What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Alfred Blue - RB Houston merged thread (1 Viewer)

Mallett might be out for the season now, turns out he had a bad pec injury all game. I think Blue with Fitz back in, scary to say, will be better than today.
imo, Blue's opponent and Foster's status are more important factors than the QB.

Blue should do significantly better against the Titans. The Titans D has given nearly every opponent their best rushing game of the year. Ben Tate, Hill/Bernard (not yards, but 3 RuTDs), Foster, L.Bell, McCoy. Even Storm Effin Johnson scored a TD on them. Injuries to DE/OLB Kam Wimbley (hamstring) and FS Michael Griffin could make things even worse.

This rushing defense is so bad it broke CBS's algorithm...they have Titans DST ranked 33rd against running back FP. No joke.

Houston QB Ryan Pick6trick is a clear liability, which Houston could try to offset by throwing less and using high-percentage throws that are unlikely to be picked off...possibly RB targets.

Blue is sufficient against the Titans. The Texans might not feel pressured to rush Arian Foster back this week if he's not yet 100%. I don't see Foster going from GTD to 100% in one week. I am worried, however, that they may activate a partially healed Foster for limited or emergency usage like we saw in week 5 (Foster's first game back from the hamstring injury). That would screw Foster/Blue owners pretty hard.

It's Monday and we don't have much news yet, but my take for now is this:
If Foster is out Blue should be a solid play. Maybe SameSongNDance could provide a floor for Blue in that scenario (PLEASE???), but I'd guess mid-RB2.
If Foster plays, either one could be great or garbage fantasywise. Either could make or break someone's FF playoff hopes.

Mallett might be out for the season now, turns out he had a bad pec injury all game. I think Blue with Fitz back in, scary to say, will be better than today.
imo, Blue's opponent and Foster's status are more important factors than the QB.

Blue should do significantly better against the Titans. The Titans D has given nearly every opponent their best rushing game of the year. Ben Tate, Hill/Bernard (not yards, but 3 RuTDs), Foster, L.Bell, McCoy. Even Storm Effin Johnson scored a TD on them. Injuries to DE/OLB Kam Wimbley (hamstring) and FS Michael Griffin could make things even worse.

This rushing defense is so bad it broke CBS's algorithm...they have Titans DST ranked 33rd against running back FP. No joke.

Houston QB Ryan Pick6trick is a clear liability, which Houston could try to offset by throwing less and using high-percentage throws that are unlikely to be picked off...possibly RB targets.

Blue is sufficient against the Titans. The Texans might not feel pressured to rush Arian Foster back this week if he's not yet 100%. I don't see Foster going from GTD to 100% in one week. I am worried, however, that they may activate a partially healed Foster for limited or emergency usage like we saw in week 5 (Foster's first game back from the hamstring injury). That would screw Foster/Blue owners pretty hard.

If Foster is out Blue should be a solid play. Maybe SameSongNDance could provide a floor for Blue in that scenario (PLEASE???), but I'd guess mid-RB2.

If Foster plays, either one could be great or garbage fantasywise. Either could make or break someone's FF playoff hopes.
This and I think Fitz can at least convert some 3rd downs unlike Mallett yesterday. Although Cincy has been alot stingier lately and that was a big factor. Looking for a big game from Blue if Foster is out week 13.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarcasm? :lol: I'm not an expert. I just noticed that was CIN closing down running lanes vs. Ingram but CIN has been a roller coaster of a team this year. Blue is the type of back who will gets what's blocked for him and if he can get a head of steam he can do some damage. If Foster sits, yes I would 100% on board with Blue and would be targeting him in daily leagues. TENs interior is not existent and that's where Blue does most of his damage. Looks at these lines..

Murray - 167/1

Tate - 123/1

Foster - 151/2

Forsett - 112/2

Bell - 204/1

McCoy - 130/1

As far as Blue's general quality, through two games I still see what I saw before. He's good enough to be an NFL backup and fair ok when he comes in. Or he's good enough to be a starter behind a great O-line.

But I don't see much about him that's special. Each game there are a number of plays that I believe Foster in the same play would have broken a couple for quite a few more yards... especially against Cleveland. Blue seems capable of getting what the O-line gives him. There's been few plays where I felt he was the deciding factor in some yards being made where an average NFL RB might not have got them.

Sarcasm? :lol: I'm not an expert. I just noticed that was CIN closing down running lanes vs. Ingram but CIN has been a roller coaster of a team this year. Blue is the type of back who will gets what's blocked for him and if he can get a head of steam he can do some damage. If Foster sits, yes I would 100% on board with Blue and would be targeting him in daily leagues. TENs interior is not existent and that's where Blue does most of his damage. Looks at these lines..

Murray - 167/1

Tate - 123/1

Foster - 151/2

Forsett - 112/2

Bell - 204/1

McCoy - 130/1
LOL. No sarcasm. You've given some very helpful estimates in that area.

ETA: Don't forget CIN had three rushing TDs and "quiet" Storm Johnson scored one as well. I think the FP will be there with or without the yards.

VandyMan said:
SameSongNDance said:
VandyMan said:

Murray - 167/1

Tate - 123/1

Foster - 151/2

Forsett - 112/2

Bell - 204/1

McCoy - 130/1
LOL. No sarcasm. You've given some very helpful estimates in that area.

ETA: Don't forget CIN had three rushing TDs and "quiet" Storm Johnson scored one as well. I think the FP will be there with or without the yards.
Yeah, they will. Since week 8 (they had a week 9 bye) no starting RB has scored less than 20 points against them in PPR. In fact, RBs have averaged near 30PPG (28.2) in that time span. As long as the games are close, there's likely no better match-up for RBs right now.

Yeah he would have salvaged the day on that last garbage time drive had he got those 3 Grimes recs in the hurry up.

Rotoworld:

Alfred Blue could see playing time on third downs this season.

Blue has been working with Arian Foster on improving his third down skills, but pass-block and receiving limitations make him unlikely to get significant snaps. Blue is locked in as Foster’s handcuff.

Source: ESPN.com
Jul 11 - 6:36 PM

Rotoworld:

Alfred Blue - RB - Texans
Coach Bill O'Brien said the Texans will "rely" on a committee approach at running back based on "roles" while Arian Foster (groin) is out.
The Texans are fully expected to sign Pierre Thomas, adding him to a group that also includes Alfred Blue, Jonathan Grimes, Chris Polk and Kenny Hilliard. Houston may not stop there, as O'Brien said the Texans will continue to explore the running back market and wouldn't rule out a trade. He's looking for a running back who "can do a little bit of everything." In the meantime, Blue would appear to be the front-runner for run-game work with incoming Thomas assuming a similar role he held in New Orleans as a third-down back and pass protector. None of these backs should command more than a dozen touches per game.

Related: Pierre Thomas, Chris Polk, Jonathan Grimes, Kenny Hilliard

Source: Brian Smith on Twitter
Aug 5 - 12:14 PM

So are people just avoiding him altogether?
Depends where you can get him. Double digit rounds, I am buying all day. At that point, you likely have four WRs, three RBs, a QB, a TE, and a WR/RB...so he is likely your RB4. Not many RB4s have to contend with just Chris Polk. I realize the value is skewed because of Foster returning, but lets be honest, Foster just does not hold up well at this stage. He has 1700 professional touches. Plus, Foster only missed three games last year, and Blue ended the season with over 500 yards rushing. That is what you get for a RB4, plus he will have the opportunity to play more this year.

Depends where you can get him. Double digit rounds, I am buying all day. At that point, you likely have four WRs, three RBs, a QB, a TE, and a WR/RB...so he is likely your RB4. Not many RB4s have to contend with just Chris Polk. I realize the value is skewed because of Foster returning, but lets be honest, Foster just does not hold up well at this stage. He has 1700 professional touches. Plus, Foster only missed three games last year, and Blue ended the season with over 500 yards rushing. That is what you get for a RB4, plus he will have the opportunity to play more this year.
Yards are yards, but bear in mind, he put up 150 against guys off the street on the giants. In a small sample size, you can't ignore that kind of padding, if memory serves that was a game Foster went out of early, and isnt in the 3 games missed.

well...my thinking is that the HOU Rbs are a cheap way to lock up a backfield.

You can have Foster/Blue as your 3rd/4th RBs.

So when Foster is in he can all of a sudden be your new #1 guy...and when Blue is in he's your Flex (if you need it).

Is Blue locked into that backup roll though is the question.

well...my thinking is that the HOU Rbs are a cheap way to lock up a backfield.

So when Foster is in he can all of a sudden be your new #1 guy...and when Blue is in he's your Flex (if you need it).

Is Blue locked into that backup roll though is the question.
"Locked" is probably a stretch, but no one is emerging outside of Blue, let alone challenging him. I don't think the guy will be a world-beater, but again, as a RB4, I like him.

This may be difficult if their ADPs are close and you aren't drafting near a turn. ESPN, CBS, and FantasyFootballCalculator have their non-ppr ADPs pretty close to each other. YMMV.

There's still a chance the Texans could bring in a vet if Blue/Grimes/Polk don't impress them. They tried to sign Pierre Thomas three weeks ago and he's still available.

Thoughts on Al Blue going forward ? He picked up4.5 yards per carry last Sunday,

although they didn't use him much as they were throwing a lot from behind. I just don't see Foster staying healthy for the short or medium term.

I flat out dropped him for Mariota after week 1. I have foster and I still dropped him. He's garbage. And mired in a 3-way committee BC the coaches see nothing in him that inspires them to make him the bell cow in fosters absence. There was no way I would let his unexciting 4-10 Pts per week fill my rb2 or flex spot in fosters absence so why keep him on the roster. Bid rather have guys with big upside on my bench.

No one in my league even picked him up after I dropped him. He's been on the wire for 4 days.

Lost Foster in two leagues. Been mulling this over, but from what I have seen Blue+Polk=Foster.

Anyone else think the same thing, or is Blue worth a shot.

I would avoid that RB situation in Houston unless very desperate. Blue would be my first choice over Polk if that needy at RB. Houston is not a good team.

I would avoid that RB situation in Houston unless very desperate. Blue would be my first choice over Polk if that needy at RB. Houston is not a good team.
Is their defense fixable? If so they would be in position to call more running plays. Unfortunately, their running game has been crap (even with Foster). I think Polk is the better fantasy play ROS, but probably only usable in ppr. They'd have to fix two separate things - defense and running game, although they are somewhat linked - for Blue to yield good fantasy production. Maybe in certain matchups, like against TB, if they come into the game with a run-heave gameplan...but they probably won't tell you that in advance so you'd just be looking at Blue putting up points on your bench.

tldr: Avoid.

If you are going to grab one of these guys, I think Polk is the play. He's a better Rb, and he's been more involved as of late behind foster. He also gets some play in the passing game.

I had Blue teed up as a potential pickup this week but have decided otherwise as Houston is a mess. Targeting McFadden instead

I tend to think a lot of FAAB money is going to be wasted on this kid. The is a team that stinks, and unlike Miami when they do fire Obrien, they aren't bouncing back.

Rotoworld:

Alfred Blue - RB - Texans

ESPN Texans reporter Tania Ganguli said Alfred Blue's touches will depend on how well he starts games.

"Blue, Jonathan Grimes and Chris Polk will all get carries," Ganguli wrote. "If Blue starts well, as he did against Tampa, he'll get a heavier load." Blue had just 14 carries total the first two weeks, but he exploded for 139 yards on 31 carries Week 3. Predicting Blue's workload week to week will be a headache, and the Texans have not run the ball effectively this season anyway. He is an RB3 at best.

Source: ESPN

Oct 31 - 10:12 AM

Starting him over Devonta Freeman, Alex Collins, and Marvin Jones as my flex.  Hoping for 20+ touches and praying for a score.

Is it certain that Miller is out? My other options for the SNF/MNF games are pretty ugly (Deonte Thompson...), so it‘s hard to gamble on Blue.. 

Is it certain that Miller is out? My other options for the SNF/MNF games are pretty ugly (Deonte Thompson...), so it‘s hard to gamble on Blue.. 
Not certain - with the game on SNF, we won’t know until after the 4pm games start, so it’s a tough call.

Users who are viewing this thread