What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Jaleel McLaughlin, DEN (1 Viewer)

I'd pump the brakes. Getting overhyped here in these forums. He's aight. Nothing tremendously special as a runner. A good story. You love to see families perservere through adversity and hopefully he can cash his lottery ticket for all of them.

I'd pump the brakes. Getting overhyped here in these forums. He's aight. Nothing tremendously special as a runner. A good story. You love to see families perservere through adversity and hopefully he can cash his lottery ticket for all of them.
And who’s special there by comparison?

Man, sometimes I wish we could link some forums together. Like with the Javonte thread or have a Den RBs chat that we can quote easily from.

I think this is a good year to talk about these emerging smaller speedy RBs. They say Jaleel is undrafted Achane or Achane lite. Which is very optimistic.

I think Sean's RBBC is fine for Jaleel as he gains more confidence in the pass pro. Perine prolly can't hold him off for long if he develops there. Should be a High upside RB3 flex at worst and could be RB2 upside if Javonte stays down.

He is electric, I also kind of think back to Pacheco when he was flashing before he got the RB1 role, 'hungry running' and needed to gain confidence/trust. The ticker is moving up.

Is it safe to assume by usage so far that Jaleel isn't a great option for negative game scripts? DEN should get blasted this weekend and it has seemed like Jaleel does damage early then is quiet during catch up mode. I haven't actually watched any Broncos games so not sure that is accurate, but feels like it is.

Is it safe to assume by usage so far that Jaleel isn't a great option for negative game scripts? DEN should get blasted this weekend and it has seemed like Jaleel does damage early then is quiet during catch up mode. I haven't actually watched any Broncos games so not sure that is accurate, but feels like it is.
Not saying he can't be a RB, but his size doesn't help for pass protection which becomes a necessity when playing from behind. Enter Perine who has decent receiving skills and can pass protect.

And they give him a whopping 4 carries in the second half. Genius!
you clearly don't understand how smart coaches think....if you perform really well, you don't want to keep giving them the ball because the other team will expect you to give it to them...so what you do is give it to someone else that no one expects....BRILLIANT!!
This is overly simplistic and misplaced. Denver used him when they could.

The Broncos ran a grand total of 14 plays in 5 possessions the first 24 minutes of the 2nd half. Four 3's and outs and a fumble. Jaleel was in for much of that but of course his touches were low since the total play count was low.

Then it was 24-13 with 6 mins left and, even though Perine is generally the primary back for the 2-minute drill, Jaleel got two carries including one from the 6-yard line.

Perine has been the 2-min/hurry up back since summer training camp when Payton heavily emphasized situational drills and corresponding personnel packages.

Jaleel “real deal” McLaughin’ to the bank
I share this same enthusiasm and want to just argue Jaleel is special...

He is the HC's handpicked guy. The pet project. Had the HC's confidence all while being undrafted and the camp was awesome. when it's all said and done, they'll possibly have another movie about this story too... insert Kevin James as Sean Payton in the sequel to "Hometeam" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xppbyXSxPlo)

but Pass Pro honestly, is the crux of McLauglin. Its one of the top things that can derail him if not solved.

Here is an excerpt from the story after the Bears game, where he got the game ball. His inexperience as a blocker, which is exacerbated by his relatively diminutive 5-foot-7, 187-pound size, cost the Broncos at times in pass protection, but by far, McLaughlin was a net-net positive.

I believe Sean Payton wants to hone in on Jaleel and get him more involved in the gameplan.
Currently, Jaleel can catch, but prolly not as well as Perine and Perine can definitely pass pro better than Jaleel.

That being said I think this comes down to how good the coaching is for Jaleel, I think Payton will give Jaleel the best coaching in this case and we see McLaughlin hit.

but Pass Pro honestly, is the crux of McLauglin. Its one of the top things that can derail him if not solved.

Here is an excerpt from the story after the Bears game, where he got the game ball. His inexperience as a blocker, which is exacerbated by his relatively diminutive 5-foot-7, 187-pound size, cost the Broncos at times in pass protection, but by far, McLaughlin was a net-net positive.
But I don't think the coaching staff views him as a long-term liability in pass pro, just undeveloped and needing game reps. This is an excerpt from something I posted during training camp.

Just how effective the undersized 5-foot-7 back can be in pass protection responsibilities could be the difference between him making it or not. Broncos offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi has been keeping tabs on how the ascending rookie is handling his pass pro duties, and so far, it's looking good for McLaughlin.

“I think the big challenge for a rookie is protection,” Lombardi said this week. “Knowing the protections and knowing who he is responsible for. I would say he has done a really good job for a rookie at that and just continuing to develop there. When you see a guy performing like he has at practice, you are always curious to see how it translates to a game. So far, that has been good marks for him.”

