What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Players Whose Value You Believe Will Ascend In The Off-Season (1 Viewer)

Tom Brady: Again, Brady is a FA this offseason, and he (like lebron) is only going to go to a team that is a QB away from winning it all. So, teams that have a chance for his services (outside of resigning w tampa) are Miami (don't discount the stephen ross love affair w Brady), San Fran (I doubt this), Arizona, or back to Tampa.

In all of those cases he is going to have some really good WRs and barring the injury bug that hit Tampa this year, an O Line.
I can see him going to the Raiders for a year while they draft a young guy that can learn the system from Brady, who better to teach than him . Carr is gone ,mark my words, that marriage is over.

Calvin Ridley

This is of course assuming his mental health is good and he is committed to football. If so, seems a perfect fit with Lawrence assending into top 10 QB range. I mean, look at how well Zay Jones has done this year and Ridley is way more talented. Plus, probably pretty cheap in drafts.
Ridley is a good call. My only concern if he makes it back both mentally and physically would be too many mouths to feed in that offense. Great for Trevor but not necessarily for Ridley’s fantasy value.
He's so head and shoulders better then anyone else they have I don't even remotely worry about the mouths to feed. He's going to explode.
He's also about to turn 29, and hasn't played football in a while. I'd be a little concerned about the other mouths to feed - but I do think he'll be worth significantly more in 2023 than he was in 2022, so appropriate for this topic for sure.

As an aside, if I were a Ridley shareholder, I would sell the second he steps on a field in 2023. I can't help but think there's another shoe to drop here - it was super suspicious at the time, and from his comments I didn't exactly get the impression that he thought he did anything wrong.
For the sake of accuracy, he just turned 28 (Born Dec 20, 1994)

I picked him up and rostered him in both my keeper leagues and my contract dynasty (guy dropped him because he needed the contract years). I'm taking the opposite viewpoint and would be trying to trade for him since he is probably pretty cheap still. Elite route runner who should thrive with Lawrence in a Doug Peterson offense.

Not really worried about him being out the last year plus. Hopefully, he had time to contemplate how fortunate he is to get another chance to make millions playing a game and takes full advantage.

We shall see
Fair.

Also fair is that NFL history is rife with knuckleheads who continue to be knuckleheads and do knuckleheaded things.

Exceedingly rare are the knucklehead redemption stories.

But it’s definitely possible that Ridley is the latter.

Tom Brady: Again, Brady is a FA this offseason, and he (like lebron) is only going to go to a team that is a QB away from winning it all. So, teams that have a chance for his services (outside of resigning w tampa) are Miami (don't discount the stephen ross love affair w Brady), San Fran (I doubt this), Arizona, or back to Tampa.

In all of those cases he is going to have some really good WRs and barring the injury bug that hit Tampa this year, an O Line.
I can see him going to the Raiders for a year while they draft a young guy that can learn the system from Brady, who better to teach than him . Carr is gone ,mark my words, that marriage is over.
Every Raider fan I know would instantly throw bricks through their televisions while screaming “TUCK RULE” until a vein popped.

Not sure how universal this would be across the fan base, but it would br 100% of the 8 dudes I know.

Not one mention of

Rachaad White ????​

Other than @menobrown you mean?

Might wanna save some of those question marks for a rainy day there, chief.
:lol:
A lot of good calls a lot of you beat me to. Toney and especially Lance would have headed my list.

I'm not even going to list them out but I already can't wait till March to see how the FA market is going to go for RB's and the impact on so many players values. IMO nothing will have a bigger impact on off-season values then that FA RB movement. And along with that a few vets who could be released, like Fourneette, whose value would not soar but White's might. Some soaring values will be temporary, soon to be crushed by the draft but how both of those things go is going to change the landscape of the RB market more then any off-season in history, IMO.

Couple of somewhat under the radar guys:

Jordan Love: always the possibility Rodgers hangs it up or gets traded. And if AR does decide to run it back another year, maybe Love gets traded. Guy has some dual purpose skills.

Ty Chandler: Mattison may be moving on and Cook is getting up there in RB age. Chandler had some buzz in the preseason and could replace Mattison as among the best handcuffs to have in a great offense.

