What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

COVID-19 - schools K-12 (1 Viewer)

What % of the population is that?  Teachers are the key to stimulating the economy now?
I only named one profession. You acted like there wouldn't be any. What about all the office workers going back into the office who have been working from home? My office may be opening after Labor Day.

I only named one profession. You acted like there wouldn't be any. What about all the office workers going back into the office who have been working from home? My office may be opening after Labor Day.
Because schools are open, or it's just opening because where you are cases are flattening?

Yet you were referencing a NY Post article I posted and disagreed with a NYers opinion that you quoted.
Dude, it's late.  

ETA: and that doesn't mean I remember where everybody is from, and I guess I don't look at people's info on their avatar much.  

Last edited by a moderator:
@gianmarco  @Terminalxylem

As I mentioned, we have to decide by next Friday about whether to send our kids back to school or let them do remote learning.  If my kids go, they will be in masks.  I won't put you on the spot about whether kids should go back to school - I understand there's a lot of factors and most of them are either personal (health of someone's kids) or regional (how are things going with the virus in our area).  But I do have a specific question about the masks.  If you were sending your kid to school - what mask/face covering/PPE would you use and maybe recommend to folks?  We have just basic cloth masks that each of them use now but I think we should get something better for them.

And obviously chime in on kids going to school if you have thoughts you want to share.

3.6 million teachers. Plus 1.8 million for non teaching employees of schools. 

A ton of jobs getting food to these schools. It's really significant. 
Also, teachers had their jobs if it's online or not.  I would assume that goes for a lot the admin people too.    Many schools still offered the meals last year because they realize that is a main source of nutrition for some kids.    So IMO you are overestimating the # of jobs opening up by schools starting up in person.  

Also, teachers had their jobs if it's online or not.  I would assume that goes for a lot the admin people too.    Many schools still offered the meals last year because they realize that is a main source of nutrition for some kids.    So IMO you are overestimating the # of jobs opening up by schools starting up in person.  
I hate to say it, but there are a lot of districts that I know of here in NJ that have let teachers go, mostly by non-renewing non-tenured teachers. A lot of that is due to a substantial drop in tax collections thanks to businesses slowing or closing right now. A whole lot of aides and admin people being let go as well. 

I say that at the same time knowing how many teachers are afraid to go back to work because of just how many people they’ll be exposed to. It’s going to be a nightmare no matter what decision is made. There are no good decisions in this situation, just potentially less bad ones.

I feel for all the Districts out there having to make these decisions. In NJ there was a 120 page guidance document released for schools. Basically it’s a huge list of tons of options regarding most situations/activities. Each school district must now use that document to create a plan for their District and submit that plan to the State. The options are pretty wide ranging so it’s not like they’re just signing off on the State’s recommendations. What school’s Board of Ed/superintendent/Business Admin, etc have the qualifications or expertise to do this? They’re all freaking out. They’re all basically doing the same thing right now and looking to every other school to see what they’re doing so they can copy it, only every other school is doing the same thing. Or they’re looking to companies like mine that do environmental/industrial hygiene consulting hoping that we’ll help write it for them, but the smart consultants are staying away from taking on the liability of being the sole one responsible for a District’s plan.

@gianmarco  @Terminalxylem

As I mentioned, we have to decide by next Friday about whether to send our kids back to school or let them do remote learning.  If my kids go, they will be in masks.  I won't put you on the spot about whether kids should go back to school - I understand there's a lot of factors and most of them are either personal (health of someone's kids) or regional (how are things going with the virus in our area).  But I do have a specific question about the masks.  If you were sending your kid to school - what mask/face covering/PPE would you use and maybe recommend to folks?  We have just basic cloth masks that each of them use now but I think we should get something better for them.

And obviously chime in on kids going to school if you have thoughts you want to share.
Cloth masks tend to be more comfortable, and stylish (for a lack of a better word), so I’d find something they like and use it, ideally multilayer (usually 3) cotton +/- filter (unclear benefit). 

And I’d mentally prepare for in-person school to stop and start multiple times.

our local school district has been spending the past couple of weeks soliciting options and opinions from residents. I've actually been pretty impressed because this area is really #justaflubro land, full of anti-maskers.   Three options have been proposed:  full-time in-person school, all on-line, or a hybrid approach.  I believe the in-person and on-line options could be chosen by parents.  The hybrid is my favorite: the thought is in school for one week, on-line for two weeks.  This ensures that the schools are actually at 1/3rd capacity whenever kids are in-person.  This makes sense, and I think it completely doable and a pretty damn good compromise.

