overstating this just a bit. 

No, I'm not. 
I saw Malcolm Gladwell speak a couple weeks ago. He talked about how he was really good at finding hidden stories because that was his job and that it just becomes routine after enough practice. Kind of imagine that's how rock gods are.

I'm really good at on camera tv interviews because I've done a ton or them.

I know this is a GnR thread but didn't feel like starting up a new AC/DC thread and everyone in here sounds like we are of the same mindset. :no hijack:

Saw Axl with AC/DC last night on the Final show (ever?) of this AC/DC tour. I have to admit that it was way better than I thought. Yeah Axl is puffy fat and not the same dude I saw at Giants Stadium when they filmed the Paradise City Video but he was really good.

His voice is high enough to hit some of those Brian Johnson vocals and sneery enough to capture a smidge of Bon Scott. I knew the Brian Johnson was a good fit...wasn't expecting ANY Bon Scott sounds. That blew me away.

Had tickets in the nose bleeds, but it was the nephew's first rock show so Uncle Dope got us down on the floor and we found a place with some cool people and just aisle headbanged all night. ALL NIGHT. That's the greatest thing about AC/DC...You Shook Me All Night Long is their ballad ferchristsakes.

Great show. 25 songs...I guarantee you know at least 22 of them. Set List

Great night all around. In Philly of all places. 3 of my all-time WORST concert experiences happened in Philly.

Ticket to get in the building - $100 a pop

Upgrading to Floor - Free if you got enough balls and a little luck

Watching a 17 year old as his head blows completely off - Priceless

I know this is a GnR thread but didn't feel like starting up a new AC/DC thread and everyone in here sounds like we are of the same mindset. :no hijack:

Saw Axl with AC/DC last night on the Final show (ever?) of this AC/DC tour. I have to admit that it was way better than I thought. Yeah Axl is puffy fat and not the same dude I saw at Giants Stadium when they filmed the Paradise City Video but he was really good.

His voice is high enough to hit some of those Brian Johnson vocals and sneery enough to capture a smidge of Bon Scott. I knew the Brian Johnson was a good fit...wasn't expecting ANY Bon Scott sounds. That blew me away.

Had tickets in the nose bleeds, but it was the nephew's first rock show so Uncle Dope got us down on the floor and we found a place with some cool people and just aisle headbanged all night. ALL NIGHT. That's the greatest thing about AC/DC...You Shook Me All Night Long is their ballad ferchristsakes.

Great show. 25 songs...I guarantee you know at least 22 of them. Set List

Great night all around. In Philly of all places. 3 of my all-time WORST concert experiences happened in Philly.

Ticket to get in the building - $100 a pop

Upgrading to Floor - Free if you got enough balls and a little luck

Watching a 17 year old as his head blows completely off - Priceless
You, sir, deserve the Uncle of the Year Award.  Well done.

Bull Dozier said:
Got my tickets for Minneapolis for the leg next year.  Will be my 15 year olds' first real concert.  Odds this thing is still going?
Show was awesome. At the movie theater the other day one of the previews was for the GnR tour still going in 2017. Been a huge success. No reason for it to stop. 

Marlins Park Aug 8th...my last memory unfortunately is seeing Fernandez pitch a lot of games there including his last one and I wasn't sure when I was going back. 

1st time back in the building to see a GnR show would be just fine with me. Miami, have to go for the show. Tickets go on sale Sat I think.

Show was awesome. At the movie theater the other day one of the previews was for the GnR tour still going in 2017. Been a huge success. No reason for it to stop. 
No, there's no reason for it to stop other than Axl regressing to the mean at some point.  As far as I can tell, he's been extraordinarily well behaved thus far.

No, there's no reason for it to stop other than Axl regressing to the mean at some point.  As far as I can tell, he's been extraordinarily well behaved thus far.
He's not 20 anymore.  He's almost an old man.  I don't see him getting liquored up and showing up to shows at midnight at his age.  They're going to be in Rolling Stones territory in no time.  Just a bunch of old dudes who a bunch of us other old dudes go and see if only for nostalgia purposes.  But at least for now they're still not ancient, and they still rock and sound great. :shrug:

Bull Dozier said:
Got my tickets for Minneapolis for the leg next year.  Will be my 15 year olds' first real concert.  Odds this thing is still going?
I'll echo the other responses that I think this is a different Axl. There seems to be no indication that he's going to implode and regress to previous bad habits.

