What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lache Seastrunk - RB - Baylor (2 Viewers)

A very good ST player (and also a RB) Cyrus Gray was cut by KC. He's from Texas and went to A&M.

I wonder about "he would upgrade our special teams" players and if they could nudge Lache out the door.
Always liked Cyrus Gray. Your connect the dots to take him back "home" looks good on paper.

loose circuits said:
I don't understand the, he got cut by 3 teams so he must suck argument. Coaches have been wrong multiple times. He didn't even put pads on with the Titans. He obviously has some things to work on and maybe they just didn't have the roster room. Arian Foster, who has been one of the best RBs in the league past few years, started out on the practice squad and nobody else claimed him. Does that mean he sucks? Coaches get it wrong, players take different paths...it happens

I think most people that are hating probably have a fixed mindset meaning they think that players can only be good as they are in that moment in time. There is no working for improvement as you are born with a certain level of ability. I strongly believe in the growth mindset which tells me players can change, develop, and good things can happen if they keep grinding. While I don't know how hard Lache works, but i know he is born with enough athletic ability if he can figure the rest out. Plenty of players have taken weird paths. Look at James Harrison- the Steelers cut him 3 times and the Ravens cut him once- what did he become?
Says the guy who spent 40% of his blind bid money on him. 40%.... is about %39 too high.

You don't understand why getting cut by three teams doesn't bode well? It's not IMPOSSIBLE for him to succeed, but it isn't likely either. That's why people call him a lottery ticket. He's cheap but there is a small chance he might pay off. You acquire him for next to nothing from the waiver - not blow almost half your budget on him.

Other concerns about Lache? Very limited experience in the passing game; questions as a receiver and pass blocker. College production inflated by big running lanes. Also featured fly sweeps and lateral runs that have not translated to NFL game. Character issues. Advisor accepted payments which caused (Oregon NCAA probation) him to transfer and loss year of eligibility; "Beats to the beat of his own drum"; Seen as a complementary back (size/durability).

It's not all bad... As a pure runner he gets good reviews. Is he the type of guy who can improve? I have my doubts. Generally, I like a humble, blue collar attitude. Calling yourself the best college back in the country and predicting you'll win the Heisman tells me he is full of himself.

The best thing you can say for him is he is on the right team. There are backs ahead of him and Dallas could bring someone in at any time. The Cowboys have SB aspirations - it's a real long shot they would put their trust in an unproven RB, especially in pass protection.

So factor in everything and he is a long shot worth a minor investment.

loose circuits said:
I don't understand the, he got cut by 3 teams so he must suck argument. Coaches have been wrong multiple times. He didn't even put pads on with the Titans. He obviously has some things to work on and maybe they just didn't have the roster room. Arian Foster, who has been one of the best RBs in the league past few years, started out on the practice squad and nobody else claimed him. Does that mean he sucks? Coaches get it wrong, players take different paths...it happens

I think most people that are hating probably have a fixed mindset meaning they think that players can only be good as they are in that moment in time. There is no working for improvement as you are born with a certain level of ability. I strongly believe in the growth mindset which tells me players can change, develop, and good things can happen if they keep grinding. While I don't know how hard Lache works, but i know he is born with enough athletic ability if he can figure the rest out. Plenty of players have taken weird paths. Look at James Harrison- the Steelers cut him 3 times and the Ravens cut him once- what did he become?
Says the guy who spent 40% of his blind bid money on him. 40%.... is about %39 too high.

You don't understand why getting cut by three teams doesn't bode well? It's not IMPOSSIBLE for him to succeed, but it isn't likely either. That's why people call him a lottery ticket. He's cheap but there is a small chance he might pay off. You acquire him for next to nothing from the waiver - not blow almost half your budget on him.

Other concerns about Lache? Very limited experience in the passing game; questions as a receiver and pass blocker. College production inflated by big running lanes. Also featured fly sweeps and lateral runs that have not translated to NFL game. Character issues. Advisor accepted payments which caused (Oregon NCAA probation) him to transfer and loss year of eligibility; "Beats to the beat of his own drum"; Seen as a complementary back (size/durability).

It's not all bad... As a pure runner he gets good reviews. Is he the type of guy who can improve? I have my doubts. Generally, I like a humble, blue collar attitude. Calling yourself the best college back in the country and predicting you'll win the Heisman tells me he is full of himself.

The best thing you can say for him is he is on the right team. There are backs ahead of him and Dallas could bring someone in at any time. The Cowboys have SB aspirations - it's a real long shot they would put their trust in an unproven RB, especially in pass protection.

you make some good points, but my point is the fact that he was cut 3x does not mean he cannot do it because plenty of guys have bucked that trend and each guy is different so that is not a reason to completely write him off. Was 40% blind bid cash too much? Probably, but there isn't a guarantee it would amount to anything if i kept it in a 12x30'non-Idp league. If he sticks it will only be a matter of time before he gets a chance and While he may have benefited from the system at Baylor, he showed good vision to me in the open field which allowed him to flourish. Could be a similar opportunity in Dallas I would hope that being cut 3x would humble the man and agree he needs to grind to make it. You agree that he has the physical tools to make it work. He has to earn that opportunity and he can do it if his mind is in the right place

I don't know that plenty of guys have bucked this trend. The list of guys who take the path Seastrunk is taking and actually pay off is remarkably small. The fact of the matter is guys who get cut by 3 teams in such a short amount and with so little to show for their time on those teams usually just aren't very good. We can talk about him being weird, strange or whatever from a personality standpoint. Teams are often willing to put up with weird and odd personalities if the talent is there.

Last edited by a moderator:

you make some good points, but my point is the fact that he was cut 3x does not mean he cannot do it because plenty of guys have bucked that trend and each guy is different so that is not a reason to completely write him off. Was 40% blind bid cash too much? Probably, but there isn't a guarantee it would amount to anything if i kept it in a 12x30'non-Idp league. If he sticks it will only be a matter of time before he gets a chance and While he may have benefited from the system at Baylor, he showed good vision to me in the open field which allowed him to flourish. Could be a similar opportunity in DallasI would hope that being cut 3x would humble the man and agree he needs to grind to make it. You agree that he has the physical tools to make it work. He has to earn that opportunity and he can do it if his mind is in the right place
Let's hope he can show enough to make himself some money and have a career he can be proud of... You don't have to be a fantasy stud to be a good football player.

He does what Dunbar does but Dunbar has been in the system for 3 years.

He's a practice squad guy at best this season.
No, nothing like Dunbar. Dunbar's strength is receiving and that's how he'll earn his paycheck. Receiving is one of Seastrunk's big weaknesses. Not sure how you came up with that comparison.

No, nothing like Dunbar. Dunbar's strength is receiving and that's how he'll earn his paycheck. Receiving is one of Seastrunk's big weaknesses. Not sure how you came up with that comparison.
You're absolutely right. I was posting that in a hurry and should have said they're similar physically in stature but (Seastrunk) doesn't have the receiving skills of Dunbar.

You're absolutely right. I was posting that in a hurry and should have said they're similar physically in stature but (Seastrunk) doesn't have the receiving skills of Dunbar.
Ironically, the Redskins drafted him specifically to be a receiving back

http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/7669/redskins-scouting-report-lache-seastrunk

Seastrunk's lack of receiving skills is more of a media meme, as it's really just an unknown. The lead back at Baylor just doesn't have many receiving opportunities... Of the last three lead backs (Glasco Martin, Seastrunk and Linwood) none have caught more than 9 passes in a season (and that 9 was Seastrunk in 2012). He caught two passes last year in the Redskins fourth preseason game and looked just fine doing it, catching the ball with his hands... took one for an 80 yard TD.

He's a long shot to do anything, certainly, but I'll look forward to seeing him this preseason. He looked great as a runner in the Redskins preseason last year, regularly picking up chunk yardage in the preseason. With McFadden injured and recent chatter of him having an outside chance at not making the roster, Lache is the perfect lotto ticket--was free to add from the WW and no sweat sending him back there if nothing pans out.

Coaches have stopped practice numerous times to instruct him how to carry the ball, block and blitz pickup.

Coaches said he has "the want to" which is good.

Did well as a receiver.

Imo, practice squad would be best case senario.

He's got 3 different teams that don't even consider this guy rosterable. Not that he just isn't spot starting or RBBC material, but that there isn't even a spot on the bench as a 4th or 5th RB. Now in DAL he's being spoken of as possibly being PS material. NFL coaches don't keep there jobs by cutting studs. If one team does, they may be wrong. But multiple teams? They clearly are not seeing anything worth spending a roster spot on

I'd guess the FFers have a much greater chance of being way off base more so than a few NFL coaching staffs. That's happened before too.

Oh - and ETA, that's not "hating" on him. :lol:

NFL coaches don't keep there jobs by cutting studs. If one team does, they may be wrong. But multiple teams? They clearly are not seeing anything worth spending a roster spot on

I'd guess the FFers have a much greater chance of being way off base more so than a few NFL coaching staffs. That's happened before too.

As noted James Harrison was cut multiple times, Kurt Warner was undrafted & cut by the Packers, Justin Forsett was cut 3 times. NFL coaches may be right most of the time, but not always.

NFL coaches don't keep there jobs by cutting studs. If one team does, they may be wrong. But multiple teams? They clearly are not seeing anything worth spending a roster spot on

As noted James Harrison was cut multiple times, Kurt Warner was undrafted & cut by the Packers, Justin Forsett was cut 3 times. NFL coaches may be right most of the time, but not always.
Good. Now list all the players that FFers thought were future studs based upon their college tapes and then turned into nonfactors.

Good. Now list all the players that FFers thought were future studs based upon their college tapes and then turned into nonfactors.
That's your little personal obsession. You list all the players FFers thought were future studs based upon their college tapes and then turned into nonfactors. My point was to refute your idea that multiple teams don't cut players that put up studly numbers. It has happened, and I'm sure it will happen again. Will it be Seastrunk? I don't know, but to say it can't happen because multiple teams have cut him is just incorrect.

