What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[DYNASTY] Golden Tate (2 Viewers)

Ugh... was hoping he would go to the Patriots.  Looks like we've found our 3rd best WR in the div.

How Golden Tate, Jabrill Peppers and the new Giants fit

Excerpt:

Golden Tate, wide receiver (four years, $37.5M with $23M guaranteed)

No player has more yards after the catch since 2014. That includes Beckham, who has played in 20 fewer games. That is the beauty of Tate. He has missed one game over the past eight seasons because of injury and has what one scout called "some understated p---k to him on the field." That's what makes Tate special. He doesn't have great size or speed but consistently makes plays after the catch. "Strong to the ball. Breaks tackles and creates after the catch in the short game," the scout added. "Turns into a running back with the ball in his hands." This should work well in coach Pat Shurmur's offense, which runs a lot of crossing routes and provides plenty of opportunity to make plays after the catch.

One problem could be that there is a little bit of redundancy with Tate playing alongside Sterling Shepard. "He's a solid slot," an executive said of Tate. Shepard (149) and Tate (144) are third and fourth in catches out of the slot since Shepard entered the league in 2016. Both can play outside but seem to be best out of the slot. Tate will turn 31 in August and is coming off a season in which his production dipped greatly. A third executive thought it was more scheme and role change going from Detroit to Philadelphia midseason than it was his age. The belief among all three executives is that Tate has some good years left in him.

Who stood out at Giants OTA practice? (5/23)

Excerpt:

WR GOLDEN TATE: Since he came into the league in 2010, the 5-foot-10, 197-pound receiver leads the NFL with 4,048 yards after the catch (Antonio Brown is second with 3,990). Eli Manning is looking to add to that total in the veteran receiver’s first season with the team. The two found a groove on Thursday, getting things started when Tate called for the fastball down the middle in a blitz period and Manning delivered a perfect strike in a tight window. Tate isn’t all about the catch-and-run, though. He can still make the tough ones, which was on display today and this past January when he caught the game-winning touchdown with 56 seconds left in Philadelphia’s playoff victory over Chicago.

Rotoworld take:

Golden Tate claims his four-game suspension for violating the PEDs policy stems from fertility treatment he was prescribed in April.

Tate states just days later he noticed the prescription "contained an ingredient" on the banned substance list, so he discontinued using it and informed an independent administrator, his coaches, and GM Dave Gettleman. Adam Schefter reported Tate's appeal will take place in early August, so the Giants will know his status for the first four games of the season well before Week 1. He’s not likely to win.

SOURCE: Golden Tate on Twitter

Jul 27, 2019, 11:44 AM ET

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_suspensions_in_the_National_Football_League

I'm PRETTY sure I remember a overturned PED suspension from awhile back after the player found out he took a substance on the list and voluntarily reported it to NFL officials before a bad test turned up. I'm looking at the list for PEDs but unfortunately I can't find it.
Walker & a couple others when they revised the PED policy right before the 2014 season.

Read a tweet (sorry don’t remember who) that claimed fertility drugs are sometimes used as a masking agent for other PEDs.

:shrug:

I see this suspension being reduced or dismissed completely.  The NFL does not usually punish players harshly when they are upfront, honest and forthright and the incident is without intent.  This, IMO, falls under that category.

An NFL source tells SNY there is "almost no way" Golden Tate wins the appeal of his four-game suspension.

Sources tell reporter Ralph Vacchiano the "best Tate could hope for" is getting his ban reduced from four games to three, and that even that is a long shot. Tate has a compelling story of accidentally taking a banned fertility substance then self reporting the violation, but it doesn't matter in the NFL's eyes.

SOURCE: SNY

Jul 30, 2019, 2:43 PM ET

smells like BS.  these guys make millions of dollars and are surrounded by doctors and nutritionists.  if someone tells them to take cold medicine, they are instructed to have it analyzed.

Golden Tate lost the appeal of his four-game suspension.

This was widely expected despite Tate self-reporting the violation to the NFL after taking a banned fertility substance. The Giants will need a healthy Sterling Shepard (thumb) and Evan Engram to shoulder the load alongside Saquon Barkley.

SOURCE: Giants on Twitter

Aug 13, 2019, 3:34 PM ET

Golden Tate is in the concussion protocol.

He's going to miss this week's dress rehearsal. Tate is suspended the first four games, so he has plenty of time to recover. The Giants would be smart not to rush him back.

SOURCE: ProFootballTalk on NBCSports

Aug 19, 2019, 10:05 AM ET

Golden Tate (concussion) practiced with the Giants' first-team offense on Monday.

Tate also shed his non-contact jersey, suggesting he's cleared the concussion protocol. The veteran slot receiver seems to have put this injury behind him, though he'll still begin the year serving a four-game PED suspension. Sterling Shepard, Bennie Fowler and Cody Latimer will operate as the Giants' top receivers in his wake, though tight end Evan Engram should also be heavily involved.

