What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Andre Williams - RB (2 Viewers)

Rotoworld:

Andre Williams rushed 13 times for 33 yards with a touchdown in Sunday's Week 10 loss at Seattle.

Williams is a very limited running back right now, but one thing he can do is violently shed contact and keep his legs churning. He did just that on an impressive 3-yard touchdown run in the second quarter, his fourth touchdown in the last six games. If Rashad Jennings (knee) can't go against then 49ers in Week 11, Williams would be a similar TD-dependent play for desperate owners.

Nov 9 - 8:11 PM

With Hillis concussed, Cox breaking his leg, and Jennings maybe one more week away from returning (it has been 5 weeks, most feel it is a 6-7 week injury depending on severity). Can Williams be trusted to be a 3 down back this week, do the Giants bring in someone, or do they use Hynoski in the third down role?

Last edited by a moderator:
montana_grizzly_bears said:
With Hillis concussed, Cox breaking his leg, and Jennings maybe one more week away from returning (it has been 5 weeks, most feel it is a 6-7 week injury depending on severity). Can Williams be trusted to be a 3 down back this week, do the Giants bring in someone, or do they use Hynoski in the third down role?
Andre Brown?

montana_grizzly_bears said:
No, I don't think Williams can be counted on to be a three down back right now. I think Rotoworld summed up his value perfectly as a "TD-dependent play for desperate owners." It's looking like the question will be moot though as all indications are that Jennings will be a go this week.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/11864702/rashad-jennings-new-york-giants-expected-play-sunday-vs-san-francisco-49ers

Situation is looking bad for Jennings, huge surprise... Against the worst defense in the league where are you guys ranking him, and who are you debating starting him over?

I'm leaning Williams over Gio with no Jennings.

I have started Williams in every game that Jennings has been out. I have a feeling that if I don't start him he will go off. Also, I thought he looked very good last week in spot play. I'm hoping for the best.

I have started Williams in every game that Jennings has been out. I have a feeling that if I don't start him he will go off. Also, I thought he looked very good last week in spot play. I'm hoping for the best.
IDK about very good, but he has looked better as the season has progressed.

He's been decent in fantasy whenever Jennings is out, and i like the matchups for the next few weeks @TEN and v.WAS

leaning toward starting him over Fred Jackson and Jerrick McKinnon (even if he's healthy).

I guess I may have went a little overboard, but he looked so bad replacing Jennings I thought it was a marked improvement last week. I hope it gave him a boost in confidence going into this week (if replacing Jennings).

ragnarok628 said:
He's been decent in fantasy whenever Jennings is out, and i like the matchups for the next few weeks @TEN and v.WAS

leaning toward starting him over Fred Jackson and Jerrick McKinnon (even if he's healthy).
I have a very different definition of decent when it comes to starting RBs.

In the 4 weeks Jennings was out earlier and Williams started, he never hit 60 rushing yards and had 3 catches total. He did have 2 TDs but ultimately he averaged 8.6 fantasy points in PPR in that span. That's barely flex-worthy let alone a solid RB2 that he is being pimped out as.

He has looked better as the season has progressed and he does have a good matchup but the hype over Andre Williams is starting to resemble the hype the first time he took over and I think owners could be looking at the same disappointment. Not saying he won't have a good game but I'd temper expectations. Wouldn't surprise me if he finished with 50 rushing yards and 10 receiving yards and would need a TD to salvage his fantasy day.

i thought it was a given that we're not talking about some amazing play here. But if you wanna turn your nose up at one of the relatively few RBs in this league who will actually get a decent number of touches, you must have some solid options already. I'm personally limping along at the RB position and Andre Williams this week is a glass of cold water in the desert.

i thought it was a given that we're not talking about some amazing play here. But if you wanna turn your nose up at one of the relatively few RBs in this league who will actually get a decent number of touches, you must have some solid options already. I'm personally limping along at the RB position and Andre Williams this week is a glass of cold water in the desert.
You said it right, I thought it was a given too. But for some reason when you talk about players who may get a good shot on any given week people think you must compare them to the Top 5.

Some people are week at RB and need a player like this to help, comparing them to Charles and Forte does no one any good. For the record this week, If Williams is starting, I would put him at Top 10 in standard leagues. and Top 15 in PPR.

assuming Jennings sits this week, would it be crazy to play Andre over Golden Tate and Keenan Allen in the flex spot?

It's a PPR league, but I don't like Allen's matchup against NE/Revis this week. Tate has a good matchup at home against Tampa Bay, but the Lions could pull out to an early lead and stop throwing it. Tough call.

Good grief,

You said it right, I thought it was a given too. But for some reason when you talk about players who may get a good shot on any given week people think you must compare them to the Top 5.

Some people are week at RB and need a player like this to help, comparing them to Charles and Forte does no one any good. For the record this week, If Williams is starting, I would put him at Top 10 in standard leagues. and Top 15 in PPR.
All I'm saying is for those who see him as a rock solid RB2, that his history - albeit a very short one - as a starter suggests that he might not put up the type of production you are hoping for and that he might prove closer to flex value. Does that sound like someone comparing him to Charles/Forte when I explicitly said RB2 in my post? Given you are making him a RB1 in standard leagues, you are closer to comparing him to those guys than I was. I'm not saying he will suck and is unusable if you need a RB.

but the hype over Andre Williams is starting to resemble the hype the first time he took over
I have to disagree... I see people hoping for 60 total yards and a score against the worst run defense in the NFL... These expectations aren't crazy.
I've seen people expecting that. Hoping, sure. Expecting, eh.
Again, he scored in 5 of the 7 games he got 10 carries or more. Those expectations are not crazy.

Denver724 said:
fantasycurse42 said:
Denver724 said:
I guess I may have went a little overboard, but he looked so bad replacing Jennings I thought it was a marked improvement last week. I hope it gave him a boost in confidence going into this week (if replacing Jennings).
:wall:

but the hype over Andre Williams is starting to resemble the hype the first time he took over
I have to disagree... I see people hoping for 60 total yards and a score against the worst run defense in the NFL... These expectations aren't crazy.
Again, he scored in 5 of the 7 games he got 10 carries or more. Those expectations are not crazy.
He also failed to get 60 total yards in 5 of those 7 games. So expecting "60 total yards and a score", while not crazy - which btw I never stated it was - is far from automatic.

I know I am coming across pessimistic but it's not like I am expressing some crazy opinion that is based on nothing factual and lambasting those who are more optimistic than I am on Andre Williams. Just saying that I can easily see him having a very lackluster game and disappointing owners who have hope for something like 12 fantasy points (60 yards + td) based on opportunity and matchup. That's all.

One additional word of caution - with the addition of Ogby, it further reinforces Williams' lack of presence in the passing game. However, now the Giants would have a viable player for that role. Something to keep in mind for a guy who already has had some tepid starts.

Against Tennessee– If he's getting 16-20 carries I'd lean towards starting him. If he gets an additional 3-4 catches I'd think we'd be seeing:

60-80 ru yds

10-20 re yds

.5 odds on TD

Then again I can see NYG losing to TEN 9-6. But it's the end of the season for the Giants so who knows.

Against Tennessee– If he's getting 16-20 carries I'd lean towards starting him. If he gets an additional 3-4 catches I'd think we'd be seeing:

60-80 ru yds

10-20 re yds

.5 odds on TD

Then again I can see NYG losing to TEN 9-6. But it's the end of the season for the Giants so who knows.
How can anyone think he will see 3-4 catches? Guy can't catch. And, as I just noted, they brought in a guy who catches the ball out of the backfield.

One additional word of caution - with the addition of Ogby, it further reinforces Williams' lack of presence in the passing game. However, now the Giants would have a viable player for that role. Something to keep in mind for a guy who already has had some tepid starts.
Uh, I think its pretty obvious to anyone the addition of "Ogby" is because Jennings is hurt and they may be without a capable back behind Williams.

60-80 ru yds

10-20 re yds

.5 odds on TD

How can anyone think he will see 3-4 catches? Guy can't catch. And, as I just noted, they brought in a guy who catches the ball out of the backfield.
Yeah.... 4 is on the high side and he has hands of stone so dial it back to 2 for 10... In my mind it's about the carries. I don't look at Obon as a threat.

60-80 ru yds

10-20 re yds

.5 odds on TD

Yeah.... 4 is on the high side and he has hands of stone so dial it back to 2 for 10... In my mind it's about the carries. I don't look at Obon as a threat.
He hasn't caught more than 2 in any game this season and has 11 all season. In the 7 games where he got 10+ carries, he has 6 total receptions. Suffice to say I'd expect 1-2 catches far more than 3-4 catches. He is a threat to his receptions more than Ogbonnaya is.

He also failed to get 60 total yards in 5 of those 7 games. So expecting "60 total yards and a score", while not crazy - which btw I never stated it was - is far from automatic.

I know I am coming across pessimistic but it's not like I am expressing some crazy opinion that is based on nothing factual and lambasting those who are more optimistic than I am on Andre Williams. Just saying that I can easily see him having a very lackluster game and disappointing owners who have hope for something like 12 fantasy points (60 yards + td) based on opportunity and matchup. That's all.
Fine. Let's fudge the numbers a little more and say we expect 51 yards or more and a TD. He's had 51 yards or more in 4/7 games with 10 or more carries and also a TD in 5/7 of those games.

My gut tells me he's a lock for over 60 yards this week, but you never know with TD's. On the plus side, he's guaranteed to get the redzone carries. Can't ask for more than that. If he gets in the endzone, there will be some happy campers here.

