What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[DYNASTY] Darrius Heyward-Bey (2 Viewers)

Fire up the TY Hilton hype train?
It's not hype. He caught a long TD in 11/11 drills and is very open in most passing plays. This offense will be very effective this year and I see it being efficient. Pending DHBs status, I can see Fleener and Hilton running wide open in the middle.
Curious about why you think the offense will be 'very effective'.

Sounds to me like they're reverting to a more traditional run-based, 2 TE offense this year, which was what was worrying me about Hilton. Now that DHB is hopefully out of the way, I love Hilton, but don't see why this offense is being hyped as a whole. Seems pretty bland.

They will no be exclusive to the 2TE sets if camp is any indication. They have run more 3 WR/ 1 TE sets than anything. They could just be practicing this, I know.

What I do see is wen in 2 TE, Fleener is nearly unstoppable. And when 3/1TE, Hilton is WIDE open.

There are just too many weapons to cover except for the elite defenses, maybe.

As for the running game, I'm not sold on Bradshaw being healthy and/or Ballard being a game changer.

I also see the Colts schedule being much tougher than last season with the NFC West on the docket.

Therefore, I see little chance to salt away games with the run and having to pass because its your most effective weapon.

We (the Colts) may want to run but then reality sets in.

Let me add that I see DHB as a positive to Hilton's production not a hindrance.

I do see how you could be worried if you think the colts run 2TE primarily, however.

Let me add that I see DHB as a positive to Hilton's production not a hindrance.

I do see how you could be worried if you think the colts run 2TE primarily, however.
Yeah, as a Hilton owner, I don't like the fact that he may not see the field on 2 WR sets. If DHB is gone, that means more snaps and hopefully more looks each week. I don't think DHB really commands that much defensive attention away from Hilton when they're both on the field, so I'd love to see him jumped on the depth chart.

You know more than I do about the Colts though, so I hope you're right about them mixing things up on offense this year!

I can tell you this, in 3 WR sets, They were playing every WR in each offensive position, meaning they all got to play the X,Y,and Z.

Plus the colts were lining Fleener and/or Allen outside in that formation. Lots of creativity!

I see a lot of 28-21 games this season.

Come on. I mean I like the prospects of guys like Hilton and Fleener but this is a little over the top.

Wayne, DHB, Hilton, Fleener, Allen and Ballard isn't even close to being one of the best collection of skill position players in the league.

They should have a nice offense and I love Luck - and I also realize how easy it is to get excited as a fan - but lets pump the breaks a little.

Please don't take this as not appreciating the updates and your incites - I certainly do.

There are just too many weapons to cover

except for the elite defenses, maybe.
Come on. I mean I like the prospects of guys like Hilton and Fleener but this is a little over the top.

Wayne, DHB, Hilton, Fleener, Allen and Ballard isn't even close to being one of the best collection of skill position players in the league.

They should have a nice offense and I love Luck - and I also realize how easy it is to get excited as a fan - but lets pump the breaks a little.

Please don't take this as not appreciating the updates and your incites - I certainly do.
No worries. I guess time will tell.

Positives I see-

Luck and Fleener are both familiar with Pep

Hamilton.

Fleener is healthy and bigger entering the season this year.

DHB is a significant upgrade over Avery.

And Hilton was tough to cover last year AS A ROOKIE.

Add in an upgraded offensive line, WCO, possible improvement at RB and Defense.

The Colts were very active in FA.

Negatives-

Tougher schedule by far

There are just too many weapons to cover

except for the elite defenses, maybe.

No worries. I guess time will tell.

Positives I see-

Luck and Fleener are both familiar with Pep

Hamilton.

Fleener is healthy and bigger entering the season this year.

DHB is a significant upgrade over Avery.

And Hilton was tough to cover last year AS A ROOKIE.

Add in an upgraded offensive line, WCO, possible improvement at RB and Defense.

The Colts were very active in FA.

Negatives-

Tougher schedule by far
You're painting the change in offensive philosophy as a positive but I think it's a big negative. They lost Bruce Arians, a guy that transformed the Colts offense and is credited for revitalizing Wayne with his creativity. They had a big turnaround under him.

Now Arians' offense is gone and replaced by one that is much more old-school and traditional.

I know a lot of fans look at change as always being a good thing, but I think this was a big upgrade for Arizona and a big downgrade for Indy.

This is from a guy who is a fairly big Colts fan and would love to see them do well. I also can't stand the Cardinals.

RB is the missing link in their offense. Looking back at the '99 Colts with Peyton in his second year I think the current offense compares favorably except for RB.

Per Team Stream, DHB out indefinitely with strained knee.
ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported on NFL Insiders Monday that Darrius Heyward-Bey's left knee injury is an MCL sprain and he is expected to miss multiple weeks of practice.
"He's definitely gonna miss a lot of time here," said Mort. The injury is a major blow to Heyward-Bey's chances of keeping his first-team job opposite Reggie Wayne, where T.Y. Hilton is arguably more deserving of the position anyway. Move Hilton up fantasy cheatsheets, and downgrade Heyward-Bey's sleeper viability. DHB now figures to open the season as a mere situational deep threat in a 2013 Colts offense that'll use far fewer three-receiver sets.

Looks like DHB is practicing tonight:

Per George Bremer, Colts beat writer:

As @Coltsfanwilson points out, DHB is dressed for tonight's practice. #ColtsCamp

DHB running routes in individual work. Looks to be full-go. #ColtsCamp

Last edited by a moderator:

RB is the missing link in their offense. Looking back at the '99 Colts with Peyton in his second year I think the current offense compares favorably except for RB.
Wow really? Who is the Harrison of this group?

I'd say Reggie Wayne is.

Marvin= Reggie

Reggie= T.Y. Hilton

Fleener= Pollard/Clark

Wayne at 34 had better Rec and Yards numbers than Harrison at 34. He had 7 less TDs, but Harrison was playing with manning in his prime and Wayne with Luck as a rookie.

Hilton as a rookie crushed Wayne's numbers in either of his first 2 years.

I'd say Reggie Wayne is.

Marvin= Reggie

Reggie= T.Y. Hilton

Fleener= Pollard/Clark

Wayne at 34 had better Rec and Yards numbers than Harrison at 34. He had 7 less TDs, but Harrison was playing with manning in his prime and Wayne with Luck as a rookie.

Wayne wasn't on the team in '99, so it would be Wilkins = Hilton.

Fleener/Allen are also far more talented than Pollard/Clark.

Too bad they don't have an Edge.

I'd say Reggie Wayne is.

Marvin= Reggie

Reggie= T.Y. Hilton

Fleener= Pollard/Clark

Really confused. Harrison was just entering his prime in '99.

Rotoworld:

The Terre Haute Tribune-Star estimates Colts WR Darrius Heyward-Bey dropped five passes in Tuesday's practice.
Even for Heyward-Bey — who doesn't have mitts as much as stone tablets — that has to be some kind of record. The dismal practice comes on the heels of an uninspiring preseason opener, where DHB got boxed out on his lone target, nearly letting up a pick. We've been miffed at DHB's presence ahead of T.Y. Hilton on the depth chart, but it appears things will work themselves out. Short of Heyward-Bey getting hand transplants, there's no way around his inability to catch passes.

Related: T.Y. Hilton

Source: Tom James on Twitter

How about a little good news?

Luck completed 15 of 20 passes in the final practice of his second training camp. With veteran wide receiver Reggie Wayne taking the day off to rest, Darrius Heyward-Bey was the quarterback's favorite target with five receptions.
Second-year wide receiver T.Y. Hilton — the star of this year's camp — made three grabs, and tight end Coby Fleener had two catches including Luck's only touchdown toss.

How about a little good news?

Luck completed 15 of 20 passes in the final practice of his second training camp. With veteran wide receiver Reggie Wayne taking the day off to rest, Darrius Heyward-Bey was the quarterback's favorite target with five receptions.

Second-year wide receiver T.Y. Hilton — the star of this year's camp — made three grabs, and tight end Coby Fleener had two catches including Luck's only touchdown toss.
Pg 2...on 10 targets... ;) :D Just kidding!

(Rotoworld) Darrius Heyward-Bey caught four passes for 42 yards in the Colts' second preseason game Sunday night. Analysis: If Indy's current starting lineup holds into Week 1, Heyward-Bey is going to be a starter in an Andrew Luck-quarterbacked offense. He continues to run with the first team in two-receiver packages, opposite Reggie Wayne. DHB has struggled with drops in training camp practices, but he doesn't have any so far in the preseason. T.Y. Hilton is obviously the superior player, but Heyward-Bey is shaping up as a potential value pick in fantasy drafts.

(Rotoworld) Darrius Heyward-Bey caught four passes for 42 yards in the Colts' second preseason game Sunday night. Analysis: If Indy's current starting lineup holds into Week 1, Heyward-Bey is going to be a starter in an Andrew Luck-quarterbacked offense. He continues to run with the first team in two-receiver packages, opposite Reggie Wayne. DHB has struggled with drops in training camp practices, but he doesn't have any so far in the preseason. T.Y. Hilton is obviously the superior player, but Heyward-Bey is shaping up as a potential value pick in fantasy drafts.
Lol, Hilton is obviously the superior player yet he's behind DHB. I'd say they Are pretty similar players in ability. Hard to slice this one IMO.

Darrius Heyward-Bey Isn’t Just Dropping By

Al Davis had faith in him until the end, and now the former Raiders first-rounder is taking that to heart as he looks to establish himself in Indy

ANDERSON, In. — Was it a dropped pass? Difficult to say. Darrius Heyward-Bey had no right to be under that football, overthrown down the left sideline on Wednesday afternoon at Colts training camp. His undisputed track-star speed got him there, but his out-stretched fingers failed him. The crowd sighed. Right or wrong, reporters penned one more check in the drop column. Heyward-Bey frets not.

“I was surprised I even caught up to it,” he says after practice. “I dug, and I didn’t think I was going to get it, but I just threw my hands out there, hoping it would stick. Everybody was just surprised I got to it.”

Heyward-Bey prefers the big picture, overlooking a drop or two, and the media scrutiny that comes with each miscue. He remembers his four rough-and-tumble seasons in Oakland, and one of the few men whose opinion he valued. It was Jan. 2, 2010, when Al Davis phoned his first-round draft pick of the previous April with child-like excitement in his voice. The Raiders were 5-10 at the time, the ink not yet dry on a seventh consecutive losing season, and the 80-year-old team owner had begun to turn his focus to next year. Then, a realization: The Raiders would play against the AFC South next season, meaning they’d get a shot at the Indianapolis Colts, led by Peyton Manning, the game’s preeminent passer.

So Heyward-Bey got an unexpected call from his boss, the man who bucked popular opinion in drafting the University of Maryland wide receiver—previously thought unworthy of such a lofty selection—seventh overall in 2009. He had invested a large chunk of cash in the 22-year-old ($23.5 million guaranteed over five seasons) and wanted to share with the rookie who hadn’t caught more than two passes in a game all season his plans of sticking it to the great Peyton Manning in front of, hopefully, a primetime audience.

“He cared about his players a lot, and me and him had a very close relationship,” Heyward-Bey remembers. “This time he was just telling me how excited he was for the season, and for the fact that we were going to play Peyton Manning.

“He talked about that for like 30 minutes. About the Colts and Peyton Manning. He was like, We get a chance to play one of the best. That was cool, just hearing him get pumped up for that.”

Heyward-Bey is a member of Manning’s team now—only it isn’t Manning’s team anymore. . As Heyward-Bey knew when he embarked on free agency, the Colts belong to Andrew Luck, the second-year quarterback and No. 1 overall pick who helped deliver a playoff appearance as a rookie.

“The way he demands the offense to have a high tempo, you don’t want to disappoint him,” Heyward-Bey says of Luck. “When you have a quarterback who doesn’t have that presence, nobody else cares.”

When Heyward-Bey arrived in Oakland, Jamarcus Russell was the starting quarterback, and the man ahead of him on the wide receiver depth chart, Chaz Schilens, had a grand total of 15 career catches.

“I came in as a rookie with no veteran to learn from,” he says. “It was me. There was no easing into it. I was thrown into the fire.”

The breaks in his routes were sloppy, the routes themselves inconsistent, and worse, his hands were awful. He dropped more than 35% of the balls headed his way as a rookie. But as Oakland’s cast of new quarterbacks and coaches rolled through (seven QBs, three head coaches and four offensive coordinators in Heyward-Bey’s four years there) his reception numbers climbed and his drops diminished. He dropped 8% of the passes headed his way in 2011, according to Pro Football Focus, lower than the league average for the first time in his career.

Then, a regression in 2012, preceded by an April DUI and punctuated by one violent collision with Steelers safety Ryan Mundy during the third game of the season. Heyward-Bey’s chin met the crown of Mundy’s helmet on a deep middle route at the goal line, and the receiver blacked out completely. He was hospitalized for a night with a concussion but returned to the field three weeks later, in his words, unworried.

All things considered, it’s no surprise the Colts are reserving judgment on Heyward-Bey, in the form of a one-year deal. He’s now in a position battle for the No. 2 receiver job with T.Y. Hilton after the departure of free agent Donnie Avery. Essentially, the Colts swapped a slight speedster with iffy hands (Avery is 5-11, 200 pounds) for a larger speedster with iffy hands (Heyward-Bey: 6-2, 216). Offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton has already commented publicly on those hands, calling for more consistency. If this chance doesn’t pan out, there’s no telling where Heyward-Bey will end up next. But he refuses to view 2013 as an audition.

“I don’t even look at this opportunity as a long-term chance or an audition for another team,” he says. “I just look at it like, hey, this year is this year. Of course, I would love to have a job at the end of this year.”

One of Heyward-Bey’s new teammates can tell him what a shot in the arm a change of scenery can mean. Colts cornerback Vontae Davis knew Heyward-Bey when they were a pair of the fastest high-schoolers in the Washington, D.C., area as seniors. Both were high draft picks four years later, Davis going 18 picks after Heyward-Bey at No. 25 to the Dolphins. Neither completed his rookie contract with the team that drafted him, and neither played in a playoff game until Davis joined the Colts last season, when the jumped from 2-14 in 2011 to 11-5.

“With Darrius, it’s just like me,” Davis says. “I went to Miami, and that didn’t work out as well as I wanted it to. Coming on a team and getting that first playoff experience? It gives you a wake up call that when you put your full commitment in football, it can take you anywhere and anything can happen.”

Heyward-Bey will move on from the sting of an ultimately unsuccessful first NFL stop, if he hasn’t already, but he’s unlikely to ditch all of the memories. There’s still a raspy voice in his head, that of an earnest old man loathe to give up hope.

Says Heyward-Bey of Davis: “Until he died, he just kept on telling me how proud he was that I was getting better, and never be discouraged, and I never was, and never will be.”

Rotoworld:

Colts coach Chuck Pagano believes Darrius Heyward-Bey's confidence is "skyrocketing" after a drop-prone start to camp.
Pagano praised DHB's "consistency," which has always been a problem for him. This is a contract season for Heyward-Bey, who signed a one-year, $2.5 million "prove-it" deal in the offseason. For now at least, Heyward-Bey is locked in as Andrew Luck's starting Z receiver, with Reggie Wayne at X and slot. T.Y. Hilton only plays in three-receiver sets, where he's been lining up outside.

Source: Craig Kelley on Twitter

August 26, 2013

DHB's fresh start starts fast

By George Bremer The Herald Bulletin

ANDERSON — Darrius Heyward-Bey's first need was patience.

He was open Saturday night inside the Cleveland Browns' 5-yard line, but there was enough of a crowd in the vicinity to require a little extra focus. Any one of those fingers could jump out at a moment's notice and alter the flight the ball.

If he committed too early, that might cause the redirected pigskin to bounce off his own hands. And then the questions would begin again.

But the pass made it to him cleanly. He leapt and began to cradle it to his chest. At about the same time, Cleveland cornerback Joe Haden crashed into Heyward-Bey from behind and appeared to at least briefly get a hand on the ball.

No problem.

The wide receiver absorbed the blow, fought off Haden's last-ditch effort and came down with the reception at the 3-yard line.

It was just one soon-forgotten play during the second quarter of a game that didn't count. But it said a lot about the strides the fifth-year receiver has made in his first five months with the Indianapolis Colts.

He signed as a free agent in April, bringing along a reputation for dropped passes based primarily on his rookie season with the Oakland Raiders. The late Al Davis reached to draft Heyward-Bey with the seventh overall pick in 2009 — infatuated by his size (6-foot-2) and speed (4.23 seconds in the 40-yard dash) — and the Maryland product spent the next four years fighting to live up to the hype.

He caught 140 passes for 2,071 yards and 11 touchdowns in Oakland but never seemed to satisfy those lofty expectations. His Raiders career was filled with a rotating cast of quarterbacks, head coaches and offensive systems. And a lot of losses.

Oakland finished 25-39 during Heyward-Bey's tenure, and he was released in March as part of the franchise's ongoing search for salary cap relief. He said he followed his heart to Indianapolis, where he believes a rising young quarterback and history of success can help get his career back on track.

So far, so good.

With seven catches for 75 yards in his first three preseason games, Heyward-Bey slowly is erasing the doubts.

"Ever since I was about 1 year old, I've had confidence," he said Monday at the team's practice facility. "Each and every day, I just got to remind myself that I'm a good player and I can be good at what I do as long as I keep working. I got to wake up with that confidence. That's what I just got to remind myself."

Anyone who saw Heyward-Bey in training camp wouldn't think of questioning his work ethic.

