What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[DYNASTY] 2014 Rookie Draft Rankings (Pre-Combine Edition) (1 Viewer)

tdmills

Footballguy
Here's my work from last year: http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=676867&hl=

Note: My comparisons arent in connection with how the players career will turn out. Theyre in line with body type, athleticism, and on the field play. Comparisons are tough, so take them lightly.

1) Mike Evans 6-5 225 Texas A&M

2013- 69 1394 12

2012- 82 for 1105 5

Comparison: Brandon Marshall

What a difference a year can make! One year ago, I watched Mike Evans and saw a player that lost a lot of 50/50 balls with DBs due to a lack of being physical. This past season, he was an absolute monster and reminded me of how Brandon Marshall just physically dominates DBs in the NFL. The scariest part is Evans has a longer frame than Marshall and can pluck the ball out of the air with his strong hands.

Now Evans just isnt a huge WR that reaches over defenders, he actually has good athleticism and feet to be a WR. He has good sideline awareness and is solid after the catch. Most of the time he uses his long reach to stiff arm defenders, but he has some agility as well. One thing he needs to stop doing is dancing after the catch, make a decision and go because NFL defenses are quicker in pursuit. Evans needs to become a better route runner as well and this is my biggest concern for him because its more difficult for big WRs to sink their hips to get in/out of breaks. However, the sky is the limit with his potential.

FF wise: Evans has the highest ceiling in his class and could potentially be a top 5 WR. He does have some bust factor issues with being so big and not quick (BMW, Baldwin, etc), but I think theyre minimal.

2) Marqise Lee 6-0 195 USC

2013- 57 for 791 4

2012- 118 for 1721 14

2011- 73 for 1143 11

Comparison: Victor Cruz

Lee is a tough evaluation for many people because of his injury/inconsistent 2013 season. Is he the 2012 or 2013 player? I think its probably a little of both, but more so 2012. Actually it reminds me of how down people become on Alshon Jeffery after his junior year at South Carolina. The #1 thing that jumps off the screen about Lee is his competitive nature. He gets mad at himself, he talks with DBs, gets hyped up, etc. I like guys that compete and Lee shows it in many regards such as blocking that one wouldnt guess with his average frame. Lee is a good athlete, but hes not a burner. He has good speed, probably low 4.4s, but has good acceleration. I like his agility and ability to make defenders miss, Lee is a playmaker in this regard. He has a good feel on how to create space running routes and after the catch. However, he has negatives with this as well because sometimes he tries to do too much and loses yards or dances, which lets defenders flow in pursuit. Lee is a bit skinny and Id like him to bulk up a bit for the NFL. Despite his frame, he is tough in traffic and not afraid of going over the middle. He has good hands when he decides to use them and not body catch. He needs to improve his technique with catching because it leads to unnecessary drops.

FF wise: I think Lee can be a WR1 and may have the highest floor in this WR class.

3) Sammy Watkins 6-1 205 Clemson

2013- 101 for 1464 12

2012- 57 for 708 3

2011- 82 for 1219 12

Comparison: Torrey Smith

Sammy Watkins is a good football player, however hes not my WR1 in this class. While hes a fast player, hes not a burnerI would guess low 4.4s, I think he has good long speed though. Watkins has that good speed combined with solid size at 6-1. Hes not really a jump ball player, although he does catch the ball well outside of his frame and is a true hands catcher. I also have some reservations about his lateral agility being below average for a player being deemed a playmaker and not a jump ball guy. Watkins isnt a burner/jump ball/or make you miss type of WR, so who is he? I think thats a good question and tough to define because of his use at Clemson. 71% of his receptions in 2013 were within 5 yards of the LOS and 57% of his receptions in 2013 were screens. This provided Watkins with a limited route tree and experience at Clemson. Therefore, its tough to predict his NFL success. Also dont forget his off the field concerns (weed) for potential suspensions.

FF wise: He will be successful in the NFL, but his ceiling may be limited. I would guess Watkins lives between WR10-25 for a good portion of his career.

Big drop off after the top 3, not a big difference from player 4 to player 20.

4) Odell Beckham 6-0 187 LSU

2013- 59 for 1152 8

2012- 43 for 713 2

2011- 41 for 475 2

Comparison: Greg Jennings

I went into watching film on OBJ thinking he wasnt very good, but I came out impressed. This kid is polished and has only a few flaws in his game. Beckham is skinny and doesnt possess good size, however he doesnt appear weak on the field. He is quicker than fast, but still will run in the 4.4s and I give him a shot at turning in a Kenny Stills like 40 time(shocked he could run in the 4.3s). Good hands and does a great job extending out to meet the football, even in traffic. Stems defenders well in his routes and uses that quickness to get open. Beckham is good in the open field, however with his athletic ability I would expect more.

FF wise: I can see Beckham being a solid WR2 for a very long time.