SOURCE: Dan Duggan on Twitter

Aug 26, 2019, 11:57 AM ET

IMO Tate seems pretty undervalued right now. Over the past 5 years, he has averaged 13.9 ppg in PPR, and that includes the games last season after he was traded into an unfamiliar offense. Sure, he will miss 4 games, but 13.9 ppg would have been the 27th highest WR ppg last season. Beckham vacated a lot of targets, and the Giants went out and signed Tate, so I have to assume the targets will be there.

Last night, I drafted him as the 46th WR taken in a 12 team PPR league. Last week, I got him as the 67th WR drafted in Anarchy 2, also PPR.

IMO Tate seems pretty undervalued right now. Over the past 5 years, he has averaged 13.9 ppg in PPR, and that includes the games last season after he was traded into an unfamiliar offense. Sure, he will miss 4 games, but 13.9 ppg would have been the 27th highest WR ppg last season. Beckham vacated a lot of targets, and the Giants went out and signed Tate, so I have to assume the targets will be there.

Last night, I drafted him as the 46th WR taken in a 12 team PPR league. Last week, I got him as the 67th WR drafted in Anarchy 2, also PPR.
Agree on him being undervalued. He went as the #50th WR taken in my 14-team PPR league, to me. I think a lot of people are overestimating points lost in a 4 game suspension, which makes more sense in standard.

But I believe that the Giants base offense is a 2 WR set, so past his suspension, Tate should see the field a lot as the starting WR on the left side of the field, competing against Sterling Sheppard who is talented but really variable in terms of performance. In 3WR sets, can see him being deadly in the slot. While there is potential in the Giants' WR corps, none have the pedigree or the proven ability.

Regardless of who starts between Eli or Jones, I think Tate is a great value play for PPR, with his only limitation being Barkley being the centerpiece of the offense. I see a lot of stacked boxes against the run and to pressure the QB (either an immobile Eli or inexperienced Jones) and the Giants playing behind a lot (I think O/U prediction for them is around 6 wins this year). All of this feeds into Tate's value, as long as he stays healthy and productive.

My main concern about Tate is that he might be in decline. He's a 31-year-old WR who is coming off a down year, who just saw 2 different teams let him go. It's a lot like the AJ Green situation - I'm much less worried about him missing a few games than I am about what he'll do when he comes back.

I think he's probably a buy at his current price, but it does seem right for him to have a steep drop in value compared to his 2014-17 numbers.

My main concern about Tate is that he might be in decline. He's a 31-year-old WR who is coming off a down year, who just saw 2 different teams let him go. It's a lot like the AJ Green situation - I'm much less worried about him missing a few games than I am about what he'll do when he comes back.

I think he's probably a buy at his current price, but it does seem right for him to have a steep drop in value compared to his 2014-17 numbers.
About 25% or so?

From 2014-2017, Tate averaged 93/1056/5 per season for Detroit. In 2017, his last full season in Detroit, he had almost exactly that -- 92/1003/5. His career best season was 2014, when he had 99/1331/4.

He played 7 games in Detroit last season before being traded. He had 44/517/3 in those games, which projects to 101/1182/7 over 16 games, which arguably would have been the best season of his career. Certainly not worse than second best to 2014.

He was traded midseason, which obviously meant moving into a different offense with different coaches and teammates with zero prep. He had 30/278/1 in 8 games there, well below his performance level for the previous 6.5 seasons, including his last 2 seasons in Seattle. IMO it is more logical to attribute his "down year" to the situation change than to a decline in his performance.

Agree on him being undervalued. He went as the #50th WR taken in my 14-team PPR league, to me. I think a lot of people are overestimating points lost in a 4 game suspension, which makes more sense in standard.

But I believe that the Giants base offense is a 2 WR set, so past his suspension, Tate should see the field a lot as the starting WR on the left side of the field, competing against Sterling Sheppard who is talented but really variable in terms of performance. In 3WR sets, can see him being deadly in the slot. While there is potential in the Giants' WR corps, none have the pedigree or the proven ability.

Regardless of who starts between Eli or Jones, I think Tate is a great value play for PPR, with his only limitation being Barkley being the centerpiece of the offense. I see a lot of stacked boxes against the run and to pressure the QB (either an immobile Eli or inexperienced Jones) and the Giants playing behind a lot (I think O/U prediction for them is around 6 wins this year). All of this feeds into Tate's value, as long as he stays healthy and productive.
Undervalued for sure.  In my main 20yr long auction league I got him for $1 as my 5th WR, literally the last pick of the draft. As much as I’m scared of the Giants O this yr he’s got as good a chance as anyone on that team to provide some ROI. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him as a WR3 on a points per game average by years end.

Last edited by a moderator:
From 2014-2017, Tate averaged 93/1056/5 per season for Detroit. In 2017, his last full season in Detroit, he had almost exactly that -- 92/1003/5. His career best season was 2014, when he had 99/1331/4.

