What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty & Redraft: RB Terrance West, Ravens (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

Browns RB Terrance West suffered a calf injury in Saturday's practice.

It was a tough practice for Cleveland as they lost DL Billy Winn to what looked like a bad knee injury and fellow RB Duke Johnson to a tweaked hamstring. West said he was not worried about the injury, but he may miss a few days. West is competing with Isiah Crowell for the early-down work in the Browns' backfield.

Source: Mary Cay Cabot on Twitter

Rotoworld:

ESPN Cleveland "keep(s) hearing" Terrance West is on "thin ice because of maturity issues."

West's poor practice habits and inconsistent ball security led him into the coaches' doghouse repeatedly as a rookie. Then the team went out and spent a third-round pick on Duke Johnson while also talking up Isaiah Crowell. ESPN Cleveland added that West looks "chunky" early on in training camp.

Source: ESPN Cleveland
Aug 4 - 10:05 AM

Rotoworld:

Browns RB Terrance West (calf) returned to practice on Sunday.

He missed most of last week with a calf injury. With Shaun Draughn (wrist) and Duke Johnson (hamstring) both sidelined, West will have a chance to showcase himself for the starting running back job. West didn't show up to camp in the best shape and questions linger about his maturity. He'll need a strong showing this month to get out of coach Mike Pettine's doghouse.

Source: Mary Kay Cabot on Twitter

Aug 9 - 12:15 PM

Rotoworld:

ESPN Cleveland "keep(s) hearing" Terrance West is on "thin ice because of maturity issues."

West's poor practice habits and inconsistent ball security led him into the coaches' doghouse repeatedly as a rookie. Then the team went out and spent a third-round pick on Duke Johnson while also talking up Isaiah Crowell. ESPN Cleveland added that West looks "chunky" early on in training camp.

Source: ESPN Cleveland
Aug 4 - 10:05 AM
If he's cut, he'd find a job before the day is over

Rotoworld:

Terrance West - RB - Browns

Coach Mike Pettine said Terrance West's attitude has "taken a step" but there's still room for improvement.

Now in his second NFL season and second with Pettine, it's disturbing that West can't get his practice habits and demeanor right. He remains behind Isaiah Crowell and Duke Johnson. ESPN Cleveland has previously reported that West could be on "thin ice" and looked "chunky" at camp.

Source: Marc Sessler on Twitter

Aug 11 - 12:13 PM

Rotoworld:

Terrance West rushed 11 times for 42 yards in the Browns' second preseason game Thursday night.

He got the start over Isaiah Crowell with Duke Johnson (hamstring) still on the mend. West blew a blitz protection on Cleveland's opening drive and continued to look generally pedestrian on his touches. He remains in a dogfight for carries in the Browns' backfield. Crowell had just 14 yards on five carries tonight. Through two preseason contests, West has 52 yards on 15 runs (3.47 YPC). West has all the appearances of a JAG, second- or third-string talent.

Aug 20 - 10:03 PM

Rotoworld:

Terrance West rushed 11 times for 42 yards in the Browns' second preseason game Thursday night.

He got the start over Isaiah Crowell with Duke Johnson (hamstring) still on the mend. West blew a blitz protection on Cleveland's opening drive and continued to look generally pedestrian on his touches. He remains in a dogfight for carries in the Browns' backfield. Crowell had just 14 yards on five carries tonight. Through two preseason contests, West has 52 yards on 15 runs (3.47 YPC). West has all the appearances of a JAG, second- or third-string talent.

Ummm not a West fan, clearly writing that up. On those numbers presented, how do you get West is worse than Crowell? Oy....

West is setting up to be the perfect guy for BB to give a late pick for, have success in NE, and us fans to question how he pulls stuff off like that.

Rotoworld:

Isaiah Crowell managed 14 yards on five carries in the Browns' second preseason game Thursday night.Crowell played behind Terrance West in this one. Duke Johnson (hamstring) will be back for Cleveland's regular season dress rehearsal. Crowell busted a stiff-arming 13-yard run late in the second quarter, showing burst and power. Unfortunately, he managed one combined yard on his other four rushing attempts. Through two preseason contests, Crowell has just 20 yards on nine carries. With neither Crowell nor West running away with the job, the door is open for Johnson to take control of Cleveland's backfield once he gets up to speed physically.