I went to the Cincy show in July. Absolutely fantastic. I was expecting a pretty good show but it was much better than I anticipated. The cherry on top was that this show was the first one with Adler coming out for two songs on drums. He had a smile ear to ear and I'm not sure who was loving it more.

Are there new songs? If not, how are you not bored to tears over all their old songs?  I can't turn Welcome to the Jungle off fast enough when it comes on the radio.  Same with most of their songs.  They had two albums....right?  

Are there new songs? If not, how are you not bored to tears over all their old songs?  I can't turn Welcome to the Jungle off fast enough when it comes on the radio.  Same with most of their songs.  They had two albums....right?  
There was the good one, the EP with "Patience", the double album that had a whole lot of junk on it, then the album of punk covers (and a cover of a Charles Manson song, not making that up), then I think Axl did a crappy one with Buckethead (?) that he took 15 years to make, and then wa la, here we are.

Their Wikipedia page is an awesome read. I never paid attention to their beef with Dr. Pepper, or one former member suing the band because of his likeness being used on the Guns n Roses pinball game. Or that there was a guy names DJ Ashba in that band for years. I'm really fascinated by the "Axl and Friends" era.

Going on Sunday!

:headbang:
Will be there as well.

Anyone who has seen them lately have an idea what time they have been taking the stage?  I'm not really interested in the opener, so I am hoping to plan it right where I can skip them and get in in time to see them start.

There was the good one, the EP with "Patience", the double album that had a whole lot of junk on it, then the album of punk covers (and a cover of a Charles Manson song, not making that up), then I think Axl did a crappy one with Buckethead (?) that he took 15 years to make, and then wa la, here we are.

Their Wikipedia page is an awesome read. I never paid attention to their beef with Dr. Pepper, or one former member suing the band because of his likeness being used on the Guns n Roses pinball game. Or that there was a guy names DJ Ashba in that band for years. I'm really fascinated by the "Axl and Friends" era.
I saw Axl and Friends twice :bag:

One time was bucket head,  I think bumble foot was the other.  Or maybe he was in addition.   Who knows 

Also spaghetti incident is awesome 

Will be there as well.

Anyone who has seen them lately have an idea what time they have been taking the stage?  I'm not really interested in the opener, so I am hoping to plan it right where I can skip them and get in in time to see them start.
Saw them last night here in St. Louis. Remember, the last time they were here, Axl was ticketed for starting a riot. That was in 1991. I was at that one too.

So let's see, very early in this thread there was "This guy didn't like touring in his prime. He's 400 lbs and lost his voice."

He wasn't rail thin Axl, but he was not the chunk in that Paradise City meme. He could absolutely belt it just as good as in his prime and with all the rage that made him phenomenal 20 years ago. They hit the stage at about 7:40 and played non stop till a little after 11. Slash did three different solos and never left the stage for more than a minute or two. The rest took off during his solos. 

It was an absolutely sick show. Any other concert I go to, I will compare to this one. Just ridiculous. Even the sound check was cool, if somewhat ineffective. Axl's mike was not loud enough for the first song and a half. After that, he was amazing. He was running up and down the stage. Slash was, well Slash. And Duff was badass as always. Definitely worth the money and would see them again in a heart beat. 

I had freinds who saw them recently and they said it was great.  I was dead wrong.
My first inclination was, "Yeah, Axl is fat and probably can't sing anymore, but I was at the riot in 1991. I'm going back." A whole lot of people missed on this one. 

Brian Patrick Carroll (born May 13, 1969), known professionally as Buckethead, is an American guitarist and multi-instrumentalist who has worked within many genres of music. He has released 294 studio albums, four special releases, and one EP
Awesome. :lmao:

Ozzy Osbourne:

"I tried out that Buckethead guy. I met with him and asked him to work with me but only if he got rid of the ####### bucket. So I came back a bit later and he's wearing this green ####### Martian's-hat thing. I said, 'Look, just be yourself!' He told me his name was Brian, so I said that's what I'd call him. He says, 'No one calls me Brian except my mother.' So I said, 'Pretend I'm your mum then!' I haven't even got out of the room and I'm already playing ####### mind games with the guy. What happens if one day he's gone and there's a note saying, 'I've been beamed up?' [Laughs] Don't get me wrong, he's a great player. He plays like a mother####er!"