But, this is South Carolina.  We are run by #justaflubro politicians taking cues from President #justaflubro.  The state legislature is holding $210M from local school districts that want a virtual option and don't open when they want to.  This goes against recommendations from DHEC (department of health and environmental control) and Department of Education.

This makes me ill.  forcing kids (my kids) into face-to-face learning, against advice from DHEC, Department of Education, CDC, etc, in the middle of a pandemic to score political points - this should be criminal.  

If you are curious how we are doing as a state, not well.  We don't have the population of Florida so we don't get the huge numbers, but we are spiking just like they are.

My wife and I are going to try a few mask options on the kids to see what works best, most comfortable.  I've yet to have to wear a mask for more than a half hour.  Couldn't imagine trying to get kids to keep one on for hours at a time.  Always going to be a bunch of stealthycats too that no matter what just won't do it.    

our local school district has been spending the past couple of weeks soliciting options and opinions from residents. I've actually been pretty impressed because this area is really #justaflubro land, full of anti-maskers.   Three options have been proposed:  full-time in-person school, all on-line, or a hybrid approach.  I believe the in-person and on-line options could be chosen by parents.  The hybrid is my favorite: the thought is in school for one week, on-line for two weeks.  This ensures that the schools are actually at 1/3rd capacity whenever kids are in-person.  This makes sense, and I think it completely doable and a pretty damn good compromise.

But, this is South Carolina.  We are run by #justaflubro politicians taking cues from President #justaflubro.  The state legislature is holding $210M from local school districts that want a virtual option and don't open when they want to.  This goes against recommendations from DHEC (department of health and environmental control) and Department of Education.

This makes me ill.  forcing kids (my kids) into face-to-face learning, against advice from DHEC, Department of Education, CDC, etc, in the middle of a pandemic to score political points - this should be criminal.  

If you are curious how we are doing as a state, not well.  We don't have the population of Florida so we don't get the huge numbers, but we are spiking just like they are.
That's disgusting. 

We just read a local report that almost 2/3rds of the teachers in our district do not feel safe enough to go back to work. Many are considering retirement if the issue is forced.

Great...

We just read a local report that almost 2/3rds of the teachers in our district do not feel safe enough to go back to work. Many are considering retirement if the issue is forced.

Great...
huh.  seems like people making a rational choice to look out for their own health and well being.  weird. 

How about we do more to protect them?  My school district just voted not to require students to wear masks - I don’t blame teachers for wanting to retire when we can’t do simple things to protect them.
Teachers can enforce it in their class. 

I get the concern. My place of work doesnt mandate masks. My options are to go to work and do my best or quit. Same as them. 

Not at all, but I dont see virtual learning as an option for young kids and working parents. Lesser of two evils type of deal. 
so completely unqualified teachers, if you can find teachers in the first place, is a better option?

Do you really think there is a line of people signing up to deal with kids in a completely unprotected environment for starting teacher salary?

so completely unqualified teachers, if you can find teachers in the first place, is a better option?

Do you really think there is a line of people signing up to deal with kids in a completely unprotected environment for starting teacher salary?
Better than the virtual stuff, yes. Have you worked with a young child and the school virtually yet? It's a mess. They arent learning this way.

I think there will be enough people willing to work a 35k-40k a year job with summers off. 

Just another thing to be irritated about:

Per another parent in our county.....”we just found out this morning they are holding all coaching supplements until Oct. Meanwhile all these coaches have been working their tails off as all coaches in the district.  They told them today “we are not paying you until we know for sure you have your season” even though these coaches work all year round.”

Now I understand all of us are impacted by this and many financially but to me the problem I have with this is this potentially leads to poor decision making by coaches and admins. 

I feel fairly fortunate in that my wife and I have lived within our means, and can make it work with only my salary......the public school system is not going to be sufficient for folks who have two working parents or single parent households.

I think there will be enough people willing to work a 35k-40k a year job with summers off. 
And all those teachers choosing to retire have probably worked themselves up the pay scales quite a bit.   The turnover could really help some school budgets.   

And all those teachers choosing to retire have probably worked themselves up the pay scales quite a bit.   The turnover could really help some school budgets.   
Phh why even have trained teachers at all then? They have a union, if they want protection, it’s no different than a coal miners union fighting for protection. Your idea that it would be quality education for a cheaper price sounds too good to be true, because it is. It’s really a slap in the face to anyone that is an educator- “anyone can do your job, and cheaper!” 

Phh why even have trained teachers at all then? They have a union, if they want protection, it’s no different than a coal miners union fighting for protection.  
If they're at retirement age, financially able to call it career and have health concerns about continuing to work, I don't believe we should be forcing them to.  They've earned the right to make that decision on their own.