Not one mention of

Rachaad White ????​

Other than @menobrown you mean?

Might wanna save some of those question marks for a rainy day there, chief.
:lol:
A lot of good calls a lot of you beat me to. Toney and especially Lance would have headed my list.

I'm not even going to list them out but I already can't wait till March to see how the FA market is going to go for RB's and the impact on so many players values. IMO nothing will have a bigger impact on off-season values then that FA RB movement. And along with that a few vets who could be released, like Fourneette, whose value would not soar but White's might. Some soaring values will be temporary, soon to be crushed by the draft but how both of those things go is going to change the landscape of the RB market more then any off-season in history, IMO.
i didnt read past the first sentence ,sorry

Tom might even be able to make McD appear competent.

They were just discussing this situation on Boston radio. They were hypothesizing that Brady, Gronk, and Edelman would all go to MIA on below market deals. That offense would be insane if they had anything still left in the tank.
Brady is unlikely (also not sure he's enough of an upgrade for them to blow up the Tua experiment). Gronk is even less likely. But EDELMAN?!?!?!? :lmao:

Dude was washed two years ago. And it's not like Miami is desperate for WRs.

I get that it's Boston sports radio, but c'mon!
The scuttlebutt on this (as they were discussing it) was JE11 was too injured to play at the time he got hurt, but with time off may have recovered to the point he could try to play again. It's rumored that all three guys have already discussed going somewhere and playing together again.

In 2020, Edleman had a game with 8 receptions for 180 yards with Cam Newton before he got hurt (and we all know Cam can barely throw these days). Gronk put up 55-800-6 in 12 games last year. Both guys could likely chip in more than the options MIA has been using this season. Their third receiving option, Trent Sherfield, has contributed 387 receiving yards this season. Edelman and Gronk likely are situational players that would contribute on a limited number of snaps, but they could certainly be open targets with defenses having to focus on Hill and Waddle.

I don't expect this to happen, but I don't think it is as crazy as it sounds.
yeah. I think this all has the makings of occurring, especially as Miami now has a QB issue w Tua and Stephen Ross' hard on when it comes to Brady. Now, what does brady have left in the tank? Well, Hill and Waddle make a lot of short passes look like 60 yard bombs so if the king of ball placement can get them the ball where they need it then look out... Mike McD would love to have a TE like Gronk (vs Gesecki who has n place in this offense sadly)

Outside of this: Nico Collins may be a nice WR4 in draft capital that with the right QB could become a WR2 or 3.

I think Mike White has done enough to give him some hype for next year as well, whether that is on the Jets or a different team.

Ty Chandler: Mattison may be moving on and Cook is getting up there in age. Chandler had some buzz in the preseason and could be among the best handcuffs to have in a great offense.
I roster him in my 16-team IDP - If Mattison moves on to greener pastures, he’s absolutely 1 hit away from exploding.

That said, his off-season value bump if/when Mattison departs won’t be that significant. I have it in the same tier as if/when Perine leaves the Bengals & Chris Evans moves up the depth chart.

Always good to have next in line guys, but yeah - until they’re next man up, the value stays about the same.

Calvin Ridley

This is of course assuming his mental health is good and he is committed to football. If so, seems a perfect fit with Lawrence assending into top 10 QB range. I mean, look at how well Zay Jones has done this year and Ridley is way more talented. Plus, probably pretty cheap in drafts.
Ridley is a good call. My only concern if he makes it back both mentally and physically would be too many mouths to feed in that offense. Great for Trevor but not necessarily for Ridley’s fantasy value.
He's so head and shoulders better then anyone else they have I don't even remotely worry about the mouths to feed. He's going to explode.
If I were a betting man, I would take the "implode" side of that equation. He's several years from being relevant AND there's no guarantee the league lets him back in next season. He was a Sell For Anything You Can Get when the suspension happened, but now he's merely a I Got Him For Free So Hold

Crazy talk - Darnold and Baker might actually be worth something. Not an injury rebound but more than they were worth a few months ago.

Justyn Ross - had some hype but hasn’t done anything.

