What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[DYNASTY] Darrius Heyward-Bey (2 Viewers)

I don't think I've ever seen a worse NFL player receive such significant playing time. He looks horrible on the field if you watch the games but he's getting enough opportunity to be productive thus far - which is all fantasy owners care about I guess. However, those opportunities should start to dry up when Bryant comes back and if Coates shows any improvement.
Huh, he's actually looked pretty good this year. He's easily looked like the Steelers 2nd best WR.
The second best Steeler WR right now is a pretty meaningless designation. While he did catch a TD on Thursday night he fought with the ball the whole time and al ost dropped it, (to his credit he did show good concentration to stick with it.)

On opening night he should have had an easy TD but I stead of coming to the ball he squatted and waited for it with his Blackfoot out of bounds. Later in the game with the Steelers in comeback mode he caught a pass, ran and fell to the ground short of the first down when he could have easily gained the first. Later in the same drive he caught a ball near the sideline and turned inside into a defender instead of going out of bounds and stopping the clock - when they really needed the clock stopped.

The guy has such poor game awareness and while his catch rate is high, he still fights the ball and doesn't catch smoothly.

I don't think I've ever seen a worse NFL player receive such significant playing time. He looks horrible on the field if you watch the games but he's getting enough opportunity to be productive thus far - which is all fantasy owners care about I guess. However, those opportunities should start to dry up when Bryant comes back and if Coates shows any improvement.
Huh, he's actually looked pretty good this year. He's easily looked like the Steelers 2nd best WR.
The second best Steeler WR right now is a pretty meaningless designation. While he did catch a TD on Thursday night he fought with the ball the whole time and al ost dropped it, (to his credit he did show good concentration to stick with it.) On opening night he should have had an easy TD but I stead of coming to the ball he squatted and waited for it with his Blackfoot out of bounds. Later in the game with the Steelers in comeback mode he caught a pass, ran and fell to the ground short of the first down when he could have easily gained the first. Later in the same drive he caught a ball near the sideline and turned inside into a defender instead of going out of bounds and stopping the clock - when they really needed the clock stopped.

The guy has such poor game awareness and while his catch rate is high, he still fights the ball and doesn't catch smoothly.
Being the 2nd best WR on the team is in no way meaningless. You were siting how a guy like him can be playing as much as he is and getting opportunity. Well, it's simple. It's because he's the 2nd best WR on the team right now. There is a lot of built in bias against DHB IMO. Maybe that's rightfully so given his past. He is playing pretty well right now either way. He could have made a few more plays, but you could say the same about a lot of guys. The numbers speak for themselves and they support that he's been decent this year, to this point. He hasn't looked horrible.

ETA. I know DHB butchered that one catch on the sidelines a while back and that is something peop,e are really hanging onto. It should also be mentioned that he has also made several (I. An think of at least 3) very nice catches on the sideline. Catches most would assume he just isn't capable of making. Thus far, the bad plays have been severally outnumbered by the good ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
The second best Steeler WR right now is a pretty meaningless designation. While he did catch a TD on Thursday night he fought with the ball the whole time and al ost dropped it, (to his credit he did show good concentration to stick with it.) On opening night he should have had an easy TD but I stead of coming to the ball he squatted and waited for it with his Blackfoot out of bounds. Later in the game with the Steelers in comeback mode he caught a pass, ran and fell to the ground short of the first down when he could have easily gained the first. Later in the same drive he caught a ball near the sideline and turned inside into a defender instead of going out of bounds and stopping the clock - when they really needed the clock stopped.

Being the 2nd best WR on the team is in no way meaningless. You were siting how a guy like him can be playing as much as he is and getting opportunity. Well, it's simple. It's because he's the 2nd best WR on the team right now. There is a lot of built in bias against DHB IMO. Maybe that's rightfully so given his past. He is playing pretty well right now either way. He could have made a few more plays, but you could say the same about a lot of guys. The numbers speak for themselves and they support that he's been decent this year, to this point. He hasn't looked horrible.

The second best WR on the Steelers right now means he's basically better than Marcus Wheaton, and I'm not sure I even agree with that. Coates is a raw rookie who should be better than DHB soon and Bryant is suspended. Bryant will surpass him starting this week.

I've sited specific reasons why I think he's a terrible NFL player, so its not built in bias, its 100% based on a this immediate three game sample (well 2 because i only saw bits and pieces of the Rams game) He lacks game/field awareness and he struggles catching the ball cleanly.

I guess we'll just disagree for now. We'll see what he does throughout the season as Bryant comes back and Wheaton and Coates progress (or don't). From what I do understand he's developed into a good special teams player, but I'll admit I don't pay enough attention to every player on every kickoff/punt.

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler expects Darrius Heyward-Bey to remain "fairly high" on the depth chart this season.
Heyward-Bey's clear-out speed — he reportedly clocked 25 miles per hour this spring — has made him a surprising Steelers mainstay, though he has only 24 catches over his past 32 games. Even if DHB gets some routes, he's well behind Antonio Brown, Le'Veon Bell, Markus Wheaton, Sammie Coates and Ladarius Green on the targets totem pole.

Source: ESPN.com 
Jun 30 - 4:41 PM

DHB will be in the same role he was the last two years as long as Wheaton and Coates show up healthy and ready to play. That doesn't deteriorate his contribution to the Steelers but his fantasy contributions will remain minimal.

DHB will be in the same role he was the last two years as long as Wheaton and Coates show up healthy and ready to play. That doesn't deteriorate his contribution to the Steelers but his fantasy contributions will remain minimal.
I am in the minority, but I don't buy that.

In the 4 weeks Bryant was suspended last year DHB averaged 10 points per game in PPR leagues and was the #44 ranked WR in my leagues. Those aren't great numbers but the fact is that he was a decent borderline flex play and should be so again IMO. The Steelers resigned him knowing that Bryant would be suspended and didn't address the WR position in the draft - perhaps they think Wheaton and Coates alone are the answer, but I don't think so and grabbed DHB months ago in my leagues that he was on the waiver wire.

Just my :2cents:

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread