What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Khiry Robinson (1 Viewer)

I haven't read this anywhere but do the Saints dangle Mark Ingram as trade bait now that they have PT and Robinson and Cadet? Ingram would likely garner at least a pick or a player in return. Do the Saints really need to go with that much depth at running back? They have to sign Graham to a long term deal and then next year they have Jordan coming up on his 5th year. Can they afford to extend Mark Ingram anyhow?
I don't think they have any intention of extending Ingram. After seeing the 3 year/$10M deals these other RB's are getting they are likely looking to move on.

As far a trading him, I doubt they would get anything meaningful back and it would only save them $400k on the cap.

And the fellow undrafted Pierre Thomas was the Saints least effective runner last season by a good margin, safe to say it's pretty unlikely he's gonna lead the Saints carries by such a wide margin again.
Thomas had a solid season last year, despite the raw numbers. The Saints are happy with him and I highly doubt they're putting any stock in his YPC.
They are happy with him for the price. If he had the same salary as Sproles he'd be the one leaving instead.

Anyone in NO who gets receptions plus goalline is a potential stud.
What does that have to do with a guy who had zero catches and one TD last year?
If you wait til after a player gets a 50rec 8TD season to determine someone has stud potential then you'll be too late every time. Was Arian Foster not a potential stud after his 8rec 3TD rookie season? To dominate in dynasty leagues you need to try and predict the future, if you wait for these guys to have a good season before you believe in them you'll miss out on acquiring any of them.

Khiry caught 38 balls in his senior season in college, that's a tonne for a college back, and he looked comfortable doing it as he did in the preseason this year. And at 220lbs he's the Saints biggest back and they even used him as their goal line back in a do-or-die playoff game against Seattle. I think there's definitely enough reason to think he has the potential to be the Saints goalline back who also gets his share of receptions.
:lmao: You must have missed the fact that Robinson just really isn't all that good. He wasn't drafted, NO didn't use him much, Ingram outplayed him all year, and they just extended Pierre Thomas. They'll probably also draft or sign another RB in May to help fill the Sproles void.

But go on believing he can be the next Arian Foster.
Ahh, the old Shark Pool straw man with erroneous inferences, fantastic. My point was Foster wasn't drafted either and he didn't exactly dominate with his 8rec and 3TD in his rookie season; I was simply pointing out that that combination of facts doesn't doom a player to a fate of mediocrity yet alone irrelevancy.

Ingram had 2 good games all regular season long, he wasn't exactly tearing things up nor were the Saints using him much given his 7 carries per game average. And the fellow undrafted Pierre Thomas was the Saints least effective runner last season by a good margin, safe to say it's pretty unlikely he's gonna lead the Saints carries by such a wide margin again. As SaintsInDome2006 points out, there's a lot of variability and opportunity in the Saints offense right now, I don't think anything is set in stone in that situation.
Of course being a UDFA doesn't in and of itself doom anyone to mediocrity -- and I never said that it did. But it's a relevant data point, particularly when discussing a player with as few career touches as Khiry Robinson has. The odds are stacked against him, both as a player and situationally, so heavily that throwing around stuff like "potential stud" and invoking Arian Foster is pure ridiculous hyperbole, but again, carry on.

If you look back through the Robinson threads, I'm not a blind hater -- I picked him up last year in a bunch of leagues and still own him in one where I have been unable to find a sucker... errr buyer. I am realistic, though -- and it's HUGELY unlikely that Robinson ever develops into anything substantial.

Of course being a UDFA doesn't in and of itself doom anyone to mediocrity -- and I never said that it did. But it's a relevant data point, particularly when discussing a player with as few career touches as Khiry Robinson has. The odds are stacked against him, both as a player and situationally, so heavily that throwing around stuff like "potential stud" and invoking Arian Foster is pure ridiculous hyperbole, but again, carry on.If you look back through the Robinson threads, I'm not a blind hater -- I picked him up last year in a bunch of leagues and still own him in one where I have been unable to find a sucker... errr buyer. I am realistic, though -- and it's HUGELY unlikely that Robinson ever develops into anything substantial.
I get what you're saying but if anyone had thrown around the phrase 'potential stud' about Foster at the beginning of 2010, let alone after they drafted Tate, they would have been laughed out of the room. My opinion is that once a player makes a team and flashes some potential you can throw draft position out the window.

