What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[DYNASTY] Darrius Heyward-Bey (2 Viewers)

What an aggravating player. Every time he looks like he's about to take the next step something happens.

Raiders | Darrius Heyward-Bey misses practice

Thu, 15 Nov 2012 17:30:25 -0800

Updating a previous report, Oakland Raiders WR Darrius Heyward-Bey (hamstring) did not participate in practice Thursday, Nov. 15.

0 Comments | Source: Raiders.com | Share:

Looking like DHB is going to be out in Oakland. He's just 26 next year, any hope he gets it together ala Lloyd after changing teams?

(Rotoworld)According to the San Francisco Chronicle, WR Darrius Heyward-Bey and DT Tommy Kelly are candidates to be released by the Raiders in a salary cap crunch.Analysis: Due a prohibitive $7.72 million while coming off concussion and hamstring injuries in 2012, DHB has very little trade value. It's the same story for Kelly at $6.5 million. Already close to the 2013 salary cap limit of $121 million, the Raiders will have to make tough cuts this offseason.

Looking like DHB is going to be out in Oakland. He's just 26 next year, any hope he gets it together ala Lloyd after changing teams?

(Rotoworld)According to the San Francisco Chronicle, WR Darrius Heyward-Bey and DT Tommy Kelly are candidates to be released by the Raiders in a salary cap crunch.Analysis: Due a prohibitive $7.72 million while coming off concussion and hamstring injuries in 2012, DHB has very little trade value. It's the same story for Kelly at $6.5 million. Already close to the 2013 salary cap limit of $121 million, the Raiders will have to make tough cuts this offseason.
I expected to see a lot more out of DHB this season than what we saw, but at this point a change is probably for the best. It will be interesting to see how NFL clubs view him this offseason. We can tell he isn't suited to be a go to WR, but depending where he lands, the guy could be anywhere between the team's #2 WR and #4. Although on the flip side, this draft seems to have plenty of mid round WRs in the same mold as DHB. I can see teams wanting to go that route instead.

I expected to see a lot more out of DHB this season than what we saw, but at this point a change is probably for the best. It will be interesting to see how NFL clubs view him this offseason. We can tell he isn't suited to be a go to WR, but depending where he lands, the guy could be anywhere between the team's #2 WR and #4. Although on the flip side, this draft seems to have plenty of mid round WRs in the same mold as DHB. I can see teams wanting to go that route instead.
pretty much anywhere would be better than the raiders

Physically, there's no one coming out like DHB. The closest is probably Cordarrelle Patterson. I don't think he going to become a true #1 though and probably best suited as a #2. How about the Lions? They've already talked about getting a WR opposite Calvin.

Physically, there's no one coming out like DHB. The closest is probably Cordarrelle Patterson. I don't think he going to become a true #1 though and probably best suited as a #2. How about the Lions? They've already talked about getting a WR opposite Calvin.
Body type wise, there seem to be a couple. A lot of 6'2-6'4 WRs in this draft. None of the their 40's will match DHB, but he doesn't always play up to his 40 time on the field.I think there are a lot of potential fits for the guy. Carolina feels like one of the best fits (football wise, not fantasy) to me. Smith doesn't stretch the field as well as he used to and might be suited to move back inside to slot going forward.

I think there are a lot of potential fits for the guy. Carolina feels like one of the best fits (football wise, not fantasy) to me. Smith doesn't stretch the field as well as he used to and might be suited to move back inside to slot going forward.
How about the Ravens? The Ravens are considering letting Boldin go to save $6M off the cap. DHB is a former teammate of Torrey Smith and went to high school near the stadium and could be had cheap for them, especially if he wants to play back home on a SB team.

He could fit very well with the Saints as a much better Meachem/Henderson type down the field option for Drew Brees.

I think there are a lot of potential fits for the guy. Carolina feels like one of the best fits (football wise, not fantasy) to me. Smith doesn't stretch the field as well as he used to and might be suited to move back inside to slot going forward.
How about the Ravens? The Ravens are considering letting Boldin go to save $6M off the cap. DHB is a former teammate of Torrey Smith and went to high school near the stadium and could be had cheap for them, especially if he wants to play back home on a SB team.
He'd be a big downgrade from Boldin IMO, as Boldin is a terrific in-traffic, jump ball WR, while DHB isn't a natural pass catcher. DHB has great speed and I do like what he brings to the table, but I'm not sure he'd complement Torrey Smith the way Boldin does.

Makes a ton of sense. Ozzie loved him almost as much as Al Davis leading up to the draft.

Yea, the Ravens already have their version of DHB.I could see him on a team like the Redskins or Chiefs.

What about niners? Moss is likely gone. And he could be the cheapish replacement to pair with Crabtree. I'd love to see the niners look at him.

What about niners? Moss is likely gone. And he could be the cheapish replacement to pair with Crabtree. I'd love to see the niners look at him.
Yeah, that could potentiallly work... although could be bad news for AJ Jenkins (and his fantasy owners).I think a lot of teams could use Heyward-Bey if he signs for a reasonable price. I'm not sure what kind of money he'll be after, but imo, he is a WR2/WR3 type, and primarily only a vertical threat.

Last edited by a moderator:
is lloyd considered a deep threat?
i think they thought he was a deep threat, and tried to make it work. wasn't happening though, and by the end of the season, most of lloyd's targets were outs/WR screens. the patriots still need a deep threat other than Gronk.

'The Comedian said:
'flc735 said:
i think they thought he was a deep threat, and tried to make it work. wasn't happening though, and by the end of the season, most of lloyd's targets were outs/WR screens. the patriots still need a deep threat other than Gronk.
so then new england would make sense, right? a cheap, 1-dimensional deep threat is all they really need with the weapons they already have. they sign dhb, cut loose welker and replace welkers production with a edleman/vereen/hernandez combo. they will save a lot of money to use elsewhere.this is all assuming dhb doesn't demand a overvalued contract. i don't think he will. it wasn't his fault oak overdrafted him back when the crazy rookie salary structure was in place and he is not coming off a very good season.

'The Comedian said:
'flc735 said:
so then new england would make sense, right? a cheap, 1-dimensional deep threat is all they really need with the weapons they already have. they sign dhb, cut loose welker and replace welkers production with a edleman/vereen/hernandez combo. they will save a lot of money to use elsewhere.this is all assuming dhb doesn't demand a overvalued contract. i don't think he will. it wasn't his fault oak overdrafted him back when the crazy rookie salary structure was in place and he is not coming off a very good season.
The good thing (for him at least) is that he's already made $25M so I doubt money is his major concern. I think he'd love to go somewhere stable with a good QB regardless of what he gets paid. He could sign a 2 year/$6M deal with the Pats and still be only 28 after it's up. If he develops then he can sign a big deal, if not he can retire and enjoy the next 50 years of his life.

The good thing (for him at least) is that he's already made $25M so I doubt money is his major concern. I think he'd love to go somewhere stable with a good QB regardless of what he gets paid. He could sign a 2 year/$6M deal with the Pats and still be only 28 after it's up. If he develops then he can sign a big deal, if not he can retire and enjoy the next 50 years of his life.
Assuming he and/or his financial advisors hasn't gone through the lot already...

He is a buy low now. :hophead:

Raiders give up on bust Darrius Heyward-Bey

Raiders released WR Darrius Heyward-Bey.

Widely panned as a stretch when the Raiders took him seventh overall in the 2009 draft, Heyward-Bey proved the pundits right. Showing stones for hands and an inability to run anything besides a vertical route, he recorded a grand total of 11 touchdowns and averaged 37.8 yards per game in four seasons. The Raiders save $5.341 million by releasing him now, one year before his rookie deal was due to expire. Heyward-Bey will get a second chance elsewhere thanks to his raw skills, but he's unlikely to ever emerge as a difference-maker.
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5093/darrius-heyward-bey

He's come a long way since his rookie year, nearly hitting 1000 yards in 2011.

I think he was probably the best WR the Raiders had, but he wasn't worth the inflated salary he was set to receive. A team like Pittsburgh or Washington will probably scoop him up at a modest price. He can stretch the field and would be a big upgrade over the likes of Hankerson/Aldrick Robinson. With Pitt losing Wallace, they might be looking for a similar player at a reduced rate.

Yeah, gotta think this guy will catch on for the league minimum somewhere. Could be a decent WR3 for Cam Newton assuming they fill the WR2 hole in the draft.

He's come a long way since his rookie year, nearly hitting 1000 yards in 2011.

I think he was probably the best WR the Raiders had, but he wasn't worth the inflated salary he was set to receive. A team like Pittsburgh or Washington will probably scoop him up at a modest price. He can stretch the field and would be a big upgrade over the likes of Hankerson/Aldrick Robinson. With Pitt losing Wallace, they might be looking for a similar player at a reduced rate.
Not really, Streater outplayed him the last 5 games of the season. From Weeks 13-17 they had the same number of targets (27) but Streater bested DHB in every category except TDs: Streater 18 REC, 351 YD, 19.5 Y/R, 1 TD

DHB......13 REC, 166 YD, 12.8 Y/R, 2 TD

If you watched the games, Streater looked to be the better player and with outperforming DHB statistically, made him expendable.

He was also not a great fit with Carson Palmer and his reduced arm strength. Say what you want about the guy, he can flat-out fly on the go route.