He played 7 games in Detroit last season before being traded. He had 44/517/3 in those games, which projects to 101/1182/7 over 16 games, which arguably would have been the best season of his career. Certainly not worse than second best to 2014.

He was traded midseason, which obviously meant moving into a different offense with different coaches and teammates with zero prep. He had 30/278/1 in 8 games there, well below his performance level for the previous 6.5 seasons, including his last 2 seasons in Seattle. IMO it is more logical to attribute his "down year" to the situation change than to a decline in his performance.
Good post.  As an owner, I’m more worried about Eli at QB than I am Tate declining. 

For those that need to be reminded about Golden Tate and what he has done over 9 years...his first 2-3 years in the league he was in a conservative offense and then had Russel Wilson come in and in 2013, Year 4 he started to show the production many thought he could compile. 

'13-64/898/5Td

'14-'17 he managed to compile 90+ receptions 4 straight years and then...Matt Patricia was hired and did not seem to take to Golden Tate as the previous coaches did in Detroit. 

'18 he started with Detroit and was traded mid season to Philly, I don't really hold him responsible for his stats although they weren't horrible. 

His catch % is pretty high...65% is right around his avg, 2/3 of all targets that get thrown his way end up being caught and he is a 3rd down machine moving the sticks with the shorter routes. 

I think his ability to work in tight spaces on the underneath patterns will make him an instant target for Daniel Jones. 

You've been patient, just wait 2 more weeks and allow DJ to find himself, the Giants will love having Golden Tate with a rookie QB. Don't discount that the NYG might have one of the more under appreciated OL going into 2019 and that's going to allow Jones to operate and he'll have a 2 weeks start to get some of his rookie mistakes ironed out. 

Don't lose faith, Tate will be good for 6/60 when he comes back and then an occasional TD.

-18 games last 2 seasons with 5+ catches, many in the 6-8 range. He is a solid WR2/3 in PPR leagues. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Field Yates @FieldYates

Forward thinking waiver wire action: go add Golden Tate now. He’s eligible to play in Week 5, available in 50% of leagues and should see a nice target share for a Giants passing attack that has new life.

How we feeling about Golden Tate having an impact this week?

Didn't see any preseason stuff with Jones-to-Tate... projections?

Did the suspension keep him out of practice? 

What are thoughts on Tate’s ceiling with Jones at QB? 

Did the suspension keep him out of practice? 

What are thoughts on Tate’s ceiling with Jones at QB? 
I think he’s way better off than he was with Manning. The contract he signed says he will be heavily involved. With their pathetic defense I think he is a solid wr2 especially in ppr from here on out. 

No Barkey and with both recievers in Minn a bit upset, I see a potential air it out type of game. Tate should be involve.

Golden Tate caught 3-of-6 targets for 13 yards in the Giants' Week 5 loss to the Vikings.

It was Tate's first game of 2019, and it wasn't a great one with "Danny Dimes" reverting back to "Daniel Jones". The Giants' offense was stagnant, and Jones was only able to get the ball to Tate on manufactured short-yardage passes. The only positive takeaway from Week 5 was the fact that Tate was indeed playing the slot. With the Patriots on deck, it's best to wait-and-see how Tate and Jones' chemistry develops before thrusting him into a starting fantasy lineup.
Jones was throwing medicine balls out there, Tate will need a couple games (and a full week of practice).

Golden Tate played 45-of-68 offensive snaps (66.2 percent) in his Giants debut Sunday against the Vikings.

He ran 29 of his 32 routes from the slot (90.6 percent) with Sterling Shepard working outside opposite a combination of Cody Latimer and Darius Slayton. Shepard saw a 79.5 percent slot rate in his first three games this season, but now that role apparently belongs to Tate. Evan Engram was relatively unaffected by Tate's return, drawing a team-high 11 targets from Daniel Jones Sunday while running 38 routes, his second-most of the season.

SOURCE: Adam Levitan on Twitter

Oct 7, 2019, 11:35 AM ET

Shepard reeled in 10 targets prior to the concussion.

Engram is reportedly missing or could miss his next start

Barkley still on the mend, Gallman could be on the mend.

Tate could have 12 targets easily next weekend, I don't think it will be huge yards but something like 8-60 yds and a possible TD, 20 in PPR perhaps? 

I'd sell high on Golden right now.  That touchdown was nice but he looks fat.  Being fat is not good for a receiver.  At a minimum his injury risk is high.  I would literally send trade offers at halftime tonight in leagues where trades can happen after a player's game has started.  Strike while the iron is hot.

I'd sell high on Golden right now.  That touchdown was nice but he looks fat.  Being fat is not good for a receiver.  At a minimum his injury risk is high.  I would literally send trade offers at halftime tonight in leagues where trades can happen after a player's game has started.  Strike while the iron is hot.
How fat we talking?

Lorenzen Level?

Users who are viewing this thread