Robinson would need Ingram to break his ankle like Tate for him to have a big fantasy year, but if he plays well the job is his for the taking in 2015. A lot of things could get in his way - disappointing play, the Saints draft/sign another RB - but right now he has the opportunity. Realistically though the odds of him becoming a fantasy relevant RB is 50% at best.

If you wait til after a player gets a 50rec 8TD season to determine someone has stud potential then you'll be too late every time. Was Arian Foster not a potential stud after his 8rec 3TD rookie season? To dominate in dynasty leagues you need to try and predict the future, if you wait for these guys to have a good season before you believe in them you'll miss out on acquiring any of them.

Khiry caught 38 balls in his senior season in college, that's a tonne for a college back, and he looked comfortable doing it as he did in the preseason this year. And at 220lbs he's the Saints biggest back and they even used him as their goal line back in a do-or-die playoff game against Seattle. I think there's definitely enough reason to think he has the potential to be the Saints goalline back who also gets his share of receptions.
:lmao: You must have missed the fact that Robinson just really isn't all that good. He wasn't drafted, NO didn't use him much, Ingram outplayed him all year, and they just extended Pierre Thomas. They'll probably also draft or sign another RB in May to help fill the Sproles void.

Ahh, the old Shark Pool straw man with erroneous inferences, fantastic. My point was Foster wasn't drafted either and he didn't exactly dominate with his 8rec and 3TD in his rookie season; I was simply pointing out that that combination of facts doesn't doom a player to a fate of mediocrity yet alone irrelevancy.

Ingram had 2 good games all regular season long, he wasn't exactly tearing things up nor were the Saints using him much given his 7 carries per game average. And the fellow undrafted Pierre Thomas was the Saints least effective runner last season by a good margin, safe to say it's pretty unlikely he's gonna lead the Saints carries by such a wide margin again. As SaintsInDome2006 points out, there's a lot of variability and opportunity in the Saints offense right now, I don't think anything is set in stone in that situation.
Of course being a UDFA doesn't in and of itself doom anyone to mediocrity -- and I never said that it did. But it's a relevant data point, particularly when discussing a player with as few career touches as Khiry Robinson has. The odds are stacked against him, both as a player and situationally, so heavily that throwing around stuff like "potential stud" and invoking Arian Foster is pure ridiculous hyperbole, but again, carry on.

If you look back through the Robinson threads, I'm not a blind hater -- I picked him up last year in a bunch of leagues and still own him in one where I have been unable to find a sucker... errr buyer. I am realistic, though -- and it's HUGELY unlikely that Robinson ever develops into anything substantial.
Again, Arian Foster was only invoked to provide an evidence point that having minimal stats in a rookie season doesn't mean that the RB doesn't have stud potential, nothing more nothing less.

And yes the odds are stacked against Khiry and all that, but imo it's foolish to ignore the upside he has. And as someone who judges players on how they look as much as how good their stats are, I think the likelihood he develops into something is WAY more likely than you're giving him credit for, but we can agree to disagree there.

I get what you're saying but if anyone had thrown around the phrase 'potential stud' about Foster at the beginning of 2010, let alone after they drafted Tate, they would have been laughed out of the room. My opinion is that once a player makes a team and flashes some potential you can throw draft position out the window.

Robinson would need Ingram to break his ankle like Tate for him to have a big fantasy year, but if he plays well the job is his for the taking in 2015. A lot of things could get in his way - disappointing play, the Saints draft/sign another RB - but right now he has the opportunity. Realistically though the odds of him becoming a fantasy relevant RB is 50% at best.
Leaving aside Robinson himself, what is really there for the taking in NO? They seem hugely committed to RBBC, and the bulk of the FF points out of the NO backfield have come in the form of volume receptions for Payton's entire run, except when he had Pro Bowler Deuce McCallister as a rookie HC. Thomas is now in the fold for two more years, and even Ingram was more of a factor in the passing game than was Robinson last year.