He came out early before each afternoon practice — wearing a t-shirt and sporting headphones — to put in extra work on the JUGS machine. Sometimes quarterbacks coach Clyde Christensen would join him, pulling at his shirt or tugging at his arms as Heyward-Bey attempted to focus on the football.

When he'd had enough reps, Heyward-Bey hopped on a golf cart to return to the locker room and get ready for practice.

Veteran teammate Reggie Wayne — a future Hall of Fame candidate — spent much of the summer raving about the receiver known by his initials as DHB. Wayne believes Heyward-Bey has the physical tools to match some of the game's top wideouts — guys like Detroit's Calvin Johnson and Houston's Andre Johnson.

But there have always been questions about Heyward-Bey's hands. They've been the asterisk to his career thus far and part of the reason he's so willing to put in so much work.

Wayne said whatever happened in Oakland can stay in Oakland, and the Colts have welcomed DHB's fresh start with open arms.

"Anybody in here would tell you he's a great teammate, great personality and he works his butt off," quarterback Andrew Luck said. "His work ethic is very impressive. I think obviously Reggie sort of sets the tone in the wide receiver meeting rooms in terms of work ethic and preparation, and DHB fits right in. I think every day we've gotten a better connection, and he's done a great job so far."

The specter of dropped passes re-emerged early on in training camp, but Heyward-Bey quickly righted the ship. He finished work at Anderson University on a good note and has carried that momentum into the exhibition games.

Though new offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton has yet to unleash him on a deep route, DHB has proven to be effective on screens and intermediate passes. He's shown the toughness to fight for extra yards and even carried the ball once for 6 yards on an end-around.

There's a lot of work yet to be done before the reclamation process can be declared a success. But nobody's arguing with the early returns.

"I think his comfort level, obviously, with the quarterback and the offense and terminology helps, and then his confidence is skyrocketing," head coach Chuck Pagano said. "So it's great to see him making the progress that he is. He's got to be a big-time player for us this year."

I'd say Reggie Wayne is.

Marvin= Reggie

Reggie= T.Y. Hilton

Fleener= Pollard/Clark

:shock:

I'd say Reggie Wayne is.

Marvin= Reggie

Reggie= T.Y. Hilton

Fleener= Pollard/Clark

:shock:
so DHB is a hold now?

I'm thinking this is the best market an owner will have to sell him in. Pretty sure he is startable now due to the volume of looks he will get. Still doesn't catch the ball well and I feel his potential is maxed out. Get what you can fellas...

Rotoworld:

ESPN Colts blogger Mike Wells believes Reggie Wayne will be replaced "by committee," but considers Darrius Heyward-Bey now "technically the team's No. 1 receiver."
Behind Heyward-Bey and T.Y. Hilton, Wells believes it's "anyone's guess" as to whom the Colts will use as a No. 3 wideout. (LaVon Brazill and Griff Whalen are the likeliest competitors.) Coach Chuck Pagano has stated the Colts "plan to use (Heyward-Bey) the same way they've been using him all season," so perhaps Hilton will do more of the Wayne-type work at slot receiver. Heyward-Bey is worth rostering as a WR4/5 to see if his role expands.

Source: ESPN.com

Rotoworld:

Darrius Heyward-Bey averaged 2.5 catches per game before the Reggie Wayne injury and 1.8 after it.

Yes, Heyward-Bey has gotten even worse as the Colts have needed him more. He's suffered from his annual rash of drops, struggled to keep his footing at times and simply hasn't gotten open. However, the Colts have been hesitant to reduce his playing time because they don't have much trust in LaVon Brazill or Da'Rick Rogers. It's left Andrew Luck as a borderline QB1 at best heading into Sunday's game at Cincinnati.

Related: Andrew Luck

Source: Indianapolis Star

I don't think I've ever seen a worse NFL player receive such significant playing time. He looks horrible on the field if you watch the games but he's getting enough opportunity to be productive thus far - which is all fantasy owners care about I guess. However, those opportunities should start to dry up when Bryant comes back and if Coates shows any improvement.

I don't think I've ever seen a worse NFL player receive such significant playing time. He looks horrible on the field if you watch the games but he's getting enough opportunity to be productive thus far - which is all fantasy owners care about I guess. However, those opportunities should start to dry up when Bryant comes back and if Coates shows any improvement.
Huh, he's actually looked pretty good this year. He's easily looked like the Steelers 2nd best WR.

Pretty high catch rate right now - 75%, go figure. I thought for sure he was going to drop that TD pass from Vick on TNF.

Meanwhile Wheaton has been a huge disappointment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread