What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Joe Mixon, HOU (3 Viewers)

Will the bengals lean on him more if burrow sits? What do think we of mixon?

After Dobbins went down I made a trade to acquire Mixon. He's one of only a handful of RBs who will dominate the carries and get 5-10 targets a week. Cincy looks rough and Burrow's health is concerning but I think it's reasonable to expect a top 10 season based on volume alone.

I think he gets in the end zone at least once this week. At home on Monday night and Rams run defense doesn't scare me.

Last edited:
5-10 targets a week

This seemed like an overstatement, so I looked it up. Last season was Mixon's career high in targets, and he averaged 5.4 targets per game. His career game high is 9 targets, which occurred 3 times in his career, all last season.

That said, I agree he should have a lower top 10 season in total points if he remains healthy.

With Chase Brown now elevated to the Bengals 53 man roster today, could he get some work replacing Mixon carries?

With Chase Brown now elevated to the Bengals 53 man roster today, could he get some work replacing Mixon carries?
Yes, he could. The coaches made mention that they wanted to get him more involved prior to him being injured. With the Bengals season all but over already it would make sense to let some younger guys get some reps.

Yes, he could. The coaches made mention that they wanted to get him more involved prior to him being injured. With the Bengals season all but over already it would make sense to let some younger guys get some reps.
Every year we hear coaches saying they want to give the younger RB's some run, but it rarely happens, unless the entrenched starter fails miserably. Mixon is having a very Mixon year, so why would he cede touches to a 5th round draft choice? Sure, if Mixon went down, I do think Brown would get a decent shot over placeholders Williams and Evans.

Mixon could be a cap casualty next year and the Bengals playoff hopes are gone. It only makes sense to see what they have in Chase. Will he take over as starter? Doubtful. However, it makes zero sense to not see what they have in him. If he produces with those opportunities he most certainly could lower Mixon’s touches as the season progresses.

ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler says that Cincinnati Bengals running back Joe Mixon and defensive tackle BJ hill are among the team's potential salary cap casualties this offseason, even though Mixon totaled 1,034 rushing yards and nine touchdowns in 2023. If the Bengals were to cut Mixon, they'd save $5.8 million for the salary cap. After re-negotiating his deal last year, the 27-year-old is scheduled for an $8.85 million cap hit in 2024 in the final year of his deal. He's due a $3 million roster bonus on March 18, so we'll know by then if he'll be back with Cincinnati. In total, Mixon had 1,410 scrimmage yards and 12 touchdowns, making him the RB7 in half-PPR scoring in the 2023 regular season. As he gets closer to 30 years old, Mixon's days as an RB1 in fantasy could be coming to an end soon, especially if he leaves Cincy.--Keith Hernandez - RotoBaller

Chase Brown Time!!!

I'd be mildly surprised if the Bengals dumped Mixon. He's a team leader and an invaluable part of the passing game. Burrow has said he's a huge part of their protection scheme, and like having a 2nd QB out there. He also has 6 fumbles in 7 seasons. I think the Bengals like him a lot more than fans/media do.

If the Bengals were hurting for cap space in any way I could maybe see it. But they have more space than all but 4 teams.

I think he'll finish his contract out, and then the Bengals re-assess the position in 2025.

This is the same beat writer who last off-season was saying he had to take a paycut or he would get cut.

@ByJayMorrison

There's a good chance the #Bengals move on from Joe Mixon this season, and if they do, they'll be looking to add to the position in free agency and the draft.Who are some of the best - and worst - fits available in free agency

From that article:

But the expectation is that Mixon will not be back for a chance at an eighth. And even if Mixon accepts a pay cut similar to the one he took ahead of 2023 to stick around, he could struggle to lead the team as his carries would be greatly reduced with the emergence of Chase Brown.

I'd be mildly surprised if the Bengals dumped Mixon. He's a team leader and an invaluable part of the passing game. Burrow has said he's a huge part of their protection scheme, and like having a 2nd QB out there. He also has 6 fumbles in 7 seasons. I think the Bengals like him a lot more than fans/media do.

If the Bengals were hurting for cap space in any way I could maybe see it. But they have more space than all but 4 teams.

I think he'll finish his contract out, and then the Bengals re-assess the position in 2025.
Is he worth 8.8M plus 3M roster bonus? I would be mildly surprised if they didn’t cut him.

Is he worth 8.8M plus 3M roster bonus? I would be mildly surprised if they didn’t cut him.
Could always renegotiate, if need be, but I'm not sure his salary matters much. I just know they like him, and he's unlikely to get more (or as much) elsewhere.