There have been multiple great sell high windows for Robinson already in his brief career -- turning a WW freebie into a rookie 2nd, or a moderately useful player is a guaranteed big win for anyone. The window is definitely pretty likely to slam shut again soon, either when the Saints draft someone or when the season starts and Robinson is getting 5-8 carries a week and minimal receiving work. You're definitely making a pretty big -EV bet if you're holding him because "he's a potential stud." Anyone we know essentially nothing about could be a stud -- but that doesn't mean you shouldn't trade longshots for incremental value gains to a true believer every single time. Over the long haul, those small sure value gains are a much better bet than throwing a handful of darts hoping to uncover a 1 / 1000 Arian Foster.

Of course being a UDFA doesn't in and of itself doom anyone to mediocrity -- and I never said that it did. But it's a relevant data point, particularly when discussing a player with as few career touches as Khiry Robinson has. The odds are stacked against him, both as a player and situationally, so heavily that throwing around stuff like "potential stud" and invoking Arian Foster is pure ridiculous hyperbole, but again, carry on.If you look back through the Robinson threads, I'm not a blind hater -- I picked him up last year in a bunch of leagues and still own him in one where I have been unable to find a sucker... errr buyer. I am realistic, though -- and it's HUGELY unlikely that Robinson ever develops into anything substantial.
Again, Arian Foster was only invoked to provide an evidence point that having minimal stats in a rookie season doesn't mean that the RB doesn't have stud potential, nothing more nothing less.

And yes the odds are stacked against Khiry and all that, but imo it's foolish to ignore the upside he has. And as someone who judges players on how they look as much as how good their stats are, I think the likelihood he develops into something is WAY more likely than you're giving him credit for, but we can agree to disagree there.
Weighing an eyeball test on a handful of career touches over hard data like (lack of) draft position and historical team usage patterns at RB seems like a pretty sketchy way to assess a player to me, but YMMV.

People forget how valuable Thomas was in PPR, albeit in stretches:

2008: 10-15 #3 RB

2009: 3-16 #8

2010: 1-3 #11, injured

2011: 7-16 #14

2013: 5-15 #10

I think this is why the hype for Robinson was so great, when it looked like Thomas and Sproles were out. He can catch the ball and he is bigger then Thomas. I still think Robinson will have flex value and could have great value if Thomas or Ingram get dinged up early.

I think this is why the hype for Robinson was so great, when it looked like Thomas and Sproles were out. He can catch the ball and he is bigger then Thomas. I still think Robinson will have flex value and could have great value if Thomas or Ingram get dinged up early.
Yeah, but that cat who gave the 1.08 and a 2nd rd pick for Robinson is probably stepping out on the ledge about right now.

Yeah, but that cat who gave the 1.08 and a 2nd rd pick for Robinson is probably stepping out on the ledge about right now.
That or he is poking his Pierre Thomas voodoo doll in the legs right now!

Trying to see the silver lining here, but might Thomas' resigning mean they don't don't a rookie RB this year?

This is really my main point. I like Robinson as a stash, but not at the cost of turning down a guaranteed great return on the initial WW pickup. Obviously the above package is an outlier, but Robinson has a good chunk of believers out there who will give you much more than "nice longshot stash" prices.

This is really my main point. I like Robinson as a stash, but not at the cost of turning down a guaranteed great return on the initial WW pickup. Obviously the above package is an outlier, but Robinson has a good chunk of believers out there who will give you much more than "nice longshot stash" prices.
You mentioned trading him for a 2nd and I don't see the benefit of that. All that gets you is another gamble, maybe one that was drafted but still a gamble.

You mentioned trading him for a 2nd and I don't see the benefit of that. All that gets you is another gamble, maybe one that was drafted but still a gamble.
2nds make absolutely fantastic trade currency without burning up a roster spot -- and if executed that will be better than a UDFA in RBBC. Basically, I see Robinson's value as very likely to completely crater if / when it becomes obvious he's just another < 100 carry, minimal catch cog in the Saints' system.

2nds make absolutely fantastic trade currency without burning up a roster spot -- and if executed that will be better than a UDFA in RBBC. Basically, I see Robinson's value as very likely to completely crater if / when it becomes obvious he's just another < 100 carry, minimal catch cog in the Saints' system.
You keep bringing up that he was a UDFA- so were Thomas and Ivory, so that obviously doesn't mean much to NO.

