What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Knile Davis RB - Arkansas (1 Viewer)

He'd have been one of the top RBs if not for the injury. Will be interesting to see where he lands.

great tools, doesnt play close to them. tries to elude like a small back instead of running behind pads and using size/strength as asset. goes down on first contact way too often. not elusive enough for speed to come into play too often. a little better version of jackie battle.

great tools, doesnt play close to them. tries to elude like a small back instead of running behind pads and using size/strength as asset. goes down on first contact way too often. not elusive enough for speed to come into play too often. a little better version of jackie battle.
2 questions, as I'm glad you popped in here.1) What round (if any) do you think he's drafted in?2) In what round (if any) would you be happy to see the Steelers take him as a developmental prospect?

2 questions, as I'm glad you popped in here.1) What round (if any) do you think he's drafted in?2) In what round (if any) would you be happy to see the Steelers take him as a developmental prospect?
6-7/UDFA.If I were a Steeler fan, I would hope that we didn't use/waste a pick on him and consider him if he goes undrafted.

someone will likely go 3rd/4th with him. Chris Henry was in the 2nd with similar #s and even worse film. I don't see the Steelers considering him until the very late part of the draft.

someone will likely go 3rd/4th with him. Chris Henry was in the 2nd with similar #s and even worse film. I don't see the Steelers considering him until the very late part of the draft.
If the Steelers want to find a feature back in this draft, but don't want to spend a first round pick doing so, who do you think they'd be wise to check out in the 2nd/3rd rounds? The common wisdom seems to think they'll go after Montee Ball or maybe Bell from MSU, but I think I'd prefer Randle out of OSU.

6-7/UDFA.If I were a Steeler fan, I would hope that we didn't use/waste a pick on him and consider him if he goes undrafted.
He's going to go alot higher than 6/7 round. Id be surprised if he makes it through the 4th

He's going to go alot higher than 6/7 round. Id be surprised if he makes it through the 4th
He was projected to be a 7th/UDFA prior to the combine. The fast 40 time is great. But with two-months prior to the draft, teams will remember why they had him low in the first place -- a spectacular injury history, a very terrible 2012, and 2011 tape that merely warrants a mid-round selection.With the amount of teams that took Lamar Miller off of their draft board for his shoulder injuries, there are going to be a long list of teams that have Knile on their "do-not-draft" list.

After his sophmore season he was getting a few mentions in Heisman talk and Lattimore was considered behind Davis in talent. Last year the whole team was a mess from top to bottom (damnit Bobby) and he was coming back from a season ending injury so I am not so sure I would read that much into last year.His injuries are a concern, but if he can stay healthy (big if I know) some team is going to get a steal in the draft. I would love for the Steelers to get him late.

'Bogeys said:
After his sophmore season he was getting a few mentions in Heisman talk and Lattimore was considered behind Davis in talent. Last year the whole team was a mess from top to bottom (damnit Bobby) and he was coming back from a season ending injury so I am not so sure I would read that much into last year.His injuries are a concern, but if he can stay healthy (big if I know) some team is going to get a steal in the draft. I would love for the Steelers to get him late.
I don't recall a single reputable source claiming that Davis was ahead of Lattimore in terms of projected NFL talent. People certainly thought he was intriguing with his size/speed, but he needed to make improvements (pad level, pass pro, break a tackle just once in a blue moon perhaps). Instead, he got hurt...again. Then came back and was outplayed by a guy that didn't even get a combine invite.

'Bogeys said:
I don't recall a single reputable source claiming that Davis was ahead of Lattimore in terms of projected NFL talent. People certainly thought he was intriguing with his size/speed, but he needed to make improvements (pad level, pass pro, break a tackle just once in a blue moon perhaps). Instead, he got hurt...again. Then came back and was outplayed by a guy that didn't even get a combine invite.
:thumbup: precisely. it's amazing what a fast 40 can do for a guy's reputation as a fragile, straightline guy. it's like he's born again... in 2010 form, which was rather unimpressive to begin with!

Last edited by a moderator:
'Bogeys said:
:thumbup: precisely. it's amazing what a fast 40 can do for a guy's reputation as a fragile, straightline guy. it's like he's born again... in 2010 form, which was rather unimpressive to begin with!
He was mentioned quite often in the same sentence with Lattimore back then. That's not unimpressive...

'Bogeys said:
He was mentioned quite often in the same sentence with Lattimore back then. That's not unimpressive...
In terms of production and because they were in the same conference/year. He was not being discussed on the same level in terms of NFL potential.

'Bogeys said:
imo, he doesn't now and didn't then deserve the praise. reason? everything that's already been said.

'Bogeys said:
In terms of production and because they were in the same conference/year. He was not being discussed on the same level in terms of NFL potential.
I remember them being mentioned a lot together. I can't remember the exact context from that long ago. Kudo's to you on a better memory than I have...

I remember them being mentioned a lot together. I can't remember the exact context from that long ago. Kudo's to you on a better memory than I have...
i remember lattimore being mentioned first, then davis being mentioned second and with much less enthusiasm... haha. some call my memory selective though.

i remember lattimore being mentioned first, then davis being mentioned second and with much less enthusiasm... haha. some call my memory selective though.
He was certainly someone that was mentioned as a guy that could have potential. But the expectation is that they build upon what they have and make improvements from a guy is just pure speed. Having 230lb is great, but the expectation is that 1) it will help you carry the load/be durable; and 2) will allow you to break tackles. Unfortunately, those are his two biggest weaknesses, despite his size, and it turns that "should be positive" into a huge question mark.The combination of losing that 1.5 years to injury (again, and again), and being flat out terrible in 2012, will likely hurt his stock more than the "but look how big and fast he is in shorts" crowd believes.

'Bogeys said:
After his sophmore season he was getting a few mentions in Heisman talk and Lattimore was considered behind Davis in talent. Last year the whole team was a mess from top to bottom (damnit Bobby) and he was coming back from a season ending injury so I am not so sure I would read that much into last year.

His injuries are a concern, but if he can stay healthy (big if I know) some team is going to get a steal in the draft. I would love for the Steelers to get him late.
Oh, how short our memories are:Top 25 Prospects for 2012

Looking ahead, only Trent Richardson (5'11", 224 pounds) and Knile Davis (6'0", 228 pounds) seem destined for the 2012 draft's first round. Rookie revelations can come from anywhere, but these top-flight talents are the best bets.
Top SEC prospects (listed as #2 RB behind Richardson)
7. *Knile Davis, RB, Arkansas 6-0/228/4.43 Once Davis worked his way into the starting lineup (Week 6), he tore up the SEC. He led the conference in total yards with 1,322 yards and scored 13 times (12 in the season's last seven weeks) on the season using a nice blend of size and speed few backs in the class can match. Though Davis tends to run with his pads a bit high and won't have as much success running east-west in the NFL as he does in college, he should only get better as a junior. With another year of similar production, teams will consider drafting him around the same spot where former Arkansas back Felix Jones landed in 2008 (No. 22 overall, Cowboys).
Top 2012 RB Prospects (listed #2 behind only Richardson)
Knile Davis, RB, Arkansas

Height: 6'0 Weight: 220

Knile Davis didn't take over the starting job at Arkansas until game five of the 2010 season. He still amassed 1,322 yards and 13 TD's. Davis is another physical specimen with better top end speed than Richardson. He is drawing comparisons to former Razorback, Darren McFadden. While he won't be drafted as high as McFadden he may bring similar abilities. If Davis can stay healthy this season (historic issue) he could find his way into the first round

2012 NFL Draft Projection: 1-2
Top Pre-Season RBs (Listed as the #1 overall RB over Richardson)
1. Knile Davis, Jr, Arkansas, 6'0 220

- He may have the best size/speed combination since Adrian Peterson left Oklahoma. Shows good strength between the tackles and the ability to go the distance from anywhere on the field.

2. Trent Richardson, Jr, Alabama, 5'11 220

- Tough inside runner who proves hard to bring down. Richardson shows good patience, vision, and playing speed. He may be a better overall athlete than former teammate Mark Ingram.
2012 Mock Draft
Bleacher Report's Matt Miller believes that Knile Davis will be a first round pick in 2012 and that the Giants will be the team to select him. This is what Miller had to say about the Giants selecting Davis,

"The Giants need to use the first-round pick in 2012 on finding a three-down running back who can carry the load and take pressure off quarterback Eli Manning.

Knile Davis is our No. 1 running back in the country. His physical blend of running is a great mix to his quickness and shifty open-field moves."
Scout.com top draft picks (#9 OVERALL)

9. RB Knile Davis, Arkansas (Jr.)

If this was 15 years ago, he’d be in the hunt for the No. 1 overall pick. Hands are a bit of a problem and he’ll put the ball on the ground, but he could start for several NFL teams right now with his pass catching ability and his downhill thumping style.
So, can we please stop with this nonsense that he wasn't highly rated before. Not only was Lattimore not in the discussion back then, but a couple spots even had Knile Davis over Richardson. I'm not saying they should have, but this guy was a consensus top 2 RB in the country if he declared for the NFL draft even after his injury before the 2011 season.

