What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

COVID-19 - schools K-12 (1 Viewer)

I didn't say your kids life, I said your life.  Would you bet your life that your kid can't transmit COVID to you?
I personally am willing to risk my life for my son to get a full, in school education. I risk my life everyday driving to work so I can put food on the table and a roof over his head.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can afford to stay home with your kids and give them a 1 on 1 education that seem preferable. There are many parents who dont have that option. 

I dont see the quality of learning going down and you dont have to rely on the local school boards to make decisions for you.

It can also help accommodate parents who need the structure of the public schools to let their children attend without bumping up against social distancing guidelines. 

That is fair...id like to see more in detail about the 2/3 class load.  Im going to bet they break up the teachers into groups.  Those that are handling virtual and those that are handling in person.  They will be teaching the entire group of virtual in coordination with the in person. teachers.  Here that would seem to work well for K-4 (our middle school starts at 5th grade).  5-8 would be a bit different as they do move classes.  But may make a subject be purely virtual...things that can be done easier virtually than in person.

As for having the means...that will obviously differ by district/county.  Ours is providing laptops for everyone through some grant or stimulus.  They already had quite a few out...so they will be provided where needed and are also setting up or being able to distribute hot spots for internet.  That was the stumbling block in the Spring as there are a large amount of Title 1 students in the district that would not have had access.

Sports is a tough one...I think trying to find a way to have seasons especially for sports that would then move on to possible college athletes.  I don't envy the decisions, or the work college recruiters will then have to do if there are no seasons.  This will impact just about every sport for a few years.
We're still waiting to hear back on this. Schools will need to implement this if they are serious about virtual learning. As of now, they haven't committed to it. 

If you can afford to stay home with your kids and give them a 1 on 1 education that seem preferable. There are many parents who dont have that option. 

I dont see the quality of learning going down and you dont have to rely on the local school boards to make decisions for you.

It can also help accommodate parents who need the structure of the public schools to let their children attend without bumping up against social distancing guidelines. 
It really depends on the parents and the students. The older the kids get, the tougher and tougher that proposition is for parents.

Once there is a case of covid in the school, they need to shut the whole thing down for 2 weeks right?
Our owner has 4 restaurants.  One had a positive case, and Dane Co health department came in to investigate.  Because we do pre-shift screening, take temps, and wear masks they said the store could stay open.  

I would guess it should be similar for school if they are following protocols. 

Then other benefit of putting the younger kids in school first is that they don’t seem to spread it very much. Evidence shows though that at the high school level, it does spread quickly. I think we have to be more careful with high school. 

Our owner has 4 restaurants.  One had a positive case, and Dane Co health department came in to investigate.  Because we do pre-shift screening, take temps, and wear masks they said the store could stay open.  

I’m not sure how a school can do those screenings and taking temps everyday, that would be something parents would have to do at home. Maybe I’m wrong but doing that with 1800 kids seems like it would take a really long time.

I personally am willing to risk my life for my son to get a full, in school education. I risk my life everyday driving to work so I can put food on the table and a roof over his head.
To be fair, in order to risk your life on the road, we mitigate those risks with rules, and we have an expectation that people will follow them.

You may be less willing to risk your life on a cross-town drive if speed limits were suggestions, and stop lights were optional, and a non-0 percentage of people died on the route every day.

If we, as a country, can just buckle down and do the hard stuff for a few weeks - masks, social distancing, testing, tracing we could look more like Europe, and less like a third-world country.  And, its the entire country at risk - not just the current hot spots.  We have to do the hard stuff even in areas with very few current cases - that is how you keep the spread from reaching those areas.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here, but what do you say to parents after the school has a positive case? 

It's still safe for everyone else? 

What if its 10 cases in multiple classrooms? Do you subject everyone in the school to a test? 

Current plan for NYC public schools is in school learning a few days a week and remote learning for other days.  Option to elect to do entirely in home.  Six feet distancing to be maintained and all kids and teachers to wear face masks (this includes elementary schools, which is where my kids are currently. 

Seems like a good compromise all things considered.  My kids school is just too crowded (wouldn't call it anything unusual for a normal year) to maintain distances the CDC currently recommends.  My kids will be going back on this mixed schedule.  We won't know exact schedule until August and it of course could all change.   
Of all the answers I’ve read, this seems to be the most practicable. It’s not without all sorts of problems, but I think it presents the least amount of problems. 

To be fair, in order to risk your life on the road, we mitigate those risks with rules, and we have an expectation that people will follow them.