Ozzy Osbourne:

"I tried out that Buckethead guy. I met with him and asked him to work with me but only if he got rid of the ####### bucket. So I came back a bit later and he's wearing this green ####### Martian's-hat thing. I said, 'Look, just be yourself!' He told me his name was Brian, so I said that's what I'd call him. He says, 'No one calls me Brian except my mother.' So I said, 'Pretend I'm your mum then!' I haven't even got out of the room and I'm already playing ####### mind games with the guy. What happens if one day he's gone and there's a note saying, 'I've been beamed up?' [Laughs] Don't get me wrong, he's a great player. He plays like a mother####er!"
:lmao:

Saw them last night here in St. Louis. Remember, the last time they were here, Axl was ticketed for starting a riot. That was in 1991. I was at that one too.

So let's see, very early in this thread there was "This guy didn't like touring in his prime. He's 400 lbs and lost his voice."

He wasn't rail thin Axl, but he was not the chunk in that Paradise City meme. He could absolutely belt it just as good as in his prime and with all the rage that made him phenomenal 20 years ago. They hit the stage at about 7:40 and played non stop till a little after 11. Slash did three different solos and never left the stage for more than a minute or two. The rest took off during his solos. 

It was an absolutely sick show. Any other concert I go to, I will compare to this one. Just ridiculous. Even the sound check was cool, if somewhat ineffective. Axl's mike was not loud enough for the first song and a half. After that, he was amazing. He was running up and down the stage. Slash was, well Slash. And Duff was badass as always. Definitely worth the money and would see them again in a heart beat. 
What was the start time of the opener?  It's 7:00 here, so I'm wondering if I show by 8 if that's early enough, or was the opener real short?

I saw them in '91 at the metrodome.  They didn't take the stage until over two hours after Metallica finished.  Show was decent but at that point, the vibe was weird.  I saw them again on one of the many Chinese Democracy tours with Stinson, and I'm not sure who else.  Axl sounded good, but there was no Slash.  I'm looking forward to seeing him for sure.

What was the start time of the opener?  It's 7:00 here, so I'm wondering if I show by 8 if that's early enough, or was the opener real short?

I saw them in '91 at the metrodome.  They didn't take the stage until over two hours after Metallica finished.  Show was decent but at that point, the vibe was weird.  I saw them again on one of the many Chinese Democracy tours with Stinson, and I'm not sure who else.  Axl sounded good, but there was no Slash.  I'm looking forward to seeing him for sure.
The show was pushed up to 6 about 10 days before. Deftones played till about 6:45.

I hope you didn't skip them.  Deftones rule.
We did and we didn't. Parked at a bar a few miles away that had a shuttle. One to the concert and one to the Cardinals game (also a few miles away). There was also a convention at the convention center next to the dome where GnFR played. We finally got a cab because the trolley was no where to be seen. Even then they had to drop us off about 4 blocks away and hoof it. Caught about half their set. 

YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH!

*hung out with buckethead a lot during college when he was playing local clubs 
I suppose I seemed to discount the fact that he is an awesome guitar player- I just had a hard time taking him seriously with that getup. I've only seen him make special appearances here and there, and I got to the point where I was like "oh, great, now I want KFC. Why doesn't he throw me a leg?"

and ftr, I'd never even heard of buckethead until today. other than a childhood little league team mate eric, who we called buckethead. different than derrick, who we called wafflebelly.

and ftr, I'd never even heard of buckethead until today. other than a childhood little league team mate eric, who we called buckethead. different than derrick, who we called wafflebelly.
His playing style (regardless of genre) is unconventional and intentionally weird.  I have a new age-ish album he put out and it sounds like Wyndham Hill on shrooms.  He's not a sell-out sort of guy, so even though many artists have considered bringing him on as a hired gun because he is crazy good, it's rarely a fit.  For that reason, he's remained relatively obscure and out of the mainstream.

Users who are viewing this thread