'Bogeys said:
It was more talking about the potential of Kniles at the time since he didn't start the entire year but still put up great numbers. And yes, at the time Arkansas was doing a lot better in the polls and was regarded as a better team (actually beat SC badly that year if I remember correctly) so the stud back on that team was considered better. I don't remember any reputable source at the time saying Lattimore was better or had more potential...but I am sure since Jon is throwing that arugument out there he will have a link?ETA: What gianmarco said.

'Bogeys said:
After his sophmore season he was getting a few mentions in Heisman talk and Lattimore was considered behind Davis in talent. Last year the whole team was a mess from top to bottom (damnit Bobby) and he was coming back from a season ending injury so I am not so sure I would read that much into last year.

His injuries are a concern, but if he can stay healthy (big if I know) some team is going to get a steal in the draft. I would love for the Steelers to get him late.
Oh, how short our memories are:<cut out links to save room>

So, can we please stop with this nonsense that he wasn't highly rated before. Not only was Lattimore not in the discussion back then, but a couple spots even had Knile Davis over Richardson. I'm not saying they should have, but this guy was a consensus top 2 RB in the country if he declared for the NFL draft even after his injury before the 2011 season.
Highlighted for emphasis. We can agree to disagree if you like.And edit: The reason Lattimore wasn't "in the discussion back then" was that these 'rankings' took place after he tore his ACL.

'Bogeys said:

Highlighted for emphasis. We can agree to disagree if you like.
I listed spots like Bleacher Report CBSsports and Scout.com. Which places do you consider reputable if none of these are? I did a search and pretty much EVERY site I looked at had the same things. I stopped linking after a while since it was the same thing over and over. Just because YOU don't "recall a single reputable source" doesn't mean it didn't take place. So, go find those reputable sources and show me where they had Lattimore higher. Until then, I'll just go by link after link after link talking about Davis being a top prospect and 1st round pick.P.S.--It's ok to admit you were wrong. I'm not saying the guy's prospects are the same today as they were 2 years ago. But let's stop acting like he came out of nowhere and is only being considered because of his combine performance. He was very highly rated and I've just shown lots of links confirming that.

'Bogeys said:

Highlighted for emphasis. We can agree to disagree if you like.
CBSsports.com, BleacherReport, CFN.com, NFLSFuture.com are not reputable? Gian put together that list pretty quickly. I'm sure if you dig a little deeper there will be more to your liking.

From September 4 2011. Chat with Mel Kiper:
Melnatic (U-Town)Who is are the 3 best Running Backs in NCAA regardless of class.Mel Kiper (1:07 PM)Marcus Lattimore is No. 1. He doesn't fumble the football. Just a great player. Very reliable. Hardest worker on the team. Very good hands. Strong, powerful legs. Mature kid. Blocks well. He's a definite Heisman Trophy candidate. No. 2, Trent Richardson. Knile Davis from Arkansas would have been right up there, but he's out for the year. He'll be a fourth year junior next year. LaMichael James from Oregon is probably No. 3.

From SI.com ...

After a lackluster 2011 NFL Draft in both television ratings and quality, the hype will return next season thanks to a class loaded with talent at the offensive skill positions.

Hopefully the lockout will be a distant memory by the time Roger Goodell steps to the podium next April. The 2012 draft could be shaped by a rookie salary cap after the dust settles from the labor battle.

Here is a look at my (Way early) 2011 NFL Mock Draft from April of last year. No. 1 and No. 2 overall picks Ryan Mallett and Da'Quan Bowers looked relatively good throughout most of last college football season. Though this year's top guy seems a lot safer ...

1. Buffalo Bills: Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford

The Bills did well drafting Marcell Dareus, but still have too many holes on defense to improve next season. You won't find a single 2012 mock draft that doesn't list Luck No. 1. Other than injury, the only possibility he'll fall is if the bar is set too high and experts pick him apart.

2. Carolina Panthers: Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State

Blackmon might have been the highest receiver taken in the 2011 draft, even ahead of A.J. Green, who went No. 4 overall. The Panthers will be eager to get help for Cam Newton.

3. Cleveland Browns: Landry Jones, QB, Oklahoma

The 6-foot-4 Jones has NFL size and arm strength and has proved a lot in college already. He threw 38 touchdowns and 12 interceptions last season and should put up Sam Bradford-like numbers this season.

4. Tennessee Titans: Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina

The 6-6, 270-pound Coples had 10 sacks for North Carolina last season and will be the premiere pass rusher in this draft.

5. Seattle Seahawks: Matt Barkley, QB, USC

The Seahawks will make up for not taking a quarterback this season by reuniting Barkley with his former coach Pete Carroll.

6. Denver Broncos: Matt Kalil, OT, USC

The little brother of the Panthers' Ryan Kalil should be the first tackle taken and could go even higher depending on team needs. He's a solid technician and tough.

7. Cincinnati Bengals: Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa

At a school known for producing good offensive linemen, Reiff might be the best of the last decade. He's got a nasty attitude and will be NFL-ready.

8. Oakland Raiders: Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama

Kirkpatrick meets the Raiders' speed requirement and will team with Stanford Routt to give Oakland an impressive defensive backfield.

9. Minnesota Vikings: Jonathan Martin, T, Stanford

Vikings left tackle Bryant McKinnie will be 32 at the end of the season, so Minnesota will look to the future to help protect quarterback Christian Ponder.

10. Washington Redskins: Jared Crick, DT, Nebraska

Crick had 17 tackles for a loss and 9.5 sacks last season despite constant double-teams. His best fit in the NFL will be 3-4 end, but he could also slide over to tackle in a 4-3.

11. Dallas Cowboys: Cliff Harris, CB, Oregon

Harris is a bit undersized, but will fill a need here and can possibly be an explosive returner. He's similar to a young Terence Newman.

12. Detroit Lions: Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina

The Lions need to bolster their secondary and will take the highest rated cornerback at this spot. Gilmore still has something to prove, but could develop into a shutdown guy.

13. Miami Dolphins: Jerel Worthy, DT, Michigan State

Worthy didn't have big numbers last season (four sacks), but he takes up a lot of attention from opposing offensive lines and should develop into a productive 3-4 end.

14. Kansas City Chiefs: Nate Potter, OT, Boise State

The Chiefs need depth up front and Potter could possibly play multiple spots on the line.

15. Jacksonville Jaguars: Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama

The Jaguars will be eager to add another major weapon to help Blaine Gabbert.

16. Houston Texans: Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU

Claiborne had five interceptions last season and should fill nicely into Patrick Peterson's role. Houston surprised some folks by not going cornerback in this year's draft; it needs a lot of help in the secondary.

17. San Francisco 49ers: Knile Davis, RB, Arkansas

The Niners need to find a successor to Frank Gore, and the big, physical Davis fits the bill.
Is SI.com reputable enough for you?

From SI.com ...

After a lackluster 2011 NFL Draft in both television ratings and quality, the hype will return next season thanks to a class loaded with talent at the offensive skill positions.

Hopefully the lockout will be a distant memory by the time Roger Goodell steps to the podium next April. The 2012 draft could be shaped by a rookie salary cap after the dust settles from the labor battle.

Here is a look at my (Way early) 2011 NFL Mock Draft from April of last year. No. 1 and No. 2 overall picks Ryan Mallett and Da'Quan Bowers looked relatively good throughout most of last college football season. Though this year's top guy seems a lot safer ...

1. Buffalo Bills: Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford

The Bills did well drafting Marcell Dareus, but still have too many holes on defense to improve next season. You won't find a single 2012 mock draft that doesn't list Luck No. 1. Other than injury, the only possibility he'll fall is if the bar is set too high and experts pick him apart.

2. Carolina Panthers: Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State

Blackmon might have been the highest receiver taken in the 2011 draft, even ahead of A.J. Green, who went No. 4 overall. The Panthers will be eager to get help for Cam Newton.

3. Cleveland Browns: Landry Jones, QB, Oklahoma

The 6-foot-4 Jones has NFL size and arm strength and has proved a lot in college already. He threw 38 touchdowns and 12 interceptions last season and should put up Sam Bradford-like numbers this season.

4. Tennessee Titans: Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina

The 6-6, 270-pound Coples had 10 sacks for North Carolina last season and will be the premiere pass rusher in this draft.

5. Seattle Seahawks: Matt Barkley, QB, USC

The Seahawks will make up for not taking a quarterback this season by reuniting Barkley with his former coach Pete Carroll.

6. Denver Broncos: Matt Kalil, OT, USC

The little brother of the Panthers' Ryan Kalil should be the first tackle taken and could go even higher depending on team needs. He's a solid technician and tough.

7. Cincinnati Bengals: Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa

At a school known for producing good offensive linemen, Reiff might be the best of the last decade. He's got a nasty attitude and will be NFL-ready.

8. Oakland Raiders: Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama

Kirkpatrick meets the Raiders' speed requirement and will team with Stanford Routt to give Oakland an impressive defensive backfield.

9. Minnesota Vikings: Jonathan Martin, T, Stanford

Vikings left tackle Bryant McKinnie will be 32 at the end of the season, so Minnesota will look to the future to help protect quarterback Christian Ponder.

10. Washington Redskins: Jared Crick, DT, Nebraska

Crick had 17 tackles for a loss and 9.5 sacks last season despite constant double-teams. His best fit in the NFL will be 3-4 end, but he could also slide over to tackle in a 4-3.

11. Dallas Cowboys: Cliff Harris, CB, Oregon

Harris is a bit undersized, but will fill a need here and can possibly be an explosive returner. He's similar to a young Terence Newman.

12. Detroit Lions: Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina

The Lions need to bolster their secondary and will take the highest rated cornerback at this spot. Gilmore still has something to prove, but could develop into a shutdown guy.

13. Miami Dolphins: Jerel Worthy, DT, Michigan State

Worthy didn't have big numbers last season (four sacks), but he takes up a lot of attention from opposing offensive lines and should develop into a productive 3-4 end.

14. Kansas City Chiefs: Nate Potter, OT, Boise State

The Chiefs need depth up front and Potter could possibly play multiple spots on the line.

15. Jacksonville Jaguars: Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama

The Jaguars will be eager to add another major weapon to help Blaine Gabbert.

16. Houston Texans: Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU

Claiborne had five interceptions last season and should fill nicely into Patrick Peterson's role. Houston surprised some folks by not going cornerback in this year's draft; it needs a lot of help in the secondary.

17. San Francisco 49ers: Knile Davis, RB, Arkansas

The Niners need to find a successor to Frank Gore, and the big, physical Davis fits the bill.
Is SI.com reputable enough for you?
But they only have him being drafted 17th. That doesn't mean he's seriously mentioned in elite talent. Cedric Benson went in the top 10 for chrissakes!

CBSsports.com, BleacherReport, CFN.com, NFLSFuture.com are not reputable? Gian put together that list pretty quickly. I'm sure if you dig a little deeper there will be more to your liking.
BleacherReport is absolutely not reputable at all, and I frankly never heard of CFN or NFLSFuture. Generally, the name of the write is more important than the scout. CBS is absolutely reputable, and they had him right around where he should have been -- behind Trent, and would have been behind Lattimore as well. If you recall, this discussion started as "he was right up there in the same sentence as Lattimore". I disagreed, and felt he was definitely a step below. In regards to the Kiper source: Sounds about right, behind Lattimore/Trent (though you could argue that his "right up there" comment meant that he was with Marcus/Trent, not at #3).

interesting that many of those sources also mention his history of injury... some of them before history repeated itself in 2011. meh!i disagreed with the "reputable" sources then and i disagree with some of you now. i trust my eyes. he was unimpressive then and even moreso in the PRESENT. i'll pass.

BleacherReport is absolutely not reputable at all, and I frankly never heard of CFN or NFLSFuture. Generally, the name of the write is more important than the scout. CBS is absolutely reputable, and they had him right around where he should have been -- behind Trent, and would have been behind Lattimore as well. If you recall, this discussion started as "he was right up there in the same sentence as Lattimore". I disagreed, and felt he was definitely a step below. In regards to the Kiper source: Sounds about right, behind Lattimore/Trent (though you could argue that his "right up there" comment meant that he was with Marcus/Trent, not at #3).
You care killing me with this. Kiper mentioned him in the same sentence, but since he ranked him lower than one it's not the same. There is ample evidence that you are wrong on this one. To stoop any lower in ignoring that fact would be to debate the definition of "is" at this point. Kiper mentiond a guy who is hurt all year in with Trent and Lattimore. Where do you think he mentions him if Knile was healthy?

You care killing me with this. Kiper mentioned him in the same sentence, but since he ranked him lower than one it's not the same. There is ample evidence that you are wrong on this one. To stoop any lower in ignoring that fact would be to debate the definition of "is" at this point. Kiper mentiond a guy who is hurt all year in with Trent and Lattimore. Where do you think he mentions him if Knile was healthy?
Here's what Kiper said today in his chat - found here.
John (Wisc)

Who are the Workout Warriors in this draft? Great without pads but when pads come on they dissappear.

Mel Kiper (1:47 PM)

Cornelius Washington, OLB, Georgia would fit into that category. Knile Davis, not because he didn't have the production but because he wasn't durable enough to have a lot of it. Margus Hunt, because he is raw. Michael Buchanan, Devin Taylor, Zaviar Gooden, Johnny Adams, Darius Slay.
ETA: while living in the past is fine with some... honestly, WHO CARES WTF WAS SAID 3 YEARS AGO. THE GUY HAS DONE NOTHING SINCE THE 2010 SEASON. NOTHING. except run super fast in the 40 yard dash... which we already knew he could do.

interesting that many of those sources also mention his history of injury... some of them before history repeated itself in 2011. meh!i disagreed with the "reputable" sources then and i disagree with some of you now. i trust my eyes. he was unimpressive then and even moreso in the PRESENT. i'll pass.
We get it. You don't like him. And that's fine.The point of those links isn't to convince you or anyone else that he's a great prospect today. It's to correct the misinformation that he was not considered a top prospect before (and even after his injury until his disappointing 2012 season). For those that may not have known about him then because they didn't follow along will just think based on some of the nonsense being posted here that this guy came out of nowhere and is just a champion of the combine. Again, link after link after link after link shows how he was regarded back then and he was widely considered a 1st round draft pick and one of the top 2-3 RBs in the nation. Now, his 2012 was definitely disappointing. Was it due to injury? Was it due to the terrible situation in Arkansas? Was it due to him just not being any good? Well, it could be any of those and owners will have to decide where they think he fits. But, people are crapping all over the guy now saying he can't run, has no vision, and never did when he was considered to be just fine just 2 years ago in all those departments. If you base that on what your eyes saw, that's fine. If you base that on misinformation that his is how he was always viewed as a poor prospect, then shame on you.

We get it. You don't like him. And that's fine.The point of those links isn't to convince you or anyone else that he's a great prospect today. It's to correct the misinformation that he was not considered a top prospect before (and even after his injury until his disappointing 2012 season). For those that may not have known about him then because they didn't follow along will just think based on some of the nonsense being posted here that this guy came out of nowhere and is just a champion of the combine. Again, link after link after link after link shows how he was regarded back then and he was widely considered a 1st round draft pick and one of the top 2-3 RBs in the nation. Now, his 2012 was definitely disappointing. Was it due to injury? Was it due to the terrible situation in Arkansas? Was it due to him just not being any good? Well, it could be any of those and owners will have to decide where they think he fits. But, people are crapping all over the guy now saying he can't run, has no vision, and never did when he was considered to be just fine just 2 years ago in all those departments. If you base that on what your eyes saw, that's fine. If you base that on misinformation that his is how he was always viewed as a poor prospect, then shame on you.
agreed. yes, people thought he was good. people also thought he was injury prone. for me he's only proven one of those opinions.

'Bogeys said:

Highlighted for emphasis. We can agree to disagree if you like.And edit: The reason Lattimore wasn't "in the discussion back then" was that these 'rankings' took place after he tore his ACL.
Sometimes its better just to admit when you are wrong. You got CRUSHED on this one. It isn't even an "agree to disagree" situation - you are flat wrong. Trying to now argue the word "reputable" to support your position is absurd. Everyone sees it and knows it except you.

While I don't like Davis now and don't have him in the top 24 rookie picks, I did have Davis as a top 5 RB back then.

I did have concerns back then + more injuries piled up + very poor 2012. All of that cannot be overcome by a great 40 yard dash time.

Here are some games for you guys to make your own conclusions:

lets make this a more constructive conversation

I think he actually looks like a better runner here than he did in 2010. The fumbles were a BIG problem and it was after this game that he was demoted and lost carries for the rest of the year. The thing is, his O-line gave him no help whatsoever and there was some good positive runs there. His final stat line wasn't great for this game but I think it shows what he's capable of.

Knile Davis isn't a shifty back and shouldn't be confused for one. But not all RBs in the NFL have to be shifty or make strong cuts. Guys like Forte, DMC, Foster, and Turner aren't making stop on a dime cuts and jukes in the backfield. But they are in systems that tailor to their strengths which are to get them going downhill quickly or into open space. Knile Davis is never going to be like McCoy or Charles or Spiller but he's not built like them either.

In that above highlight, he seemed to run with better power and not go down as easily as he did earlier on. Don't forget that he was only 18/19 years old during that sophomore year. I don't think Knile could thrive on just any team, but given the right system, he could be an every down starter and put up some solid numbers.

I'm going to need you to define "better runner" as well as "thrive." And I only want reputable sources. I'll take a Webster's definition, but nothing from dictionary.com. And even then, I reserve the right to disagree with Webster...

