What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Israel Abanikanda, RB, NYJ (1 Viewer)

On the positive side a good fit for his running style and a potential low cost handcuff option for Hall owners if they are inclined.

I tell you it's amazing how deep some teams RB positions look and how thin some look. Like Arizona has Conner and Keontay? Dallas has ROJO as RB2 behind a RB that's never carried a big load. Dolphins have two older injury prone RB's and a mighty mite. How can Bengals and Vikings move on from Dalvin and Mixon now?

Might be good news for old vets still on the market like Hunt and Fournette.

On the positive side a good fit for his running style and a potential low cost handcuff option for Hall owners if they are inclined.

I tell you it's amazing how deep some teams RB positions look and how thin some look. Like Arizona has Conner and Keontay? Dallas has ROJO as RB2 behind a RB that's never carried a big load. Dolphins have two older injury prone RB's and a mighty mite. How can Bengals and Vikings move on from Dalvin and Mixon now?

Nice post

Great point, hadn’t thought about it that way. Quite a disparity and as many good backs as there are that’s pretty surprising.

Jets signed No. 143 overall pick Israel Abanikanda to a four-year contract.​

Abanikanda becomes the latest Jet to sign his rookie deal after cornerback Jarrick Bernard-Converse signed with the team on Thursday. A dual threat out of the backfield, Abanikanda joins a crowded backfield that already includes Zonovan Knight and Michael Carter, while Breece Hall also hopes to make his return sooner than later. We'd expect Abanikanda to start the offseason behind Knight and Carter, but both are replacement-level backs who could be usurped on the depth chart if Abanikanda has a strong showing in camp.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com
May 5, 2023, 3:13 PM ET

@massraider - I am requesting a thread title update on this one

Adam Levitan @adamlevitan
Some beat writer speculation out of #Jets OTAs: "Israel Abanikanda will be part of the running back rotation right away, pushing to start if Breece Hall (ACL) is out to begin the season."
Kind of an afterthought in rookie drafts. I went after him, even in leagues where I don't have Hall.
I like him at his low price point - Carter was not good last year and even if Hall is back week 1 they are not going to overwork him. If Izzy has a solid camp he could be part of a rotation early on a solid offense.

Adam Levitan @adamlevitan
Some beat writer speculation out of #Jets OTAs: "Israel Abanikanda will be part of the running back rotation right away, pushing to start if Breece Hall (ACL) is out to begin the season."
Kind of an afterthought in rookie drafts. I went after him, even in leagues where I don't have Hall.
I like him at his low price point - Carter was not good last year and even if Hall is back week 1 they are not going to overwork him. If Izzy has a solid camp he could be part of a rotation early on a solid offense.
Carter wasn't as good last year but showed he could play as a rookie - I do think they'll keep his role limited even if Hall can't go though. I think the issue for Abanikanda is that they seemed to love Bam Knight so not sure Abanikanda steps into the starting RB roll even if Hall misses time. I do like the kid and wish he landed in a better spot - although I'm also glad he's on the team as a fan of the Jets.

The Athletic’s Zack Rosenblatt writes, “The Jets really do believe in [Israel] Abanikanda’s ability to contribute right away.”

The Jets selected Abanikanda with the 143rd overall pick in this year’s draft, further adding to an already talented backfield. Abanikanda broke out last season with the Pittsburgh Panthers, rushing 239 times for 1,431 yards and 20 touchdowns while adding another 12-146-1 through the air. In Rosenblatt’s article, he mentions the team’s belief in Abanikanda as a reason why they could pass on veteran free agent Dalvin Cook. His quickest path to playing time is likely dependent on Breece Hall missing time to start the season, but it’s possible he climbs the depth chart over incumbents Zonovan Knight and/or Michael Carter in training camp. For now, we wouldn’t read too much into this. But this could be something worth remembering as we approach camp.

Planned to draft my DST with the #34 rookie draft pick. Abanikanda was still there, couldn't pass him up, so I took him and planned to trade anyone for a future pick(s), or do a 2-for-1 trade. Tried many times, came close, but never could hammer out a deal that I liked enough to take. So I dropped Abanikanda today to pick up my DST.