You may be less willing to risk your life on a cross-town drive if speed limits were suggestions, and stop lights were optional, and a non-0 percentage of people died on the route every day.

If we, as a country, can just buckle down and do the hard stuff for a few weeks - masks, social distancing, testing, tracing we could look more like Europe, and less like a third-world country.  And, its the entire country at risk - not just the current hot spots.  We have to do the hard stuff even in areas with very few current cases - that is how you keep the spread from reaching those areas.
This. And the car accident and risking your life while driving is a terrible analogy.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here, but what do you say to parents after the school has a positive case? 

It's still safe for everyone else? 

What if its 10 cases in multiple classrooms? Do you subject everyone in the school to a test? 
0 clue.  I guess my first questions would be about their cleaning and screening procedures.  

I am guessing schools need to decide on their threshold.  IMO it seems odd to risk firing schools up if they are going to pull the plug after 1 case.  

0 clue.  I guess my first questions would be about their cleaning and screening procedures.  

I am guessing schools need to decide on their threshold.  IMO it seems odd to risk firing schools up if they are going to pull the plug after 1 case.  
I agree and it's back to my first post in this thread that there are a lot of questions the schools don't have answers to. 

It's a no win, but there are people waiting on these answers to decide what to do with their children in 6 weeks. 

This. And the car accident and risking your life while driving is a terrible analogy.
why? Its a necessary evil of going to work just like a risk of getting sick or bringing home an illness is a necessary evil of getting an education. 

Who said we shouldn't mitigate the risks? Constant sanitizing, kids/staff in masks, lunch in the classroom, sneeze guards around each desk, all mitigate the risk without sacrificing in school education?

My wife is a first grade teacher and the school system here changes their plan about three times a week, usually for the worse.

The blended learning plan by NYC is a horrible plan and solves NOTHING and just causes MORE problems. It will crush low income families and teachers with children.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2020/07/08/nyc-parents-outraged-over-decision-for-blended-learning-in-schools/amp/
NC was planning a split week schedule, but is opting for a 1 week on 2 weeks virtual schedule.  In theory it makes more sense from a safety aspect.  It's way worse for working parents though. 

I kind of feel like we are back to the beginning of March, where everyone knows there is something looming, but nobody really knows what to do, and is waiting for someone else to act so they can follow.

But, if this is true - it would reverberate throughout the country:

Jake Lahut@JakeLahut

wow the Dallas School Superintendent just told @GarrettHaake he's pretty sure there will be no Texas high school football this year

I kind of feel like we are back to the beginning of March, where everyone knows there is something looming, but nobody really knows what to do, and is waiting for someone else to act so they can follow.

I dont want this to be true, but I think it's an honest assessment. 

NFL should cancel too

Jake Lahut@JakeLahut

wow the Dallas School Superintendent just told @GarrettHaake he's pretty sure there will be no Texas high school football this year
Why are people still saying "wow" about stuff like this?  Seems pretty obvious there wouldn't be.

Why would no hs football in TX reverberate thru NY?

Of course you like the worst idea 😆 
Disagree with you on how NYC is handling it. Given all we have been through I think it is much better to be cautious on opening schools. As it is not just kids you need to worry about as you have teachers at risk (some of whom could be nearing retirement age and in risky categories) and kids can spread it home. 

I’m not sure how a school can do those screenings and taking temps everyday, that would be something parents would have to do at home. Maybe I’m wrong but doing that with 1800 kids seems like it would take a really long time.
Dunno.  That is a huge school.  I guess I am in the mindset of our rinky dink school here.  

Homeroom? On the bus? 

From what I've seen around here, I have zero trust in parents doing temps before school.  

Dunno.  That is a huge school.  I guess I am in the mindset of our rinky dink school here.  
My kids are going to two different high schools next year, one is about 3,000 kids and the other is about 2,500 kids. 

But it seems doable with one of those thermometer things that they just point at your head. 

Homeroom? On the bus? 

From what I've seen around here, I have zero trust in parents doing temps before school.  
Our school is planning to do them at the door. Turn away students who arent under 100.5. 

I dont know what you do about the kids on the bus. Screen them at pickup by a qualified bus driver. It's going to be a mess. 

Why would no hs football in TX reverberate thru NY?
Football is king in Texas.

There are a lot of school districts around the country that are wondering with how to deal with sports, and contact sports in particular.  If Texas were to cancel fall football, that would give cover for many other districts to follow suit.

And, if football is not safe, it will raise questions about other activities.