You keep bringing up that he was a UDFA- so were Thomas and Ivory, so that obviously doesn't mean much to NO.
I bring it up because it's the best measure of a player's talent when we have < 100 career touches to go on. And what if he is the next Ivory? Then everyone turning down the sell high offers right now is a stone cold fool. Ivory is a dog turd.

I bring it up because it's the best measure of a player's talent when we have < 100 career touches to go on. And what if he is the next Ivory? Then everyone turning down the sell high offers right now is a stone cold fool. Ivory is a dog turd.
Fantasy value is a combination of talent and opportunity. NO obviously is more than willing to give an UDFA RB opportunity, so I don't view that as a negative in this situation.

Ivory's value increased when he was traded, so anyone "selling high" on him before that could have sold higher.

He wasn't considered one when he signed with the Jets. I thought the deals posted in the Dynasty Trade thread were ridiculous but they happened.

Stop with this Robinson can catch, any player can catch but he currently has no catches in an NFL game. So we have no idea what he can do when he catches a ball in an NFL game.

He wasn't considered one when he signed with the Jets. I thought the deals posted in the Dynasty Trade thread were ridiculous but they happened.
He was by me LOL.

And if you're not at least testing the market, there's a decent chance you passed up one or more of those deals the past few days. Sure, Khiry could eventually sign somewhere else and offer similar return for a brief time, or he might end up getting involved in the passing game and be a poor man's Pierre Thomas, but give me the bird in hand here.

Stop with this Robinson can catch, any player can catch but he currently has no catches in an NFL game. So we have no idea what he can do when he catches a ball in an NFL game.
Stop with the he hasn't caught any in an NFL game, he didn't play a lot last year and the Saints used Thomas and Sproles as their pass catching backs. We all know how the Saints use their backs. It was a lack of chances. A guy that caught that many passes in college just doesn't forget how to catch the ball because he is in the NFL.

Also he has caught a pass in an NFL game.

Look I'm fully aware of the difference, but just to be clear Robinson was 11/103/ in the preseason, including 6/50 in one game (the 3rd PS game), and he had a nice 13 yard catch and run in the Seahawks playoff game (one in which Cadet and Ingram had awful, costly drops on short screens in what was obviously a key part of the gameplan). And keep in mind he didn't really get into a lot of games or get much time to begin with.

Nice catch here vs KC at 0.18:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-chUczXP2KI

And yes I realize it's "just TC" but this clip (at 0.40) has him lining up at WR for one pass (40 seconds in) - the catch is not so much the thing but the fact they are lining him up in the slot a la Sproles/Cadet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-ATXtlp0K4

So it's not like we haven't seen him catch at all in the NFL.

Last edited by a moderator:
He was by me LOL.

And if you're not at least testing the market, there's a decent chance you passed up one or more of those deals the past few days. Sure, Khiry could eventually sign somewhere else and offer similar return for a brief time, or he might end up getting involved in the passing game and be a poor man's Pierre Thomas, but give me the bird in hand here.

He looked good in the college video I watched and caught 11 passes for 9.4 YPR in the preseason.

Thomas didn't catch a pass until week 15 of his rookie season and may not have caught one at if it wasn't for injuries to Bush and McAllister.

What's kind of funny about this Foster and UDFA conversation is that the Saints actually offered Foster more money than the Texans back in the day when he came out as an UDFA - Foster went with the Texans because of opportunity supposedly for less money (or so the story goes, and yes that story cuts both ways because of that whole time sharing issue you're discussing...).

As for the UDFA - the Saints (I think) were something like among the top three or five teams for most UDFA's on their roster and were tied (I think) for the most rookie UDFA's on their roster. - Besides KR they had Glenn Foster, Lelito, Sweeting, Hill that I recall. This is on an 11 win team. - It's something they do more than most. The idea they would go dig him up and feature him is reasonable. And if IIRC I do believe Matt Waldman featured him in article coming out of college and made some pretty cool observations about his vision as a runner. I don't know how many guys from West Tx A&M Waldman has scouted.

[SIZE=12pt]Saints just signed FB Erik Lorig from TB. This guy is a hoss. Former FB Jed Collins ran, caught and blocked pretty well, he was a committed guy who kept trying with different teams until he found a fit for the Saints. One thing - I don't think his blocking was that great. This sure seems like a change in philosophy to me, Lorig has never carried the ball, not once, in the NFL. I'd guesstimate the Saints are planning to run the ball a whole lot more....[/SIZE]

Always pissed me off when Collins vultured TDs (7 in the last 3 yrs, including receiving) from all the highly drafted RB WR TE on my various fantasy rosters. Lorig won't be doing any of that.

[SIZE=12pt]Saints just signed FB Erik Lorig from TB. This guy is a hoss. Former FB Jed Collins ran, caught and blocked pretty well, he was a committed guy who kept trying with different teams until he found a fit for the Saints. One thing - I don't think his blocking was that great. This sure seems like a change in philosophy to me, Lorig has never carried the ball, not once, in the NFL. I'd guesstimate the Saints are planning to run the ball a whole lot more....[/SIZE]
The Saints want an offense that can go into Seattle, San Francisco, or Carolina and win. Shades of Mike Bell and 2009.

Always pissed me off when Collins vultured TDs (7 in the last 3 yrs, including receiving) from all the highly drafted RB WR TE on my various fantasy rosters. Lorig won't be doing any of that.
Wouldn't be so sure, he's actually a pretty good receiver.
Kind of curious about that. Collins played TE at Wazzu and as a FB was good for around 15 catches and the occasional score by air or rushing. He had bad drops though at a couple key moments last year. The Saints were willing to give him chances at the goal line and on 3rd and short, via the pass. What I recall though is his missing some key blocks.

Lorig was a Parade All-American TE coming out of HS and then played TE his freshman year at Stanford. I wonder what he's got left there. 7th round pick by TB from Stanford as a DE of all things, at 281 lbs., converted to FB now he's 250.

I still think we're seeing a sea change.

Wouldn't be so sure, he's actually a pretty good receiver.
Kind of curious about that. Collins played TE at Wazzu and as a FB was good for around 15 catches and the occasional score by air or rushing. He had bad drops though at a couple key moments last year. The Saints were willing to give him chances at the goal line and on 3rd and short, via the pass. What I recall though is his missing some key blocks.

Lorig was a Parade All-American TE coming out of HS and then played TE his freshman year at Stanford. I wonder what he's got left there. 7th round pick by TB from Stanford as a DE of all things, at 281 lbs., converted to FB now he's 250.

I still think we're seeing a sea change.
I doubt he's forgotten how to catch, and his receiving numbers are similar to Collins'.

I'm not saying they brought him in to be a major offensive cog by any stretch, just responding to the post about vulturing TDs. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he has similar numbers to Collins there.

So, more than two months later, how do we feel about Robinson? Saints didn't draft a RB.
I think the Saints backfield will be one to avoid this year. His future looks bright but it assumes Ingram leaves (likely IMO) and they don't draft a RB early next (less certain).

His play this year will determine whether he will be a big factor in 2015.

Ingram

Thomas

Cadet

Robinson

Too many able bodies to really sort it out right now.
Cadet played in 13 games last season and earned a grand total of 0 carries, I'd be pretty surprised if he carved out a meaningful role for himself.

Pierre Thomas got a lot of touches last year but I think it's pretty fair to say he did rather mediocre with them. 3.7 YPC and 6.7 YPR are both rather poor marks. A similar start to this year and I think his number of touches decreases and he gets cut at the end of the season.

Ingram or Khiry are the only guys worthy of taking a chance on imo. They both have the upside to put up good FF numbers and attain 240+ touches on the year imo. I like Ingram but personally I think Khiry is the guy to own; he's the more talented player imo.

So, more than two months later, how do we feel about Robinson? Saints didn't draft a RB.
I'll sell if someone wows me ('15 1st or similar prospect) but otherwise holding.

Dealt him pre-draft to an owner who had Pierre+Ingram for Bryce Brown+Da'Rick Rogers. Brown went up, Rogers went down, Khiry went up imo (owner now wants Bryce back, badly, ha).