Last edited:
How long do 190 lb 4.44 speed late rd UDFA RBs last in the NFL once they emerge and become productive? I know of only one example and that's Phillip Lindsay and he only lasted 2 and a half yrs. :|

So if Javonte, Perone, and Jaleel are all healthy what’s the prediction for touches? I’ll start so you can make fun of me.

Javonte 60%
Jaleel 30%
Perine 10%

So if Javonte, Perone, and Jaleel are all healthy what’s the prediction for touches? I’ll start so you can make fun of me.

Javonte 60%
Jaleel 30%
Perine 10%

That's pretty accurate imo.

If Javonte isn't fully healthy, I might say:

Javonte 50%
Perine 25%
McLaughlin 25%

I’ll argue that Jaleel gives the team the best chance to move the ball and or score whenever he touches the ball. Force feeding a sluggish Javonte because he was drafted higher in fantasy seems kind of ridiculous. Because honestly, he looks nothing like the explosive rookie from two years ago.

Barring a series of bad rookie errors I think Achane2 has the Sproles role locked. Last couple weeks usage looks about right - 10-12 high leverage touches per game - whether or not Javonte is active.

ETA: (for now)
Agreed. Both Jaleel and the Broncos will be most productive if it's a thunder/lightning type situation

the current regime has no ties to javonte whatsoever....it's anyone's ballgame at this point.

Not exactly true, it’s the same GM that traded up into the early 2nd for JW. Doesn’t mean much two years later with a new coach and after a devastating injury though.

the current regime has no ties to javonte whatsoever....it's anyone's ballgame at this point.
Not exactly true, it’s the same GM that traded up into the early 2nd for JW. Doesn’t mean much two years later with a new coach and after a devastating injury though.
Not really. In previous regimes the HC worked for GM George Paton. In the current regime, GM George Paton works for HC Sean Payton.

This is not hyperbole. Payton was hired directly by the Walter-Penner ownership group with G. Paton playing a secondary role in follow-up interviews.

That said, there have been absolutely no indications to date other than Sean Payton loves Javonte Williams as his starter and Mark Ingram wannabe.

Total speculation on my part, which means this will never happen, but I can't think of a more "make sense" trade for both teams for Denver to see if Cincy might want to re-acquire Perine.

Would solve a lot of our fantasy issues and I think Cincy actually misses him. When Denver signed Perine they did not know if/when Javonte would be ready, did not have Jaleel and did not know they'd stink this bad so to the thought process of "why sign this guy to trade him" , I would say a lot changed.

Anyway back to reality I don't know what to expect out of this backfield when all are healthy. I don't want to start any of them but don't have that luxury. But if I was ranking them this week on assumption they are all healthy I'd rank them as Jaleel, Javonte and Perine. I think Javonte gets the most work but in this case I'd go with the guy who can make a big play and does not need as much volume.

Love the kid, and am very happy with what he gave me in the flex last week. However, with Javonte back and Perine being no scrub, this backfield has the makings of a fantasy nightmare imho.

I was able to trade for him in one league where I had Javonte thanks to this thread and glad I plugged him in there too. Unfortunately i agree with so e of tge other posters and think this will be full blown RBBC once JW is healthy again.

The good thing will be that McLoughlin will get the “high value” touches where its getting him into space where he’s got room to break a big one. I think we’ll see JW in the grinder roll which will be TD and game script dependent. Perine will probably cap the fantasy usefulness of both as the defense has turned into a joke resulting in a lot of negative game scripts.

Total speculation on my part, which means this will never happen, but I can't think of a more "make sense" trade for both teams for Denver to see if Cincy might want to re-acquire Perine.

Would solve a lot of our fantasy issues and I think Cincy actually misses him. When Denver signed Perine they did not know if/when Javonte would be ready, did not have Jaleel and did not know they'd stink this bad so to the thought process of "why sign this guy to trade him" , I would say a lot changed.
Why would this trade "make sense" for Denver?

They've got three complementary backs on affordable contracts thru at least '24 who get along very well in the locker room and feed off each other on the field.

RB's get nicked up all the time and teams need a full stable over a 17-game season.