Again, this just feels like we are back in March, and the NBA decided to postpone games, then the college conferences decided to stop tournaments in mid-tournament, and then the NCAA decided to cancel the NCAA tournaments, then sports were canceled across the board, then schools started to shut down "for a couple of weeks" that turned into the entire semester.

My kids are going to two different high schools next year, one is about 3,000 kids and the other is about 2,500 kids. 

But it seems doable with one of those thermometer things that they just point at your head. 
I work on a military base that tried to implement this type of screening. We had to throw it out the window because readings were unreliable throughout the day. 

Maybe it works well first thing in the morning, but outdoor screenings were a bust when its warm out. 

I also think most people did not seriously expect us to be in this position this late into the summer.  So, I question how seriously people have been planning for alternatives heading into this fall.  I have a felling it was more likely an exercise they went through without really thinking it would have to be implemented.

And, as cases continue to spike across the country - the realization is setting in that we are not close to the end of this problem.

I dont want this to be true, but I think it's an honest assessment. 

NFL should cancel too
After 9 years of caring 0.0000% about sports my son is all about football and wants to be a Giants fan like dad.... soooo they're definitely gonna cancel.

I agree though its probably the right decision.

Here is one of the logistical challenges in our district - plan is to test before kids get on bus.  Busses have a driver and an aide - so this is feasible.  But, by law, busses may not turn away/leave any child at a bus stop.  So they will have to transport every child to school, and when they get to school, then parents will be notified to come get their child.

Non-bus riders would be tested at the door, before they go through the metal-detectors.

Could the 1/2 on, 1/2 off version of the plan work IF what the kids at home were doing were watching the teacher live during class somehow?  

Seems like that is a decent option in principle, but it's nuts to ask the teachers to do 2x the work if we split them up and have them in charge of the in room kids and online kids every day at separate times.  

Maybe have older/more health compromised teachers be in charge of the online portion?

Our school is planning to do them at the door. Turn away students who arent under 100.5. 

I dont know what you do about the kids on the bus. Screen them at pickup by a qualified bus driver. It's going to be a mess. 
Have a teacher/office worker on the bus to do that?  :shrug:

The blended learning plan by NYC is a horrible plan and solves NOTHING and just causes MORE problems. It will crush low income families and teachers with children.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2020/07/08/nyc-parents-outraged-over-decision-for-blended-learning-in-schools/amp/
Brooklyn grandfather Bobby Roman, 65, said that “the main issue is the younger kids have to go back to school so the parents can go back to work.”

Are jobs going to open up because kids are back at school?  What % of parents are home now just because they can't find care/camps, etc. ?

Simple Solution - school year round, extend hours per day a little bit.  That give you enough time to cut the classroom in half and alternate each day.  Kids get every other day off instead of the summer and a bunch of useless holidays and PTA meetings.  Stimulus money to pay teachers more now that they have a full time/year round job.  You are welcome.

We are looking into home schooling options at this point.  It's looking like our school is going to do some sort of hybrid, alternating schedule.  

The finish of this last year was a joke, but we give the school district a pass for that, because it was a scramble for everyone.......if we have to pretty much home school half time and the school district continues to collect the same amount of revenue, I'm not ok with that.......they already figured out how to furlough their employees for the final few Fridays of the school year to save millions, and it allowed the employees to qualify for the extra $600 federal that was part of the covid stuff......seems criminal to me, and I have no idea how they qualified, but they did.

I don;t know about how they are going to reopen but it's time to rethink school and learning.

Half days in school half days out.  And those afternoons, they do online learning.  And there are like 20 options for different levels of math - taught by 20 math teachers in each state.  State not school.

Brooklyn grandfather Bobby Roman, 65, said that “the main issue is the younger kids have to go back to school so the parents can go back to work.”

Are jobs going to open up because kids are back at school?  What % of parents are home now just because they can't find care/camps, etc. ?
Teachers?

What % of the population is that?  Teachers are the key to stimulating the economy now?
Food, transportation, supplies for all those kids. And parents dont have to stay home. The economy doesnt need stimulating, it needs a steady supply of people getting back to work. This one is significant. 

3.6 million teachers. Plus 1.8 million for non teaching employees of schools. 

A ton of jobs getting food to these schools. It's really significant. 

Food, transportation, supplies for all those kids. And parents dont have to stay home. The economy doesnt need stimulating, it needs a steady supply of people getting back to work. This one is significant. 
Fair points on that first part.  

Users who are viewing this thread