What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Antone Smith Hype Train (2 Viewers)

The coaching staff doesn't hate Barber enough to not name him the starter.   That's good for Barber and bad for Smith.  Barber started,  played well, and he's also only a young 22.  I think the early season hate from the staff was just lack of trusting a rookie who hasn't proven he can handle the passing game situation.   
Did he?  11 carries for 31 yards against a Falcons defense that ranked 21st in run defense DVOA entering last night.  He added 4 receptions for 24 yards, though it should be noted that three of those receptions came on the final drive from Mike Glennon after Smith left the game.  In fact, four of their final six plays while Atlanta was in total prevent defense were dump-off targets to Barber -- four of his five targets on the night came post Smith injury with Glennon at QB.  I don't really know that we can say he played well.

Mike James is the reason this didn't work out. Towards the end of the first half when they were in the hurry up he had a couple drives to himself.

####### Mike James.
Yeah I actually don't know how this progresses from here, assuming these are the guys we have to work with (Barber, Smith, James).  Smith looked explosive, but he fumbled, got banged up, and generally didn't see much usage. He had 5 carries for 25 yards, but... only 5 carries.  And he only got 4 targets on the night too, which sure -- he probably gets more on that final garbage time drive, but... not what we want to see here.

Mike James though... only had one carry, but he caught all three of his targets on the night and seemed to have a couple of series to himself, three days after he resigned with the team.  To me... he could be the guy that takes over by next week.  And while I get what @SameSongNDance is saying about avoiding this, I feel like if there's a clear guy, most of the time this will be a productive backfield.  Who knows when Martin or Quizz return?  The schedule is very nice... I might let James sit on the bench for another week to see if my read on this plays out correctly.

Yup. I read what @JFS171 had to say about the injury settlement and how he would have made the team ahead of Barber. I was just hoping that on the shortest of weeks he wouldn't be very involved. It certainly was apart of the range of possibilities. So was Smith not tearing his ACL before racking up catching on Glennon's garbage time drive.  :shrug:

If I had to choose I'd also rather James instead of Barber moving forward but luckily this is the last time I'll be looking towards to backfield for anything.
Smith tore his ACL?

Yup. I read what @JFS171 had to say about the injury settlement and how he would have made the team ahead of Barber. I was just hoping that on the shortest of weeks he wouldn't be very involved. It certainly was apart of the range of possibilities. So was Smith not tearing his ACL before racking up catching on Glennon's garbage time drive.  :shrug:

If I had to choose I'd also rather James instead of Barber moving forward but luckily this is the last time I'll be looking towards to backfield for anything.
I agree there. I own James but I'm dropping even with Smith done.

Well at least it makes TB RB situation a tad clearer.

What was the injury for the centre? Once he went out it seems everything went down hill from there 

Users who are viewing this thread