What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Alshon Jeffery - The Bandwagon (2 Viewers)

I got the "Sweet pick, Mel Kiper" cat calls for drafting this guy late in local keeper leagues. That's when you know you're all set. Feels good when people go to look for a guy like this on the WW and he's on your roster already. :shark:

Love Jeffery for depth, if not a potential solid flex/low to mid WR2 potential. Can't wait to watch closely next few weeks and really see what we've got here. Looked well worth the investment on that TD on Sunday. I'll be really happy with Marshall's table scraps in single coverage in support of a breakout Cutler/Marshall season.

I got the "Sweet pick, Mel Kiper" cat calls for drafting this guy late in local keeper leagues. That's when you know you're all set. Feels good when people go to look for a guy like this on the WW and he's on your roster already. :shark:

Love Jeffery for depth, if not a potential solid flex/low to mid WR2 potential. Can't wait to watch closely next few weeks and really see what we've got here. Looked well worth the investment on that TD on Sunday. I'll be really happy with Marshall's table scraps in single coverage in support of a breakout Cutler/Marshall season.
If you close your eyes and strain some have experience orgasms.

I should be buying right now shouldn't I.
I already did, but mostly because of how well Jeffery fits my favorite league, a heavy-TD, non-PPR redraft. I like to have at least one "swing for the fences" pick (by the way, don't leave out the n in that last word like I almost did) on my bench early in the year, because a Nate Burleson type with virtually no upside can be found all year long on the waiver wire, at least in this league.Looking at what was out there at rookie WRs, I just liked everything I saw about his situation, which I've already included in earlier posts. But I don't think he's as good of a fit in PPR or without TDs being emphasized.So I think whether or not he is a buy for you is dependent on your league and your receiving corps.

I got the "Sweet pick, Mel Kiper" cat calls for drafting this guy late in local keeper leagues. That's when you know you're all set. Feels good when people go to look for a guy like this on the WW and he's on your roster already. :shark: Love Jeffery for depth, if not a potential solid flex/low to mid WR2 potential. Can't wait to watch closely next few weeks and really see what we've got here. Looked well worth the investment on that TD on Sunday. I'll be really happy with Marshall's table scraps in single coverage in support of a breakout Cutler/Marshall season.
I'll admit it. When I saw that Jeffery was tied with Hill for highest recommended blind bidding recommendation among all free agents, it did feel sweet that he was already on my roster. I was high like this on Marshall in 2007, which worked out fabulously and got me a championship. But I also was high on Marc Boerigter coming into the 2003 season, which he rewarded with an 11-catch, 158-yard SEASON. And was part of why I finished with my worst fantasy season ever. Ouch! Not knowing for sure is what makes it interesting. Enjoy the ride!

My link

This is, awesome. I'm trying to temper my expectations, but a 6 TD floor in 2012 isn't unreasonable I don't think with all the factors there in the Bears offense.

Amazingly enough he was available this morning after all of the waiver claims had been processed for week 1. I love his situation. Marshall will get 2-1 or 3-1 targets, but he should face single coverage all year.

Dwayne Bowe 2.0? Erratic play but unstoppable when he's on.
I don't think we have near enough data to make any such comparison. Don't get me wrong, we're all speculating at this point. But that's a peculiar comment to me. Why Bowe specifically? And why do you think he'll be either erratic or unstoppable, or are you just think his play will somehow amplify the near universal highs and lows of virtually any rookie receiver?Just curious if you have a deeper insight or thought to make here.

'The Jerk said:
'ShaHBucks said:
I don't think we have near enough data to make any such comparison. Don't get me wrong, we're all speculating at this point. But that's a peculiar comment to me. Why Bowe specifically? And why do you think he'll be either erratic or unstoppable, or are you just think his play will somehow amplify the near universal highs and lows of virtually any rookie receiver?Just curious if you have a deeper insight or thought to make here.
Close to the same height, speed and weight for starters. Jeffery has the better hands, Bowe seems stronger. Just off of what I know I can't really say he has the work ethic to be Fitzgerald or Jordy Nelson but he does have the talent. That's where Bowe pops up. Bowe is great when he's on top of his game but is know to disappear for seasons at a time. That's how Jeffery's college career went from being mentioned with AJ. Green and Julio Jones in the SEC as a Sophomore to sliding in the 2012 NFL draft where he has the most physical talent of any WR in the class. I don't want to just chalk it to bad QB play because players like Fitz overcome things like that and produce, players like Bowe don't remain as professional when things get tough. I think him and Marshall can both produce this year but Cutler is known to play favorites. Who knows he can do with 15 targets. The erratic statement was to sum up his college career, he went from a 1st round pick to a 2nd-3rd round gamble.

'The Jerk said:
'ShaHBucks said:
Close to the same height, speed and weight for starters. Jeffery has the better hands, Bowe seems stronger. Just off of what I know I can't really say he has the work ethic to be Fitzgerald or Jordy Nelson but he does have the talent. That's where Bowe pops up. Bowe is great when he's on top of his game but is know to disappear for seasons at a time. That's how Jeffery's college career went from being mentioned with AJ. Green and Julio Jones in the SEC as a Sophomore to sliding in the 2012 NFL draft where he has the most physical talent of any WR in the class. I don't want to just chalk it to bad QB play because players like Fitz overcome things like that and produce, players like Bowe don't remain as professional when things get tough. I think him and Marshall can both produce this year but Cutler is known to play favorites. Who knows he can do with 15 targets. The erratic statement was to sum up his college career, he went from a 1st round pick to a 2nd-3rd round gamble.
Thank you. Exactly what I was looking for. I don't follow college football nearly as much as I did years ago and I miss out on a lot of the conversation that occurs before players are on the radar around the NFL draft. Thanks for filling in some pretty big gaps.

I love this kid....watched a highlight video on youtube (yes i know its highlights) and was sold. Had to draft him as a deep flier. Think he can be a good WR3 come midseason as he develops.

The talent is there and he has the skills to be an elite WR.

Love the talent, like the situation, time to sit back and watch how it plays out. I've found myself almost relaxing since the season started... nothing you can really do now other than determine how you evaluated things.

I would love to have Jeffery sitting on my dynasty roster right now as a wr5 or 6(crazy long term upside but probably going to have to wait a year on him).. Him and Cutler really are a perfect match, it's amazing. Kudos to the Bears GM

I love this kid....watched a highlight video on youtube (yes i know its highlights) and was sold. Had to draft him as a deep flier. Think he can be a good WR3 come midseason as he develops. The talent is there and he has the skills to be an elite WR.
Completely agree, IMO he's just as talented as Brandon Marshall and I think he can be a solid wr3 this year. Very glad that I own him in my dynasty league. :)

I love this kid....watched a highlight video on youtube (yes i know its highlights) and was sold. Had to draft him as a deep flier. Think he can be a good WR3 come midseason as he develops. The talent is there and he has the skills to be an elite WR.
Completely agree, IMO he's just as talented as Brandon Marshall and I think he can be a solid wr3 this year. Very glad that I own him in my dynasty league. :)
I think Brandon Marshall is a stretch... I think Jeffery has a lot of talent... but Marshall is borderline elite from a talent perspective. He probably would be up there with Andre and Fitz if he could keep his head on straight(which he has been doing for the past two years now)Someone compared him to Dwayne Bowe, I like that idea, I think that's around where he ends up

I love this kid....watched a highlight video on youtube (yes i know its highlights) and was sold. Had to draft him as a deep flier. Think he can be a good WR3 come midseason as he develops.

There are quite a few videos that show full games that isolate his plays (Link). What I came away with was that he's a big, strong receiver with enough agility and speed to get open and catches anything that hits his hands. Negatives were that he let himself get overweight last year, runs with an awkward gait and makes some boneheaded plays.

Overall I felt that the positives of his game, especially combined with a QB like Cutler, outweighed other concerns - especially when he showed up in shape for the combine.

I think Brandon Marshall is a stretch... I think Jeffery has a lot of talent... but Marshall is borderline elite from a talent perspective. He probably would be up there with Andre and Fitz if he could keep his head on straight(which he has been doing for the past two years now)Someone compared him to Dwayne Bowe, I like that idea, I think that's around where he ends up
I like the Bowe comparison.

I actually agree with the Bowe comparison as well. Both of them have a similar combination of size, speed and hands.

There are quite a few videos that show full games that isolate his plays (Link). What I came away with was that he's a big, strong receiver with enough agility and speed to get open and catches anything that hits his hands. Negatives were that he let himself get overweight last year, runs with an awkward gait and makes some boneheaded plays.