Planned to draft my DST with the #34 rookie draft pick. Abanikanda was still there, couldn't pass him up, so I took him and planned to trade anyone for a future pick(s), or do a 2-for-1 trade. Tried many times, came close, but never could hammer out a deal that I liked enough to take. So I dropped Abanikanda today to pick up my DST.
You will rue the day.

You will rue the day.
Sarcastic, I'm guessing 😅 but not 100% sure.

Meanwhile I dropped 15% of my FAAB on him in a league last night.

ETA-I have no idea which one of us will have regrets.

You will rue the day.
In dynasty I targeted him in several leagues because I believe he is very talented. I hate the landing spot, but I’m willing to hold for a few years to see what happens. I may change my mind later, but for now that’s what I’m going to do. Yes, I was partially joking……..partially.

Meanwhile I dropped 15% of my FAAB on him in a league last night.

ETA-I have no idea which one of us will have regrets.
same

You will rue the day.
In dynasty I targeted him in several leagues because I believe he is very talented. I hate the landing spot, but I’m willing to hold for a few years to see what happens. I may change my mind later, but for now that’s what I’m going to do. Yes, I was partially joking……..partially.
Yeah, I feel you. That's kind of how I figured you meant it. That's why I tried pretty hard to keep him. But it was either him, Bateman, Deuce Vaughn, or Bryce Young.

You will rue the day.
Yeah, I feel you. That's kind of how I figured you meant it. That's why I tried pretty hard to keep him. But it was either him, Bateman, Deuce Vaughn, or Bryce Young.
Why a DST? Is it your only defense or a 2nd defense?

You will rue the day.
Cook is gone after this season so maybe Abanikanda shares with Hall next season. Obviously his ceiling is capped but still may have value as RB2 in a good offense that wants to run the ball. This season he’s buried without injury of course. He’s a player.

You will rue the day.
My only DST. I picked Abanikanda with my last rookie pick instead of getting a defense.

You will rue the day.
My only DST. I picked Abanikanda with my last rookie pick instead of getting a defense.
Post your team. I’d like to take a look to see if there is a better drop.

Do we know Hall is all the way back?

I mean, he's been limited in all these practices. He's fresh off of this injury and fresh off a non-contact jersey.

Abanikanda is quite the talent, IMO. He looked really effective in the preseason.

You will rue the day.
Hurts, Young, Geno

Bijan, Etienne, Swift, K Miller, R Johnson, Spears, Tucker, Vaughn

Lamb, AJ Brown, G Wilson, Dotson, Johnston, Godwin, Bateman

C McLuaghlin, Browns DST

The only other ones I might consider are the bolded. But I say definitely Abanikanda.

You will rue the day.
Hurts, Young, Geno

C McLuaghlin, Browns DST

The only other ones I might consider are the bolded. But I say definitely Abanikanda.
Yeah, you didn’t have much choice I guess. Not Bateman for sure. I’m not a Vaughn truther.

You will rue the day.
Hurts, Young, Geno

C McLuaghlin, Browns DST

Yeah, you didn’t have much choice I guess. Not Bateman for sure. I’m not a Vaughn truther.
Sorry for hijack but yeah I like Vaughn but not crazy about him. He's unique, that's for sure. But don't know if he'll ever produce consistent fantasy numbers.

Michael Carter cut. Unless the sign someone to be the #3 RB, Abanikanda should at least get his chance to be on the active roster, and maybe get a snap or two. If it's his lucky day, maybe even a touch.

giddyup lil' pony

ADDING him strictly due to him being from Brooklyn, NY (Lincoln High) #bedstuyrepresent

just turned 21 last month, liked what I saw in the preseason before he sustained a thigh contusion v the Bucs

25-113-4.5-1 & 5-37 on 5 targets

Admittedly, I know very little about this guy but I know many think very highly of him. I keep hearing about his speed, even from Saleh, who also mentioned his “fresh legs.” Any chance Abanikanda comes out and pulls an Achane/Keaton?