Would like to see him paired up with a stronger armed QB somewhere. Can you imagine RG3 flinging it to him deep? :thumbup:

DHB's routes and hands improved tremendously from his rookie year, but still were below average for an NFL WR, even as late as last year. But he does have strengths. He's extremely fast, he is quite strong once the ball's in his hands and he has tremendous character. He'll continue to improve and if given the right role on a team with existing weapons, he can definitely contribute. I like the guy and hope he finds success.

Logical replacement for recently departed Mike Wallace -- not sure Steelers will lean that way though.

He was also not a great fit with Carson Palmer and his reduced arm strength. Say what you want about the guy, he can flat-out fly on the go route. Would like to see him paired up with a stronger armed QB somewhere. Can you imagine RG3 flinging it to him deep? :thumbup:
Doesn't get open deep. Catches short passes, thengets tackled. Repeat: Doesn't get open deep.

He was also not a great fit with Carson Palmer and his reduced arm strength. Say what you want about the guy, he can flat-out fly on the go route. Would like to see him paired up with a stronger armed QB somewhere. Can you imagine RG3 flinging it to him deep? :thumbup:
Doesn't get open deep. Catches short passes, thengets tackled. Repeat: Doesn't get open deep.
He's come a long way since being a rookie and is still only 26. He still needs to work on his route running so he can get open consistently.

Ive just picked DHB up for 3.07. I like him and think he may well land in a decent situation. Agree with some of the positive comments above on him

He's come a long way since being a rookie and is still only 26. He still needs to work on his route running so he can get open consistently.
He has. Still not a deep threat.Now he's just better at catching the short stuff.

Darrius Heyward-Bey speaks for first time since release from RaidersBy Levi Damien on Mar 13 2013, 5:25p 54Raiders released wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey on the first day of free agency. I caught up with him to today to find out what his next move will be.The Raiders dropped a bit of a bombshell on the first day of free agency, releasing former number seven overall pick, Darrius Heyward-Bey along with former eighth overall pick Michael Huff.The move was somewhat expected for DHB. He was set to make over $10 million next season and with the team looking to cut big contracts, he was a prime candidate. I asked him if saw the move coming and he spoke plainly."Well, you know, you understand the business side of things," said Heyward-Bey. "That's what football is, it's a game but it's also a business. You also prepare yourself that ‘hey, it's very slim that a guy plays his whole career in one place.' So I've always been prepared for that."The first few years of the young receiver's career were tumultuous ones. From the moment he was drafted, he had harsh criticism from the media and the fans. He was seen as a typical Al Davis speed pick because his resume didn't show enough to suggest he was worth the seventh overall pick.Yesterday, he tweeted that he was closing one chapter of his life and beginning a new one. I asked him about what he thought of that first chapter."Um, you know, ups and downs," he responded. "Didn't start off that great but the way I fought through adversity and the way that I worked on my game, I'm very proud of because I think a lot of people would have folded in a situation like that where I felt like I overcame a lot of bad things."A great deal of that initial adversity came the moment he was drafted. The most infamous criticism being from former NFL wide receiver turned analyst, Cris Carter, who latched onto the fact that DHB's highest college accolade was making Honorable Mention ACC. He harped on the words "Honorable Mention" and had the rest of the ESPN draft crew cackling just after they had spoken with Heyward-Bey via satellite.The "ups and downs" came in his on-field performances during his four years in Oakland. The first two seasons were nothing to write home about. He had a total of 35 catches for 490 yards in those two seasons. The third season was an "up" for him in which he had 65 catches and was 25 yards away from a 1000 yards season.Then the new regime came in and the receiver who spent three seasons working to prove himself had to do it all over again for a new coaching staff and front office. They wanted to see if he could diplicate or improve on his 2011 season, and he took a step back, catching 41 passed for 606 yards. They were already hesitant to try and extend his contract even at a lower rate. The eventual solution was to simply cut ties.Even after all he went through, he is grateful for his career to this point."I just want to say thank you for giving me the opportunity to play for that organization, the Raiders organization. And then for the fans just thanks for all the support. Each and every game, home game, away game, the come out to show us a lot of love and I really appreciate that."Now that one chapter of his football career has closed, it's time to open another one."The next chapter of my life is a new team and trying to help that team win a Super Bowl. Looking forward to just continue to get better, become a better football player and I'm looking forward to that."And DHB has a message for his future team as to what kind of player he is and what he brings to the table."I think I'm gonna bring a guy that's smart, who brings leadership. I had that role the last two years with the Raiders and a guy that gonna bring it each and every day. Big play capabilities. I've shown that I can break some tackles and get into the endzone."Free Agency began less than 48 hours ago so there it's still early yet. We may have seen the last of him in Silver and Black but I don't expect it will be too long before DHB is able to begin trying to prove his strengths to his next team.

