What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Leonard Fournette, FA (8 Viewers)

Leonard Fournette rushed 10 times for 28 yards in the Bucs' Week 17 win over the Panthers, adding four receptions for 19 additional yards.​

Fournette's 47 yards from scrimmage were his third fewest of the year as Tom Brady finally woke up through the air. Fournette appeared to save his fantasy day with a six-yard touchdown in the dying moments of the fourth quarter, but the NFL called on the James Webb Telescope to determine Fournette was actually down at the one-yard line. Brady then went over the top for a quarterback sneak. Brutal. Banged up for nearly all of 2022, specifically with what he has deemed a Lisfranc foot injury, it would be surprising if Fournette played in Week 18 against the Falcons. The Bucs clinched the NFC South this afternoon and cannot improve their seeding in the finale.
Jan 1, 2023, 4:45 PM ET

Leonard Fournette rushed five times for 11 yards in the Bucs' Wild Card Round loss to the Cowboys, adding one catch for six yards.​

After watching Fournette thrive in their system for the better part of two seasons, the Bucs finally bought the top and signed their bruising back to a three-year deal in the 2022 offseason. Instead of getting another all-purpose campaign from Fournette, the veteran back struggled on the ground and ultimately found himself in a committee with Rachaad White at the end of the year. Fournette averaged 3.5 yards per carry en route to 668 rushing yards and three scores. He did, however, maintain his production as a receiver. Fournette caught 73 passes for 523 yards and three touchdowns. Despite losing work to White on the ground, Fournette held onto the bulk of the receiving work for Tampa Bay’s backfield, bolstering his fantasy numbers in an otherwise unimpressive season. With Tom Brady’s status up in the air, Fournette is in a state of limbo heading into the offseason. Sans Brady, the Bucs could save $3.5 million by cutting Fournette as they begin a possible rebuild of the roster. If Brady is back, Fournette would at least have a strong role as the Bucs’ primary back on passing downs for as long as he can hold off White.
Jan 17, 2023, 12:44 AM ET

Not a surprise. While he's never been a complete bust, Fournette has never really been good in his career.

I'd be surprised if Fournette went anywhere where he wasn't the #2 RB.

I'd also be very surprised if TB went into next season starting Trask or White in their backfield.

seems about right. but shouldnt jax have gotten some trade compensation for him when they just cut him 3 years ago?
I recall being surprised about it but I don't think anyone wanted to inherit his pay and when he signed with Tampa it was for a lot less.

One thing I'll give him credit for was he became excellent in pass protection and a reliable outlet.

But the play now, IMO, is once he's released try and trade White.

Not a surprise. While he's never been a complete bust, Fournette has never really been good in his career.

I'd also be very surprised if TB went into next season starting Trask or White in their backfield.
How I sorta feel about him. Kind of a slightly better Melvin Gordon, who also didn't have a great career/live up to the draft slot. Leonard should have one more or 2 seasons left in the tank though, but his days of being "the man" or close to seem numbered.

How I sorta feel about him. Kind of a slightly better Melvin Gordon, who also didn't have a great career/live up to the draft slot. Leonard should have one more or 2 seasons left in the tank though, but his days of being "the man" or close to seem numbered.
Would love to see him in Cincy in the Perine role.

Would love to see him in Cincy in the Perine role.
Hope not haha, stashed Chris Evans in a few leagues hoping he gets it!

Out with the old
And based on the lack of positive phrasing my guess is Mixon, Dalvin and Elliot will all be cut or asked to take pay cuts(and Dalvin and Mixon won't do it) and they will all be 27-28 next season. Been preaching for a few years now that for most RB's you want to get out before that age 27 season.

Kamara and Aaron Jones might be the last of the vaunted 2017 RB class to be with their teams and Jones had to accept a pay cut and I'm only saying maybe Kamara will be with the Saints.

Out with the old
And based on the lack of positive phrasing my guess is Mixon, Dalvin and Elliot will all be cut or asked to take pay cuts(and Dalvin and Mixon won't do it) and they will all be 27-28 next season. Been preaching for a few years now that for most RB's you want to get out before that age 27 season.

Kamara and Aaron Jones might be the last of the vaunted 2017 RB class to be with their teams and Jones had to accept a pay cut and I'm only saying maybe Kamara will be with the Saints.
Reality check for all these guys coming very soon, if it hasn't already. Imagine going into FA at age 27/28 at a position of continuing declining importance while also fending off one of the deepest classes at said position ever and possibly competing with 2 younger FA who are highly thought of in Jacobs and Saquan. Disaster.

Feb 7th, 2021-Super Bowl vs KC

135 total yds, 4 catches and a Touchdown

Playoffs for the Jan/Feb run in '21...448 yards, 4 Touchdowns, 18 catches and many terrific blitz pick ups.

Thanks Leonard for being there when the Bucs and Tom needed you the most.

312 catches even though he has hands of stone
6,700 yards rushing and receiving. 41 Touchdowns
1,101 yds 1,266 yds, 1,342 yds, 1,674 yds, 4 of his 6 season totals in yards. The other 2 seasons he only started 8 and 3 games for whatever the reasons.
Mitchell Trubisky and Solomon Thomas were taken at 2 and 3 before Jax took him 4th overall. Corey Davis, John Ross and Mike Williams would all follow him later in the Top 10.

We're awful quick to throw this guy away like he has zero value and has been a wandering nobody since he arrived, the numbers would tell a slightly different tune.
I'm just discussing his potential value to a real NFL team now that he has 6 years under his belt, a major role in winning the Super Bowl and about 2.5 years working with Tom Brady.
I think many will be surprised who might call him to come start for them or have a potential large role in the offense.

I think many will be surprised who might call him to come start for them or have a potential large role in the offense.
I’m not sure anyone will be grabbing him as a starter with all the FA/rookie talent out there, but I can see him working his way into an RBBC and aggravating fantasy owners of the incumbent.

Similarly, I think White will be getting some healthy competition from someone else.

Had major attitude or motivational issues or something else behind the scenes. It got him bounced from Jacksonville and almost got him cut over Rojo of all terrible running backs in Tampa. Seemed to be a wake up call and since then he seemed to have his head on straight and played well.

Now he faces the reality of the position, aging RB’s aren’t worth big money, especially to cash strapped teams. I’d bet he lands somewhere and muddies up things, Denver seems like a good fit since I can’t imagine Fournette is going to be getting high $ offers from anyone.

I wonder if this guy will be on Howie and the Eagle's radar. Seems like a perfect combo of timing to get a guy like this on a playoff team for cheap.

1,101 yds 1,266 yds, 1,342 yds, 1,674 yds, 4 of his 6 season totals in yards. The other 2 seasons he only started 8 and 3 games for whatever the reasons.
Mitchell Trubisky and Solomon Thomas were taken at 2 and 3 before Jax took him 4th overall. Corey Davis, John Ross and Mike Williams would all follow him later in the Top 10.

We're awful quick to throw this guy away like he has zero value and has been a wandering nobody since he arrived, the numbers would tell a slightly different tune.
I'm just discussing his potential value to a real NFL team now that he has 6 years under his belt, a major role in winning the Super Bowl and about 2.5 years working with Tom Brady.
I understand what you are saying, but Fournette has been incredibly inefficient throughout his career. Those yardage totals are pretty poor for someone seeing his volume. There is a very good reason he struggled to separate from Ronald Jones, or Rachaad White. He had a great playoff run in 2020, but that's really the only time he's been an above average RB in his career.

I think Fournette is good enough as a blocker and receiver to get a #2 job. But I'd be shocked if he got a clear starting job.

For the record, I think Corey Davis, and especially Mike Williams were better draft picks.

I wonder if this guy will be on Howie and the Eagle's radar. Seems like a perfect combo of timing to get a guy like this on a playoff team for cheap.
Would think they'd be better off just keeping Miles Sanders, who I wouldn't expect to be particularly expensive either for the same supply/demand reasons.

The Jags cut him because they liked Robinson more and they felt he'd not take well to being the backup. Lenny disputes this version of the story, mainly the part that he was cut because they preferred Robinson.

Tampa cut him which everyone could see coming and Lenny has tried to get ahead of it saying it was a mutual decision.

My take. Don't believe what Lenny is saying.

He can still be a useful part of a RBBC for sure and more to our point here he can soak up the fantasy money touches even in a split role because he's both a good goal line runner and good in pass protection. Not saying he will get those touches, but he at least has the ability.

I think the main issue with him, other then losing explosion, is in the past he's not taken well to being a backup, even when he was paid well. That's again why the Jags said they cut him and as Buckna pointed out in his post a few up almost got him cut from Tampa. You think or hope his new reality has set in for him and he understands his role but the mere fact he had to try and quickly put out it was a "mutual decision" to cut him kind of tells me otherwise, that his ego remains a big force. So now we will likely get a low paid Lenny who is part of a RBBC and I'd worry about the potential for issues later and his commitment level if things don't go his way.

I understand what you are saying, but Fournette has been incredibly inefficient throughout his career. Those yardage totals are pretty poor for someone seeing his volume. There is a very good reason he struggled to separate from Ronald Jones, or Rachaad White. He had a great playoff run in 2020, but that's really the only time he's been an above average RB in his career.

I think Fournette is good enough as a blocker and receiver to get a #2 job. But I'd be shocked if he got a clear starting job.

For the record, I think Corey Davis, and especially Mike Williams were better draft picks.

Would think they'd be better off just keeping Miles Sanders, who I wouldn't expect to be particularly expensive either for the same supply/demand reasons.
Miles isn't coming back unless he sits on the market for a long time and due to the logjam, comes back on a very cheap deal. Thinking Lenny is probably a bit further behind in line to get deals as he's a little older and coming off not as a productive year. Thinking more of the 2 year/$6m type deal or similar. Miles will probably still command $8M+ per year and its been made pretty clear that he most likely will not be back, reading various tea leaves. Still think the play is to draft a RB though.