5) Carlos Hyde 6-0 242 Ohio State

2013- 208 for 1521 7.3 15 TD, 16 rec for 147 3 TD

2012- 185 for 970 5.2 16 TD, 8 rec for 51 1 TD

2011- 106 for 566 5.3 6 TD, 10 rec for 73 0 TD

2010- 24 for 141 5.9 0 TD, none

Comparison: Alfred Morris

Hyde is a very big RB that has surprisingly nimble feet. Just as you would expect with a big RB, he runs hard and breaks tackles. He is always getting extra yardage after contact and wears down defenses. However, Hyde does also have decent agility and speed for a big RB. I would guess hes a low 4.5 player. Carlos is a patient RB that uses his blockers well, he has above average vision. He caught some passes at Ohio State and his hands dont look terrible, but Im not sure if he will be a 3 down RB at the next level. Hyde is a pretty good blocker, which Im sure his size helps in those situations.

FF wise: Hyde can be a RB2 for most of his career. I wouldnt classify Hyde as a special player, but he has the highest floor of any RB in this class.

6) Tre Mason 5-10 205 Auburn

2013: 317 for 1816 5.7 23 TD, 12 rec for 163 1 TD

2012: 171 for 1002 5.9 8 TD, 7 rec for 86 0 TD

2011: 28 for 161 5.8 1 TD, none

Comparison: Bigger/stronger LaMichael James with less speed

Mason had a special 3 game stretch that made him some money and got noticed. Tre Mason has unbelievable quickness that allows him to be a patient runner and hit the whole at near full speed. His quickness also lets him power through arm tackles because defenders arent expecting it. Mason runs very strong for a player his size; I wouldnt be surprised if he checks in shorter than 5-10. He lowers his shoulder, keeps his legs churning, and gains lots of yards after contact. His compact frame also allows him to bounce off of defenders. Masons agility is good and he can jump cut with the best of them. Hes not Lesean McCoy level agility, but hes one of the best in this class. Tre doesnt possess great speed despite his acceleration; I would guess hes high 4.4s to low 4.5s. He seems to plateau at a certain point and not have an extra gear. He wasnt used in the passing game much and is not a very good blocker, so I have some concerns about him being a 3 down RB at the next level.

FF wise: Masons value will depend on his measurables and how hes utilized. He could be a low end RB1 or a RBBC player.

7) Bishop Sankey 5-10 203 Washington

2013- 327 for 1870 5.7 20 TD, 28 rec 304 1 TD

2012- 289 for 1439 5.0 16 TD, 33 rec for 249 0 TD

2011- 89 for 187 6.7 1 TD, 6 rec for 14 0 TD

Comparison: Less explosive/agile Lesean McCoy

For a player his size, Sankey runs hard and breaks tackles. Hes only 203 pounds but plays as if hes 210 or 215. Now hes not Eddie Lacy here, but its impressive how hes not afraid of contact. Sankey is a slashing type of RB that has a quick first step that allows him to accelerate through holes and past defenders. He also uses that step to make defenders miss and to set up blocks. Sankey is good at gaining yardage after contact and is aware of where the 1st down marker is located. He also is a reliable pass catcher and will be a 3 down RB at the next level. Not afraid to pass block either. I think Sankey is a very underrated athlete.

FF wise: Low end RB1 to high end RB3, Sankey can handle a high volume of touches which is great for FF owners.

8) Eric Ebron 6-4 245 North Carolina

2013- 62 for 973 3

2012- 40 for 625 4

2011- 10 for 207 1

Comparison: Vernon Davis

Ebron is a special athlete at TE with good speed, great burst, and leaping ability. Im not expecting him to run in the 4.3s, but the 4.4s wouldnt surprise me and most likely low 4.5s. Ebron presents matchup problems and can make defenders miss after the catch. He uses his hands well to get open on his routes and will shield defenders to catch the football. Ebron has inconsistent hands and I question his concentration. He even has lapses in traffic where he wont extend to make the reception. Ebron is also a physical blocker thats not afraid of roughing it up in the trenches.

FF wise: TEs are hard to project, but Ebron is a TE1 candidate.

9) Kelvin Benjamin 6-5 234 Florida State

2013- 50 for 957 14

2012- 30 for 495 4

Comparison: Poor mans Calvin Johnson

Held back twice in HS, 23 years old. Doesnt have the most reliable hands and makes some critical drops. Benjamin has the highest ceiling of any WR in this draft. Benjamin looks like a Calvin Johnson clone due to his size and athletic ability. Benjamin has great length and does a good job of high pointing the football. He boxes out defenders and squares up to the quarterback well. Benjamin is still raw as a WR because hes only played two years in college and still needs to refine his craft(route running, using his hands in releases, become more consistent). While Benjamin has a high ceiling, he could also crash to earth and burn out like other big WRs David Terrell/Braylon Edwards/Charles Rodgers/Mike Williams.

FF wise: Benjamin could be a top 6 dynasty WR or he could be an NFL WR3 to out of the league in a few years.

