What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty & Redraft: RB Terrance West, Ravens (1 Viewer)

I dropped West for Ware a week ago...have a tight roster but hate dropping value.  I still tend to think this is going to be a crowded backfield especially when Dixon returns.  Should be interesting to watch

redraft and dynasty the only person I'm interested in is Dixon.  Other than that I think West is the DFS play for maybe 2 weeks until they re-sign Forsett in which case everyone will be useless until 2017 when it MIGHT become clear.

I'm sorry but you don't cut the dude who led your team in rushing for two years straight just to re-sign him and give him a relevant role again. I understand that this is a business but you have to imagine this sends a very clear message as to how they value their RBs. It's not like Forsett is some stud either, he was a journyman up until he landed in BAL two years ago. At 30, coming off an injury and given his track record/declining production it doesn't surprise me that BAL is valuing him as they are. I think they are fine using Allen in a receiving role and waiting on Dixon, who is arguably the best pass catching back of his class to fully take over that role and likely more when healthy.

What is clear to me is that West is currently their best option. I'm judging this by what we've heard from the coaches and what we've seen during the preseason. He looks hungry and BAL is looking to feed him.

Again, if West is sitting on your ww and you have an expendable player in your last bench spot it makes sense to pick him up for depth. Starting RBs are always valuable commodities in fantasy. It wouldn't be a shock of West has a nice year. 

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Forsett is resigned at a lower price and starts.  No matter who 'starts' this has all the earmarks of being a very ugly RBBC situation all year and gets even uglier once Dixon comes back.  Unless you have extra roster space no Baltimore RB is worth having at this point in time.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Forsett is resigned at a lower price and starts.  No matter who 'starts' this has all the earmarks of being a very ugly RBBC situation all year and gets even uglier once Dixon comes back.  Unless you have extra roster space no Baltimore RB is worth having at this point in time.
If Forsett re-signs he won't be the starter. He sucks and he got outplayed by West in the preseason. He would be a 3rd or 4th RB at a discounted price.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Forsett is resigned at a lower price and starts. No matter who 'starts' this has all the earmarks of being a very ugly RBBC situation all year and gets even uglier once Dixon comes back. Unless you have extra roster space no Baltimore RB is worth having at this point in time.
There are like 9 RBs who aren't apart of a full blown RBBC in the NFL right now. There are plenty of RBs rostered in fantasy who are likely going to see very similar work as West (Hill, Crowell, Blount, Ivory and etc.).

I'd argue that the unknowns aren't even a negative as there's a non-zero chance West runs away with the lead job. I'm very confused as to how he could be considered unrosterable. I suppose 10-team PPR I could see it, but in 12-team leagues he needs to be rostered regardless of the format. 

There are like 9 RBs who aren't apart of a full blown RBBC in the NFL right now. There are plenty of RBs rostered in fantasy who are likely going to see very similar work as West (Hill, Crowell, Blount, Ivory and etc.).

I'd argue that the unknowns aren't even a negative as there's a non-zero chance West runs away with the lead job. I'm very confused as to how he could be considered unrosterable. I suppose 10-team PPR I could see it, but in 12-team leagues he needs to be rostered regardless of the format. 
One false pretense I always hear on this forum is how people assume a RBBC or an unclear backfield situation doesn't possess fantasy value. While the backfields in BAL, NE, and WAS may be murky now, one or two of the RBs on those teams will put up good fantasy numbers with the probiblility of one of those RB's to run away with a lead job and have a great year.

If West is a FA in your league and doesn't get scooped up, he's going to cost a #1 waiver or an overpay of FAAB to get him if he rushes for 100 yards and a TD in week one. I would much rather roster a guy like West on my bench than a scrub WR or backup TE that likely won't get picked up. 

I wouldn't want to rely on starting West in week one but when you starting getting RB injuries and bye weeks you'll wish you had him on your team.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry but you don't cut the dude who led your team in rushing for two years straight just to re-sign him and give him a relevant role again. I understand that this is a business but you have to imagine this sends a very clear message as to how they value their RBs. It's not like Forsett is some stud either, he was a journyman up until he landed in BAL two years ago. At 30, coming off an injury and given his track record/declining production it doesn't surprise me that BAL is valuing him as they are. I think they are fine using Allen in a receiving role and waiting on Dixon, who is arguably the best pass catching back of his class to fully take over that role and likely more when healthy.