Concerns:-OL play doesn't seem great in any of those games. However, Knile isn't a creative runner whatsoever. If the hole is there, great positive gain. If the hole isn't there, minimal gain or loss. Way too many times I saw him stay frontside no matter what and not even look at cutting back, which makes me question his vision.-Going down on first contact. He's big/fast, but he doesn't break as many tackles as he should. Loses too many one on one battles at the college level.-Balance. He made a couple of nice tight ropes down the sideline, but overall I think he has poor balance. EBF pointed out top heavy, that might be the issue. He doesn't have quick enough feet to stabilize himself once he's off center. -Speed. He ran in the 4.3's at the combine, but how many times did he play up to that speed on the field? The only time he looked fast was the reception vs Texas A&M.

interesting that many of those sources also mention his history of injury... some of them before history repeated itself in 2011. meh!

i disagreed with the "reputable" sources then and i disagree with some of you now. i trust my eyes. he was unimpressive then and even moreso in the PRESENT. i'll pass.
We get it. You don't like him. And that's fine.The point of those links isn't to convince you or anyone else that he's a great prospect today. It's to correct the misinformation that he was not considered a top prospect before (and even after his injury until his disappointing 2012 season). For those that may not have known about him then because they didn't follow along will just think based on some of the nonsense being posted here that this guy came out of nowhere and is just a champion of the combine.

Again, link after link after link after link shows how he was regarded back then and he was widely considered a 1st round draft pick and one of the top 2-3 RBs in the nation. Now, his 2012 was definitely disappointing. Was it due to injury? Was it due to the terrible situation in Arkansas? Was it due to him just not being any good? Well, it could be any of those and owners will have to decide where they think he fits. But, people are crapping all over the guy now saying he can't run, has no vision, and never did when he was considered to be just fine just 2 years ago in all those departments. If you base that on what your eyes saw, that's fine. If you base that on misinformation that his is how he was always viewed as a poor prospect, then shame on you.
You are moving the goalposts with the above underlined comments. My quote and source of contention was merely a comment regarding him vs. Lattimore:
I don't recall a single reputable source claiming that Davis was ahead of Lattimore in terms of projected NFL talent. People certainly thought he was intriguing with his size/speed, but he needed to make improvements (pad level, pass pro, break a tackle just once in a blue moon perhaps).
All of these sources, save the Kiper quote, were taken after the 2011 season (and thus when Lattimore was not longer in the discussion due to his injury status). The Kiper quote had Lattimore as #1, ahead of Trent as well.As I said in my original quote, Knile was an intriguing prospect, but he wasn't in the same class as Lattimore.

It has runs from 2010 and 2012 on there. When you look at the individual games that show all the runs, I agree there are times he doesn't look good. But that holds true for most any RB. What I want to see is if a guy is capable of doing certain things and he shows plenty of balance, power and speed in that video against lots of different teams with quality defenses. I agree he goes down too easy more than I'd like to see, but I saw runs where he should have gone down and didn't. And what you don't see a lot of is him running through gaping holes. He pretty much has to make most of those runs on his own.

First off all, thanks for having an actually constructive discussion about Davis' game. We need more of these in the SP.I watched the highlights.Agreed, certain times RB's look better than others.At times he flashes Balance/Speed, but it's inconsistent. Even the reception vs Texas A&M, it didn't look like 4.3 type speed. I didn't see a lot of power, let me know where you saw this.I disagree with the gaping hole comment. I believe the only times he had good runs were on very well blocked plays or him getting the ball on the corner/space. This is a big concern of mine because he doesn't adjust well and cutback if the design of the play isn't working.One final comment from the highlights, he looks much more explosive in 2010 than 2012. Maybe he lost a step.

Just stop. It's OK to be wrong. Sheesh.

'Bogeys said:

Sometimes its better just to admit when you are wrong. You got CRUSHED on this one. It isn't even an "agree to disagree" situation - you are flat wrong. Trying to now argue the word "reputable" to support your position is absurd. Everyone sees it and knows it except you.
:goodposting:

'Bogeys said:

Oh, how short our memories are:Top 25 Prospects for 2012

Looking ahead, only Trent Richardson (5'11", 224 pounds) and Knile Davis (6'0", 228 pounds) seem destined for the 2012 draft's first round. Rookie revelations can come from anywhere, but these top-flight talents are the best bets.
Top SEC prospects (listed as #2 RB behind Richardson)
7. *Knile Davis, RB, Arkansas 6-0/228/4.43 Once Davis worked his way into the starting lineup (Week 6), he tore up the SEC. He led the conference in total yards with 1,322 yards and scored 13 times (12 in the season's last seven weeks) on the season using a nice blend of size and speed few backs in the class can match. Though Davis tends to run with his pads a bit high and won't have as much success running east-west in the NFL as he does in college, he should only get better as a junior. With another year of similar production, teams will consider drafting him around the same spot where former Arkansas back Felix Jones landed in 2008 (No. 22 overall, Cowboys).
Top 2012 RB Prospects (listed #2 behind only Richardson)
Knile Davis, RB, Arkansas

Height: 6'0 Weight: 220

Knile Davis didn't take over the starting job at Arkansas until game five of the 2010 season. He still amassed 1,322 yards and 13 TD's. Davis is another physical specimen with better top end speed than Richardson. He is drawing comparisons to former Razorback, Darren McFadden. While he won't be drafted as high as McFadden he may bring similar abilities. If Davis can stay healthy this season (historic issue) he could find his way into the first round

2012 NFL Draft Projection: 1-2
Top Pre-Season RBs (Listed as the #1 overall RB over Richardson)
1. Knile Davis, Jr, Arkansas, 6'0 220

- He may have the best size/speed combination since Adrian Peterson left Oklahoma. Shows good strength between the tackles and the ability to go the distance from anywhere on the field.

2. Trent Richardson, Jr, Alabama, 5'11 220

- Tough inside runner who proves hard to bring down. Richardson shows good patience, vision, and playing speed. He may be a better overall athlete than former teammate Mark Ingram.
2012 Mock Draft
Bleacher Report's Matt Miller believes that Knile Davis will be a first round pick in 2012 and that the Giants will be the team to select him. This is what Miller had to say about the Giants selecting Davis,

"The Giants need to use the first-round pick in 2012 on finding a three-down running back who can carry the load and take pressure off quarterback Eli Manning.

Knile Davis is our No. 1 running back in the country. His physical blend of running is a great mix to his quickness and shifty open-field moves."
Scout.com top draft picks (#9 OVERALL)

9. RB Knile Davis, Arkansas (Jr.)

If this was 15 years ago, he’d be in the hunt for the No. 1 overall pick. Hands are a bit of a problem and he’ll put the ball on the ground, but he could start for several NFL teams right now with his pass catching ability and his downhill thumping style.
Wow ... This confirms what we already knew.Most of the people on this board have no idea what they are talking about. 7th round? UDFA?

Great Size - 227lbs

Great Speed - 4.30

Great Strength - 31 bench presses 225 lbs

This guy is well worth a chance in the 3rd of 4th rd.

0:17 -- It's E. Mich, but his original hole is quickly closed off and he cuts back and breaks through. His 4.3 speed is evident there and gets through a (poor) arm tackle.1:33 -- Strong run against Auburn with a cutback, breaks through an arm tackle and goes ahead for extra yards.2:13 -- Another good run, making something out of nothing and running through tackle attempts3:41 -- Tough run vs. LSU, making guys miss, using power and speed to gain extra yards4:36 -- Love this run vs. Texas A&M. Overall, he's not running into guys in the box and pushing forward because he tries to make plays by getting into open space when he can and most of his runs aren't designed runs that are meant to push the pile. That said, he finishes his runs leaning forward and is often getting an extra 2-3 yards as a result. He's not a bruising RB like S. Jackson but he doesn't have to be. He's not an elite talented guy destined to be a top 5 RB in the NFL but I'm not seeing the deficiencies as dramatic as some are making them out to be. I see more than enough agility and lean to make guys miss and get positive yards.

He's starting to grow on me(as i've rewatched every clip I can today), however he still has the injury concerns(which may have caused him to lose explosiveness), lateral agility, and fumbling.Right now I have it:

Lacy

Bernard

Lattimore

Bell

Ball

Stacy

Taylor

Michael

Franklin

K. Davis

Who should he be ahead of here?

Taylor's combine was so poor, that he is in danger of going undrafted. I loved him as a 3/4th guy when I felt he'd run a 4.6, but a 4.78 is just too far outside the norm. Assuming he doesn't run a non-fullback time as his pro day, I'd take a flyer on Davis before him.I think Barner and Randle should be considered in the list above as well.

Combine doesn't mean everything to me, so I still think Taylor will get drafted. Everyone knew his flaw was speed, but that doesn't make him go from potentially round 2 to undrafted. Are you discounting Montee Ball as well?You like Barner/Randle above some of the others?

Users who are viewing this thread