10) Lache Seastrunk 5-10 210 Baylor

2013: 158 for 1177 7.4 11 TD, no receptions

2012: 131 for 1012 7.7 7 TD, 9 rec for 107 1 TD

Comparison: Michael Bennett

Seastrunk is an unbelievable athlete with great speed. If he has space, he can definitely go the distance. However, when he doesnt have space provided through great blocking, hes not going to do well in the NFL. Seastrunk, despite his thick lower body, has poor power running with the football. Ive seen Seastrunk brought down by too many arm tackles in the NCAA, its only going to get worse at the next level. He also lacks football instincts or the aggressive attitude needed to be a RB. He tries to run around everyone and that wont work at the next level. Seastrunk has a lot of work to do in the mentality of the RB, much like Reggie Bush needed. The vast space provided for Seastrunk is a byproduct of the spread offense Baylor runs, all of their RBs succeed in that offense. For being a speed RB, Seastrunk doesnt possess great agility; normally those two things would correlate for a RB prospect to be successful at the next level. Lastly, most speed RBs can catch the football, but Seastrunk has 9 career receptions in college and hes not a good blocker. I used to be alone on these boards discussing my concerns about Seastrunk last year, but now I think many have started to come around. Hes an athlete trying to play the RB position and needs a lot of work to his game.

FF wise: RB1 to RBBC player. Its all on Seastrunks development and usage in the NFL.

11) Jeremy Hill 6-2 235 LSU

2013: 203 for 1401 6.9 16 TD, 18 rec for 181 0 TD

2012: 142 for 755 5.3 12 TD, 8 rec for 73 0 TD

Comparison: Leveon Bell

Jeremy Hill will be carefully researched through this draft process because of his off field issues. However, people will also find out he improved quite a bit in one year. Hill improves his explosiveness, power, and agility in 2013. Hes a very big RB that is great between the tackles and converts short yardage opportunities. Hill is tough to tackle because hes so big and he uses his agility in short spaces. Hill is a much better RB inside the tackles than outside and I think its due to his decision making of dancing once hes outside the tackle. Whats interesting is that Hill did better job of making defenders miss in the secondary when running from between the tackles. That sparked lots of long runs in 2013 and I would say his 40 time improved to 4.55. Hill will be a productive NFL RB, however he will need a team to love him to become a 3 down RB. Just like what happened to Pittsburgh and Leveon Bell.

FF wise: Very fluid to Hill because a team needs to like him. RB2 to RB 3 for his career with a bump down in PPR leagues.

12) Davante Adams 6-2 212 Fresno State

2013- 131 for 1718 24

2012- 102 for 1312 14

Comparison: Less athletic Dwayne Bowe/Anquan Boldin

This was the toughest evaluation for me for many reasons. One, I havent watched a lot of Davante Adams. Next, he has a very limited route tree and catches mainly back shoulder balls or screens. Lastly, he rarely gets to top speed making it tough to evaluate his athleticism. Overall, I view Adams as a raw prospect that could be a good pro or be an afterthought. He isnt a fast athlete and I would guess hes a 4.6 player. It makes him a limited prospect down the field. He isnt sudden and therefore, doesnt run very good routes. Adams does have good size and he tracks the ball well in the air. He does make defenders miss, but I think he overestimates his athletic ability in this area. The one things Adams can do is make contested receptions and hes strong. Big hands that can snatch the ball out of the air and over defenders. If Adams is going to be a difference maker in the NFL, then he needs to get more physical and become an Anquan Boldin type. As of right now, I view him as an NFL WR2 possession guy in terms of a ceiling.

FF wise: Adams is a low end WR1 to out of the league type of gamble.

13) DeVonta Freeman 5-9 203 Florida State

2013: 173 for 1016 5.9 14 TD, 22 rec for 278 1TD

2012: 111 for 660 5.9 8 TD, 10 rec for 86 0 TD

2011: 120 for 579 4.8 8 TD, 15 rec for 111 0 TD

Comparison: Ahmad Bradshaw

Freeman is underrated at this point of the scouting process because he had to share so much time with other talented RBs. Freeman is short, but has some power in that frame with a thick lower body. Hes a very quick runner that can put his foot in the ground and leave defenders grasping at air. He isnt a jitter bug type of RB, but more of a 1 cut and go type. He doesnt have a whole lot of moves in his arsenal besides his one cut, but man is it effective. He does a nice job of being patient and following his blockers. Then he utilizes his quickness and agility to speed through the defense. Freeman has some power, but that isnt his forte. He has solid hands and can be utilized in the passing game. Hes not a great blocker, but he puts in a lot of effort in this area and I dont deem it as a negative.

FF wise: Freeman could be a high end RB2 if he gets the right fit or he could just be a committee player

14) Brandin Cooks 5-10 186 Oregon State

2013- 128 for 1730 16

2012- 67 for 1151 5

2011- 31 for 391 3

Comparison: Less quick Antonio Brown

If you want to discount Brandin Cooks due to his size, I quickly want to ask your thoughts on Steve Smith, although he isnt my comparison for Cooks. Just like Smith, Cooks gets the most out of his frame and isnt afraid to get physical with defenders. He evens wins jump balls because hes good at tracking the football. I like his catch radius for his size and he snatches the ball out of the air. Cooks runs great routes and uses his hands well to get free, however he can get eaten up by longer DBs at times. Cooks is quick, fast, and elusive on the field. But I dont want people to compare him to Tavon Austin or Antonio Brown because hes a notch below them. However, hes still a good athlete and a more complete football player than his former teammate Markus Wheaton.

FF wise: low end WR2 to NFL WR3, depends on his landing spot

15) Jace Amaro 6-5 260 Texas Tech

2013- 106 for 1352 7

2012- 25 for 409 4

2011- 7 for 57 2

Comparison: Kyle Rudolph

Amaro was used almost exclusively as a slot WR at Texas Tech. Scouting the TE position isnt easy because their FF value is tied to how a team utilizes them, but now add in he was rarely an inline TE and its not easy. Amaro is a big target, but has a little extra on his frame. It would go a long way for him to trim up before the combine. Amaro isnt very fast or quick, in terms of athletic ability. However, he is a good route runner despite his tools. Although, hes lazy as a route runner at times, this can make it easy for defenders to take him out of the play. Amaro is a finesse TE and avoids contact/doesnt use his hands well during his routes.

FF wise: If he lands with a great situation low end TE1, more than likely TE2 for his career

16) KaDeem Carey 5-10 196 Arizona

2013: 349 for 1885 5.4 19 TD, 26 rec for 173 1 TD

2012: 303 for 1929 6.4 23 TD, 36 rec for 303 1 TD

2011: 91 for 425 4.7 6 TD, 15 rec for 203 2 TD

Comparison: Knowshon Moreno

KaDeem Carey is a minus athlete that doesnt possess great size, but he succeeds due to his vision and cutting ability. Carey is a slasher that does a great job of finding the hole and hitting it with everything hes got. Hes a tough runner that fights for extra yardage by spinning and keeping his legs moving. In the open field, Carey possesses good cutting ability to make a defender miss. However, his speed is limited and he gets caught from behind. Carey also has good hands and is a decent player on screen plays due to his vision to set up blockers. Carey is never going to be a RB1 in FF and his ceiling is a RB2 if everything works on perfectly. I see him as more of a committee guy at the next level.

FF wise: low end RB2 to RBBC

17) Allen Robinson 6-3 210 Penn State

2013- 97 for 1432 6

2012- 77 for 1018 11

2011- 3 for 29 0

Comparison: Less athletic Michael Crabtree

I was left wanting more after watching film on Robinson, underwhelming and inconsistent. Robinson reminds me of a less athletic Michael Crabtree(which I think is the lowest athletically a WR1 can be in FF). Robinson is a notch below Crabtree and I question his ability to ever be a WR1 on an NFL team, much less on FF team. I would peg Robinson as a 4.55 type of player, which isnt good for a player that doesnt use his size. Robinson isnt quick enough in and out of his breaks, which make him a below average route runner. For a player with his frame, he can get eaten up by smaller DBs because he doesnt use his hands well during his routes. Robinson also gets very high before he breaks off in a route, which is a big tip off for a DB. He isnt consistent on using his 6-3 frame to his advantage in high pointing the football or boxing out defenders. At times, Robinson can make defenders miss, however hes not consistent in this area. For those that want to point out his two good plays versus Ohio State, please note that the score was 56-7/63-7 and Im sure 2nd or 3rd string defenders were in the game.

FF wise: WR3 to worse

18) Martavis Bryant 6-5 200 Clemson

2013- 42 for 828 7

2012- 10 for 305 4

2011- 9 for 221 2

Comparison: More explosive Justin Hunter

Welcome to this years height/speed freak at WR. At 6-5, Bryant has a very long frame and he will run in the 4.3s at the combine. His production at Clemson was never great, but he always showed glimpses and hes raw. Weve seen this story before in: Matt Jones, Stephen Hill, Justin Hunter, Demaryius Thomas, Charles Johnson, and Alex Bannister(for the older crowd). The NFL loves these guys, but how will he develop and refine his game? Bryant is skinny and needs to add some strength to his frame. He needs to work on being consistent in his jump ball skills and using his size to his advantage. Route running is below average because he ran mostly 9 routes at Clemson, which I dont blame them. Hands are only average because at times he can pluck the football and other times it looks like he fights the football, however theyre not terrible. He hasnt put it all together yet, but if he doeswatch out.

FF wise: WR1 to NFL WR4

19) Jordan Matthews 6-3 206 Vanderbilt

2013- 112 for 1477 7

2012- 94 for 1323 8

2011- 41 for 778 5

2010- 15 for 181 4

Matthews is like the Matt Forte of WRs in this class, nothing fancy about his game but he gets it done. Hes not great at any one thing, but good at everything. This in turn makes the leading WR in SEC history an underrated player entering the draft. Matthews is good at plucking the ball outside of his long frame and has reliable hands with the occasional drop. He runs good routes and has sneaky speed in the 4.4 range. While Jordan is a tough player that isnt afraid to come over the middle or catch the ball in traffic, he needs to add weigh to his skinny frame and strength to ward off defenders in the NFL. If he can add another 10 pounds and increase his strength, I see no reason he couldnt be an Eric Decker/Stevie Johnson type WR in the NFL.

FF wise: WR2 to WR4, I think Mathews is a pretty safe player to take in the 2nd round.

20) Donte Moncrief 6-3 226 Ole Miss

2013- 59 for 938 6

2012- 66 for 979 10

2011- 31 for 454 4

Comparison: Rueben Randle

Body catches in situations he should extend his hands out to receive the football. Sneaky athlete that is smooth, so it looks like he isnt very explosive. I worry about a limited route tree with Moncrief because hes always playing as a split end and runs a lot of hitchs/comebacks. He is good at press release and setting up defenders with his route running. In a loaded WR class, Moncrief is flying under the radar and is the most underrated at this point.

FF wise: WR2 to WR4 landing spot will matter with him

21) Johnny Manziel 6-1 210 Texas A&M

2013: 300/429 69.9% 4114 37/13, 144 for 759 9 TD

2012: 295/434 68% 3708 26/9, 201 for 1410 21 TD

Comparison: Steve Young

Manziel has been a highly publicized figure the last two seasons for good and bad. In the end, I think hes a damn good football player. He can beat defenses by throwing, buying time to throw, and by running. Hes a smart player in using matchups to his advantage and his arm strength is average. He has good accuracy and I think he improved as a passer in 2013. Hes a very good runner but doesnt take the big hits(not like RGIII) and will gobble up FF points that way.

FF wise: Ceiling is mid QB1 to low QB2. Drafting FF QBs is tough because only 12 are needed, thats why he has a low ranking.

22) Marion Grice 6-0 204 Arizona State

2013: 191 for 996 5.2 14 TD, 50 rec for 438 6 TD

2012: 103 for 679 6.6 11 TD, 41 rec for 425 8 TD

2011/2010: Juco

Comparison: Danny Woodhead

Grice regressed in 2013 as others(Hill/Hyde/Mason) improved. Grice is a slashing type RB with good speed and agility. He lowers his shoulder to finish off runs, but power isnt his game. Grice is a great receiving RB with good hands. I could see him immediately becoming a 3rd down RB as he develops lower body strength. Grice needs to work on being more decisive and his vision as well. I feel that is another area he regressed in 2013. Grice has decent speed, but generally appears to have one gear and needs to work on his explosiveness. Grice will be in a RBBC to start with in the NFL until the rest of his game develops.

FF wise: RB2 to RBBC committee. Grice could be a PPR monster like Woodhead/Sproles, but he needs to be more consistent and gain more explosiveness.

23) Charles Sims 6-0 213 West Virginia

2013: 208 for 1095 5.3 11 TD, 45 rec for 401 3 TD

2012: 142 for 851 6.0 11 TD, 37 rec for 373 3 TD

2011: 110 for 821 7.5 9 TD, 51 rec for 575 4 TD

2009: 132 for 698 5.3 9 TD, 70 rec for 759 1 TD

Sims has a little bit of a history here: Redshirted his sophomore year at Houston, transferred to West Virginia prior to last year, and is already 23 years old.

Comparison: Demarco Murray

Sims is an explosive athlete that can score if he has a lane. However, he doesnt have a lot of creativity to his game and limited vision. Sims has become better as the years have gone on in terms of RB instincts, but hes limited in that regard. He has a long stride; therefore he has issues with short area quickness and agility. Now he can still make defenders miss, but it takes away his momentum and more steps to accomplish the task. This allows for more defenders to flow to the ball and limits the gain. Sims is a converted WR and is a good pass catcher. Sims has poor lower body strength and it limits his yards after contact as well. Sims needs to be in the right system to become relevant at the next level.

FF wise: Put him in the perfect situation RB2, otherwise he could be out of the league in a couple of years.

24) Paul Richardson 6-1 170 Colorado

2013- 83 for 1343 10

2011- 39 for 555 5

2010- 34 for 514 6

Comparison: Bernard Berrian

Richardson is extremely explosive down the field and takes the top off of defenses. Due to his strength, he wasnt exposed to a very large route tree in college because Im guessing they wanted him to run the 9 route. One major concern is his frame because hes very thin. He does a good job on press releases by utilizing his explosiveness to get by defenders at the line and during his route. Richardson also does a good job of this when stemming defenders and it sets up big plays in the passing game. He is willing to sacrifice his body to go get a football in traffic, although its probably not the best idea given his size. He also has good leaping ability and hands, which extends his catch radius. I can away very impressed with Richardson, but he will be limited to an NFL WR2.

FF wise: perfect situation low end WR2 to NFL WR4

Best of the rest:

QBs-

Teddy Bridgewater Louisville Not dynamic enough to be a QB1 off the bat.

Blake Bortles Central Florida- Will greatly depend on situation for him to be successful

RBs-

Antonio Andrews Western Kentucky Really like him, but top end speed is limited. Very dynamic and versatile player.

Andre Williams Boston College Very overrated, big RB that has limited lateral agility(TJ Duckett)

James White Wisconsin Could be a sneaky change of pace guy, good production

Silas Redd USC Late pick stash if he could get healthy, slashing type RB.

James Wilder Florida State Late round stash if he gets in a great situation. Power RB that tries to run over everyone

David Fluellen Toledo I like him a lot, just a limited athlete.

Damien Williams Oklahoma Average player

WRs-

Jarvis Landry LSU Good hands, but average athletedime a dozen in the league without size.

Brandon Coleman Rutgers- Great size at 6-6, but limited agility and short area burst. Sneaky speed

Mike Davis Texas I like Davis, just a guy though. Could be a sneaky WR2 for an NFL team

Jared Abbearius Wisconsin- Limited athlete, but like him. He could have 400 career receptions in the NFL.

Austin Franklin New Mexico- Explosive player, keep an eye on him.

Cody Hoffman BYU- Big frame and production, but inconsistent

Cody Latimer Indiana- Good production and size/speed. Need to see more plays made though.

Chris Boyd Vanderbilt- Good athlete, but character concerns

TE-

Austin Seferian-Jenkins Washington Hes a big guy thats a decent athlete, very overrated

Troy Niklas Notre Dame Sleeper thats climbing charts.but its tough to be FF relevant at TE

Colt Lyerla Oregon Good athlete, would be a move TE, but character concerns.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice attempt. I know it takes quite a bit of thought to put something like this together. I'll wait until at least after the Super Bowl to comment and correct your work : )

I look forward to the discussion that this will generate.

Nice post. And great work last year. Idk how I missed that thread.

Replace Donte Moncrief with Cody Latimer.

I liked Paul Richardson early on, but he's moving down in my rankings.

lbouchard said:
Good read. Can't get behind Jordan Matthews that low though.
Part of this is the depth of this rookie class, it's amazing. Mathews also had a below average week at the Senior Bowl. With all that said, I like him more as an NFL WR than FF.

Good posting.

My :2cents:

Evans is too high. I wouldn't rank him higher than the 4th receiver. Although he may have more upside, Watkins, Beckham and Lee have much more assurance. There's a lot of questions as to whether Evans has the quickness to run effective routes.

I agree with you about Brandin Cooks size having less concern people imply, but you rank him as if his size is a large consideration. Why else would you have him below guys he out-produced in college? If we discuss wide receivers, in my opinion he should rank higher than Kelvin Benjamin, and Davante Davis at least. And there's not a huge difference between Cooks and the top of the class, if at all. He's better than Austin, in the same class as Antonio Brown, Steve Smith is his upside.

Evans is too high. I wouldn't rank him higher than the 4th receiver. Although he may have more upside, Watkins, Beckham and Lee have much more assurance. There's a lot of questions as to whether Evans has the quickness to run effective routes.

I agree with you about Brandin Cooks size having less concern people imply, but you rank him as if his size is a large consideration. Why else would you have him below guys he out-produced in college? If we discuss wide receivers, in my opinion he should rank higher than Kelvin Benjamin, and Davante Davis at least. And there's not a huge difference between Cooks and the top of the class, if at all. He's better than Austin, in the same class as Antonio Brown, Steve Smith is his upside.
not that i disagree, but Evans is only 20. His upside is insane. gambling on a true difference maker in FF is usually worth the risk, especially considering he might be available at pick 5-7 in many rookie drafts.

ILUVBEER99 said:
I love your draft threads, nice work
I see so many holes in your rankings it is ridiculous.... So you hit on Keenan Allen last year... No wonder why... You are so high on WRs... I am NOT impressed!

ILUVBEER99 said:
I see so many holes in your rankings it is ridiculous.... So you hit on Keenan Allen last year... No wonder why... You are so high on WRs... I am NOT impressed!
they aren't my rankings but he did a nice job and it's a great thread. no problem with disagreeing with his rankings but at least respect the work he put in.

ILUVBEER99 said:
Brewtown, why are you such an #######? This is a forum for people to share opinions. I may disagree with a few things, but would never post your awful comments. If you can't respect people's time and effort maybe you should just not post on FBGuys forums. It's really disrespectful.

ILUVBEER99 said:
they aren't my rankings but he did a nice job and it's a great thread. no problem with disagreeing with his rankings but at least respect the work he put in.
Well said. I, for one, appreciate the time he put into the work.

ILUVBEER99 said:
Brewtown, why are you such an #######? This is a forum for people to share opinions. I may disagree with a few things, but would never post your awful comments. If you can't respect people's time and effort maybe you should just not post on FBGuys forums. It's really disrespectful.
Stay classy Captain America...

Sorry about your team. You should make it a general rule not to post on these boards just hours after your team gets CLOCKED in the Super Bowl. Your frustration really shows in your comments.

I don't care if your Pope John Paul II or Mother Theresa - if you have Odell Beckum as your #4 Rookie Dynasty Prospect in this stacked class..... I'm going to give you a piece of my mind!

Cooks is not nearly as physical as Steve Smith was in his prime.

Go look up Seastrunk's YPC running between the tackles and he also ran more between the tackles than in "open space". Perhaps you should also read another thread that talks about his very good ability to break tackles. Nice thread, but you couldn't be further off than you are with Seastrunk.

I can't see Ka'Deem Carey that low on the totem pole. My favorite RB in this class right now. Love the read though.

I don't think Evans has the mobility to be Marshall and won't be a PPR monster. I see VJax with a little less speed. He could still be a TD machine and WR1. He has a little bit of Gronkness in how he just rumbles over DBs in some cases.

At this point I like Watkins more. I think he has a lot more polish than Torrey. If he can be Torrey and just blow away people with athleticism, and add solid possession skills then I think the upside is still pretty high.

Go look up Seastrunk's YPC running between the tackles and he also ran more between the tackles than in "open space". Perhaps you should also read another thread that talks about his very good ability to break tackles. Nice thread, but you couldn't be further off than you are with Seastrunk.
"Between the tackles" in Baylor's (and Oregon's) spread offense isn't the same as in a more traditional offense such as Stanford, Wisconsin, Alabama, etc.

My list is coming in about a week.

I have Evans lower. Seastrunk and Hill in the top 3 RBs with Hyde. Sankey at the bottom of my 2nd tier (around 15-20) and Robinson about 10-12 spots higher.

Bryant and Grice unranked. Andre Williams quite a bit higher (13-16). I like Beckham as an NFL player, but don't know about his FF value. I've got him around 15-16.

I don't think the Crabtree comparison really captures the essence of Robinson's style at WR. He's built like Reggie Wayne/AJ Green/Keenan Allen and he plays somewhat like those guys. Quicker than fast with good fluidity and suddenness in his routes. I don't know if he's going to be a true #1 in the NFL, but I see him being successful. Career outlook somewhere between Eric Decker and Reggie Wayne.

Stay classy Captain America...

Sorry about your team. You should make it a general rule not to post on these boards just hours after your team gets CLOCKED in the Super Bowl. Your frustration really shows in your comments.

I don't care if your Pope John Paul II or Mother Theresa - if you have Odell Beckum as your #4 Rookie Dynasty Prospect in this stacked class..... I'm going to give you a piece of my mind!
Hey, Jim Rome, Jr--awesome analysis here. Wicked take. Your piece of mind thus far is about as valuable as a piece of Enron.

Offer some real insights, or respect the efforts of your betters. Short of that you look like... well, you, I guess.

Below are my pre-combine positional rankings:

Running Backs

1- Jeremy Hill

2- Bishop Sankey

3- Ka'Deem Carey

4- Tre Mason

5- Carlos Hyde

6- Lache Seatrunk

7- Devonta Freeman

8- Isaiah Crowell

9- Charles Sims

10- Andre Williams

11- Terrence West

12- Storm Johnson

13- James Wilder Jr

14- James White

15- Antonio Andrews

16- Kapri Bibbs

17- Marion Grice

18- De'Anthony Thomas

19- George Atkinson III

20- Damien Williams

Wide Receivers

1- Sammy Watkins

2- Marquise Lee

3- Mike Evans

4- Kelvin Benjamin

5- Allen Robinson

6- Jordan Matthews

7- Brandin Cooks

8- Paul Richardson

9- Odell Beckham Jr

10- Jarvis Landry

11- Brandon Coleman

12- Davante Adams

13 Cody Hoffman

14- Donte Moncreif

15- Jered Abbrederis

TE

1- Eric Ebron

2- Austin Seferian-Jenkins

3- Jace Amaro

4- Richard Rodgers

5- Troy Niklas

QB

1- Johnny Manziel

2- Teddy Bridgewater

3- Blake Bortels

Observations:

*There is not much separating the top 6 RBs right now. Each of the top 6 that I've listed I'm very confident will be successful NFL backs. This is a very good year if you need a running back. The combine and NFL location will help cement the order for Dynasty Rookie Drafts.

*Wide Receiver position is also very deep and talented.

*TE is very top heavy. I feel great about the top 3 TEs listed and like Rodgers quite a bit.

*QB offers 3 decent options. I think Johnny Football is going to be a great NFL QB.

*Ive been doing Dynasty Rookie Drafts for the last 13 years and I have never seen so much fantasy talent in any of the previous Rookie Drafts that I've participated in.

Below are my pre-combine positional rankings:

Running Backs

1- Jeremy Hill

2- Bishop Sankey

3- Ka'Deem Carey

4- Tre Mason

5- Carlos Hyde

6- Lache Seatrunk

7- Devonta Freeman

8- Isaiah Crowell

9- Charles Sims

10- Andre Williams

11- Terrence West

12- Storm Johnson

13- James Wilder Jr

14- James White

15- Antonio Andrews

16- Kapri Bibbs

17- Marion Grice

18- De'Anthony Thomas

19- George Atkinson III

20- Damien Williams

Wide Receivers

1- Sammy Watkins

2- Marquise Lee

3- Mike Evans

4- Kelvin Benjamin

5- Allen Robinson

6- Jordan Matthews

7- Brandin Cooks

8- Paul Richardson

9- Odell Beckham Jr

10- Jarvis Landry

11- Brandon Coleman

12- Davante Adams

13 Cody Hoffman

14- Donte Moncreif

15- Jered Abbrederis

TE

1- Eric Ebron

2- Austin Seferian-Jenkins

3- Jace Amaro

4- Richard Rodgers

5- Troy Niklas

QB

1- Johnny Manziel

2- Teddy Bridgewater

3- Blake Bortels

Observations:

*There is not much separating the top 6 RBs right now. Each of the top 6 that I've listed I'm very confident will be successful NFL backs. This is a very good year if you need a running back. The combine and NFL location will help cement the order for Dynasty Rookie Drafts.

*Wide Receiver position is also very deep and talented.

*TE is very top heavy. I feel great about the top 3 TEs listed and like Rodgers quite a bit.

*QB offers 3 decent options. I think Johnny Football is going to be a great NFL QB.

*Ive been doing Dynasty Rookie Drafts for the last 13 years and I have never seen so much fantasy talent in any of the previous Rookie Drafts that I've participated in.
Copy/paste

Well said. I, for one, appreciate the time he put into the work.
It took hundreds of hours watching film...thank you

I don't think Evans has the mobility to be Marshall and won't be a PPR monster. I see VJax with a little less speed. He could still be a TD machine and WR1. He has a little bit of Gronkness in how he just rumbles over DBs in some cases.

At this point I like Watkins more. I think he has a lot more polish than Torrey. If he can be Torrey and just blow away people with athleticism, and add solid possession skills then I think the upside is still pretty high.
I don't disagree. Evans is like Marshall in physical nature on the field, not in quickness.

Watkins is more polished than Torrey, the comparisons aren't perfect.

"Between the tackles" in Baylor's (and Oregon's) spread offense isn't the same as in a more traditional offense such as Stanford, Wisconsin, Alabama, etc.
Thanks xue, that's part of it too. Seas trunk lacks consistent vision, gets brought down by arm tackles, and has average agility...not a great combo for between the tackles. It works for a super spread team with 5 defenders on the box.

I truly believe if seastrunk was .2 slower, he would go undrafted.

Austin Seferian-Jenkins Washington Hes a big guy thats a decent athlete, very overrated

How can this size/athlete combo be over-rated? Isn't that what you look for?

Some good thought provoking info. Do not agree with all, but thats the beauty of a persons rankings, they are all different. Nice job. The comparing of Mason to James is something I do not agree with.

Dude is one of the best collegiate blocking TEs I have ever seen. Good set of hands but not the greatest route runner. His upside is great and his chances of being an almost every down player on an NFL field are even better since he can block.

Isaiah Crowell

Storm Johnson

What are your thoughts on these two? I like both of their chances of being effective NFL starters.

Crowell was a 5-star recruit who produced in the SEC and was Freshman of the year.

From the few games I saw Storm play this year he was very effective and has nice size.

Some good thought provoking info. Do not agree with all, but thats the beauty of a persons rankings, they are all different. Nice job. The comparing of Mason to James is something I do not agree with.
Thank you. Again, comparisons aren't perfect. I think Mason/ James are alike in great quickness mainly.

Was going to mention the same things. Seastrunk seems like he could be the real deal. It's almost like guys are trying to push him further down the draft board and I have no idea why. Dude is fast and agile. Had more missed tackle than Hyde and some of the other bigger guys. Think he had like a 4.8 YPC between the tackles, so no issue there. Ok, so he didn't catch a ton of passes, but no RB at Baylor did. Seems like they just don't use the RB as a receiving threat in that offense. Doesn't mean he won't be able to do that in the NFL.

Dude is one of the best collegiate blocking TEs I have ever seen. Good set of hands but not the greatest route runner. His upside is great and his chances of being an almost every down player on an NFL field are even better since he can block.
To be FF start able at te in most leagues you have to be top 12...32 tes start. He has to be a difference maker and I don't see that in asj. It's one thing to be good in college, but another to be one in the league.

Users who are viewing this thread