What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[DYNASTY] Golden Tate (1 Viewer)

I don't see much value in fantasy. This will likely be his career year. He is a good complement in football and has real football value, but he has little fantasy value. With Harvin out he had a real opportunity and he failed to establish himself as an elite fantasy player.
Yeah, he's not a #1 receiver. But he'd be a decent #2 if a team needed one.

I don't see much value in fantasy. This will likely be his career year. He is a good complement in football and has real football value, but he has little fantasy value. With Harvin out he had a real opportunity and he failed to establish himself as an elite fantasy player.
Barely had any targets.

I don't think he's the next Steve Smith or anything, but why couldn't he put up WR2-WR3 numbers on the Colts or Saints?

Good point. On a pass-first, pass-second, pass-third team where he was perfectly cast as a #2 WR opposite a HOFer he just couldn't get it done.

What chance would he have if he went to a terrible situation like Detroit?

Last edited by a moderator:
Barely had any targets.

I don't think he's the next Steve Smith or anything, but why couldn't he put up WR2-WR3 numbers on the Colts or Saints?
:goodposting:

Kind of hard to put up great volume stats on a team that only throws 420 passes all year. No one is thinking he's elite, but getting WR2 or WR3 production at WR4 (or lower -- I grabbed him free off of the wire over the years in a few leagues) prices is still a + EV move.

I traded Tate and the 1.15 to move up to 1.9. He finished as WR 22 (if you count week 17) in our league which gives a tiny bit for return yards. Offer was accepted shortly before the SB.

Rotoworld:

Free agent Golden Tate told Sports Radio 950 KJR in Seattle that he's "very willing" to take a hometown discount with the Seahawks.

"I probably shouldn’t even say this right now but I’m going to say it anyway just because I love Seattle, honestly," said Tate. "I would rather take a little less to be happy and win ballgames than to take way more and go to a crappy city where the fans don’t give a crap about the team." Tate would need to take a hometown discount for the Seahawks to afford him. Just how much of a discount he's willing to take will determine whether he stays put.

Source: Sports Radio 950 KJR

Rotoworld:

Free agent Golden Tate told Sports Radio 950 KJR in Seattle that he's "very willing" to take a hometown discount with the Seahawks.

"I probably shouldn’t even say this right now but I’m going to say it anyway just because I love Seattle, honestly," said Tate. "I would rather take a little less to be happy and win ballgames than to take way more and go to a crappy city where the fans don’t give a crap about the team." Tate would need to take a hometown discount for the Seahawks to afford him. Just how much of a discount he's willing to take will determine whether he stays put.

Source: Sports Radio 950 KJR
So he'd be willing to move a team with a great fanbase that is a playoff contender? There are quite a few teams that fit this bill. In fact, outside of DEN (who may be losing Decker), I don't see any playoff team that I would consider set at WR at this point.

I was surprised when I looked at his numbers and saw that he had 64 grabs. He finished WR19 in Zealots non PPR scoring. Not sure how much more he can put up than he did in 2013 in Seattle, especially if Harvin is healthy I'd expect his numbers to dip some.

On many teams in the NFL i can definately see him putting up WR 2 numbers.

Rotoworld:

Seahawks GM John Schneider calls re-signing free agent Golden Tate a "big priority."
"Golden knows where we stand how much we love and how much we want him on this team," Schneider said. His comments come two weeks after Tate said he'd be "very willing" to take a hometown discount with the team that made him the No. 60 overall pick of the 2010 draft. Tate is Rotoworld's No. 5 free-agent receiver. He's not someone the Seahawks should break the bank to keep, but they'd have serious depth issues at wideout if he walks.

Source: ESPN.com

Rotoworld:

Free agent Golden Tate hopes to have a contract offer from the Seahawks ahead of March 11.
Tate has expressed a strong desire to re-sign with the Seahawks and even said he'd be "very willing" to take a bit of a hometown discount to return. GM John Schneider said at the Combine that re-signing Tate is a "big priority." With Sidney Rice expected to be released, losing Tate would be a hit to Seattle's receiver depth chart. He could command $5-7 million annually on a new deal.