Overall I felt that the positives of his game, especially combined with a QB like Cutler, outweighed other concerns - especially when he showed up in shape for the combine.
nice link.. never crossed my mind to google like that..side note: Redraft If your WR3-4 looks like Crabtree, Little, Holmes, DHB, Burleson ect.. at this point why not give him a roster spot? Dynasty I'm not worried about Marshall longterm because he's a headcase. Wouldn't be shocked if Marshall isn't even on the team in two years. Once Cutler stops playing Buddy Ball they can both be 1000 yard WR's with Jeffery having a huge edge in TD's if all goes well in 2-3 years.

This isn't very scientific, but Jeffery seems like a pretty good fit for Cutler to me. Cutler doesn't mind flinging a deep shot if the play doesn't develop as anticipated, and Jeffery's strength is playing the ball in the air. Throw in a planned bomb like his TD last week here and there, and I could see an occasional explosion with a bunch of yards and a TD or two. Granted, it's hard to see him being all that consistent, and he doesn't appear to be the type of guy who's going to get 8 or 9 catches in a given game.

So... one way to look at tonight is that Jeffery has half of all wide receiver receptions and is outproducing Marshall through three quarters, right?
Havent watched the whole game but watching this second half and Jeffery has been open quite a few times, Jay just is zoning in on Marshall.Bears passing game isnt clicking and jay is holding the ball to long and his recievers are dropping balls.

Thank the Lord I had Jeffery paired with the Packers DEF/ST.

Still not worried though, obviously. Let's just hope Cutler watches enough game tape of this week to realize how many times he could have easily found Jefffery throughout. Although, I can't really blame him too much, the Bears O-Line was siimply outclassed tonight. Fo rizzle.

'in2win said:
'The Jerk said:
'Raider Nation said:
So... one way to look at tonight is that Jeffery has half of all wide receiver receptions and is outproducing Marshall through three quarters, right?
Havent watched the whole game but watching this second half and Jeffery has been open quite a few times, Jay just is zoning in on Marshall.

Bears passing game isnt clicking and jay is holding the ball to long and his recievers are dropping balls.
Anyone got a drop count for the game?

'in2win said:
'The Jerk said:
'Raider Nation said:
Havent watched the whole game but watching this second half and Jeffery has been open quite a few times, Jay just is zoning in on Marshall.

Bears passing game isnt clicking and jay is holding the ball to long and his recievers are dropping balls.
One by Marshall, one by K. Davis on a slip. I have a free trial on NFL Game Rewind and nothing to do, so unless Pro Football Focus has a premium subscriber around here, I can watch that debacle again. But I'm going with two or three, tops.

'in2win said:
'The Jerk said:
'Raider Nation said:
Havent watched the whole game but watching this second half and Jeffery has been open quite a few times, Jay just is zoning in on Marshall.Bears passing game isnt clicking and jay is holding the ball to long and his recievers are dropping balls.
Jeffrey was wide open all game. I said it before, Cutler plays buddy ball with Marshall and if he isn't open he just tries to do something stupid. After 15 targets in week one I knew GB would take Marshall out of the game. Did Cutler take advatage of that and throw to Jefffery :no: he'd rather have 37 yards going into halftime. If Marshall was Andre or Calvin Johnson then I get the gameplan but he isn't unstoppable. What should have been a national TV breakout game left me ready to shelf Jeffrey this year but I still believe in his talent.

'in2win said:
'The Jerk said:
'Raider Nation said:

One by Marshall, one by K. Davis on a slip. I have a free trial on NFL Game Rewind and nothing to do, so unless Pro Football Focus has a premium subscriber around here, I can watch that debacle again. But I'm going with two or three, tops.
I've got two, maybe three drops. One by Hester at the 30 in the 3rd, also. I selected the plays, scrolled them, screened them twice, and that's what I have. Tons of sacks, picks, and Marshall's drop in the end zone, Davis, and Hester. Watched it last night, scrolled it today.

Last edited by a moderator:
'in2win said:
'The Jerk said:
'Raider Nation said:

I've got two, maybe three drops. One by Hester at the 30 in the 3rd, also. I selected the plays, scrolled them, screened them twice, and that's what I have. Tons of sacks, picks, and Marshall's drop in the end zone, Davis, and Hester. Watched it last night, scrolled it today.
You're a better man than me. I didn't want to watch it once let alone more than that.

There is one play in the second quarter of the game where Jeffery might have sat down between the safety and the corner. It's a deep route where Jeffery is open if he sits down in the zone between the corner and the safety help. Instead, he keeps drifting behind everybody and the safety creeps up and almost picks the ball off.

