What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2005 FBG/NFL Mock Draft Rounds 2 and 3 (1 Viewer)

The Cards will take OG Evan Mathis in order to make some improvement in their protection. They've tried to go this route before and were almost always unsuccessful with it; hopefully not this time.

Write up to come later, I cant believe he is still available (I checked the list twice ;) )

Eagles - JJ Arrington, RB Cal

The Texans select Michael Boley LB Southern Missisippi

Boley is an athletic, instinctive Lb. The biggest concern for him is his size, but he showed up at the senior bowl at 230. boley needs to improve on his pass coverage, but makes plays and is around the ball. foreman is mediocore and Sharper enters the last year of his contract in 2005. Boley will get at least one year to add some weight and get stronger before making a serious run at starting.

Possibilities with this and the previous pick could have been either OL or NT, but IMO, all of the prospecta remaining at those position would have been reaches at this point in the draft.

Hmmmnnn... Barber and Arrington are gone, the player I really want for them is probably a 4th rounder, they may or may not bring back Muhammy. I can see them going a lot of ways with this pick, I guess I will give my best effort at BPA.

Carolina takes JR Russell WR Louisville

This will be a hedge against Muhammed leaving. If he stays I don't see them addressing WR in the draft but if he goes they will need to groom some players behind Steve Smith and Keary Colbert.

Write up to come later, I cant believe he is still available (I checked the list twice ;) )

arrington is going to be a 3rd round steal for someone. The number of guys who project to be productive NFL RBs in this draft is staggering - probably in the 12-15 range. 3 studs (benson, cadillac, brown)

stud talent (fason)

workhorses (morency, mcclendon, arrington)

power backs (harris, houston, jacobs)

RBBC studs in college with feature talent (shelton, barber)

elusive little guys (moats, sproles)

interesting gambles (clarett, gore, nash, davis)

This is definitely the year to be drafting at RB, no matter whether you're going for a new feature back, change of pace, depth - there's someone out there for everyone.

as far as dynasty picks go, this is the year to stack up some 2nd/3rd rounders if you looking for RBs. there will be RBs on the board around 20-25th pick that are 1st round dynasty talents.

Last edited by a moderator:

arrington is going to be a 3rd round steal for someone. The number of guys who project to be productive NFL RBs in this draft is staggering - probably in the 12-15 range. 3 studs (benson, cadillac, brown)

stud talent (fason)

workhorses (morency, mcclendon, arrington)

power backs (harris, houston, jacobs)

RBBC studs in college with feature talent (shelton, barber)

elusive little guys (moats, sproles)

interesting gambles (clarett, gore, nash, davis)

This is definitely the year to be drafting at RB, no matter whether you're going for a new feature back, change of pace, depth - there's someone out there for everyone.

as far as dynasty picks go, this is the year to stack up some 2nd/3rd rounders if you looking for RBs. there will be RBs on the board around 20-25th pick that are 1st round dynasty talents.
I was really impressed with Cedric Houston in the Senior Bowl.Clarett and Sproles are interesting picks as well...

All 3 of those guys could be had in the 4th round and later...

Interesting point on 2nd/3rd rounders in a dynasty draft. I was disappointed this year when I only picked up 2nd rounders but now it looks like I will be able to stock up on RB prospects. What do you guys think about Bobby Purify? IIRC, he used to push Chris Brown for time and now nobody talks about him. Does he fit anywhere on your list?

Thinking this conversasion on RBs in the draft would make a great thread by itself..In some leaguesI could imagine 10 first round on RBs and 2nd round value being at the other positions...but before we hijack

Interesting point on 2nd/3rd rounders in a dynasty draft. I was disappointed this year when I only picked up 2nd rounders but now it looks like I will be able to stock up on RB prospects. What do you guys think about Bobby Purify? IIRC, he used to push Chris Brown for time and now nobody talks about him. Does he fit anywhere on your list?
i would put purify in a group with guys like ryan grant(ND), noah herron(northwestern) and walter reyes(syracuse), very productive college RBs in big time college football who just dont project to be good pros.purify is a sturdy(6'0" 215) chainmover, and decent receiver, but SLOW (4.75), and not the most durable in college. I see him as a competent backup in the NFL on a run first team that will take the holes that he's given and hit em hard, but never break away or make something out of nothing.herron is another very sturdy guy at 5'11" 230, and like purify, his rush/receiving game is well rounded. he'll dish out the hits and plays smart football, but like purify he's SLOW (4.75) and doesnt have the right skills to project as a FB. reyes is well-rounded and has a 5th gear(4.36), but a little smallish at 5'10 210, and he plays even smaller - doesnt run with power and authority, which you have to do in the NFL. unlike purify and herron, reyes could become a solid #1 RB if he bulks up a little and learns how to run stronger while preserving that track speed. grant is built well (6'1" 218) and knows how to see the hole and hit the hole. He's also got decent speed for his size (4.5). However, he is totally one-dimensional and doesnt really break tackles or make anything on his own. he's another one who will be very competent as a backup, but doesnt seem to have a future a #1.

Should we start thinking about who the Vikes should take.. we had a 6 hour lul last time also.

ROUND 31 (65). San Francisco 49ers - CJ Moseley - DT - Missouri2 (66) St. Louis Rams (from Miami) - Craphonso Thorpe - WR - Florida St3 (67) Cleveland Browns - Mike Patterson - DT - USC4 (68) Tennessee Titans - Andew Walter - QB - Arizona St5 (69) Oakland Raiders - Ronald Bartell - CB - Howard6 (70) Miami Dolphins (from Chicago) - Jeremy Parquet - OT - Southern Miss7 (71) Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Marcus Johnson - OG - Ole Miss8 (72) Detroit Lions - Jason Campbell QB Aubrun9 (73) Houston Texans(Dallas) - Marion Barber III RB Minnesota10 (74) Washington Redskins - Fred Gibson WR Georgia11 (75) New York Giants - James Butler - S - Georgia Tech12 (76) Arizona Cardinals - Evan Mathis - OG - Alabama13 (77) Philadelphia Eagles(KC) - JJ Arrington RB Cal 14 (78) Houston Texans - Michael Boley LB Southern Missisippi15 (79) Carolina Panthers - JR Russell WR Louisville16 (80) Minnesota Vikings 17 (81) St. Louis Rams18 (82) New Orleans Saints19 (83) Cincinnati Bengals20 (84) Baltimore Ravens 21 (85) Jacksonville Jaguars22 (86) Seattle Seahawks23 (87) Buffalo Bills 24 (88) New York Jets25 (89) Green Bay Packers 26 (90) Denver Broncos - forfeited pick27 (91) Atlanta Falcons28 (92) Tampa Bay Buccaneers(SD)29 (93) Indianapolis Colts30 (94) Philadelphia Eagles 31 (95) New England Patriots32 (96) Pittsburgh Steelers

Minn so far1.18 Shaun Cody- DT- USC2.17 Darryl Blackstock - OLB - Virginia

I hate to hijack the thread, but where did the Eagles' get the Chiefs' 3rd round pick from?
I'm guessing for the OG/OT they dealt them last season.. off the cuff I think the name is John Welbourne?? could be off there.

I hate to hijack the thread, but where did the Eagles' get the Chiefs' 3rd round pick from?
I'm guessing for the OG/OT they dealt them last season.. off the cuff I think the name is John Welbourne?? could be off there.
No hijak...good ??....Fourth Round Philadelphia from Kansas City (OG John Welbourn/ could escalate to #3 if Welbourn plays 50% of Chiefs' snaps) link

OG John Welbourn but I think it was for a 4th :unsure:edited to add: good job bobcat

I could see them taking Ted Nugent...
I think Mike would be a great pick. He's going to help a team, no doubt.....and who better than Minn? He's going to be one of the best during his time.

Muchos gracias! Next question, anyone know if he played half the snaps?
He started 10 games. There's a Chiefs article on the articles page that says the pick's a 3rd.

I'll make it official.ROUND 31 (65). San Francisco 49ers - CJ Moseley - DT - Missouri2 (66) St. Louis Rams (from Miami) - Craphonso Thorpe - WR - Florida St3 (67) Cleveland Browns - Mike Patterson - DT - USC4 (68) Tennessee Titans - Andew Walter - QB - Arizona St5 (69) Oakland Raiders - Ronald Bartell - CB - Howard6 (70) Miami Dolphins (from Chicago) - Jeremy Parquet - OT - Southern Miss7 (71) Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Marcus Johnson - OG - Ole Miss8 (72) Detroit Lions - Jason Campbell QB Aubrun9 (73) Houston Texans(Dallas) - Marion Barber III RB Minnesota10 (74) Washington Redskins - Fred Gibson WR Georgia11 (75) New York Giants - James Butler - S - Georgia Tech12 (76) Arizona Cardinals - Evan Mathis - OG - Alabama13 (77) Philadelphia Eagles(KC) - JJ Arrington RB Cal 14 (78) Houston Texans - Michael Boley LB Southern Missisippi15 (79) Carolina Panthers - JR Russell WR Louisville16 (80) Minnesota Vikings - Mike Nugent - K - The Ohio State University17 (81) St. Louis Rams18 (82) New Orleans Saints19 (83) Cincinnati Bengals20 (84) Baltimore Ravens 21 (85) Jacksonville Jaguars22 (86) Seattle Seahawks23 (87) Buffalo Bills 24 (88) New York Jets25 (89) Green Bay Packers 26 (90) Denver Broncos - forfeited pick27 (91) Atlanta Falcons28 (92) Tampa Bay Buccaneers(SD)29 (93) Indianapolis Colts30 (94) Philadelphia Eagles 31 (95) New England Patriots32 (96) Pittsburgh Steelers Minny needs a kicker and Nugent is the best to come out in years. He might break a record in that dome, let alone touchback most kickoffs. I've watched every game of his, he has a moster leg and great accuracy. Dramatic improvement b/t his Freshman and Soph years.

Who picked for New Orleans? WTF?! A QB in the first round? I feel like I'm channeling Tom Benson here. Junior, do you have *any* idea what you're doing up there? Or are you just picking names that suit your fancy? I realize that this Fantasy Football but I had no idea it was Delusional & Pathological Fantasy Football...

I believe we've picked every Rams pick so far.Crowder LBMunoz OTThorpe WRWhat will Martzie do here?
im thinking DE, jovan haye of vanderbilt looks like a good value here.
2nd for Haye. The guy has some nice size. Swancutt might make sense as well.

Who picked for New Orleans? WTF?! A QB in the first round? I feel like I'm channeling Tom Benson here. Junior, do you have *any* idea what you're doing up there? Or are you just picking names that suit your fancy? I realize that this Fantasy Football but I had no idea it was Delusional & Pathological Fantasy Football...
:confused: If you had ever seen Aaron Brooks play, you would not think it is a strange idea. Add to that the Saints just lost their OC, who was high on Brooks, and I think a QB is a likely pick if one is there. Did I misread your post?

you have a guy that could potentially go #1 overall, and you got him at #16. seems like a heck of a deal to me.same thing happened with Deuce...I bet plenty of people thought that pick was stupid and I'd say it turned out pretty nicely.I don't know what the contract situation is for Brooks off the top of my head, but if you could groom Smith for a year and then trade Brooks, that might not be too bad of an idea. It's obviously not a huge need for the Saints and unlikely to happen on draft day, but it would have been tough to ignore the value that Smith presented.

If the pick is DE, is Swancutt still available? Anyway, DE isn't the best value out there for the Rams right now. They probably have to replace 2 LBs (assuming they'd want to start 3 good ones if they could), so I would recommend McCune to play ILB. Crowder could play the outside. McCune got good press coming out of the senior bowl. The Rams also are pretty much out of safeties b/c the return to health for both Williams and Archuleta is up in the air. The Rams burnt through a lot of waiver wire DBs b/c of injuries this year. A safety like Atogwe from Stanford could make sense. If the pick is offense, a couple of good OL are out there still: Roos and Mankins.

If the pick is DE, is Swancutt still available? Anyway, DE isn't the best value out there for the Rams right now. They probably have to replace 2 LBs (assuming they'd want to start 3 good ones if they could), so I would recommend McCune to play ILB. Crowder could play the outside. McCune got good press coming out of the senior bowl. The Rams also are pretty much out of safeties b/c the return to health for both Williams and Archuleta is up in the air. The Rams burnt through a lot of waiver wire DBs b/c of injuries this year. A safety like Atogwe from Stanford could make sense. If the pick is offense, a couple of good OL are out there still: Roos and Mankins.
Is Little gone? Or would Swancutt rotate in?Swancutt opposite Hargrove on 3rd downs is downright scary.I agree though, it may not be their biggest need, but Swancutt will be a player for someone, and is a value here.

you have a guy that could potentially go #1 overall, and you got him at #16. seems like a heck of a deal to me.same thing happened with Deuce...I bet plenty of people thought that pick was stupid and I'd say it turned out pretty nicely.I don't know what the contract situation is for Brooks off the top of my head, but if you could groom Smith for a year and then trade Brooks, that might not be too bad of an idea. It's obviously not a huge need for the Saints and unlikely to happen on draft day, but it would have been tough to ignore the value that Smith presented.
:goodposting:Even if Brooks was a competent QB, take BPA. Trade one later when the need arises, but I like the pick.

alright.. swancutt it is... NO is on the clock1 (65). San Francisco 49ers - CJ Moseley - DT - Missouri2 (66) St. Louis Rams (from Miami) - Craphonso Thorpe - WR - Florida St3 (67) Cleveland Browns - Mike Patterson - DT - USC4 (68) Tennessee Titans - Andew Walter - QB - Arizona St5 (69) Oakland Raiders - Ronald Bartell - CB - Howard6 (70) Miami Dolphins (from Chicago) - Jeremy Parquet - OT - Southern Miss7 (71) Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Marcus Johnson - OG - Ole Miss8 (72) Detroit Lions - Jason Campbell QB Aubrun9 (73) Houston Texans(Dallas) - Marion Barber III RB Minnesota10 (74) Washington Redskins - Fred Gibson WR Georgia11 (75) New York Giants - James Butler - S - Georgia Tech12 (76) Arizona Cardinals - Evan Mathis - OG - Alabama13 (77) Philadelphia Eagles(KC) - JJ Arrington RB Cal 14 (78) Houston Texans - Michael Boley LB Southern Missisippi15 (79) Carolina Panthers - JR Russell WR Louisville16 (80) Minnesota Vikings - Mike Nugent - K - The Ohio State University17 (81) St. Louis Rams - Bill Swancutt - DE - Oregon St.18 (82) New Orleans Saints19 (83) Cincinnati Bengals20 (84) Baltimore Ravens 21 (85) Jacksonville Jaguars22 (86) Seattle Seahawks23 (87) Buffalo Bills 24 (88) New York Jets25 (89) Green Bay Packers 26 (90) Denver Broncos - forfeited pick27 (91) Atlanta Falcons28 (92) Tampa Bay Buccaneers(SD)29 (93) Indianapolis Colts30 (94) Philadelphia Eagles 31 (95) New England Patriots32 (96) Pittsburgh Steelers

This anti-Brooks sentiment is funny to me. It's completely irrational. Is QB really the position of need? Hardly. I won't argue that it's a value pick and that might say more about the people drafting in front of you than anything. However, the rationale behind drafting another QB is shoddy. Brooks had his least productive year with the Saints and you're ready to run him out. The allusion to the Ricky-Deuce situation is not truly applicable either. RW's was Ditka's choice. When Haslet took over, RW didn't suit the offense Has & Co wanted to install. Hence the drafting of Deuce. Brooks, like it or not, was Has & Co's choice and will likely remain so despite McCarthy's departure. Moreover, some may argue that the entire offense, and not just Brooks', inconsistencies can be attributed to McCarthy directly. Now, what has been the Achilles heel for the Saints for years now? Defense. And with picks available on defense, you draft a QB. It's not a bad chocie, given the value (not that you were drafting for that, it would seem), but there are were smarter plays to be made.

I didn't draft him. I like Aaron Brooks, but am just saying the value there with Smith would have been hard to ignore.

There's a huge thread around here somewhere where nearly every Saints fan rips on Aaron Brooks (and on ImpSaintsFan). So, it looks like you may be in the minority amongst your own team's fans.

I agree that the defense has been much more to blame for the Saints failures in recent years. But, if there wasn't an obvious pick at defense that is going to help immediately, grabbing the BPA isn't a bad idea and helps maximize value.

This anti-Brooks sentiment is funny to me. It's completely irrational. Is QB really the position of need? Hardly. I won't argue that it's a value pick and that might say more about the people drafting in front of you than anything. However, the rationale behind drafting another QB is shoddy. Brooks had his least productive year with the Saints and you're ready to run him out. The allusion to the Ricky-Deuce situation is not truly applicable either. RW's was Ditka's choice. When Haslet took over, RW didn't suit the offense Has & Co wanted to install. Hence the drafting of Deuce. Brooks, like it or not, was Has & Co's choice and will likely remain so despite McCarthy's departure. Moreover, some may argue that the entire offense, and not just Brooks', inconsistencies can be attributed to McCarthy directly. Now, what has been the Achilles heel for the Saints for years now? Defense. And with picks available on defense, you draft a QB. It's not a bad chocie, given the value (not that you were drafting for that, it would seem), but there are were smarter plays to be made.
First of all, your opinion is welcome but I just don't agree with it. I think that was a good pick at #16 for the Saints. Will it happen on draft day? Who knows, but it is possible. It is also very possible that Smith goes in the top 3. Anyways, instead of harping on the past, why don't you give us who you would take here for the Saints and why?Has the Saints owner been making the picks?

FWIW saintfool, i also agree with you about the anti-Brooks sentiment. Smith was a value pick, sure, but that's not all it was for the person doing the drafting:

My general strategy for the Saints is to target OL, LB, DB, & look for value at QB & TE. Even though QB wasn't a target position, I couldn't pass up Smith at 16. I'm one of those people who feel Aaron Brooks will never lead New Orleans to the promised land. They should start grooming somebody ASAP, IMO. That said, Brooks does give them a capable "transition" QB if they decide not to start the rookie right away.
Calling Brooks a "capable transition QB" seems arguable. But aside from that, the general strategy outlined above makes sense to me.

FWIW, I have no vested interest in the Saints or Brooks for that matter, but I've seen enough of Brooks to develop my outsider opinions just the same. I don't believe Brooks will ever be a QB to lead his team deep into the playoffs regardless of the defensive strength.I hope he proves me wrong, but he simply makes way, way too many mental mistakes. Be that as it may, the Saints playcalling in the red zone has left a lot to be desired as well... and that isn't the fault of Brooks. If I were a Saints fan, I'd hope and pray they finally decide to feature McAllister more and utilize him better in the red zone and within reason take the ball out of Brooks' hand. Of all the teams I watch every Sunday, not one team leaves me more drop-jawed in the play calling and ineffectiveness in the red zone than the Saints...and to bring this back on subject regarding the Saints pick.. hey, maybe they'll take ANOTHER defensive lineman!? hahaha.. j/k and I cringe at the thought of another Sullivan pick.

..and to bring this back on subject regarding the Saints pick.. hey, maybe they'll take ANOTHER defensive lineman!? hahaha.. j/k and I cringe at the thought of another Sullivan pick.
Doesn't Kiper always say a line about getting back on the horse?

The funny thing about Aaron Brooks is that every July/August everyone says, "Wow, Aaron Brooks had a pretty good year last season"...but then come time for the season, you'll see a spectacular performance sprinkled amongst 3-4 adequate ones.But the tell-tale for me about Brooks has nothing to do with his ability. Fact is, I don't see his teammates buying him as a leader. When he tries to lead, it seems as if it's a choreographed attempt to give him more 'responsibility' and when he doesn't lead, he doesn't.I believe the Saints are weighed down by the anchor that is Aaron Brooks physical talent. When he first came onto the scene he was a dynamic playmaker that spurred the Saints to nice heights. But since then for whatever reason the team has stopped responding to him.The run at the end of '04 was nice, but it's almost as if the Saints and Brooks do just enough to keep a flicker of hope alive that this will all come together and then it doesn't. If Smith were available at #16 it would be the a great pick.

With Wayne Gandy at the end of his career and Victor Riley set to leave via FA. The team is looking for an OT and Stinchcomb more suited for OG I think they go OT with this pick.

Anthony Alabi of Texas Christian 6'6" (323)

A converted DE that has made 24 starts at the position and has shown alot of promise and a willingness to learn.

Users who are viewing this thread