Your idea that it would be quality education for a cheaper price sounds too good to be true, because it is. It’s really a slap in the face to anyone that is an educator- “anyone can do your job, and cheaper!” 
I never claimed that.

Yeah, let's open the schools. This is a camp for 13-18 year olds.

At Least 82 Coronavirus Cases Linked To Missouri Sleepaway Camp

July 10, 202012:38 PM ET

A COVID-19 outbreak has forced a Christian sleepaway camp in Missouri to shut down after dozens of staff, campers and counselors tested positive for the coronavirus.

The Kanakuk K-2 camp in Lampe, just north of the Arkansas border, closed after 41 campers, counselors and staff became infected with the coronavirus, the Stone County Health Department announced last week.

Four days later, local health officials said the number of infections had doubled, to 82. Many of those who tested positive had already left the camp and returned home, with cases in at least 10 states and to multiple counties in Missouri.

So just so I get this straight.

The federal government wants states to act independently when dealing with the virus (shutdowns, masks, etc) but with schools wants them all to be open or withhold funding.

That seems about right

My wife and I are going to try a few mask options on the kids to see what works best, most comfortable.  I've yet to have to wear a mask for more than a half hour.  Couldn't imagine trying to get kids to keep one on for hours at a time.  Always going to be a bunch of stealthycats too that no matter what just won't do it.    
It's going to be so annoying fighting with the kids about the masks. It's already a constant battle with the  phones and air pods. I must have to tell 30 kids a day to put their phone away or take their air pods out. Now it's also going to be "put your mask back on" and "I know it's hot and nobody wants to wear these masks but we have to". UGH

Yeah, let's open the schools. This is a camp for 13-18 year olds.

At Least 82 Coronavirus Cases Linked To Missouri Sleepaway Camp

July 10, 202012:38 PM ET

A COVID-19 outbreak has forced a Christian sleepaway camp in Missouri to shut down after dozens of staff, campers and counselors tested positive for the coronavirus.

The Kanakuk K-2 camp in Lampe, just north of the Arkansas border, closed after 41 campers, counselors and staff became infected with the coronavirus, the Stone County Health Department announced last week.

Four days later, local health officials said the number of infections had doubled, to 82. Many of those who tested positive had already left the camp and returned home, with cases in at least 10 states and to multiple counties in Missouri.

####

So just so I get this straight.

The federal government wants states to act independently when dealing with the virus (shutdowns, masks, etc) but with schools wants them all to be open or withhold funding.

That seems about right
Isn't some of that federal funding for school food?  The schools in my district we're doing bag lunch pickups during the shutdown for kids in need.  

There's a teacher shortage without the coronavirus. 
I didn't get the last full time job I applied for as there were several qualified candidates with more seniority (08/2018). Since then, I have  added certifications in math, science, and health. In the past two weeks I have had three principals call to ask if I could be ready to teach if they lose teachers to retirement. 

There's a teacher shortage without the coronavirus. 
this depends on location.  I know it's tough to get a teaching job in my home town of Cheyenne, WY - a fairly good school district, close enough to the university that it's desirable for UW grads.  Here in the Carolina's, they have a tough time filling spots because the pay is so poor. $45k goes a lot further in Wyoming than $33k does in South Carolina.

teacher salary

Better than the virtual stuff, yes. Have you worked with a young child and the school virtually yet? It's a mess. They arent learning this way.

I get that you are frustrated. But our energy should be focused on how we can either improve virtual learning for young ones, or come up with a safe alternative. To dismiss teacher's concerns and state that they should just quit, and we can hit the ground running with a bunch of new teachers making 35K, seems ludicrous - and honestly, quite crass.

And FYI - I taught for 7 years. As a new teacher, I was making hell of a lot more than 35K, and thinking back there is no way in hell I would sign up to teach a bunch of kids, and especially in times of a pandemic, for 35K

Instead of opting for an indoor venue, as it did in Tulsa, the Trump campaign had selected an open-air airport tarmac hangar to minimize its footprint for the planned Saturday rally and to appease health experts who have stressed that outdoor events are safer, although mass gatherings are still considered risky.

Officials say similar adjustments are being discussed for the Republican National Convention, which is set to take place at the end of August in an arena in Jacksonville, Florida, that can hold 15,000 people.
Funny, there's nothing to worry about and schools should be packed full but they're not willing to do it themselves. Again.

Link

I get that you are frustrated. But our energy should be focused on how we can either improve virtual learning for young ones, or come up with a safe alternative. To dismiss teacher's concerns and state that they should just quit, and we can hit the ground running with a bunch of new teachers making 35K, seems ludicrous - and honestly, quite crass.