Phenix said:
Ingram

Thomas

Cadet

Robinson

Cadet is a special team guy and may get some touches on 3rd down at best.

Khiry or Ingram are the guy to own.

Phenix said:
Ingram

Thomas

Cadet

Robinson

Cadet is a special team guy and may get some touches on 3rd down at best.

Khiry or Ingram are the guy to own.
more or less this. i don't think we have seen enough of Robinson to assess his effectiveness on 3rd down or catching the ball. i have to think that they'll let ingram walk and he can pursue a more lucrative contract. they can just re-load at the position. in either case, robinson would seem to have more value longer term.

ConnSKINS26 said:
Same as day one. Nice stash, but also a guy I'd personally be willing to sell as some folks seem to like him way more than I do. The key to his long term value IMO is his development as a receiver, as no Saints' RB is likely to get enough carries to be super FF relevant. For 2014, Thomas is clearly the guy to own in FF, particularly in PPR.

My opinion is that once a player makes a team and flashes some potential you can throw draft position out the window.
Unfortunately, so many people do not. :shrug:

ConnSKINS26 said:
Same as day one. Nice stash, but also a guy I'd personally be willing to sell as some folks seem to like him way more than I do. The key to his long term value IMO is his development as a receiver, as no Saints' RB is likely to get enough carries to be super FF relevant. For 2014, Thomas is clearly the guy to own in FF, particularly in PPR.
Khiry put up 38 receptions and an 11+ YPR in his senior season in college, those are both really high numbers for a college player, albeit from a lower level of football. Still, I think there's plenty of optimism for his upside in the passing game. I don't play in full 1point PPR leagues so I can't specify to that, but in .5PPR or 0PPR leagues Pierre Thomas is near valueless imo. At best he'll have a few random good games but he has next to no chance of being a consistent fantasy producer week to week like Ingram and Khiry have the potential to; I think you're much better off taking a chance on Ingram or Khiry and worrying about your bye week filler (i.e. a Pierre Thomas) when the time comes.

Pierre Thomas was a RB2 (23rd) even in standard scoring last year. He led all Saints' RBs in snaps, carries, receptions, YFS, and TDs, and the team just extended him with a contract that guarantees his entire salary in 2014.

Ingram and Robinson combined for 139 touches vs. Thomas' 224, but those are the guys that can be consistent weekly FF performers this year? In dynasty, sure, I'd take at least Ingram purely on age, and possibly Robinson depending on format snd team need, but I don't see it, at all, in redraft.

Pierre Thomas was a RB2 (23rd) even in standard scoring last year. He led all Saints' RBs in snaps, carries, receptions, YFS, and TDs, and the team just extended him with a contract that guarantees his entire salary in 2014.

Ingram and Robinson combined for 139 touches vs. Thomas' 224, but those are the guys that can be consistent weekly FF performers this year? In dynasty, sure, I'd take at least Ingram purely on age, and possibly Robinson depending on format snd team need, but I don't see it, at all, in redraft.
If you're starting the RB23 as anything more than a bye week filler you aren't going to win your league, no matter if it's a redraft or dynasty. I suppose it depends on starting lineups to a degree, but in most 2 start RB leagues you aren't winning your league with anything less than a RB1 and a high end RB2 at worst. At the start of the season I'd much rather fill my roster with players who have the potential to be an RB1 or high end RB2; Pierre Thomas is not one of those players, Ingram and Khiry are.

Darren Sproles had another 124 touches out of that backfield last season, and he's flown the coop. I suppose it's possible that Thomas takes Sproles' entire slice of the pie (which would give him a larger workload than Jamaal Charles, BTW), leaving Ingram and Robinson continuing to fight over scraps, but I'm not betting the mortgage on it.

I'm also not betting that either one of the latter are going to be consistent weekly FF performers this year - and neither is anyone else, which is why they're both going in the RB4 range right now (I got Robinson as RB43 in SSL3; Ingram went a few spots later). I like Robinson because in general when I get down to my RB4 I'm interested in ceiling, not floor. I don't want a goal-line back or a known role player; I want a guy who might be higher-risk but has the skillset to put up big numbers if he gets the opportunity. If he doesn't produce, well, that's what your RB1-3 are there for.

Users who are viewing this thread