Uh, I think its pretty obvious to anyone the addition of "Ogby" is because Jennings is hurt and they may be without a capable back behind Williams.
Uh, I think it's pretty obvious to anyone who watches this team and understands what they are looking to do that the addition of "Ogby" is to provide a complementary player to Williams since he is so deficient in the passing game. He can also provide a backup, but it's not as if they need a guy for a month. It's likely one game.

PLENTY of "capable" backs out there. They went with one who catches the ball well. Wonder why?

The Titans are brutal vs the run. I know Williams is limited by his complete lack of receiving skills but against the the Titans I don't think it matters. Also, with the emergence of Odell Beckham he has become the focal point of oppoing defenses. Even if the Titans struggle vs the run it is unlikely they put 8 in the box because they probably will want to roll extra coverage to Beckham.

I don't own Williams so I don't have a dog in this fight but I still think he can have a breakout game this week. I wouldn't be surprised for him to surprass 100 yards on the ground.

Also, remember that during Williams last chance as a starter, Peyton Hillis saw a large number of snaps and plays but this week I don't think anyone will see that many snaps behind him.

gradin123 said:
The Titans are brutal vs the run. I know Williams is limited by his complete lack of receiving skills but against the the Titans I don't think it matters. Also, with the emergence of Odell Beckham he has become the focal point of oppoing defenses. Even if the Titans struggle vs the run it is unlikely they put 8 in the box because they probably will want to roll extra coverage to Beckham.

I don't own Williams so I don't have a dog in this fight but I still think he can have a breakout game this week. I wouldn't be surprised for him to surprass 100 yards on the ground.

Also, remember that during Williams last chance as a starter, Peyton Hillis saw a more number of snaps and plays but this week I don't think anyone will see that many snaps behind him.
Orleans Darkwa, Chris Ogbonnaya

those could be your backup RB's this weekend behind williams. Ogbonnaya has proven to be adequate catching the ball in the past.... but would they throw him out there on 3rd down passing situations consistently given he just signed? I bet williams gets 20 touches.. but who knows if he finally does something with them

gradin123 said:

Also, remember that during Williams last chance as a starter, Peyton Hillis saw a more number of snaps and plays but this week I don't think anyone will see that many snaps behind him.
Orleans Darkwa, Chris Ogbonnaya

those could be your backup RB's this weekend behind williams. Ogbonnaya has proven to be adequate catching the ball in the past.... but would they throw him out there on 3rd down passing situations consistently given he just signed? I bet williams gets 20 touches.. but who knows if he finally does something with them
Ogbonnaya doesn't know the playbook. They probably have him focusing on 5-10 possible plays that they could use him on. I find it very doubtful that he's out there with any regularity, even if it's 3rd down. You don't put a guy out there that doesn't know the playbook and could make a very costly mistake on a down as important as 3rd.

Williams has good value this week....but what about week 15 and 16?
It seems like a good bet that Jennings could get shelved.

The Giants line is garbage. He's averaging > 3ypc. So what. For guys hurting in non-ppr leagues, carries are carries. Projecting touches is the most important variable in the equation. He's at least a baseline RB this week possible getting 15+ touches.

Uh, I think it's pretty obvious to anyone who watches this team and understands what they are looking to do that the addition of "Ogby" is to provide a complementary player to Williams since he is so deficient in the passing game. He can also provide a backup, but it's not as if they need a guy for a month. It's likely one game.

PLENTY of "capable" backs out there. They went with one who catches the ball well. Wonder why?
I wonder why Ogby keeps getting cut by teams. I wonder why? :rolleyes:

It seems like a good bet that Jennings could get shelved.

The Giants line is garbage. He's averaging > 3ypc. So what. For guys hurting in non-ppr leagues, carries are carries. Projecting touches is the most important variable in the equation. He's at least a baseline RB this week possible getting 15+ touches.
Have you read ANYthing to this effect? Or just spitballing making it sound as if this is based on something substantive. Here in NY I'd think good chance he sits this week, but can't see him missing more than that.

It seems like a good bet that Jennings could get shelved. The Giants line is garbage. He's averaging > 3ypc. So what. For guys hurting in non-ppr leagues, carries are carries. Projecting touches is the most important variable in the equation. He's at least a baseline RB this week possible getting 15+ touches.
Have you read ANYthing to this effect? Or just spitballing making it sound as if this is based on something substantive. Here in NY I'd think good chance he sits this week, but can't see him missing more than that.
A little bit of both

So here we have a very stoppable force (2.9YPC) meeting an extremely movable object (4.2YPC). TEN's interior is garbage but so is NYG's. On paper I actually don't love the match-up since I don't believe Williams to be a strong in between the tackles runner. TEN's rushing defense doesn't really give up any big plays either, just chunks of yards. I don't know, I could see 60 yards and a TD but he's ineffectiveness up to this point and bricks for hands makes me just want to stay away.

I'm blessed with living in the DC area so I get to watch the Redskins put up stinkers every week instead of getting to watch the Giants. So is Williams looking better than earlier in the season or are the Titans just the Titans?

Users who are viewing this thread