Every Raider fan I know would instantly throw bricks through their televisions while screaming “TUCK RULE” until a vein popped.

Not sure how universal this would be across the fan base, but it would br 100% of the 8 dudes I know.
The guy wins Super bowls and he even admitted it was a fumble , the fans, me included , want to win more than hold a grudge

Calvin Ridley

If I were a betting man, I would take the "implode" side of that equation. He's several years from being relevant AND there's no guarantee the league lets him back in next season. He was a Sell For Anything You Can Get when the suspension happened, but now he's merely a I Got Him For Free So Hold
I think he’s absolutely worth taking a gamble on at a low cost. I’ve held on to him all year, wasting a roster spot along with OBJ.

Crazy talk - Darnold and Baker might actually be worth something. Not an injury rebound but more than they were worth a few months ago.

I don't think Ross is on the radar in any way. I don't see him ever doing anything because of that injury.

I don't think Ross is on the radar in any way. I don't see him every doing anything because of that injury.
Maybe. I’ll burn an IR spot to find out.
But then I’ve also held on to obj, Ridley and just picked up sterling Shepard in that league so what do I know?

Outside of this: Nico Collins may be a nice WR4 in draft capital that with the right QB could become a WR2 or 3.
Hard to say - most mocks have the Texans taking Young, then a WR with their 2nd pick.

What’s Cooks contract? If he’s still there next year, then that puts Collins on track to be their WR3-ish, assuming the 1st round capital is spent on a WR2.

But then, expecting that organization to do the logical/smart thing seems a bit far fetched so sure, Collins could still be the WR2.

Tom might even be able to make McD appear competent.
Save it for the “bold predictions” topic, pal.

Calvin Ridley

He's also about to turn 29, and hasn't played football in a while. I'd be a little concerned about the other mouths to feed - but I do think he'll be worth significantly more in 2023 than he was in 2022, so appropriate for this topic for sure.

As an aside, if I were a Ridley shareholder, I would sell the second he steps on a field in 2023. I can't help but think there's another shoe to drop here - it was super suspicious at the time, and from his comments I didn't exactly get the impression that he thought he did anything wrong.
I sold this previous off-season. Don't regret it in the least. Only thing I regret is not having done it sooner and getting more value.

Not begrudging anyone with a mental health issue. People should be open about it and get the help they need, and we as a society shouldn't hate on people for it.

But the reality is that--in dynasty--he's higher risk to have another issue than someone who hasn't had an issue.
He turns 29 next season.
He's been almost 2 years without playing.
He wasn't playing well the last time we saw him.

I 100% would sell the guy.

I think if I was making a list that was not tied to FA I'd start with Lance and have Pickens next.

My comp for PIckens coming in was Dez Bryant. Dez did this in 12 games vs Pickens 15 but at this point in their rookie seasons their target load is almost dead equal.

Dez: 73/45/561/6

Pickens: 74/47/700/3

Not telling anyone here what they don't already know, that Pickens just needs to be more involved. I lived in the Dallas area when Dez was a rookie and I can recall people going nuts on sports radio that he was being under-utilized and Pickens has been even more under-utilized. I still believe strongly in the comp and fully expect PIckens role and ascension next season to grow.
Love this take. I drafted Pickens in redraft. Watched him all year. He has superstar written all over him. Just needs a QB and scheme to break out. Canada getting fired would help make that happen

Reading the thread title again I think some of us have been answering wrong. Seems like it's not asking which players performance will ascend next year but which players will see a value jump when no games are going.

In that sense it seems 90% of the names should be FA's, trade candidates or a player who a trade,release of another player or letting a player walk in FA would jump their value.

Otherwise seems all you got is off-season chatter which does change things. And Ridley was one that really fits because he's out of sight and mind to a lot of people.
In that case, we have to get the obligatory Khalil Herbert mention in here, yes?

The guy wins Super bowls and he even admitted it was a fumble , the fans, me included , want to win more than hold a grudge
I’m with Zado. Sure, as a Raiders fan, the words “tuck rule” make our blood boil and stomachs flip, but at this point in this sad franchise’s situation, if we’re moving on from Carr, I’d take a 1 year band aid of Brady while we look to draft a successor.

