What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[DYNASTY] Darrius Heyward-Bey (2 Viewers)

I think he's the kind of guy who will show flashes of something but ultimately fizzle out. I ended up taking his contract in a Dynasty League and view him as a flyer.

Would love to dump this guy if he has a big-game or two...

Rather see him in Indy myself. Wayne is ancient and Hilton may end up working best as a slot WR.

Don't see much upside in Detroit with Calvin, Burleson, and Bush hogging the looks.

Don't think DHB would be a great FF option in either spot. More likely to be useful in Indy though, IMO.

Rather see him in Indy myself. Wayne is ancient and Hilton may end up working best as a slot WR. Don't see much upside in Detroit with Calvin, Burleson, and Bush hogging the looks. Don't think DHB would be a great FF option in either spot. More likely to be useful in Indy though, IMO.
I like Indy better myself for the chance he develops more and becomes a reliable option after Wayne. Detroit is still going to be a good option considering Burleson was a high end WR3 (#32) in 2011. DHB actually out-performed him (#28) despite missing a game and being taken out of the game plan for two others - all with Palmer at QB. I don't think a 70/1000/6 season is unreasonable.

Detroit is still going to be a good option considering Burleson was a high end WR3 (#32) in 2011. DHB actually out-performed him (#28) despite missing a game and being taken out of the game plan for two others - all with Palmer at QB. I don't think a 70/1000/6 season is unreasonable.
Not nearly as optimistic myself. Burleson is a better overall WR than DHB, so I don't see him just ceding his starting spot. At least not until his skills start to erode. Calvin will lead the team in targets. Bush will get his fair share. Burleson, DHB, and Pettigrew would carve up the rest. With the run game improving and Detroit's pass attempts probably dropping from the insane 2011-2012 numbers, I don't see any way that the 4th guy on the totem pole could threaten those kind of numbers. I think he'd be looking at 500-700 yards if he goes there. Not enough to make him worthwhile. Avery had 781 for the Colts last season and I think you can make a case that Heyward-Bey is better than him.

Beyond that, Washington or Pittsburgh would be great, but neither team has been linked to him that I'm aware of.

Detroit is still going to be a good option considering Burleson was a high end WR3 (#32) in 2011. DHB actually out-performed him (#28) despite missing a game and being taken out of the game plan for two others - all with Palmer at QB. I don't think a 70/1000/6 season is unreasonable.
Not nearly as optimistic myself. Burleson is a better overall WR than DHB, so I don't see him just ceding his starting spot. At least not until his skills start to erode. Calvin will lead the team in targets. Bush will get his fair share. Burleson, DHB, and Pettigrew would carve up the rest. With the run game improving and Detroit's pass attempts probably dropping from the insane 2011-2012 numbers, I don't see any way that the 4th guy on the totem pole could threaten those kind of numbers. I think he'd be looking at 500-700 yards if he goes there. Not enough to make him worthwhile. Avery had 781 for the Colts last season and I think you can make a case that Heyward-Bey is better than him.

Beyond that, Washington or Pittsburgh would be great, but neither team has been linked to him that I'm aware of.
31 years old, coming off a broken leg, and would have likely been cut already if they had any depth whatsoever at the position. I have absolutely no doubt that DHB would start alongside Calvin.I would imagine he would end up with something in the neighborhood of 60-850-6 there.

Rather see him in Indy myself. Wayne is ancient and Hilton may end up working best as a slot WR.

Don't see much upside in Detroit with Calvin, Burleson, and Bush hogging the looks.

Don't think DHB would be a great FF option in either spot. More likely to be useful in Indy though, IMO.
Pettigrew is solid as well

31 years old, coming off a broken leg, and would have likely been cut already if they had any depth whatsoever at the position. I have absolutely no doubt that DHB would start alongside Calvin.I would imagine he would end up with something in the neighborhood of 60-850-6 there.
Why haven't they released Burleson to sign DHB if that's all true?

Why haven't they released Burleson to sign DHB if that's all true?
Because even with DHB they still have no depth?

Burleson is the type of boring veteran that FF owners tend to overlook. And that makes sense because he's basically useless for our purposes. But that doesn't mean he's a zero in NFL terms. He's a former 1000+ yard receiver in his own right and even in his old age he's a reliable possession WR who converts a high percentage of his targets. Assuming that he can come back playing at his 20102-2012 level, I think he'll continue to be a factor.

Burleson is the type of boring veteran that FF owners tend to overlook. And that makes sense because he's basically useless for our purposes. But that doesn't mean he's a zero in NFL terms. He's a former 1000+ yard receiver in his own right and even in his old age he's a reliable possession WR who converts a high percentage of his targets. Assuming that he can come back playing at his 20102-2012 level, I think he'll continue to be a factor.
This is likely Burleson's last year in Detroit and he had to take a huge pay cut to stay there. He'll be a factor but they are focused on replacing him.

DHB would be a good fit in Detroit or Indy. He would be wide open deep a few times with all the safety help on Calvin.

Colts agreed to terms with Darrius Heyward-Bey, formerly of the Raiders, on a one-year contract.

Financials: Up to $3 million. $1.5 million guaranteed.

Last edited by a moderator:
werdnoynek said:
jonboltz said:
Colts agreed to terms with Darrius Heyward-Bey, formerly of the Raiders, on a one-year contract.

Financials: Up to $3 million. $1.5 million guaranteed.
nice change of scenery for him. i like it.
This is a 'prove it' deal but as a DHB owner I'm happy with it.

If DHB can somehow learn to hands catch with more consistency, this will be a steal.

The Raiders spent a first rounder, four years and tens of millions to develop this guy into a decent WR and now the Colts are getting to pay him peanuts just as he's getting ready to blossom. DHB is a tremendous character guy and has worked his butt off to improve every year. His stats took a slide last year mainly b/c the dumb Raiders OC who refused to watch tape of what made DHB (and DMC) successful the year before. If the Colts utilize him the right way, DHB can be a very good (NFL) WR2 and if he continues his pace of improvement the next couple years, he could become a WR1. That may be a stretch, but with Luck as his QB and a strong desire and commitment to improving his game, I can see it happening. He has all the tools, except the hands, but believe me, they've come a LONG way since his rookie year and I think they'll continue to get better.

Indy was probably a smarter choice for him than Detroit. Reggie Wayne's not getting any younger and if things click for DHB we could be looking at Luck's future WR1.

If DHB can somehow learn to hands catch with more consistency, this will be a steal.
Yeah, well, good luck with that.
PFF has him being just about average in terms of dropping catchable balls. Hilton and Avery both had the highest % of dropped catchable balls in the league; so DHB is (by the numbers) an improvement from last year.
Fine, then he will be a steal for you too if his owners in your leagues are willing to part with him. Somehow, I tend to cut a rookie like Hilton a break with some dropped balls over a receiver who seemingly has had stone hands for years.

PFF has him being just about average in terms of dropping catchable balls. Hilton and Avery both had the highest % of dropped catchable balls in the league; so DHB is (by the numbers) an improvement from last year.
Fine, then he will be a steal for you too if his owners in your leagues are willing to part with him. Somehow, I tend to cut a rookie like Hilton a break with some dropped balls over a receiver who seemingly has had stone hands for years.
True story; first impressions tend to last.

And I have seen little to refute it. :shrug:

Were I a DHB dynasty owner, I'd be pretty happy with this landing spot. 1 year makes it less ideal, but overall, he is in a spot where he has a chance to carve out a decent role (and on a team that has a great young QB and will pass a good amount).

This definitely seems to be a make or break year for DHB, as a previous poster mentioned. -He's a hold in dynasty, or maybe a buy if you can get him for close to nothing and have room on your roster.

And I have seen little to refute it. :shrug:
It's possible that this is a case of the stats lying. I'd tend to side with PFF, however.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/about/pff-signature-stats/

Drop Rate (WR, TE, RB)

Sticky fingers or hands of stone, the league’s best (and worst) pass-catchers are highlighted in these tables. Adding up all of the catchable balls every player sees come his way and comparing it to the number that he can’t haul in, the Drop Rate gives black-and-white backing to ‘best hands/worst hands’ arguments. This Signature Stat is available for wide receivers, tight ends, and running backs.

Example: Great for tracking improvement (or fall-off) over time, the Drop Rate shows Darrius Heyward-Bey’s 2009-to-2011 progression from dropping 35.71% of catchable balls to 21.21% to 8.57%.

Drop rate progression from 09 to 11 is for sure a valid statistic to analyze DHB. But hidden in that analysis is that he rarely catches any of the back shoulder fly patterns. He made his bread and butter with the square out, stop, catch, hitch and go patterns. You look at his tape and you will see mostly him squaring his shoulders perfectly flush to the QB's line of sight. It negates his speed and YAC ability. But the drop rate did improve. That is true.

Rotoworld:

The National Football Post's Dan Pompei reports the Colts "will be trying to get" Darrius Heyward-Bey more opportunities than he ever had in Oakland.
Pompei adds that the Colts are looking to develop their vertical passing attack further this season, and part of their enthusiasm has to do with DHB's acquisition. The coaching staff sees Heyward-Bey as a "potentially explosive playmaker" who can get behind coverage. He and T.Y. Hilton will likely alternate in two-wide sets early on, but we'd expect Hilton to run away with the starting job opposite Reggie Wayne. Heyward-Bey will still see plenty of snaps as the No. 3.

Source: National Football Post

Bob Kravitz: Indianapolis Colts receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey out to prove Oakland dropped the ball
For four years, Darrius Heyward-Bey played in the Black Hole. That’s the name of Oakland’s most fervent fan section, but it also describes the most dysfunctional, even laughable, organization in the NFL.

The Oakland Black Hole is where careers go to die.

If you don’t believe that, ask Randy Moss, who disappeared in Oakland, only to go to New England, where he helped Tom Brady set all kinds of passing records.

This, then, is Heyward-Bey’s opportunity to justify his selection as the seventh player taken overall in the 2009 draft. This is his chance to show the Indianapolis Colts and the rest of the league he’s more than an all-legs, no-hands guy with blazing straight-line speed and no earthly clue how to be a productive NFL wide receiver.

If he can’t be renewed here with Andrew Luck throwing and Reggie Wayne tutoring and a spot awaiting him on the outside, there’s probably no hope for this guy’s career.

A crossroads?

That’s not how Heyward-Bey looks at it.

But he should.

“I really don’t see it that way,’’ he said. “I’m looking at this as a chance to get to the playoffs and win a Super Bowl with a really good team and a very good quarterback. I’m very team oriented. I want to make plays that help this team win.’’

In a perfect world, Heyward-Bey will step into the wide receiver slot opposite Wayne, with second-year man T.Y. Hilton taking over in the slot.

In a perfect world.

Nobody questions his 4.3-second 40-yard speed. It’s the reason the late Al Davis, who was smitten by fast players throughout his life, surprised the entire NFL by taking the former Maryland player with the seventh pick in the draft.

The question remains his hands, his ability to get separation from defensive backs and make tough plays in traffic. Drops are not what the Colts need, not after 50 drops last season, most of them by Hilton and Donnie Avery. It’s not that Heyward-Bey doesn’t work on his hands. He’s a relentless worker, a good teammate by almost any description, but there’s a reason the Raiders didn’t re-sign him.
Specifically, his hands.His rookie year, he had an astonishing 35.7 percent drop rate.

His second year, he had a 21.6 percent drop rate.

His third year — his best year, by far, with 64 catches check — his drop rate was a very good 8.6 percent.

But then last year, he went back up to 12.8 percent.

Anything above a 10 percent drop rate screams “bad hands.’’

“I came in with that stigma, but other than my rookie year, I never led the league in dropped passes,’’ he said. “It’s hard to get rid of a stigma once they put it on you. But I don’t see it as a problem.’’

The Colts are counting on the possibility that Heyward-Bey is simply a late bloomer whose time is yet to come.

He didn’t start playing football until late in his high school career, and spent only three years at the University of Maryland. He was more of a basketball and baseball player and track athlete than he was a football player. But his breakneck speed was so tantalizing, the high school coaches had to see how it might transfer to the football field.

At Maryland, he quickly became known both for his ability to take the top off a defense and his yards-after-catch ability. After all, you can’t teach 4.3.

So why was he something of a bust in Oakland? Let’s just say there was a pretty good reason beyond his control. We did a pop quiz.

“Name all the quarterbacks who threw you the ball during your four years in Oakland,’’ he was asked.

He smiled.

“Jamarcus (Russell). Charlie Frye. Bruce Gradkowski. Jason Campbell. Kyle Boller. Carson Palmer and Terrelle Pryor for one game,’’ Heyward-Bey said.

“Who were all of the offensive coordinators you had in your time there?’’ he was asked.

Another smile.

“Gregg Knapp, Al Saunders, Hue Jackson and Greg Olson.’’

Head coaches?

“Tom Cable, Hue Jackson and Doug Allen.’’

Four years, seven quarterbacks, four offensive coordinators and three head coaches.

The Raiders have long been paragons of instability, no more so than in the past few seasons, when Davis changed quarterbacks and coaches the way the Kardashians change boyfriends.
We’ve seen firsthand what happens when an excellent receiver — let’s call him Reggie Wayne — is stuck with a substandard quarterback. The numbers go down, way down. We then saw Wayne’s numbers go back through the roof when he was paired with Andrew Luck.That, ultimately, is what the Colts will find out: Was this a Raiders problems or a Heyward-Bey problem?

“This is an opportunity for him,’’ Colts coach Chuck Pagano said. “... He’s big. He’s fast. He can take the top off the back end. He’s got big-play potential. At the time, not knowing what was going on with Donnie (Avery), we needed someone to fill that role and get another guy opposite of Reggie (Wayne) that people had to pay attention to. People just couldn’t sit there and single and lean the coverage over the other way.’’

The mystery remains: Will he rebuild his career here — the Colts are in a low-risk spot, having given him a one-year deal — or does he turn into a very poor man’s Pierre Garcon?

I wanted to stop reading Kravitz article once he got to the point that "the Oakland black hole is where careers go to die". Kravitz tells us that Randy Moss is proof of this. Really? Laughable, by any reasonable perspective to use Randy Moss as the pall bearer of non-dysfunctionality.

And not to nitpick, but DHB has only had 3 offensive coordinators, Olson was hired this offseason and doesn't count. He wasn't with the organization in any capacity while DHB was on the team. Kravitz continues to interject DHB that "smiles", as if there's some kind of sarcasm to help prove his point. What is this trash, bleacher report drivel? Again, pretty low brow reporting,and falsehoods.

So what if he had a bunch of different QB's throw to him? Primarily, it was Grads, Campbell, and Palmer. Adding a few emergency QB starts skews the point Kravitz is trying to make, which doesn't hold water. Does Kravitz want to draw some conclusion that the QB's have been on a merry go round as well? He's dead wrong. Now, as far as the coaching staff, it has been on spin cycle. But for that matter, so has Indy's coaching staff, losing Bruce Arians to the AZ Cards, and are working on their 3rd head coach since the Tony Dungy era. Notice I use Arians as one of the 3 HC's to embellish a point. See? Anyone can play this game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Darrius Heyward-Bey: Carving Out a Role With IndyPosted on July 28, 2013 at 10:30 PM

NEWS UPDATE

Reggie Wayne and Heyward-Bey were the starting receivers in training camp Sunday with T.Y. Hilton as the third receiver, the Indianapolis Star reports.

ROTOWIRE FANTASY ANALYSIS

It's not clear how Hilton and Heyward-Bey will divide playing time next to Reggie Wayne, but it looks like Heyward-Bey has the early lead as training camp begins. If new offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton uses two tight ends frequently, there won't be as many three-receiver sets. That could make the battle for the No. 2 role important. However, there was also talk in the spring that the two could split time as the No. 2 receiver. It's a situation to watch closely this preseason.

July 28, 2013

DHB getting on the same page with Luck

The Herald Bulletin

ANDERSON, Ind. — The football seemed to hang in the air for an eternity.

Wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey seemingly had beaten cornerback Greg Toler on the route, but now the defender was gaining ground quickly.

As the nose of the ball turned toward the ground and its flight began to descend, Toler erased his deficit all together. At the last moment, he reached his hand between Heyward-Bey's arms and knocked the pass away.

It was a perfect example of the competition that raged throughout Sunday afternoon's Indianapolis Colts training camp practice at Anderson University. And it was quarterback Andrew Luck's best chance at connecting on a true deep pass all day.

But, on this play, it wasn't meant to be.

Heyward-Bey's mission over the course of the next three weeks is to make sure Luck believes he will come down with that pass more often than not.

"You got to make plays out there," the receiver commonly known by his intials as DHB said after the morning walkthrough. "When he throws it up there, you got to come down with the ball. That's what a quarterback looks for, and that's what I'm going to do."

Veteran Donnie Avery revived his career last season lining up opposite of Reggie Wayne and catching passes from Luck. In his fourth NFL season, he set career highs in receptions (60) and yards (781) and had the best per-catch average (13 yards) of any year in which he had more than three catches.

Heyward-Bey, who was drafted seventh overall by the Oakland Raiders in 2009, is hoping for similar results this season.

DHB played with a revolving cast of quarterbacks, head coaches and offensive coordinators during four mostly frustrating seasons in Oakland. He seemed to have a breakout campaign with 64 catches for 975 yards and four scores in 2011, but he regressed last season with 41 receptions and 606 yards.

He believes the relative stability in Indianapolis will help. But he's not going to forget entirely about his past.

"I've been in, I think this will be my fifth offense," Heyward-Bey said. "So you just go through it. The way I learn stuff, I just add things from what I learned in the past and make it my own."

The wide receiver proved his commitment to this season by making time to work out with Luck and teammate Griff Whalen in California during the brief offseason.

The extra work added another layer of timing and familiarity with his quarterback. And it helped him to learn a few things about his new teammate as well.

"Other than him being goofy?," Heyward-Bey said when asked about his revelations. "No, he's just like any other quarterback. He demands attention in the huddle. He's very confident in what he does. He expects everybody to be on the same page."

DHB appears willing to sacrifice personal gain if it means he finally will be able to experience the playoffs.

Oakland built its reputation during the 1970s with a "Commitment to Excellence," but little evidence of those days remains with the franchise. The team never finished with a record better than 8-8 during Heyward-Bey's four seasons, and he's looking for that to change in Indianapolis.

When he signed with the Colts in the spring, he said his heart told him he was making the right decision. So far, he's seen no evidence to doubt that belief.

"Just the way they do their business around here," Heyward-Bey said. "It's all about making sure everybody's comfortable, making sure all the players are taken care of, and winning. To go from 2-14 to 11 wins in one season, that's amazing. And that starts from the bottom. It starts from the owner all the way down to the equipment guys."

I watched DHB closely yesterday at camp. He was looked at early and often. He was also playing every position as we're all of the WRs. He split snaps 60/40 with TY. The only play I saw him get real separation was on the deep pass mentioned above.

He is a big target and I see that used more at the goal line.

Hilton was open much more with his quickness.

As a side note, Griff Whalen looked like Collie out there but with better hands. He was open 80% of the time. Mostly because he was going against the 2s or as the 4th WR.

The Colts will be tough to cover in 2TE and 4 WR sets.

I think DHB is a buy in all formats at where his value currently stands. He's cheap enough to where its not a big deal if he never takes off, but the rewards could be huge as Luck and that offense continue to evolve.

Rotoworld:

Darrius Heyward-Bey has "dropped a few already" in Colts camp.
It's not exactly news, but just a reminder that a change of scenery isn't going to suddenly soften DHB's famously awful hands. DHB is supposedly running as the Colts' No. 2 receiver over T.Y. Hilton in camp, but it would be surprising if that remained the case through the end of August. DHB's skills (read: speed) are far more suited to a situational role.

Source: Indianapolis Star

Colts OC Pep Hamilton would "like for (Darrius Heyward-Bey's) hands to be a little more consistent."
Same as it ever was. We've now heard two knocks on DHB's stone hands in as many days, which should quell any inane "sleeper" talk before it gains momentum. Asked about DHB's skill-set in general, Hamilton replied "he's fast," before going on a tangent on his play-making ability. DHB could have the occasional big week with Andrew Luck at the helm, but is going to be much the same frustrating player he was in Oakland.
and so it goes...

Darrius Heyward-Bey - WR - Colts

Coach Chuck Pagano says Darrius Heyward-Bey has strung together two straight strong practices since dropping five balls through the first two days of Colts camp.

Running with the first-team offense, Heyward-Bey needs to turn it around to have any chance of holding off current No. 3 wideout T.Y. Hilton. "He had two back-to-back really good days," said Pagano of DHB. "... He is getting more comfortable and obviously the chemistry is starting to grow between him and [Andrew] Luck." It's possible Heyward-Bey and Hilton will wind up rotating opposite Reggie Wayne, which would hurt the consistency of both in fantasy leagues.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports

Aug 2 - 12:15 AM

I was at camp today and DHB caught every pass. He is also getting about 60% of the first team reps vs Hilton.

He has been getting a lot of balls thrown his way in 7/7 and 11/11 drills!!!

After rocky start, DHB drawing praise in Indy

Posted by Mike Florio on August 1, 2013, 11:57 PM EDT

350x-2 AP

During free agency, Colts owner Jim Irsay generated intrigue via a series of tweets suggesting that the team was targeting a big-name receiver. It turned out to be Darrius Heyward-Bey, a top-10 draft pick who never really lived up to his potential and hype in Oakland.

That could be changing. Heyward-Bey is drawing strong reviews in Indy, despite reportedly having five drops in his first two days of Colts camp.

“He had two back-to-back really good days,” coach Chuck Pagano told reporters on Thursday, “so I think like anything else, you make a catch here, you make a catch there and yesterday opened with a big play and so I think from there he is just starting to obviously feel more comfortable in the offense terminology-wise, all the play calls, things like that and then he’s making plays whether it is big plays down the field, underneath, so I think from a confidence standpoint, a mental standpoint he is just getting more comfortable and obviously the chemistry is starting to grow between him and [Andrew] Luck.”

Heyward-Bey made six catches in practice on Thursday, and quarterback Andrew Luck says repetition is the key to getting the level of comfort necessary between himself and Heyward-Bey.

“You can throw in the summer and no one’s covering and those are important, too, but the more reps you can get in team and seven-on-sevens and one-on-ones, I think it’s just so vital to an offensive timing and rhythm and I think DHB with Reggie [Wayne] and T.Y [Hilton] knowing those guys for a year now, it’s been fun to get to go out and throw with them and really take that next step with those guys and hopefully keep on progressing with the wide receivers and all of them,” Luck said.

Heyward-Bey seemed to be on the verge of a breakout after gaining 975 receiving yards in 2011, his third NFL season. Last year, however, his catches and yards dipped significantly, and the Raiders opted to get out from under the final portion of the pre-rookie wage scale contract he received as the seventh overall pick in 2009.

With Wayne, Hilton, and tight ends Coby Fleener and Dwayne Allen, Heyward-Bey gives the Colts a potent group of pass catches for Luck. While Indy may still have a way to go to duplicate the days of Marvin Harrison, Wayne, Dallas Clark, and Marcus Pollard, having Luck throw the new guys the ball could help the new guys be viewed in the same light as the old guys.

Rotoworld:

Darrius Heyward-Bey suffered a sprained left knee during Sunday's practice at Colts camp.
There aren't many details available, but Heyward-Bey had the knee wrapped post-practice and lacks a timetable for return. This could be the opening T.Y. Hilton needs to claim the full-time No. 2 receiver job. Heyward-Bey versus Hilton is one of the biggest fantasy-impact battles of 2013 NFL training camps.

Rotoworld:

Darrius Heyward-Bey suffered a sprained left knee during Sunday's practice at Colts camp.
There aren't many details available, but Heyward-Bey had the knee wrapped post-practice and lacks a timetable for return. This could be the opening T.Y. Hilton needs to claim the full-time No. 2 receiver job. Heyward-Bey versus Hilton is one of the biggest fantasy-impact battles of 2013 NFL training camps.
Dude can't catch a break (intended).

I was there at camp when he injured it. It looked like he twisted it making a cut. He was iced and bandaged pretty heavily for the last half of practice.

I took photos as he was standing right in front of me watching 11/11 drills.

He was limping quite a bit.

Fire up the TY Hilton hype train?
It's not hype. He caught a long TD in 11/11 drills and is very open in most passing plays. This offense will be very effective this year and I see it being efficient. Pending DHBs status, I can see Fleener and Hilton running wide open in the middle.

Users who are viewing this thread