Aug 20 - 10:12 PM
Rotoworld:

Terrance West rushed 11 times for 42 yards in the Browns' second preseason game Thursday night.He got the start over Isaiah Crowell with Duke Johnson (hamstring) still on the mend. West blew a blitz protection on Cleveland's opening drive and continued to look generally pedestrian on his touches. He remains in a dogfight for carries in the Browns' backfield. Crowell had just 14 yards on five carries tonight. Through two preseason contests, West has 52 yards on 15 runs (3.47 YPC). West has all the appearances of a JAG, second- or third-string talent.

Ummm not a West fan, clearly writing that up. On those numbers presented, how do you get West is worse than Crowell? Oy....West is setting up to be the perfect guy for BB to give a late pick for, have success in NE, and us fans to question how he pulls stuff off like that.
And look at what they write about Crowell who looked worse than West in this game. The bias is mind boggling.

Rotoworld:

Ummm not a West fan, clearly writing that up. On those numbers presented, how do you get West is worse than Crowell? Oy....West is setting up to be the perfect guy for BB to give a late pick for, have success in NE, and us fans to question how he pulls stuff off like that.
Someone here has too many shares of west

If he goes to Dallas that would be great for him as he could start there and it would be great for both Crowell and Duke as they become 1a and 1b starters for Cleveland.

What kind of team spends a 3rd round pick on a RB then trades that same player away after one season for a 7th round pick?

VandyMan said:
Geez, two years in the league and how many teams? Any chance this guy ends up overtaking Buck Allen?
I inquired this week and the reporter said he isn't up to speed on the O so he didn't expect it

Bojang0301 said:
VandyMan said:
Geez, two years in the league and how many teams? Any chance this guy ends up overtaking Buck Allen?
Don't sleep on Mostert. Not much is known about him. Tremendously raw, SPARQ freak.
I've heard some good things and he's on my radar. But iirc he got ZERO snaps after Forsett went down, right?

Bojang0301 said:
VandyMan said:
Don't sleep on Mostert. Not much is known about him. Tremendously raw, SPARQ freak.
I've heard some good things and he's on my radar. But iirc he got ZERO snaps after Forsett went down, right?
He was active but didn't receive a single offensive snap. Harbaugh did say Mostert could see more snaps moving forward, which makes sense since I don't think anyone believed Allen was going to completely monopolize the snaps/touches from here on out.

I liked what I saw from Mostert during preseason action so I think he's worth keeping an eye on. I'll be keeping closer tabs on him than West at least.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bojang0301 said:
VandyMan said:
He was active but didn't receive a single offensive snap. Harbaugh did say Mostert could see more snaps moving forward, which makes sense since I don't think anyone believed Allen was going to completely monopolize the snaps/touches from here on out.

I liked what I saw from Mostert during preseason action so I think he's worth keeping an eye on. I'll be keeping closer tabs on him than West at least.
Sorry. I meant no offensive snaps. Funny thing crossed my mind. Flacco finished the game. If they just didn't trust Mostert to protect their franchise QB then, well, that's not a problem anymore!

I agree it's bad he got no offensive snaps. I'm just saying if you have deep enough rosters to look at West then watch Mostert too. From what I can gather he has always primarily been a special teams guy. He was named "fastest in the Big 10" last year and has a sprinters background. I'm sure he's just learning the position and has only been with the Ravens for a little over a month. I'm curious and a bit excited to see what he could do if given shot. He could be Sproles/Lewis-esk or he could be another athlete that can't figure out the little things of the NFL. Unlike most guys that bounce around I think with him being so raw, landing on two active rosters after being cut in preseason is a good sign.

Rotoworld:

Terrance West rushed seven times for 37 yards in the Ravens' Week 12 win over the Browns on Monday night.

Making his Ravens debut after being promoted from the practice squad ahead of Week 11, West mixed in as the No. 2 back behind Buck Allen with Justin Forsett (arm) done for the season. Playing against the team that drafted him and dumped him earlier this year, West probably had a little more pep in his step. He broke off a long run of 16 yards and may have earned himself some more playing time down the stretch for a Baltimore team playing for nothing.

Dec 1 - 12:20 AM

Rotoworld:

Terrance West rushed seven times for 35 yards and caught 2-of-2 targets for 11 yards in the Ravens' Week 15 loss to Kansas City.

The Ravens benched Buck Allen for fumble-sixing early in the game, and West took over as Baltimore's feature back thereafter. We don't believe Allen took a single snap after the loose ball, which was Allen's second in as many weeks. West will have a chance to operate as the Ravens' lead back when they take on the Steelers in Week 16.

Dec 20 - 4:14 PM

Good for him.

Didn't get a fair shake in TEN, thought CLE cut was a bit much.

I'm very curious

Good for him.

I'm very curious
What a mess though. Buck, Zo, Forsett, and now West. Who is out next year? I bet they cut Forsett to save $$$.
I don't think Forsett is very expensive next year. If they cut him, it won't be for cap reasons.
Isn't he scheduled to make 3 mil? Way more than those other guys are making.

The Ravens have a projected ~5M in cap room for 2016. That's not a lot to resign players, & sign rookies and FA. The only players currently on their roster that could net them decent cap relief for 2016 without substantial dead money is Forsett. If Steve Smith does retire, that would save them 3M as well.

The Ravens have a projected ~5M in cap room for 2016. That's not a lot to resign players, & sign rookies and FA. The only players currently on their roster that could net them decent cap relief for 2016 without substantial dead money is Forsett. If Steve Smith does retire, that would save them 3M as well.
Is that factoring in the expected 10% increase in the cap?

Is that factoring in the expected 10% increase in the cap?
I'm not sure on that, I used overthecap.com which projects the cap at 150M in 2016.

ETA: A quick search on the net looks like that 150M is the correct expected cap number.

ROYALWITCHEESE said:
tangfoot said:
Good for him.

I'm very curious
What a mess though. Buck, Zo, Forsett, and now West. Who is out next year? I bet they cut Forsett to save $$$.
I don't think Forsett is very expensive next year. If they cut him, it won't be for cap reasons.
Isn't he scheduled to make 3 mil? Way more than those other guys are making.
The RBs are not the pricey part of the team. They could all stay, depends on Ozzie.

They have 67 mil active and 49 mil on injured reserve.

Cursory look at their cap, I see some older guys that always is possible.

I guess Suggs hangs it up when he wants but torn achilles at his age has me leery.

Their Oline is expensive

IMO their D should have very few "safe" players especially their secondary which is pricey.

Ozzie knows what he's doing. I wouldn't be concerned

The Baltimore Sun's Jeff Zrebiec said Terrance West is "leaner and more explosive" than in the past.
While the "best shape of his life" narrative is always eye-roll inducing, there are plenty of backs who have taken the next step simply by getting in shape. Reportedly down 15 pounds, West could be the next in that long line, but he faces a tough climb to relevance in a loaded backfield. On the bright side, West has worked ahead of Lorenzo Taliaferro all spring.

Source: Baltimore Sun 
Jun 20 - 11:34 AM

Kudos to him!
He's had consistent buzz everyday.  Silva is speculating (and now rotoworld blurb) and I agree that Forsett could be cut, in favor of West as lead back.   Not sure how the rest of the roster shakes out, but with all of the WR injuries they may need to carry more WRs and not have luxury of carrying 4 RBs.  If that's the case, I think West has definitely played himself on to the team and they aren't going to cut the young guys.

I think they like Buck Allen on passing downs and Dixon is a complete wildcard with the knee issues and not getting any reps.  I don't think the Ravens would view Dixon as someone they need to force out there because of draft capital invested.  I say that because I believe the Ravens (Harbaugh/Newsome) do not play politics and would truly want the best player on the field, I know many teams pay that lip service but few actually subscribe to it.   Looking back to 2014, it was Bernard Pierce who was the young RB who they acuired in the 3rd round of 2012 draft after moving up to get him.  Most believed he was the next man up, but was outplayed by Forsett and then subsequently benched.    This situation feels very similar to me.

I think that Terrance West is this year's Dion Lewis, the guy in a muddled backfield with a history of not living up to talent who breaks through and becomes a must start for owners.  I'm all in!

tone1oc said:
He's had consistent buzz everyday.  Silva is speculating (and now rotoworld blurb) and I agree that Forsett could be cut, in favor of West as lead back.   Not sure how the rest of the roster shakes out, but with all of the WR injuries they may need to carry more WRs and not have luxury of carrying 4 RBs.  If that's the case, I think West has definitely played himself on to the team and they aren't going to cut the young guys.

I think they like Buck Allen on passing downs and Dixon is a complete wildcard with the knee issues and not getting any reps.  I don't think the Ravens would view Dixon as someone they need to force out there because of draft capital invested.  I say that because I believe the Ravens (Harbaugh/Newsome) do not play politics and would truly want the best player on the field, I know many teams pay that lip service but few actually subscribe to it.   Looking back to 2014, it was Bernard Pierce who was the young RB who they acuired in the 3rd round of 2012 draft after moving up to get him.  Most believed he was the next man up, but was outplayed by Forsett and then subsequently benched.    This situation feels very similar to me.

I think that Terrance West is this year's Dion Lewis, the guy in a muddled backfield with a history of not living up to talent who breaks through and becomes a must start for owners.  I'm all in!
I doubt that. Evan used to be a regular here. I never follow his cause and reaction thoughts....never. He's excellent with researching stats and all, but whenever I think things through (as he did, reading the article) I disagree.

You wrote of four RBs. That's fairly normal for an NFL team, without any cuts. Forsett caught 44 balls two years ago, 31 last year in 10 games. He's got hands to be the guy that comes in on third and the quality backup.

Most teams use two backs as the lead back during a season. Deangelo and Leveon. Cincy, Chargers, and the Browns use two all the time. 
Cowboys added Alfred Morris as their feature back and then he became a backup on draft day. Titans added two.

Injuries, the rest of a play off, maybe a different style to em'....myriad of reasons to have two backs that are very good.

West was mouthy in Cleveland. They had good backs and didn't "straighten him out" like you'd probably expect would happen to a team's leading rusher. In Tennessee, I was thrown by his lack of use. Whisenhunt was horrible at developing young talent. IIRC He had a fumble, maybe a second, and was done. Tennessee was a different planet the last two years. The RB was not assured holes or any blocking whatsoever. Antonio Andrews has some beast to him and could take on defenders. He got hurt at the end of camp and once he returned from injury he took over. West looked fine, but like he was overwhelmed by the poor blocking. He should have been.

I would not have kept Cobb. He stunk in OTAs, didn't study in minicamp, looked good in a single game in preseason against third stringers and very ordinary against the ones, then he got hurt. When he was healthy, late, he did not play right away and step right in. In fact he got like a carry or two a game. They were so fortunate to get Cleveland's lead back. Nothing in here says "keep Cobb" other than their GM worried of losing his job. Cobb got in more and looked foolish a couple times. He  whiffed on blocks and on two screen passes, he was behind Mariota where he couldn't see him. Andrews missed a key block and Mariota got hurt. Despite being the best blocker all year(or that it was a stupid play to have the RB take on the DL by himself) this was held against him and he barely played the last bit there. Mularkey showed some faith and kudos, Cobb did well in week 17. I was pleasantly surprised. Still though, when West was there, they had "no business" keeping Cobb over him. Same could be said for Sankey.

West has some spunk to him when he hits the OL. He's a different sort of back. You can tell he's prideful. He'll get zero yards or negative one, then has this fight to him that gets him six or seven yards. I'd like to see what he can without every yard having to be earned- with some good blockers for a change. I think he's only got one fight move to him every run. If he has to bust thru a line with no holes, he's not taking off. I'm not sure if I've seen him have a run over 20 yards. Over at PFR he had four runs over 20 yards with the Browns, none in year two. His longest run was 17 yards in year two. The Browns line two years ago wasn't horrible but they couldn't pass well.

West hasn't averaged 4+ypc yet. I'm totally willing to blame that on the lines or teams he's played for, but next year that'll be used against him if it doesn't change.

Terrance West rushed nine times for 25 yards and two touchdowns in the Ravens' preseason opener against the Panthers.
Justin Forsett got the night off, and Buck Allen received the start, handling the opening series. West was next man up and came on with the Ryan Mallett group. West took a pair of handoffs from the one-yard line early in the second quarter, getting stuffed on the first before converting the second for a score. He later scored again from two yards out in the third quarter, suggesting goal-line work could be his calling. West has been a training camp standout and carried it over to game action. As long as he keeps it up, West has a real chance at pushing Forsett and Allen for early-down carries.

Aug 11 - 10:33 PM

Users who are viewing this thread