What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

COVID-19 - schools K-12 (1 Viewer)

Fingers crossed.

I am generally hopeful that this fall will be much different from the spring, not only in terms of quality but also in terms of consistency. My younger son was in a pre-K class with an absolutely wonderful teacher, but she was in her 60s and simply couldn't adapt to the new technological reality. For the first month, she barely did anything, and when she finally did put together some Zooms, they tended to be of the "Can everyone please mute themselves?" variety. I don't blame her, but it was frustrating. I hope that teachers like her will be getting a lot more support this fall.
I know my district's online option (which is voluntary now but will probably end up being the only option) is structured much different that it was in Spring. We had no mandatory live sessions. Teachers just posted lessons and the work, then made themselves available via video conference office hours for drop is. Now for the fall there's a 50 minute long synchronous learning (meaning the kids must be "present" during that time- most likely a video conference) session M-F for all 6 classes as well as approximately 2 hours of asynchronous work for each class each week that can be completed on the student's timetable. 

Good points  :thumbup:

I'm not advocating for remote learning now and forever.  The smartest minds are saying we should have a vaccine next year.   Absolutely nobody knows what the long term consequences of getting this is yet.  I think it's better to remote learn as much as possible until then.  My biggest fear is that in 5-20 years from now we have millions of Americans, and people around the world for that matter, that have serious health problems from contracting the virus.  We need to err on the side of caution IMO.
Yeah, I am in agreement with you. Making the best of a bad situation and playing things conservatively is the right move here. It would be nice if districts could find a way to take in the young kids who's parents have to work and have no older children or family able to watch them. It seems feasible to me as long as people are honest (maybe that is asking too much) though it would disproportionately impact lower income schools, I think it could work to some level.  Other than for the parents with financial issues, it seems shortsighted to rush the kids back. 

Ilov80s said:
I am kind of jealous as I am in limbo waiting on decisions and am trying to prep for like 5 different possibilities. 
That blows.  I do have to hand it to my district and our admins.  They’ve been busting their humps since March preparing for this.  

Tomorrow is the first day of “school” and I think we’re about as prepared for this as we can be.  

That blows.  I do have to hand it to my district and our admins.  They’ve been busting their humps since March preparing for this.  

Tomorrow is the first day of “school” and I think we’re about as prepared for this as we can be.  
Ours have to, there has just been a lot of delaying on the final decision. I imagine given the make-up of the city that there is likely a lot of politics involved within the community putting pressure in opposite directions on the administration. 

We just got notification via text that one of the Cherokee County High Schools (Etowah HS) is closed to in-person for the next 2.5 weeks.  This was one of the schools in the news for having photos of large groups of kids together without masks.  That school has 14 confirmed cases, 15 tests out and 300 students and staff in quarantine.
The school where my middle two kids go just closed for the rest of the month - only took 8 days!  Nice job Georgia!

Users who are viewing this thread