What is clear to me is that West is currently their best option. I'm judging this by what we've heard from the coaches and what we've seen during the preseason. He looks hungry and BAL is looking to feed him.
It was a non-remarkable broken arm.  This isn't a Leveon Bell or Jamaal Charles situation. He was fine in 6-8  weeks when the fracture healed.

Seems more they gambled on two things when cutting him: that no other team would go gangbusters to sign him and that Forsett really wanted to be in Baltimore.  Once he resigns he's going to play. They're all going to play.

With all the players you named they are only splitting time with one other player.  With West, he will be splitting time with Allen for sure, Forsett if resigned and Dixon when he gets healthy.  The number of touches any of them will receive makes them nothing but pure desperation plays season long. I'd rather go with any of the committee guys you listed or even for someone like Rob Kelley over West or any of the Baltimore guys at this point in time. If you add in a dynasty factor Dixon might be worth grabbing but you could probably wait a couple of weeks before grabbing him.

Interesting how some of you guys are talking with such certainty on how this backfield is going to play out. Forsett looked bad last year even before his injury. No one knows for sure what is going to happen, but west is worth a flyer to see how it plays out.

Signed,

Everyone who owns Terrance West
I developed my bias and then drafted him.

With all the players you named they are only splitting time with one other player. With West, he will be splitting time with Allen for sure, Forsett if resigned and Dixon when he gets healthy. The number of touches any of them will receive makes them nothing but pure desperation plays season long. I'd rather go with any of the committee guys you listed or even for someone like Rob Kelley over West or any of the Baltimore guys at this point in time. If you add in a dynasty factor Dixon might be worth grabbing but you could probably wait a couple of weeks before grabbing him.
Of course you'd rather go with the committee guys I listed, so would the collective hence their substantially higher ADPs. Kelley is interesting (and I believe worth rostering as well) but also has to compete with more than one guy season long (Chris Thompson will still see work on passing downs).

I'n just working with the info available. The season starts in less than a week and BAL has two healthy RBs on their roster, one of whom has been performing above expectations. Right now the Bills are preparing for a heavy dose of West, people are eyeing him down in DFS as possible value and etc. He's fantasy relevant.

Opportunity supersedes all else in fantasy and I believe West is about to get his. What he does with it in the long-term  :shrug:  but I think it's worth the gamble. Granted, I grabbed West in a 20 round draft (17th round) so I do understand how this may change when applied to 15 rounds/shorter benches but even then I still think he's worth a grab with one of your last picks.

I'm not crowning him I just think he's very rosterable haha.

Very uneducated on this topic:

What's the timeframe for other teams to scoop Forsett up, here?  Or he was actually cut, I guess, so landing spot is dependent on offers from other teams vs whatever BAL comes back with?  Similarly, if this was a cap space move and not indicative of his roster depth spot, couldn't they have just restructured his contract rather than risk losing him elsewhere?

ETA - sorry, I know that's mostly Forsett centric, but (for me) think those answers might shed a little light on where West stands vs the others

I think the thing that stands out most to me about West during preseason action is the fact that he's not dancing around in the backfield or trying to bounce anything outside that he shouldn't. He doesn't look like the guy I lovingly refereed to as Terrance "East to" West during his tenure in CLE.

Granted, he's had some large holes to work with and it is preseason but he looks more able and willing to grind out yards between the tackles. 

I don't know, maybe it's just the uniform but he looks a bit different to me.  :shrug:
Well the whole Browns' franchise looked a lot better in those ugly Baltimore uniforms.

That was short lived.
What was short-lived? I was under the impression West was basically the assumed #1 with Allen 3rd down and Dixon a month out with injury. Maybe I just don't get how this type of "cut and then re-sign" situation works but does the Forsett re-signing change this situation immediately in your estimation? Or just guessing this relegates West back down the depth chart?

In a FootballGuys draft (PPR, 12 teams) over the weekend, I saw someone select West in the middle of the seventh round.

In an FFWC Main Event draft yesterday, I took West at 11.04. Hoping I didn't overpay.

In a FootballGuys draft (PPR, 12 teams) over the weekend, I saw someone select West in the middle of the seventh round.

In an FFWC Main Event draft yesterday, I took West at 11.04. Hoping I didn't overpay.
I cut him the morning that Forsett was cut later in the day, to pick up Prescott. Immediately felt terrible about it obviously, but now with the Forsett re-signing, I don't even know if he's worth picking back up again. Confused by this situation totally.

