What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Antone Smith Hype Train (4 Viewers)

No one is saying smith should touch the ball 20 times a game, that's just ####### silly he's 5'9, 190 and would likely be a huge liability in pass pro. What would make sense, however, would be for him to average more than 3-4 touches a games. He can get away with 10-12 easy.
Exactly, and with those touches he could land in RB2/RB3 territory and be even better in PPR. And if you factor dynasty into it, he could potentially hold that role for the next few years with the limited usage he has on his body to date. Not bad for the price of a mid-season waiver claim.

I'm targeting Smith also. Waivers ran already, so I could grab him immediately. Finding room is tough.....most droppable players I have are Asiata and Forsett.....both of those guys are getting way more touches, but not scoring as many fantasy points.

Need to do some more investigating, but I have a feeling he won't be out there too much longer.

I can't believe he was still out there after waivers cleared. There is an owner in my league that owns both Jacquizz Rodgers and Freeman but didn't put a claim in for Smith. lol He has scored more than both of them combined this year with a fraction of the touches.

Guy sat there for hours after waivers ran. Had to take him. Dropped Greg Jennings and don't feel the least bit bad about it.

Picked up Oliver and Smith this week and starting hem both since Charles is on a bye.

In redraft I would cut Peterson for Antone Smith even though there are currently too many mouths to feed. I see nothing that gives a glimmer of hope that Peterson plays again this season. He's toxic right now. Definitely will never suit up for Minnesota again.

Rotoworld:

Antone Smith caught 4-of-4 targets for 64 yards and a touchdown in Atlanta's Week 6 loss to the Bears, adding two rushes for five yards.

Smith now has scores in four straight games. The six touches were Smith's most of the season, but we still wouldn't say coach Mike Smith followed through on his pledge to get Smith more involved. Smith displayed electrifying speed on his 41-yard catch and run for a touchdown early in the third quarter, but he got the rock just three more times (for 29 yards, of course) thereafter as the Falcons struggled to get anything going on offense. Until Mike Smith gets serious about utilizing one of his most dangerous players, Antone Smith will remain little more than a dart throw RB3.

Oct 12 - 8:03 PM

No reason he can't get 7-8 targets and 4-5 carries a game. I guess the coaching staff doesn't care if their working in Atlanta next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand he wasn't the established guy and that he was way down on the depth chart. But he's scored long TDs in 5 out of 6 games with the minimal touches they have given him. You'd think with the offense struggling they'd want to utilize the players that are doing something more. Seems pretty basic to me.

No reason Mike Smith should still be coaching this team. This guy has been doing this for 2 years now. Of course he's 29 now so they totally wasted his career so far.

Worthy of a #3 ww this week or do we think he comes back to earth? 8-10 touches could elevate him to an Ellington type from last year?
Probably could will get him after the ww runs. People seem to be avoiding the situation instead if looking at what this guy is doing.

I mean he's RB13 in my league right now. Can you imagine if he got twice the touches? He'd be a top ten RB right now easy.

Played him the first time as it's hard to believe he can keep this up, but boy was I wrong.

If Falcons keep losing, I think Mike Smith has to give more ball to this guy, he must! Or maybe he doesn't like the head coaching job that much.

Trying like hell. I'm in bye Armageddon and need a useful RB for a week. Not sure Quizz is coming back soon, and who knows with Martin anymore...

Tampa has a great upcoming schedule and has been running the ball well, plus Smith has been insanely efficient throughout his career -- just has never had any volume to go with it. 

I'm out of FAAB in one league and trying to save some in another, but I'm trying to get Smith in every league...

Is there any clarity on why Smith got the majority of the touches this week, as Barber seemed to clean things up vs. the 49ers the week prior..  I liked Smith when he was with Atlanta, but vs. the Raiders, he wasn't very productive or explosive.  His volume this week has muddled the scenario..

HW_53 said:
Is there any clarity on why Smith got the majority of the touches this week, as Barber seemed to clean things up vs. the 49ers the week prior..  I liked Smith when he was with Atlanta, but vs. the Raiders, he wasn't very productive or explosive.  His volume this week has muddled the scenario..
The only thing I could think of was he's a better pass protector and receiver than barber.  Oakland game was close, alot of back and forth.  sf game was a blowout.  Barber got mop up duty.  he might get some early down stuff, but unless you think tb is gonna blow out atl I bet smith plays more 

JFS171 said:
Trying like hell. I'm in bye Armageddon and need a useful RB for a week. Not sure Quizz is coming back soon, and who knows with Martin anymore...

Tampa has a great upcoming schedule and has been running the ball well, plus Smith has been insanely efficient throughout his career -- just has never had any volume to go with it. 

I'm out of FAAB in one league and trying to save some in another, but I'm trying to get Smith in every league...
I'm a ware owner and I don't have west.  gonna try for west but if I miss I'm thinking about smith.  need someone this week too

1) Barber is not very good and is not well liked (purely as a player) by the organisation.

2) Barber's "big game" wasn't that big if you were able to watch it.  

3) I expect Mike James to be the back to own.  Smith is 31, already fumbled and popped up a pass, and has never carried any load.  

1) Barber is not very good and is not well liked (purely as a player) by the organisation.

3) I expect Mike James to be the back to own.  Smith is 31, already fumbled and popped up a pass, and has never carried any load.  
Mike james thursday night?  he just got signed

I'm a Martin owner but I have him 5th on my RB WW list behind Sproles, Kelley, Hightower and Starks.  I think he'll be relegated to third string within a few weeks when Martin and Rodgers come back while the other guys have a better outlook for the ROS.

I don't think it's fair to say Barber isn't liked.   They have him on the 53 man so they like him enough.   I think it's more likely that he's a rookie and can't handle the pass protections and consistent play that a veteran offers.   Next year he may be something... they are spending a roster spot to keep him. 

I disagree with everything you've said

I don't think it's fair to say Barber isn't liked.   They have him on the 53 man so they like him enough.   I think it's more likely that he's a rookie and can't handle the pass protections and consistent play that a veteran offers.   Next year he may be something... they are spending a roster spot to keep him. 
He's only on the roster because of injuries to Martin and Sims (much like Don Jackson).  Maybe he'll be a good player next year, but he's looked poor and the team doesn't trust him.

You don't have to look any farther than the team bringing in veteran backs to start over him.  He's been with the team all year and has only seen rushes as an emergency back.  Heck, Antone Smith who is a gadget player signed 2 weeks ago carried the load over him. 

Mike James was with the Bucs last year and in the preseason.  It's probably a more even split with the short week, but going forward today the ranking is Martin>Rodgers>James>Smith>Barber.

He's only on the roster because of injuries to Martin and Sims (much like Don Jackson).  Maybe he'll be a good player next year, but he's looked poor and the team doesn't trust him.

You don't have to look any farther than the team bringing in veteran backs to start over him.  He's been with the team all year and has only seen rushes as an emergency back.  Heck, Antone Smith who is a gadget player signed 2 weeks ago carried the load over him. 

Mike James was with the Bucs last year and in the preseason.  It's probably a more even split with the short week, but going forward today the ranking is Martin>Rodgers>James>Smith>Barber.
Thats a pretty convincing argument for James. Was he drafted when Kotter was part of the team?

After looking more closely at this, I decided to stay away.  it's too unpredictable and Smith has never had volume.  he also fumbled last week.  

You don't have to look any farther than the team bringing in veteran backs to start over him.  He's been with the team all year and has only seen rushes as an emergency back. 
You make great points and I think you are spot on, except for that this.   I think it's because he is a rookie and they don't trust him to be consistent and not get Winston killed.  Lots of rookies have this problem where the team does like them, but can't get on the field because of a deficiency that isn't in the running game. 

Interesting take on Mike James. Getting this right could provide a starter for a few weeks if not longer... who knows when Martin returns or if he'll manage to avoid another setback. 

Interesting take on Mike James. Getting this right could provide a starter for a few weeks if not longer... who knows when Martin returns or if he'll manage to avoid another setback. 
Maybe we get another clue before the game

I've already added mike James and plugged him into my flex spot for this week.  Could be a doughnut but I have a sneaking suspicion henwill be the back to own in Tb until Martin comes back.  He knows the system.   He has proven he can carry the load before when called upon.  

I'm going to go dig around and see what I can find out about Mike James. I'm confident Smith is the play over Barber, but idk how to read James right now. 

I've already added mike James and plugged him into my flex spot for this week.  Could be a doughnut but I have a sneaking suspicion henwill be the back to own in Tb until Martin comes back.  He knows the system.   He has proven he can carry the load before when called upon.  
Cotter was not around when James went on his tear halfway thru 2013, including a massive game against Sea, but did work together last year and up until PS this year. I think it was Btemp who said James was ahead of Peyton before he got hurt too

Found it:

btemp says: 

Not true, James was released with an injury settlement.  He outperformed Barber prior to his injury and I heard he would've kept that roster spot.  And Barber went to the PS, not the active roster.

Smith is a gadget player - he did not look like an RB to trust last Sunday.  

Until Rodgers & Martin come back, I think James takes the job. Not this Thursday, but next week.  Remember, he was with the team last year and this preseason.

Users who are viewing this thread