It may be why Cutler didn't look his way again.

did anyone see Jeffery's second target? he was on a deep route and Cutler completely underthrew him, he had to stop his route and turn back to go for the ball that was defended by some safety or corner. he had 2 of them beat, just needed to be over his head and would have been a TD..

nobody mentioned THAT bad throw by cutler during the game, but it should rank up there with Marshall's dropped TD because had Cutler made the throw to the wide open deep ball, could have been a different game.

that said, Alshon is still getting looked at, and after they watch film and see how much he is open, I wouldnt be suprised to see him get a handful or more targets next week against St Louis.. early to tell but that could be him comeout game (if his first game wasnt)

Some of what I saw was the heavy GB pressure was keeping Cutler from looking at Jeffery & Marshall on any deep/post routes. Jeffery was open several times while Cutler was running around dodging GB DL. Cutler would only have time for a short dump pass and never had time to look deep. He spend too much time scrambling.

With a few seconds time, Jeffery should see more targets. Marshall will still get his but he will also see double coverage but Jeffery might be the better cheap/sleeper play.

Green Bay did a great job of shutting down the Bears offense. They took away Cutler's first read on every play(which seems like it's always Marshall) and the Bears mediocre O-Line didn't give him enough time to progress into his second and third reads. I expect other defenses to do the same thing and sort of take advantage of the Cutler-Marshall connection since it's obvious that Marshall is by far Cutler's favorite/most trusted target. I know it's just one game, but I don't expect Jeffery to be much more than a depth fantasy WR this year, but long-term I think he can become a solid WR1 and is definitely a great player to own in dynasty leagues.

'in2win said:

PFF only gives them 2 drops, one by Marshall & one by Hester.

Bennett should be back after the bye and Hester will probably get more playing time, but if I'm trying to figure out who gets a bump in their numbers I'm guessing the RB's.

He's outperformed every other rookie receiver. How is he a buy-low?
Well, I dont think he's done enough for me to think he's worth keeping on my roster for 4-6 weeks. My rosters and benches are deeper than most, Id think in most leagues he will be dropped.

(Rotoworld)A source tells the Chicago Tribune that WR Alshon Jeffery (hand) is targeting Week 10 for his return.Analysis: Jeffery won't play in Sunday's game against the Titans. He has been able to stay in shape, however, so he's only expected to need a week of practice before jumping right back into the fray opposite Brandon Marshall. Jeffery did not undergo surgery after breaking his hand on Oct. 7. Before going down, the second-round rookie was averaging 2.8 catches for 36.8 yards with two touchdowns.

Well, I dont think he's done enough for me to think he's worth keeping on my roster for 4-6 weeks. My rosters and benches are deeper than most, Id think in most leagues he will be dropped.
In my 12 Team Keeper league, I have 1 IR spot where Jeffery resides until he is removed from the NFL Injury report as Out. I dropped players like Hankerson & Bryce Brown to keep him there when another player got hurt - D Murray & Jennings. He is worth the hold.

In my 12 Team Keeper league, I have 1 IR spot where Jeffery resides until he is removed from the NFL Injury report as Out. I dropped players like Hankerson & Bryce Brown to keep him there when another player got hurt - D Murray & Jennings. He is worth the hold.
Birdie!!! Long time no see.I'm with you on Jeffery. Holding on to him fot next year and beyond!

Anyone else thinking about Alshon as a sneaky pick up this week (and for the rest of the season)??? I dont see anyone mentioning him.

Honestly looks like the best WR option on my WW which is down to the Donald Jones, Streater, and Morgan types. I think Alshon has the most upside and best chance to crack my week 15 or 16 lineup if he looks good this week.

Just lost Harvin, Broyles and Edelman to IR (and Starks) and we need to start 3 WRs in this league and Ive only got Julio, Avery, Roberts, and Mike Thomas left now

Anyone else thinking about Alshon as a sneaky pick up this week (and for the rest of the season)??? I dont see anyone mentioning him.Honestly looks like the best WR option on my WW which is down to the Donald Jones, Streater, and Morgan types. I think Alshon has the most upside and best chance to crack my week 15 or 16 lineup if he looks good this week.Just lost Harvin, Broyles and Edelman to IR (and Starks) and we need to start 3 WRs in this league and Ive only got Julio, Avery, Roberts, and Mike Thomas left now
Just not enough body of work to catch my eye heading into the fantasy play-offs. Streater would be my choice there.

Users who are viewing this thread