What was short-lived? I was under the impression West was basically the assumed #1 with Allen 3rd down and Dixon a month out with injury. Maybe I just don't get how this type of "cut and then re-sign" situation works but does the Forsett re-signing change this situation immediately in your estimation? Or just guessing this relegates West back down the depth chart?
It's enough to make me not want to bother with West. Too much competition short term and long term for me. 

It's enough to make me not want to bother with West. Too much competition short term and long term for me. 
I was going to drop Ajayi to try and pick him up again, but maybe neither of them are particularly worth much, Ajayi has been junk pre-season. I figure West is still rosterable, depending on roster sizes etc but the situation is murky at best now so I get your perspective.

Meh, I picked up West for nothing and cut my last garbage pick. I'll keep him on my bench a few weeks and see what happens. I think someone will emerge as the #1 eventually.

Forsett hurts Allen much more than he does West IMO. I believe that they're still going to give West the majority of the early down work.

Forsett hurts Allen much more than he does West IMO. I believe that they're still going to give West the majority of the early down work.
+1

Lots of uncertainty, but if I had to guess for $$ I'd say most likely is West in the 2 down/GL roles, and Forsett as the passing down guy until Dixon gets back.

bulger2holt said:
I'm staying clear from this boondoggle 
Murky situations present the best value propositions.  

It limits both to some degree, but I'm confident that West will get plenty of work.  I can't believe that Forsett was cut loose with plans of featuring him Week 1.  Maybe I'm wrong, we'll see on Sunday.  The people invested in Forsett will contend nothing has changed at all because the teams website lists him at #1.  It does add risk for anyone in a situation where you were thinking about starting him.  I think there will be a lot of clarity after week 1, and until then I'm staying the course of him as a sleeper on my bench.  

RBBC committee composed of ultimately 4 players is one to avoid.  Yea, you might get a few good games out of owning any of the Baltimore RB's but it will be random luck which week one of them goes off.

I ended up swapping him in for Arian Foster last minute yesterday  :bag:

I didn't catch much of the BAL game, any insight into this performance?  Same old dancing? 

Dixon has gotta be licking his chops.

I ended up swapping him in for Arian Foster last minute yesterday :bag:

I didn't catch much of the BAL game, any insight into this performance? Same old dancing?

I watched his touches, he wasn't dancing. He was still running north/south like he was in the preseason.

I'm sure he'll have a couple a good games on the back of TDs but his usage isn't where you want it to be from a fantasy perspective. I dropped him to play the handcuff lottery.

I ended up swapping him in for Arian Foster last minute yesterday  :bag:

I didn't catch much of the BAL game, any insight into this performance?  Same old dancing? 

Buffalo is a tougher match-up than the Bears. I didn't catch the game but his stat line, as I recall, was good early. 

ESPN Ravens reporter Jamison Hensley said it "wouldn't be surprising" if Terrance West took over as the starter this week.
Coach John Harbaugh talked about making changes in the backfield, and swapping out Justin Forsett for West is the most logical option. Forsett has just 98 yards on 31 carries this season with zero touchdowns. West is not lighting up the scoreboard either (33-for-119), but he has looked like a much better runner. Rookie Kenneth Dixon (knee) should also get a shot once he returns from injury.

Source: ESPN 
Oct 1 - 9:52 AM

Probably going to be a short-lived starting position since Dixon is coming back next week.  It's not like he's been tearing it up - he's only marginally better than Forsett at this point.

Probably going to be a short-lived starting position since Dixon is coming back next week.  It's not like he's been tearing it up - he's only marginally better than Forsett at this point.
But if he had a good game (100 and a TD) he can run with it

I've seen what West can do in past seasons. Dixon has a much higher ceiling in PPR. West is a stop gap measure while Dixon could get to RB1 status with his skills. Depending on your bye week needs, I would look at West as having immediate value but his value will degrade over time while the opposite is true for Dixon. The fact that they are clearing a path for Dixon by already moving Forsett out of the picture is telling. Buck Allen is another stop gap.

Most are criminally underrating West and overrating Dixon at this point. Dynasty, sure I get it, now and for the rest of the season? I want West on my roster. 

West is begging for more respect than this. He was great this summer so its not that surprising. 

Users who are viewing this thread