Another Bengals beat writer saying same thing I keep hearing, he has to agree to a pay cut to have a shot at sticking on the team. Keep in mind he already cut his pay for 2024 for when accepted the pay cut in 2023, not so much to come down from this time.

Dehner Jr.: It’s hard to find reasons for Bengals to keep Joe Mixon
This may have more legs if Higgins is indeed franchised. Lot of money dedicated to the skill positions, with Chase's deal still to come.

Mixon's contract

$8.85 million cap hit if he stays on the roster and isn't restructured, $2.75 million dead cap hit if he's cut before his roster bonus on March 18.

This is how it usually goes with an older RB. He's always possibly cut. He gets 2 year deals where he never gets all the money that was in year two. It's quite typical.

This draft was poor at RB and now there's several that writers like. I think it's still probably not a very good one. That's definitely in his favor.

There's a slew of older available/ free agent backs and if he gets thrown into the mix...who knows who the Bengals would prefer. Maybe it's Ekeler over Mixon or...idk.

The writing is on the wall though. It's this year or next. We've seen this dance many times before.

Some of the Tee Higgins conversations have them making a push for a year or two. I'm not sure Mixon is the back for that. He is certainly the back for a stay as is and lean on the passing game style.

This is how it usually goes with an older RB. He's always possibly cut. He gets 2 year deals where he never gets all the money that was in year two. It's quite typical.

This draft was poor at RB and now there's several that writers like. I think it's still probably not a very good one. That's definitely in his favor.

There's a slew of older available/ free agent backs and if he gets thrown into the mix...who knows who the Bengals would prefer. Maybe it's Ekeler over Mixon or...idk.

The writing is on the wall though. It's this year or next. We've seen this dance many times before.

Some of the Tee Higgins conversations have them making a push for a year or two. I'm not sure Mixon is the back for that. He is certainly the back for a stay as is and lean on the passing game style.
True - they may just roll it back as is and cede more of the load to Brown - at least certainly in the passing game.

Reactions: Bri
Thought for certain they would cut him last year and draft a replacement but he ended up agreeing to the pay-cut. There were quite a few decent targets at RB in the draft that might have made sense. This year I am quite a bit less sure, the drafts not as strong but i’d guess Mixon agrees to another pay-cut given how many big name FA RB’s are probably going to be out there.

Just going to add when he agreed to the pay cut last season they also cut his pay for this upcoming season. He's effectively being asked to take a pay cut on top of a pay cut and it's not like he's making $8-10m and being asked to come down from that.

His pay for this year is basically on par with effective APY the first two years that RB's like Miles Sanders, Montgomery and Jamaal Wiliams got last season and you'd think at that position teams feel a lot better handing out one year deals then two year deals and that was with a $30M lower cap. What I'm trying to say is Mixon on a one year deal for $5-6M sure seems better to me then effectively guaranteeing those RB's $11-12M for 2 years, and again those Rb's got that money with a much lower cap.

Also the Bengals don't really even need to free up cap space for 2024 and then his contract runs out. The Bengals beat writers I follow I do trust in their reporting that he likely needs to accept a pay cut to remain because their reporting was accurate last season. But to me that they are asking him to take even less then he already agreed to cut down sure makes me think this is more then about just money. Those beat writers have sort of said as much, that they want a more explosive RB and even if he returns will be more sharing the load but those other Rb's I referenced who got $5-6M a year are also all in RBBC situations.

Last thing I'll say is while I trust those Bengals beat writers reporting one thing they keep writing/reporting annoys me in the way they keep framing it. They keep talking about his cap number being over $8M and that being to high to justify but about $3M is that is a sunk cost on the already paid out bonus. His base pay and roster bonus is $5.2M and he's got other I believe easy to reach incentives for basically just showing up and playing each week that can push him over $6m. They just keep trying to frame it like he's not worth $8M but that's not relevant to anything.

NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero reports Bengals will release RB Joe Mixon.

This news comes in conjunction with the signing of running back Zack Moss. The 27-year-old back notched four 1,000-yard seasons in his seven years in Cincinnati while catching 42 passes or more in four of seven seasons as well. There has been no shortage of shakeups in the running back market on the first day of legal tampering, with big names like Derrick Henry and Aaron Jones still available in the free agent pool. That could leave numerous established veterans scrambling for work heading into the 2024 NFL Draft. The Bengals move forward with Moss, Trayveon Williams, Chase Brown, and Chris Evans on their active roster
- Rotoworld

I guess he (Moss) is a year younger? I am unsure if Mixon and the Bengals could not come to terms or if the off-field stuff finally caught up to Mixon. Maybe both. I suppose Moss also could be a slight upgrade.

Trying to figure out where he ends up. For some reason I can see Buffalo picking him up, I assume he wants to play for a contender and a contender would love him as a depth piece. Dallas could also be fun. I'd say Houston, but Singletary had a higher YPC last season and they just let him walk.

Only other place that makes sense is the Rams as a depth piece for Kyren Williams. Seems like a Dalvin Cook type dropoff is potentially in the cards, except Cook was averaging 4.4 YPC when he was cut and Mixon was only averaging 4.0 YPC. Easy come, easy go. Dude might have to wait for a RB to get hurt to find a home. If I was him, I wouldn't be in a hurry to sign anywhere.

I mean, shoot, Dalvin Cook is 28 and Joe Mixon is 27 and people have no problem calling Dalvin Cook washed. Believe it or not, Dalvin Cook actually has less carries (1,349) than Joe Mixon (1,571) in his career. Guessing the Bengals wanted to be a year early vs a year late.

Trying to figure out where he ends up. For some reason I can see Buffalo picking him up, I assume he wants to play for a contender and a contender would love him as a depth piece. Dallas could also be fun. I'd say Houston, but Singletary had a higher YPC last season and they just let him walk.

Only other place that makes sense is the Rams as a depth piece for Kyren Williams. Seems like a Dalvin Cook type dropoff is potentially in the cards, except Cook was averaging 4.4 YPC when he was cut and Mixon was only averaging 4.0 YPC. Easy come, easy go. Dude might have to wait for a RB to get hurt to find a home. If I was him, I wouldn't be in a hurry to sign anywhere.

I mean, shoot, Dalvin Cook is 28 and Joe Mixon is 27 and people have no problem calling Dalvin Cook washed. Believe it or not, Dalvin Cook actually has less carries (1,349) than Joe Mixon (1,571) in his career. Guessing the Bengals wanted to be a year early vs a year late.
Mixon did not show any signs of falling off Cook did not look like Cook when given an opportunity. I think this is more about Mixon outside of football than his abilities. He walks a line of being a guy that could be in a huge scandal and if the Bengals feel like they can get a year younger and get a player they feel is as good or even a better ceiling without the potential tightrope of scandal then that is what you do. Mixon still has a good couple of years in the tank. He will be fine if a team wants to take a chance on him.

Love it. Several days ago I was trying to sell Mixon with the 1.07 to move up in the draft and the 2.07 and Mixon for a 2025 1st. hmm. .

I think the Bengals have been trying to get away from Mixon for 2 years and they finally did. Now here is the thing - they need to go find another guy like Mixon and I don't think that is Moss. Maybe they piece together a Moss/Brown backfield but in reality they should have just kept Mixon.

Mixon without the "issues" is what CIN wanted/needs.

I think the Bengals have been trying to get away from Mixon for 2 years and they finally did. Now here is the thing - they need to go find another guy like Mixon and I don't think that is Moss. Maybe they piece together a Moss/Brown backfield but in reality they should have just kept Mixon.

Mixon without the "issues" is what CIN wanted/needs.
How much copium am I smoking to think they should take a cheap flyer on Dobbins as a potential Mixon replacement? His potential always seemed in line with what Mixon was at his peak.

Nice upgrade for the Texans. Mixon is also really good at the thing the Texans struggled the most with, which is checkdown passes. Mixon is a huge addition for them, as well as probably being an upgrade as a runner, who basically never fumbles.

ETA: Nice upgrade depending on the draft pick given up, being that he was about to be cut, I'm not expecting it to be too high.

Nice upgrade for the Texans. Mixon is also really good at the thing the Texans struggled the most with, which is checkdown passes. Mixon is a huge addition for them, as well as probably being an upgrade as a runner, who basically never fumbles.

ETA: Nice upgrade depending on the draft pick given up, being that he was about to be cut, I'm not expecting it to be too high.
Questions for anyone in general:

(1) Was HOU migrating to the zone blocking system last year?

(2) How will Mixon do in that scheme assuming he no longer has the sizzle for outside zone runs?

(3) Is there a site out there that keeps up-to-date listings of what teams use zone vs. gap blocking as their base AND which RB's are more adept to those schemes?

TIA

Users who are viewing this thread