Source: Seattle Times

Now that he has his ring I'd like to see him sign with a team that likes to throw. I think he is capable of big numbers in the right offense. Good route runner, can catch with the best of them, breaks tackles better than most and has good speed. If he wants another shot at a ring, then stay. If he wants to reach his potential and show the NFL what he has, then leave to a team committed to the pass.

Rotoworld:

Free agent Golden Tate said he hasn't heard too much from the Seahawks.
The Seahawks top priority is re-signing DE Michael Bennett, so Tate is going to have to wait in line. But if he walks, they'll be left with Percy Harvin, Doug Baldwin and Jermaine Kearse as their top-three wideouts. Tate has been adamant about his desire to stay in Seattle, even saying he'd be "very willing" to take a hometown discount. He'd be insane to take anything less than the five-year, $25 million deal Riley Cooper squeezed out of the Eagles.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com

I think the Redskins should try to scoop him up. Could really help the return and passing game. He could get a shot as a wr2, although I expect he would end up as the wr3 in DC.

I think Golden Tate is under-rated, both in NFL and in FF terms. He hasn't truly broken out yet, but IMO that's more about the offense he's played in than Tate himself. His efficiency metrics per target have been much better than his bulk volume numbers -- if he lands in a situation where his volume can see a nice bump, he could potentially really out-perform his current ranking. He's way cheaper than he should be, because he doesn't really carry that high end WR1 upside we all drool over. But there's plenty of short and long term value in a young high end WR2 also, and on a pass focused team he could be that possibly. DLF has him going as WR67 in their current mocks, and that's ridiculous -- he's a 25 year old UFA who has been WR 30 and WR40 the past two years on 83 targets / year. In a worst case scenario he gives you years of WR3 / WR4 production which I'll take all day at WR6 prices.

Rotoworld:

USA Today's Tom Pelissero reports the Seahawks may still re-sign free agent Golden Tate.
The sides have had mutual interest in a new deal all offseason, but made little progress in talks. With the Seahawks getting close to re-signing DE Michael Bennett, however, they appear ready to turn their attention to Tate. Tate has said he'd be "very willing" to accept a hometown discount, but with free agency now only a day away, that claim will be put to the test.

Source: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Rotoworld:

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport is "hearing" the Lions have interest in free agent Golden Tate.
Tate's market has been surprisingly quiet, just like the rest of the offensive skill-position free agents. We'd expect things to start heating up once the free agency gates open at 4 PM ET. The Lions are in need of a No. 2 receiver and have already dropped out of the James Jones running. Tate is far superior to Jones.

Related: Lions

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Free agent Golden Tate will visit the Lions Tuesday night.
The Lions haven't been shy about exposing their interest in getting Calvin Johnson some help. Tate is a very interesting name because he has plus athleticism, can win at the catch point and helps in the return game. He'd be a major fantasy asset against the single coverage he'd see in Detroit.

Related: Lions

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

On NFL network they said he told Seattle that he found a team that would pay him 7mil per. I pray that's not the Lions.

On NFL network they said he told Seattle that he found a team that would pay him 7mil per. I pray that's not the Lions.
I prefer James Jones, or Sanders for around 4 million per
Tate is twice the player that Sanders or Jones is. Granted, he'll cost way more. As a Steelers' homer, trust me, you want no part of Emmanuel Sanders -- he plays softer than one ply TP.
I actually dislike the Lions but if what I read is correct and thy only have 10 million in cap space they should go with the cheaper option

Would Tate jump up to a wr 2 or wr 3 in fantasy potential in Detroit ?
I would say 3. I still expect Detroit to draft a receiver and Fauria could improve. Bell and Bush are also good receivers out of the backfield.
A rookie won't play over Tate unless they draft him in the first round hell take a year to learn the system
He might not play over Tate but he may take looks away from Tate if he shows anything

If Tate signs in Detroit I would expect numbers around the area of 750-900 yds give or take, maybe 5-7TD, he'll have 2-3 games where he racks up 100/TD, many weeks of 4/45, similar to what he produced in Seattle. He is not going to be the 1st or 2nd option IMHO. I like the guy but there is a big mouth to feed ahead of him and then other RBs, TEs, other secondary type WRs, perhaps a rookie.