Is Abanikanda the type of back who can be explosive on limited touches? Could this turn into a relatively even split with Hall, who hasn’t found much running room lately? Could Abanikanda become the passing downs back+ and be a valuable fantasy asset in that role, even with Hall the clear lead RB?

Feels like this guy could go from waiver wires to #1 waiver add very quickly.

Admittedly, I know very little about this guy but I know many think very highly of him. I keep hearing about his speed, even from Saleh, who also mentioned his “fresh legs.” Any chance Abanikanda comes out and pulls an Achane/Keaton?

Is Abanikanda the type of back who can be explosive on limited touches? Could this turn into a relatively even split with Hall, who hasn’t found much running room lately? Could Abanikanda become the passing downs back+ and be a valuable fantasy asset in that role, even with Hall the clear lead RB?

he's what I would call a project speed back

has the big play burst, doesn't have a lot in his arsenal to force missed tackles, and does not play to his size - won't see him bursting through arm tackles

he has upside but it's maybe a year or two away, needs refinement to his game to succeed at this level

IMO

just turned 21 last month, stick a pin in this one, especially if you hear glowing reports in OTAs and TC

could see him blossoming with a Y2 or Y3 jump. rn I don't think he's ready and that line won't be doing him any favors.

he's what I would call a project speed back

has the big play burst, doesn't have a lot in his arsenal to force missed tackles, and does not play to his size - won't see him bursting through arm tackles

he has upside but it's maybe a year or two away, needs refinement to his game to succeed at this level

IMO

just turned 21 last month, stick a pin in this one, especially if you hear glowing reports in OTAs and TC

could see him blossoming with a Y2 or Y3 jump. rn I don't think he's ready and that line won't be doing him any favors.
I liked him coming out of college, but hated his landing spot. I held him in the leagues I have him and never was tempted to drop him. Hell, if Kyren Williams can succeed, so can Abanikanda. The big difference is he won't be given the starting job without an injury to Hall (God forbid).

I liked him coming out of college, but hated his landing spot.
Agree with this. I watched him at Pitt and he's a solid RB that probably has the tools to be a starting NFL RB. Probably is he landed in one of the worst spots to get playing time - the only way he probably sees meaningful playing time during his rookie contract is if Breece gets hurt. or in garbage time. If he makes it through his rookie contract with the Jets, he probably gets passed over for younger models.

Added in all leagues. Just have a feeling the Anaconda’s going to be slithering his way to significant fantasy value.

is he a keeper in deep dynasty?
Absolutely. I'm in 20-player dynasty (which I think is averagey size? Not deep?), I'm definitely keeping.
I’ve got lots of picks in a league and will have real roster issues in April. We’re talking about 5 picks in DEVY and having to choose 5 drops. Aidan O’Connell, Abanikandi, Rodriguez, Chandler, Tucker Kraft, Noah Gray and Mims. I’ll probably package a player or two with a pick to move up in the draft. Obviously Rodriguez, O’Connell, and possibly Gray are expendable, but I like Gray when Kelce retires. I want to keep Abanikandi, Kraft, and Mims. Chandler may be the real deal.

is he a keeper in deep dynasty?
Absolutely. I'm in 20-player dynasty (which I think is averagey size? Not deep?), I'm definitely keeping.
I’ve got lots of picks in a league and will have real roster issues in April. We’re talking about 5 picks in DEVY and having to choose 5 drops. Aidan O’Connell, Abanikandi, Rodriguez, Chandler, Tucker Kraft, Noah Gray and Mims. I’ll probably package a player or two with a pick to move up in the draft. Obviously Rodriguez, O’Connell, and possibly Gray are expendable, but I like Gray when Kelce retires. I want to keep Abanikandi, Kraft, and Mims. Chandler may be the real deal.
I guess I was possibly misinterpreting keeper. I was thinking "I'm not dropping him now", that is, I'm keeping him into the offseason. Our dynasty drops will be like late August probably, so there is a long time for situations to shake out. He could be an easy drop by then, or a keeper.

Users who are viewing this thread