Rob Walton
Den Owner
NFL Network’s James Palmer reports “changes could be coming” after the Broncos lost to the Jets in Week 5.
“The sense I get is a potential tear down is coming,” according to Palmer, starting with Thursday night’s matchup with the Chiefs. The Broncos sent DE Randy Gregory to the 49ers last week and are rumored to be shopping EDGE Frank Clark and WRs Courtland Sutton/Jerry Jeudy ahead of the trade deadline. Denver (1-4) faces Kansas City in two of the next three weeks, giving little hope of turning around the season. A Week 6 shakeup could lead to more touches for rookies Jaleel McLaughlin and Marvin Mims, who lead the team in yards on 20% snap shares.
1h ago
Source: NFL.com

Rob Walton
Den Owner
NFL Network’s James Palmer reports “changes could be coming” after the Broncos lost to the Jets in Week 5.
“The sense I get is a potential tear down is coming,” according to Palmer, starting with Thursday night’s matchup with the Chiefs. The Broncos sent DE Randy Gregory to the 49ers last week and are rumored to be shopping EDGE Frank Clark and WRs Courtland Sutton/Jerry Jeudy ahead of the trade deadline. Denver (1-4) faces Kansas City in two of the next three weeks, giving little hope of turning around the season. A Week 6 shakeup could lead to more touches for rookies Jaleel McLaughlin and Marvin Mims, who lead the team in yards on 20% snap shares.
1h ago
Source: NFL.com
Cecil saying similar stuff on the audible podcast

They've got three complementary backs on affordable contracts thru at least '24 who get along very well in the locker room and feed off each other on the field.

RB's get nicked up all the time and teams need a full stable over a 17-game season.
This is the team you follow and you actually have to ask that question?

I already said what changed and everyone with a brain knows Payton saying recently he was not shopping players was a leverage point.

I'll just addd the notion of needing 3 RB's to get through a season is for teams that actually have something to play for the rest of the season.

I already said what changed and everyone with a brain knows Payton saying recently he was not shopping players was a leverage point.

I'll just addd the notion of needing 3 RB's to get through a season is for teams that actually have something to play for the rest of the season.
So you've already got Denver tanking in '24 as well?

Let's just trade a productive Perine under contract for two years...and then use the 6th rounder obtained in return on a rookie that would be lucky to make the team

Brilliant rebuilding strategy

So you've already got Denver tanking in '24 as well?

Let's just trade a productive Perine under contract for two years...and then use the 6th rounder obtained in return on a rookie that would be lucky to make the team

Brilliant rebuilding strategy

You also clear $4.5M in ‘24 cap hits for a JAG who looks like he’s wearing concrete boots at the most replaceable position in sports.

When I mentioned the Perine trade back to Cincy I was pretty clear I was just making up stuff that I thought made sense to both teams. About half an hour after I posted that message this tweet came out and I'll say again it's not something I'd be predicting but it sure should not be surprising to anyone if it went down.

Paul Dehner Jr.

@pauldehnerjr

- Callahan stated been "pleased" with OL play, specifically in pass pro. Like one less sack, but overall "feels much more nailed down and solid." That recent years.- Said need more out of 3DRB/TE. Just not getting what did last year with Hurst/Perine.

You also clear $4.5M in ‘24 cap hits for a JAG who looks like he’s wearing concrete boots at the most replaceable position in sports.
If that's actually true then the Broncos wouldn't even get a 6th in return

Fun fact for the fans of JAGs who wear concrete boots:

Samaje Perine: 15 recpts / 11.2 yards/catch
Jaleel McLaughlin: 7 recpts / 6.6 yards/catch

If that's actually true then the Broncos wouldn't even get a 6th in return

Fun fact for the fans of JAGs who wear concrete boots:

Samaje Perine: 15 recpts / 11.2 yards/catch
Jaleel McLaughlin: 7 recpts / 6.6 yards/catch

I bet you didn’t realize I knew exactly how intellectually dishonest these stats truly are.

Thank the Lord that I didn't start him although my alternative is Jerome Ford who will likely not be a great start either.

Coming off 19 and 18-pt performances the last 2 weeks, could not fault anyone that thought they might find something last night but int he end Javonte Williams got most of the work, McLaughlin still ended up with 7/30 on the ground, 2 catches, miserable night for the Denver offense, could not throw the ball all night

Touches last night:

Javonte: 10
Jaleel: 9
Samaje: 2 (lost a fumble with one of them)

No need to panic here, and brighter days ahead, especially if/when Payton decides to go nuclear and bench Russ for Stidham.

Feeling like he might be a decent Flex this week, especially with the byes. GB has given up some points to RBs this year. Does have Williams to contend with, but he could make enough plays to be worth it.

Luv this dude's game. Not sure it will result in enough fantasy points to make me or you happy, but excited to watch him try this weekend and beyond.

Luv this dude's game. Not sure it will result in enough fantasy points to make me or you happy, but excited to watch him try this weekend and beyond.
He just won’t get enough touches with Williams healthy. It’s Achane touches with a third of the production.

Users who are viewing this thread