Miles isn't coming back unless he sits on the market for a long time and due to the logjam, comes back on a very cheap deal. Thinking Lenny is probably a bit further behind in line to get deals as he's a little older and coming off not as a productive year. Thinking more of the 2 year/$6m type deal or similar. Miles will probably still command $8M+ per year and its been made pretty clear that he most likely will not be back, reading various tea leaves. Still think the play is to draft a RB though.
Sanders will likely be waiting quite a while if he wants $8M a year.

I actually think the guy teams should really be after at RB, who probably will be cheap, is Damien Harris.

ETA: Looking at all the FA RB's, I'm not sure there aren't close to 10 guys I like as much or more than Fournette, though 3 of those guys (Pollard, Jacobs, Barkley) are likely staying put. But still which of these guys are less appealing than Fournette:

Miles Sanders, David Montgomery, Damien Harris, Alexander Mattison, Devin Singletary, Kareem Hunt, Jamaal Williams, Raheem Mostert, Rashaad Penny, D'Onta Foreman, Samaje Perine? All of those guys are either younger or have higher upside in my opinion, and in many cases both. Most will be cheaper too.

Last edited:
Man that sure isn't the update I was wanting to see with having him stashed on my bench atm lol I just want him to land somewhere, dude still has some in the tank

Lenny working out for the Patriots today...
If I'm not mistake the two previous times Lenny was free to sign one of the teams that showed interested was the Patriots. I know they have him in for a visit at least one of those times. Seems like BB has a thing for him.

I can definitely see this match...Pats need another RB and Lenny needs a team...gives them solid insurance behind Stevenson and my guess is it will be a lot cheaper than Cook.

Free agent RB Leonard Fournette worked out for the Patriots.
Fournette was released by the Bucs earlier in the offseason. The move saved Tampa Bay $3.5 million. Now looking for a new home, New England makes sense as a landing spot for Lenny. The Patriots have been looking for a veteran to complement Rhamondre Stevenson, first trying to do so with James Robinson who they ultimately cut. They have reportedly been interested in Dalvin Cook but would likely have to pay Fournette less. Fournette is a capable pass-catcher and can handle goal line work as well. Both outcomes would be disastrous for Stevenson, who is currently the riskiest RB1 in Best Ball drafts.

Fournette was released by the Bucs earlier in the offseason. The move saved Tampa Bay $3.5 million. Now looking for a new home, New England makes sense as a landing spot for Lenny. The Patriots have been looking for a veteran to complement Rhamondre Stevenson, first trying to do so with James Robinson who they ultimately cut. They have reportedly been interested in Dalvin Cook but would likely have to pay Fournette less. Fournette is a capable pass-catcher and can handle goal line work as well. Both outcomes would be disastrous for Stevenson, who is currently the riskiest RB1 in Best Ball drafts.
"Disastrous" is a bit much by the blurb writer, but it might be a bit of a dent in Stevenson's value.

"Disastrous" is a bit much by the blurb writer, but it might be a bit of a dent in Stevenson's value.

Agreed...I'd actually be more concerned if they drafted a young RB like Bigsby...the Pats were always a threat to bring in another RB and Fournette makes a ton of sense...if Stevenson plays like he did last year he will get more than his fair share.

Disastrous is way off. Cook signing would be a disaster. Fournette isn't even close.

Disastrous is way off. Cook signing would be a disaster. Fournette isn't even close.
I don’t even think Cook would be a “disaster”. It would obviously hurt his fantasy outlook but he’s younger and at this point better than Cook, so should still be the leader of the committee.

Crickets.....
Miami?
I think he could have some real value there. Anywhere else....meh.
No news, good news? Or waiting for an injury?
Mattison fans would hate it. But as a real football fan, I’d take him as a depth piece as a Vikings fan.

I’m just not 100% comfortable with that running back room as it is.

I also say this as not watching much of Fournette last year because I didn’t own him.

Crickets.....
Miami?
I think he could have some real value there. Anywhere else....meh.
No news, good news? Or waiting for an injury?
Mattison fans would hate it. But as a real football fan, I’d take him as a depth piece as a Vikings fan.

I’m just not 100% comfortable with that running back room as it is.

I also say this as not watching much of Fournette last year because I didn’t own him.
Yes, he would deflate Mattison's value for sure.
As long as he hasn't "left himself go", he could be very valuable whereever he lands.
He's very good at the goal line and it one of the better check down guys in the league.
Granted, I think his days of breaking 80 yard runs may be over but that was never his forte anyways.
He's also very good in pass protection which means alot to veteran QBs.
I'm just waiting for the other shoes to drop with Fournette and Hunt. Cook and Zeke have already landed.

Users who are viewing this thread