Calvin Ridley

He was playing in week 7 last year.

People with the mindset the league may not let him back next year are probably same people who thought Vick, Watson, AB, etc, etc were done. I'm glad people like this exist.

IMO, a lot of this type of discussion will lead to speculative adds that probably won't turn out as expected or hoped for. As a for instance, if a big-name player leaves in free agency, people will try to snag guys on that NFL roster that stand to gain from the star leaving. But said team could very easily sign, draft, or trade for a replacement down the road, and the players people acquired now could easily go back to being mediocre fantasy options again. Therein lies the commodity type nature of dynasty fantasy football. Some players values will vary a lot across many months with no actual football being played.

I’m with Zado. Sure, as a Raiders fan, the words “tuck rule” make our blood boil and stomachs flip, but at this point in this sad franchise’s situation, if we’re moving on from Carr, I’d take a 1 year band aid of Brady while we look to draft a successor.
Honestly our grudge is with the NFL not Brady, he didnt make that rule call , the refs did

Reading the thread title again I think some of us have been answering wrong. Seems like it's not asking which players performance will ascend next year but which players will see a value jump when no games are going.

In that sense it seems 90% of the names should be FA's, trade candidates or a player who a trade,release of another player or letting a player walk in FA would jump their value.

Otherwise seems all you got is off-season chatter which does change things. And Ridley was one that really fits because he's out of sight and mind to a lot of people.
In that case, we have to get the obligatory Khalil Herbert mention in here, yes?
Sure, if Montgomery signs somewhere else in 2023. He's a UFA.

Calvin Ridley

I picked him up and rostered him in both my keeper leagues and my contract dynasty (guy dropped him because he needed the contract years). I'm taking the opposite viewpoint and would be trying to trade for him since he is probably pretty cheap still. Elite route runner who should thrive with Lawrence in a Doug Peterson offense.

Not really worried about him being out the last year plus. Hopefully, he had time to contemplate how fortunate he is to get another chance to make millions playing a game and takes full advantage.

We shall see
Fair.

Also fair is that NFL history is rife with knuckleheads who continue to be knuckleheads and do knuckleheaded things.

While the betting incident was definitey a "knucklehead" move, I don't think it was malicious. Not like he beat up somebody in a bar or rolled somebody on the street to steal their watch. I get the NFL had to hand out a punishment, but the year he got was kind of excessive when you consider other punishments that were less for more egregious acts (DeShawn Watson anyone).

I guess I will limit mine to dirt cheap options that are probably free in most leagues. These are guys I'm eyeing off the waiver wire before the shutdown in my league. Most likely I will just be cutting them to make room for my draft picks in August. However, these are guys that I think have some small chance of an offseason ascension to the extent that I might want to keep them.

Daniel Bellinger - surprised he hasn't been picked up since returning from the eye injury, even though he hasn't done much in the box score since his return. Young, decent profile, pretty much the TE1 on the Giants. I really don't have the space for him with Likely as my current TE3 stash, but given Likely's path to playing time in '23 compared Bellinger, I'm starting to consider a swap.

Jake Ferguson - Heard that the Cowboys really liked him and that there was no guarantee that they'd be bringing back Schultz. If this was a plan, I'm not sure how Ferguson's injury might have affected that. Was more bullish on this one earlier in the year, but it still might be worth an add in a deeper or TE premium league.

Khalil Shakir - Recently dropped. I'm not sure that Gabe Davis has completely run away with the WR2 job for '23. If I'm sniffing around for diamonds in the rough, I usually like to do it on offenses like this.

Nyheim Hines - I had to drop him when it became apparent that he would have no fantasy role on Buffalo to start. That doesn't mean that he won't get more involved in the playoffs. Obviously, if he does come back on the radar next season it's behind Cook. But if Singletary is on the way out, that would still be interesting to me.

Tyson Chandler - Real deep dive here. I think Mattison is on the way out. And while I fully expect the Vikings to add another thumper to the backfield if Mattison leaves, I'm not sure how much pedigree that RB will actually have. Chandler put up some really nice tape in the pre-season. If the '23 RBs are Cook, JAG, and Chandler, I'm interested in Chandler. *edit* @zamboni , you beat me to this one, not an attempt to plagiarize your work, but I do like this call for deeper leagues.

Metchie - Didn't love him as a prospect before the diagnosis, but I could see taking a flier on him given the Texans receiving core. *edit* same for @jm192

Last edited:
Desmond Ridder. ATL offense looks like it is coming together: Algiers mentioned several times in this thread, London having a decent rookie campaign (especially with Ridder), and Pitts coming back next year. I think if everything in that offense continues to progress, they could lead the NFC South next year.

Calvin Ridley

We shall see
Fair.

While the betting incident was definitey a "knucklehead" move, I don't think it was malicious. Not like he beat up somebody in a bar or rolled somebody on the street to steal their watch. I get the NFL had to hand out a punishment, but the year he got was kind of excessive when you consider other punishments that were less for more egregious acts (DeShawn Watson anyone).
Ridley’s “crime” was worse than watsons by a factor of 100

He gambled on a game in which he played.

It calls into question the integrity of every game in the sport, and IMO rather than being excessive, I’d say he was lucky to have not been banned for life.

Reasonable minds can disagree

Metchie, maybe.
Good call - I was going to mention him along with the aforementioned Nico Collins. I think Cooks is gone, so one of these guys could ascend if they don’t draft a top tier rookie. Collins flashed for a bit earlier this year - wish we had seen more of him.

IMO, a lot of this type of discussion will lead to speculative adds that probably won't turn out as expected or hoped for.
Of course, but that’s the point of this thread - mainly for deep keeper/dynasty leagues. Guys you might be able to get at a discount now, but if they don’t pan out in the offseason, you move on.

My point exactly.

Calvin Ridley

We shall see
Fair.

It calls into question the integrity of every game in the sport, and IMO rather than being excessive, I’d say he was lucky to have not been banned for life.

He wasn't playing when he made the bets. But they did involve the Falcons games. I would agree with you 100 percent if he had played in the game.

Ridley placed the bets during a period spanning Nov. 23-28, at a time when the receiver was away from the team on the non-football illness (NFI) list. He needed a break from football to focus on his mental well-being, he had written in an Oct. 31 statement.

My point exactly.
Herbert seemed like he had more future potential upside before he got hurt. Seemed to be splitting with Montgomery, maybe even taking over. Now with Montgomery regaining control of the backfield, not sure if that is an indication that Eberflus has soured on Herbert and he may not be the heir apparent if Montgomery leaves.

My gut sense is that Montgomery will find a lukewarm market for his services and re-signs with the Bears.

some good calls in here. you're missing:
Deshaun Watson - he'll get his stuff together and start throwing darts again. A new coaching staff will do wonders. how can you keep the current staff in place?

The Colts, ladies and Gentlemen, The Colts are the team that would benefit from Brady or A. Rogers arrival. best o-line, decent WRs that a draft pick or two could improve, good RB. Get some competent coaching and a good QB and you're off to the races.

Trevor Lawrence is the next great one and will take that step up in 2023.

Just imagine the Jets with Rogers or Brady at the helm. great young WRs and RBs, solid defense.

TB's White is going to take on a bigger role in 2023 I think they let 4nette go.

Someone mentioned Rashod Bateman -may I ask why?! how many years are we going to wait for his 'arrival'? I mean, he's not anything special, he's an average guy playing for a below average offense with a running QB who can't win playoff games. move along nothing to see here. What's his best outlook, 65/850/4?

Jets' G. Wilson is going to be a studly WR for the next 10-12 years we're only scratching the surface here.
Is A. Mattison going to be with the Vikings in 2023? potential starter elsewhere in a league that is lacking for quality RBs.
J. Williams should be ready for the season opener in 2023 in Denver. if they can only get a good coaching staff in place.
George Pickens is a nice call.
Treylon Burks has the look of a Beast in the making. You have to think Tenn fires that dopey Vrabel when they fail to make the post season this year. Get rid of the coaches bring in someone with a less run-heavy, more balanced offense and you have a recipe for success.
Khlil Herbert is better than Monty hopefully the lousy Bears HC figures this out.

Don't believe that Andy Reid knows a friggin thing about WR's, don't believe the Skyy Moore hype he'll never amount to a hill of beans in KC. Reid's history of drafting lousy WR's is legendary. google it, there's about 11-2 guys he's drafted that have never panned out. Add Moore to the list.

Evan Engram has more ascension to go , as he climbs to the top 5 TEs in Fantasy.

My point exactly.
Herbert seemed like he had more future potential upside before he got hurt. Seemed to be splitting with Montgomery, maybe even taking over. Now with Montgomery regaining control of the backfield, not sure if that is an indication that Eberflus has soured on Herbert and he may not be the heir apparent if Montgomery leaves.

My gut sense is that Montgomery will find a lukewarm market for his services and re-signs with the Bears.
I'd say it's 50/50. Herbert isn't an UFA until 2025.

Calvin Ridley

We shall see
Fair.

He wasn't playing when he made the bets. But they did involve the Falcons games. I would agree with you 100 percent if he had played in the game.

Ridley placed the bets during a period spanning Nov. 23-28, at a time when the receiver was away from the team on the non-football illness (NFI) list. He needed a break from football to focus on his mental well-being, he had written in an Oct. 31 statement.
Yeah, well, I’m not totally sure I believe that. There was a video compilation going around at the time that showed him actively trying to not score on sure-fire TD receptions - some of them preposterously inexplicable.

I believe he was gambling on games he played in - the evidence on the field seemed extremely clear. IMO that’s why they dropped the hammer on him.

I also believe his mental issues may have been “consciousness of guilt” or “anxiety that he was about to be exposed”.

It would be in the NFL’s best interest to sweep truly damning stuff under the rug, too, so what’s in the official statements can maybe be taken with a grain of salt.

I’m the complete opposite of a conspiracy theorist - but watching that dude completely beat coverage downfield and then inexplicably run backwards into a tackle seemed sus at the time, and then when it came out later that he’d gambled suddenly it made sense.

We don’t have to re-litigate it here, but I thought he deserved harsher than 1 year.

some good calls in here. you're missing:
Deshaun Watson - he'll get his stuff together and start throwing darts again. A new coaching staff will do wonders. how can you keep the current staff in place?

The Colts, ladies and Gentlemen, The Colts are the team that would benefit from Brady or A. Rogers arrival. best o-line, decent WRs that a draft pick or two could improve, good RB. Get some competent coaching and a good QB and you're off to the races.
Where have you been in 2022? The Colts OL has been horrible. Decent WRs? hmm......OK, decent with Pittman and I do believe Pierce will get better in 2023. The Colts are going to have to do some major improvements to the OL as far as pass blocking. They've gotten every QB killed this year and last year.

Edited to add: I'm sick of geezer QB signings every year. Rodgers may change my mind, but Brady needs to retire.

Calvin Ridley

We shall see
Fair.

Yeah, well, I’m not totally sure I believe that. There was a video compilation going around at the time that showed him actively trying to not score on sure-fire TD receptions - some of them preposterously inexplicable.

I believe he was gambling on games he played in - the evidence on the field seemed extremely clear. IMO that’s why they dropped the hammer on him.

I also believe his mental issues may have been “consciousness of guilt” or “anxiety that he was about to be exposed”.

It would be in the NFL’s best interest to sweep truly damning stuff under the rug, too, so what’s in the official statements can maybe be taken with a grain of salt.

I’m the complete opposite of a conspiracy theorist - but watching that dude completely beat coverage downfield and then inexplicably run backwards into a tackle seemed sus at the time, and then when it came out later that he’d gambled suddenly it made sense.

We don’t have to re-litigate it here, but I thought he deserved harsher than 1 year.
Wasn't the suspension "Indefinite, can apply for reinstatement after 1 year?"

I feel like when it came out people were saying there was no guarantee he'd play again

Calvin Ridley

We shall see
Fair.

Wasn't the suspension "Indefinite, can apply for reinstatement after 1 year?"

I feel like when it came out people were saying there was no guarantee he'd play again
Yes - that’s exactly what it was.

Users who are viewing this thread