What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Karlos Williams, RB (BUF) (1 Viewer)

The Buffalo News estimates Karlos Williams was 20-25 pounds overweight when he reported to Bills minicamp.
Williams, of course, blamed the gain on overeating during his wife's pregnancy and was not allowed to practice. The Buffalo News believes Williams' grip on the Bills' No. 2 running back job is no longer secure, particularly after the team drafted Arkansas' Jonathan Williams. Karlos scored nine all-purpose touchdowns as a rookie. His 2015 NFL Combine weigh-in was 6-foot-1 and 230 pounds, indicating Williams reported to minicamp weighing over 250.

Source: Buffalo News
Jul 11 - 4:59 PM

He performed fairly well last year when called upon. I think he could be a long term starter. 
5.6 yards per attempt on 93 attempts and 8.7 yards per reception on 11 catches.  Seems better than fairly well.

Of course those numbers wouldn't hold up if he saw 250 touches but it does suggest that he has enough ability to be trusted to carry the load.

5.6 yards per attempt on 93 attempts and 8.7 yards per reception on 11 catches.  Seems better than fairly well.

Of course those numbers wouldn't hold up if he saw 250 touches but it does suggest that he has enough ability to be trusted to carry the load.
All well and good, however,

the current events are reporting he showed up dressed up as the Stay Puff Marshmellow Man at OTAs.

Someone didn't get the memo that there's no Off Season in the NFL, especially when there's a talented hungry draft pick right on your heels.

All well and good, however,

the current events are reporting he showed up dressed up as the Stay Puff Marshmellow Man at OTAs.

Someone didn't get the memo that there's no Off Season in the NFL, especially when there's a talented hungry draft pick right on your heels.
Yup he got fat but I'm not going to write him off just yet.  I think Jonathan Williams is a threat but right now I think Mike Gillislee and Dan Herron should be more worried about him than K.Williams.

Very few rookies are game ready at this level and it looks like J.Williams wasn't doing much in passing situations at Arkansas (obviously the offense doesn't call on them for that) so he probably has more to learn in that facet of the game than most rookie RBs.

In a dynasty I can see being more interested in J.Williams than K.Williams but in a redraft I think it works the other way in 2016 regardless of his weight.  But we'll see, maybe K.Williams can't control himself and will eat himself out of the league by training camp.

Yup he got fat but I'm not going to write him off just yet.  I think Jonathan Williams is a threat but right now I think Mike Gillislee and Dan Herron should be more worried about him than K.Williams.

Very few rookies are game ready at this level and it looks like J.Williams wasn't doing much in passing situations at Arkansas (obviously the offense doesn't call on them for that) so he probably has more to learn in that facet of the game than most rookie RBs.

In a dynasty I can see being more interested in J.Williams than K.Williams but in a redraft I think it works the other way in 2016 regardless of his weight.  But we'll see, maybe K.Williams can't control himself and will eat himself out of the league by training camp.
Gillislee looked real good last year, and he's a special teams contributer. I think Herron will very likely be the first one out. 

Karlos looked good, too, but with Gillislee and Jonathan nipping at his heels, he better be careful.

But he had a hungry girlfriend guilting him into eating.  Which is scarier...hungry rookie or hungry girlfriend?

Agree. He's big and has straight speed, but he's not an NFL starting RB and not a threat to Shady. 
Did you watch him play at all last season (not trying to throw that out as the typical board insult)? He looked very explosive and showed quick feet for his size. He is more of a "power back" then a slasher like Shady, but I would disagree as to him not showing that he could be a starting RB or a threat to Shady - and I have no bias as I am not an owner of any part of the Buffalo offense.

I will say that he does run upright, since he's 6'1", so he does expose himself to big hits and was constantly banged up last season - so in that regard maybe he would struggle as a full time feature back.

Did you watch him play at all last season (not trying to throw that out as the typical board insult)? He looked very explosive and showed quick feet for his size. He is more of a "power back" then a slasher like Shady, but I would disagree as to him not showing that he could be a starting RB or a threat to Shady - and I have no bias as I am not an owner of any part of the Buffalo offense.

I will say that he does run upright, since he's 6'1", so he does expose himself to big hits and was constantly banged up last season - so in that regard maybe he would struggle as a full time feature back.
I did watch him and was impressed for a rookie with no hype,  generally poor scouting reports, some awful workout metrics  and questionable college performance. I saw size, I saw speed. I saw a little more cutback and burst than I expected, but I didn't see a starting NFL RB. 

According to WKBW's Joe Buscaglia, Karlos Williams' conditioning drills off to the side of Bills minicamp practices were "ugly."
After spending the spring overeating with his pregnant fiancée "at all hours of the day," Buscaglia says Williams was "visibly exhausted by the workouts." Williams did not practice at minicamp. As Buscaglia also notes, whether Williams will be permitted to resume practicing at training camp will depend on his "weigh-in and the subsequent conditioning test." Based on Twitter pictures we've seen of Williams, we'd be a bit surprised if he were cleared to practice on day one.

Source: WKBW Buffalo 
Jul 14 - 9:07 PM

The hits keep coming. Karlos is suspended 4 games for substance abuse. He might not be long for the league.

Dr. Octopus said:

Bad news about the suspension.

Bills' Karlos Williams suspended four games

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000675000/article/bills-karlos-williams-suspended-four-games

"The Bills hoped Williams would reprise his role as a smash-mouth accompaniment to LeSean McCoy. As a rookie, Williams earned 517 yards on just 93 carries (5.6 yard per tote average) and seven rushing touchdowns. Among all players with 90-plus carries last season, Williams had the second-highest yards per rush in the NFL in 2015."

Serious question - What percentage of the time does a four game suspension signal that a player will soon be out of the league? Dunno.

As to his talent and potential to be a feature RB, imo it is important to remember that, like Jeremy Langford, A) he only played RB two years in college and B) he was one of the fastest RBs at the combine. He could have upside and improve with pro positional coaching. He is clearly a gifted athlete. As a prep, he was ranked by Rivals the #2 safety in the nation and a top 10 overall talent at any position. Not an exact analogy, but it might be similar to if Calvin Pryor, Landon Collins or Karl Joseph switched to RB in their last two years of college. It is to be expected there would be some adjustment. I think Langford ran a 4.42 (fastest among RBs in 2015) and is listed at 208 lbs. Williams ran a 4.48 at 230 lbs., which weight adjusted, is pretty freaky. How many 230+ lb. RBs have cracked 4.5 in the past decade, it could be a small list. I wouldn't say he has great phone booth quicks, but he isn't just a straight-line stiff, either, he is at least a one cut runner with some contact balance, COD ability that presents a dangerous size/strength/speed combo in the open field (and on the bonus plan, appears to have at least decent hands).

Buffalo Bills RB Karlos Williams can set an NFL record on Monday Night Football 11-21-15

http://www.scout.com/nfl/bills/story/1614485-karlos-williams-can-set-nfl-record-on-mnf     

"In his first six games, Williams has found the end zone seven times. He's scored five times on the ground and has two touchdown receptions over the six games, and at least one score in each game. This currently has Williams tied with former Patriots running back Robert Edwards for most."

So despite limited experience at his position, and limited action, he had one of the best averages in the NFL, and tied an NFL rookie consecutive game scoring record. In both instances, something nearly all STARTING RBs never come close to. For me, he has intriguing, if not compelling talent, and I'm interested to see what kind of follow up he is capable of if he can get his act together and in shape. The sub-100 carries is a two-edged sword. He is relatively unproven, but it makes me wonder what kind of production he could have had given an expanded role. Are there really 32 RBs in the NFL with superior athleticism, measureables and pure rushing ability than Williams (to be fair, different ways to define starting caliber talent, maybe there aren't necessarily 32 at any given time, and those that are CURRENTLY counted among them, may not be for much longer, either)? I think it is at least an open question, for me the answer isn't obviously yes. And that is NOW, not factoring in potential improvement.    

For practical purposes, McCoy is the starter for now, and possibly for a few more years, making Williams more of a long term dynasty play (unless he gets a bigger RBBC complementary role, not off to a good start in '16). But McCoy turns 29 before next season. 

BUF rookie highlights '15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC72DWtcMg0  

FSU career highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEguQaqTBfM

Last edited by a moderator:
Any Bills homers? For those who watched Williams... I have an opportunity to buy low for him. Did the Bills see him as a starter once McCoys finished? Now seems like a time to buy very low. How much does the 4 game suspension hurt him? How much will he contribute if he gets his weight under control?

Any Bills homers? For those who watched Williams... I have an opportunity to buy low for him. Did the Bills see him as a starter once McCoys finished? Now seems like a time to buy very low. How much does the 4 game suspension hurt him? How much will he contribute if he gets his weight under control?
He is in grave danger of being cut IMO. The rook screwed up but likely won't be suspended for awhile and also doesn't look like Jabba the Hut. And Gillislee looked very good last year as well. Karlos absolutely should be on the bubble and if he doesn't look dynamite by the preseason, the Bills should cut him IMO.

He is in grave danger of being cut IMO. The rook screwed up but likely won't be suspended for awhile and also doesn't look like Jabba the Hut. And Gillislee looked very good last year as well. Karlos absolutely should be on the bubble and if he doesn't look dynamite by the preseason, the Bills should cut him IMO.
I would normally say this sounds a bit like knee-jerk reaction for a short yardage pound-it-between the tackles guy on offense...... but given the judgement he displayed in just a few months away from football I would tend to question what type of shape he shows up in week 5..... and does he have to get back in shape AGAIN? Maybe a higher injury risk? 

I would normally say this sounds a bit like knee-jerk reaction for a short yardage pound-it-between the tackles guy on offense...... but given the judgement he displayed in just a few months away from football I would tend to question what type of shape he shows up in week 5..... and does he have to get back in shape AGAIN? Maybe a higher injury risk? 
Also you would like to think a second year player that wasn't highly touted and has lots of competition on the team would have spent the offseason improving. So instead of improving or even staying neutral he went backwards which means he will likely have to spend camp just getting back into shape. These are major issues IMO. 

Last edited by a moderator:
ESPN Bills reporter Mike Rodak doesn't consider suspended RB Karlos Williams a lock to make the team.
Rodak admits Williams "should be safe," but this is a reminder just how bad of an offseason Williams had after an impressive rookie year. He reported to the team considerably overweight, looked badly out of shape in side-field conditioning drills at minicamp, and was slapped with a four-game suspension for violating the substance-abuse policy. Williams will have some depth chart climbing to do when he returns. Mike Gillislee is the favorite for No. 2 duties.

Source: ESPN.com 
Jul 27 - 9:23 AM

Bills waived RB Karlos Williams.
This seems like a shocking development on the surface, but Williams' actions this offseason almost gave the Bills no choice. After showing up to camp 20-25 pounds overweight, Williams was slapped with a four-game suspension for violating the substance-abuse policy. Still, Rex Ryan said at the beginning of August that Williams' roster spot is safe, so it is possible another infraction led to this release. Mike Gillislee is now locked in as the LeSean McCoy's backup with Jonathan Williams and Reggie Bush likely to be involved as well. Considering he scored nine total touchdowns on just 104 touches as a rookie, another team will definitely take a shot on the talented 23-year-old.
:o

another team may take a shot at him, but the question is if he is worth holding in dynasty.  

20ish man roster i'm leaning towards cutting him.  

Well, that was a brief honeymoon.

I'm kind of interested now.  I think the BIlls  had a crowded backfield, and Karlos messed up in the offseason, but if he winds up in a nice situation, he could actually increase his value.  

This is dependent on him pulling his head out of his culo, but the price won't be high.  

Well, that was a brief honeymoon.

I'm kind of interested now.  I think the BIlls  had a crowded backfield, and Karlos messed up in the offseason, but if he winds up in a nice situation, he could actually increase his value.  

This is dependent on him pulling his head out of his culo, but the price won't be high.  
He's a fat drug user. Not sure how well this condition translates to being a productive NFL RB.

Wow

This just goes to show you - all NFL running backs are just an all you can eat buffet offseason away from being out of a job.  

Who would have predicted this after last season?

Users who are viewing this thread