(Rotoworld)Free agent Darrius Heyward-Bey will visit the Colts.Analysis: Per ESPN's Adam Schefter, Heyward-Bey could visit as early as Monday. It's DHB's first known looksee since getting cut loose by the Raiders. Heyward-Bey wouldn't be signed as a starter, but as a replacement for deep-threat Donnie Avery. DHB was always miscast as a starter in Oakland, but could thrive in a situational role where he's deployed to take the lid off of opposing defenses.

He has. Still not a deep threat.Now he's just better at catching the short stuff.
14.8 career YPC isn't bad; his drop rate went from worst in the league to like 9% and 12% the last two years.

Just heard on local radio that DHB is visiting the Lions.
Darrius Heyward-Bey - WR - Free AgentFree agent WR Darrius Heyward-Bey will visit the Lions Wednesday.This is an intriguing fit for Heyward-Bey. The Lions are desperate for wideout help thanks to Ryan Broyles' torn ACL and Titus Young's meltdown. They also need a true burner that can take the top off the defense and pull some attention off Calvin Johnson. Heyward-Bey doesn't have great hands and isn't a polished route-runner, but he can certainly fly. The former No. 7 overall pick ran a 4.30 at the 2009 combine, the fastest time in his class.Related: LionsSource: Detroit Free Press

DHB's routes and hands improved tremendously from his rookie year, but still were below average for an NFL WR, even as late as last year. But he does have strengths. He's extremely fast, he is quite strong once the ball's in his hands and he has tremendous character. He'll continue to improve and if given the right role on a team with existing weapons, he can definitely contribute. I like the guy and hope he finds success.
:goodposting: He may not be worth 6 million, but he's worth a heck of a lot more than vet minimum. Guy should catch on somewhere

:goodposting: He may not be worth 6 million, but he's worth a heck of a lot more than vet minimum. Guy should catch on somewhere
I have a feeling he doesn't leave Detroit. As long as his contract demands aren't ridiculous (<$3m/year) they'll sign him.

General manager Ryan Grigson told season ticket holders during a Monday conference call he feels Heyward-Bey would be a good fit in Indy.“He has tremendous speed,” Grigson said, according to the team’s website. “He’s got a lot of tools to work with. I think he played for three quarterbacks out there in Oakland. So hopefully we can land him, and he can be more comfortable being somewhere where his quarterback is Andrew Luck.”

Adding to the speculation that Heyward-Bey will ultimately sign with the Lions is that quarterback Matthew Stafford is now following him on Twitter (via MLive). Stafford made headlines earlier in the offseason when he started following Bush on Twitter, and we all know how that situation played out. Bush is now a member of the Lions, and perhaps Heyward-Bey will be the next offensive skill player to join the team.

While Indy is a nice landing spot for him, Detroit has to be just about the best anyone could hope for.
Darrius Heyward-Bey played with seven different starting quarterbacks in his four seasons in Oakland, and he’d like some stability in his next stop.

Heyward-Bey visited the Lions today and left town without a deal, but he said he’s all for reuniting with Matthew Stafford, who he’s known since the two trained together in Arizona before the 2009 draft.

“It’s very appealing,” Heyward-Bey said after his visit. “No. 1 he’s a great guy. I’ve known him since we were coming out in the draft. And just the ability for him to throw the ball and how smart he is. Coach lets him do his thing back there.”

The seventh overall pick in the 2009 draft after he ran the fastest 40-yard dash at that year’s NFL combine (4.30 seconds), Heyward-Bey has had an up and down four seasons with the Raiders.

He barely played as a rookie, catching just nine passes in 11 games, but two years later became the deep threat the Raiders envisioned when he caught a career-best 64 passes for 975 yards. Last year, Heyward-Bey had just 41 catches, and he was released earlier this month in a move Raiders coach Dennis Allen said was due to salary-cap restraints.

Heyward-Bey said today his time in Oakland was “great” and that he “finished off my career getting better each and every year.” But at 26, he’s looking forward to the next chapter in his career.

The Lions believe Heyward-Bey, who visited the Indianapolis Colts on Monday, can stretch the field opposite Calvin Johnson and diversify a receiving corps deep in slot types like Nate Burleson, Ryan Broyles and Mike Thomas.

“The sky’s the limit” with the Lions, Heyward-Bey said. “Adding Reggie (Bush) already with Calvin and Matt and (Brandon) Pettigrew, (Tony) Scheffler, all these guys; you still got the vet Nate, you got a young guy in Broyles who’s coming off an injury but still brings a lot. It’d be nice to be a part of something like that, so I’ve just got to sit back and think about it.”

How soon could Heyward-Bey make his decision?

“Only time will tell,” he said. “I’ve got a long flight home.”

Users who are viewing this thread