And FYI - I taught for 7 years. As a new teacher, I was making hell of a lot more than 35K, and thinking back there is no way in hell I would sign up to teach a bunch of kids, and especially in times of a pandemic, for 35K
Yeah I was thinking about what schools will do for teachers that get sick (COVID or otherwise). There has been a general substitute teacher shortage in Michigan before we had a pandemic. I have to imagine a massive % of subs aren't going to be interested in taking days this fall. Many of the subs are retired and older, often just doing it for some extra cash. I doubt they will be excited to bounce around from school to to school all week. Then factor in if they are subbing for a staff member that has COVID. You are walking into an environment where you know there was exposure. Is that really worth it? 

Terminalxylem said:
And I’d mentally prepare for in-person school to stop and start multiple times
In my mind, this will be a bigger detriment to kids this year. 

I’d rather schools go conservative in the fall and do more remote learning than a series of random start-stop periods where everything is always in flux. 

Teachers can enforce it in their class. 

I get the concern. My place of work doesnt mandate masks. My options are to go to work and do my best or quit. Same as them. 
Does your place of work require you to be around groups of people in small rooms without masks on?

I’d rather schools go conservative in the fall and do more remote learning than a series of random start-stop periods where everything is always in flux. 
This is why my wife and I are likely opting for virtual for both of our kids this fall.  

Yeah I was thinking about what schools will do for teachers that get sick (COVID or otherwise). There has been a general substitute teacher shortage in Michigan before we had a pandemic. I have to imagine a massive % of subs aren't going to be interested in taking days this fall. Many of the subs are retired and older, often just doing it for some extra cash. I doubt they will be excited to bounce around from school to to school all week. Then factor in if they are subbing for a staff member that has COVID. You are walking into an environment where you know there was exposure. Is that really worth it? 
Would something like the 1/2 virtual, 1/2 live be better in bigger districts because of something like this?  Maybe have 1/2 the teachers in charge of the virtual side, but available to come in if there is a positive case for a teacher, then the one that's positive could possibly do some online if they are lucky enough to stay fairly healthy?  

I just don't see districts running into problems in a month if they try to go to 100% of the teachers in school with students in class because of what you said - how many subs are going to want to come in where there have been positive tests, and if that's the case how does the school choose to operate if a few teachers have to quarantine?

Correct.  It's going to be harder on the kids and parents if they have to go back to online after a month, then a month later start up again, etc.  

Plus, if they are not fully planning for that option on the school side,  how quality is that online portion going to be?

Would something like the 1/2 virtual, 1/2 live be better in bigger districts because of something like this?  Maybe have 1/2 the teachers in charge of the virtual side, but available to come in if there is a positive case for a teacher, then the one that's positive could possibly do some online if they are lucky enough to stay fairly healthy?  

I just don't see districts running into problems in a month if they try to go to 100% of the teachers in school with students in class because of what you said - how many subs are going to want to come in where there have been positive tests, and if that's the case how does the school choose to operate if a few teachers have to quarantine?
Maybe? I really don't even know. It's going to be a mess and I am glad it's not my job to have to figure it all out. With 15,000 students and probably 2500 staff members, it's going to be a logistical challenge that is for sure. 

Currently working at a day camp. 450, three through 11 year olds. We started two weeks ago. Interested to see how it goes. If this goes well it will ease my mind when we go back in August. I am concerned about being inside when school starts. I am a PE teacher so I will be outside as much as possible.

Currently working at a day camp. 450, three through 11 year olds. We started two weeks ago. Interested to see how it goes. If this goes well it will ease my mind when we go back in August. I am concerned about being inside when school starts. I am a PE teacher so I will be outside as much as possible.
Are kids wearing masks?

Are you worried they will cancel PE in your district? Seems like the first one on the chopping block. 

I know new teachers wouldnt hit the ground running, but I  think a case can be made they would be better for pur children's educational needs.  I think in classroom learning is more beneficial to young learning.  I'd take a new teacher vs whatever our district rolls out virtually.

A good in person teacher dosent make a good virtual teacher. My daughters teacher last year was a district award winning teacher yearly.  Once we went virtual she was in over her head. She has no computer or trouble shooting skills. Any student who had issues with the assignments just didnt turn them in. It was a waste of everyone's time. My daughter became so frustrated that her assignments "weren't working" that it derailed the learning process.

We had to email the school with the issue and wait multiple hours for a reply. That isnt learning. 

Not to mention some assignments were not compatible with certain browsers or with a MAC. 

I have no faith they corrected any of these problems if we go back virtually. 

Users who are viewing this thread