Is anyone going to try and sell us a ceiling of 1,000/10TD? I don't see that happening. I was hoping Tate might find his way to NE where they could really use him.

They sign Tate for 7 mil. you can bet your ### they won't be taking an early roud rookie to play wr. Therefore a rookie WR would not be a threat .

Considering he had 64-898-5 on a team that threw the ball 420 times I like his odds of improving on that total if he's on a team chucking it 600+ times and paying him ~$7m/year. Especially opposite Calvin and with no other TEs or WRs of any note.

If Tate signs in Detroit I would expect numbers around the area of 750-900 yds give or take, maybe 5-7TD, he'll have 2-3 games where he racks up 100/TD, many weeks of 4/45, similar to what he produced in Seattle. He is not going to be the 1st or 2nd option IMHO. I like the guy but there is a big mouth to feed ahead of him and then other RBs, TEs, other secondary type WRs, perhaps a rookie.

Is anyone going to try and sell us a ceiling of 1,000/10TD? I don't see that happening. I was hoping Tate might find his way to NE where they could really use him.
So, in your hypothetical, he moves from an offense that has averaged 413 pass attempts the past two years to one that has averaged 687, and sees no bump in his production? The Lions are going to give him $7 million / year and then throw the ball to Joseph Fauria, Kris Durham, and Joique Bell? Uhhh... no.

He's easily a 1000 yard receiver in Detroit.

They sign Tate for 7 mil. you can bet your ### they won't be taking an early roud rookie to play wr. Therefore a rookie WR would not be a threat .
I'd rather have the rookie. Det can't afford 7 mil on a WR. Far too many needs. Add DE to the list when Young signs elsewhere .

So, in your hypothetical, he moves from an offense that has averaged 413 pass attempts the past two years to one that has averaged 687, and sees no bump in his production? The Lions are going to give him $7 million / year and then throw the ball to Joseph Fauria, Kris Durham, and Joique Bell? Uhhh... no.

He's easily a 1000 yard receiver in Detroit.
His price has nothing to do with it. I believe when Burelson first signed he was getting 5 million a year. He never approached those numbers, even when healthy

Good talent, but will be interesting to see if this offense is nearly as appealing with the new staff. Unfortunately there's a chance they aren't throwing 630+ times a year anymore.

I liked Tate back when he was drafted and still like him. I see a 70/ 1000 with 6-8 TDs season coming if he lands in Detroit.

msudaisy26 said:
The Fantasy Chef said:
That

Mingooch said:
I liked Tate back when he was drafted and still like him. I see a 70/ 1000 with 6-8 TDs season coming if he lands in Detroit.
That's wr 2 numbers isn't it?
It is but in 2011 no other receiver other than Calvin Johnson had over 800 yards or 6 touchdowns. Stafford threw for 5000 yards that year and 41 touchdowns.
Well, yeah, because they all sucked. Or were average at best. Golden Tate is pretty good, particularly now that he'll be drawing single coverage against #2 corners.

Great landing spot for him. I'm sad (as a Seahawks fan) to see him go but $6M for a WR on a run-first-and-second offense doesn't make sense. Plus now they'll make a big stink off "that catch" twice a year and we don't have to be involved.

msudaisy26 said:
The Fantasy Chef said:
That

Mingooch said:
That's wr 2 numbers isn't it?
It is but in 2011 no other receiver other than Calvin Johnson had over 800 yards or 6 touchdowns. Stafford threw for 5000 yards that year and 41 touchdowns.
Well, yeah, because they all sucked. Or were average at best. Golden Tate is pretty good, particularly now that he'll be drawing single coverage against #2 corners.
Granted Burelson was older when he came to Detroit but I don't see Tate as being that much more talented if you compare them at 25. I could be wrong but I think Tate will do about what he did last year 800 to 900 yards and 5 to 7 touchdowns.

Burleson was a good possession WR. Tate is more explosive. I think he could have 1000 yards and 5-7 TDs there pretty easily.

Users who are viewing this thread