That's your little personal obsession. You list all the players FFers thought were future studs based upon their college tapes and then turned into nonfactors. My point was to refute your idea that multiple teams don't cut players that put up studly numbers. It has happened, and I'm sure it will happen again. Will it be Seastrunk? I don't know, but to say it can't happen because multiple teams have cut him is just incorrect.
I think it's safe to say that being cut by three different teams (two of which had very little at RB) in one season raises some red flags. That isn't to say that Seastrunk has no chance (I have him on two rosters so would love for him to break out), but the odds are certainly stacked against him right now.

I'm torn on this guy. It is pretty damning that he has been cut multiple times and the negative reports that seem to come with him.

With that being said, however, he was cut by two teams in Washington and Tennessee that have been about as poor as it comes in assessing talent in recent years and the Panthers who seemingly ALWAYS misuse their RB talent. So, if nothing else, its not like this was The Seahawks or Broncos or Steelers or somebody cutting him.

He also has very little talent standing in his way and one of the guys "standing" in his way can never seem to stay on a field for a month at a time, anyway.

Over the years I can remember guys that looked the part but had knocks on them that seemed to get labeled as this or that early and got bounced around until they found the right fit (or got picked up by a team at all) so I guess I can think of worse flyers to take.

STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
If my 10 year old daughter took the amount of roids and HGH that James Jarrison has taken she could make a NFL roster.
Mr Harrison has a reply for you. https://instagram.com/p/5inMcDpFje/
Can't make a team for YEARS and then turns into the best LB in the league for 3-4 years then falls apart.

Seems legit.
You should probably do a little reading before making a comment like that. He became draft eligible in 2002, went undrafted, signed by the Steelers, on and off the practice squad (as many undrafted players tend to do), signed by the Ravens and back to the Steelers full time by 2004. Had some starts in 2005 and was an All-Pro in 2007. So no, not YEARS. At the "old" age of 36 he still played well last year. So, a decade after making his first career start he's still playing at a high enough level to make the team and be an integral part of their defense.

I think people don't really understand the level of the typical NFL player. Only 3% of all HS athletes play a sport in college. To make it to the NFL these guys are in a small fraction of the top percentile. There are some players with the physical ability to make it into the top 1%, but they just don't have the mental capacity or they have significant gaps in the technique at whatever point in time. Figuring out the fine points of the game can vault them from the top 1 percent to that fraction of people that are successful, but they also need an opportunity. James Harrison was that type of player. He was somewhat of a physical freak that wasn't ready for the responsibilities of OLB coming into the league and needed to learn, so it took him a while before the mental things slowed down enough for him to process what was going on. Roids or HGH did not help him get the mental part down. Everyone learns at a different pace. For Harrison, the mental part came together with the right opportunity and he was able to flourish. I think Seastrunk is capable of the same type of thing. Like I said before, I would imagine that being released was a humbling experience so it just depends if he is willing to use that in a positive way to motivate himself to identify the weaknesses in his game, ask the right questions, and make the proper adjustments. It's really up to Lache and that's why I am going to own him in as many leagues as possible and will hold in a few even if he's just on the practice squad although with McFadden's Miles Austin type hammy that opportunity could present itself sooner than later.

I guess I hit a nerve.

We all take flyers on guys late hoping they'll beat long odds and latch onto a startable player. I get that this is a guy you hope will beat the very very long odds.

But acting as though you have some special insight that apparently many men who do this for a living at the highest level (and don't forget that every team in the league could have taken a flyer of their own on him for very little investment and the vast majority opted that he wasn't worth it) seems odd. I guess maybe that's why you are so defensive.

I hope it works out - everyone loves stories of the guys who beat such long odds. But there's no getting around how long those odds are, no matter how much bluster you surround it with.

STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
If my 10 year old daughter took the amount of roids and HGH that James Jarrison has taken she could make a NFL roster.
Can't make a team for YEARS and then turns into the best LB in the league for 3-4 years then falls apart.Seems legit.
You should probably do a little reading before making a comment like that. He became draft eligible in 2002, went undrafted, signed by the Steelers, on and off the practice squad (as many undrafted players tend to do), signed by the Ravens and back to the Steelers full time by 2004. Had some starts in 2005 and was an All-Pro in 2007. So no, not YEARS. At the "old" age of 36 he still played well last year. So, a decade after making his first career start he's still playing at a high enough level to make the team and be an integral part of their defense.
So exactly like I stated. 5 years = YEARS. :oldunsure:

5 years he was a bum, then he became one of the nastiest, meanest, baddest men on the planet. If it walks like a duck.... And all that is before you even delve into connecting the dots to the former team doctor who was indicted on 185 counts of fraud.

I'm sorry you took it personal. I'm of the opinion most players in the NFL are on PEDs so it's not like he's alone, but if you think he's clean (or that most players aren't on something), I'm afraid you're naive.

STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
Can't make a team for YEARS and then turns into the best LB in the league for 3-4 years then falls apart.Seems legit.
So exactly like I stated. 5 years = YEARS. :oldunsure:

5 years he was a bum, then he became one of the nastiest, meanest, baddest men on the planet. If it walks like a duck.... And all that is before you even delve into connecting the dots to the former team doctor who was indicted on 185 counts of fraud.

I'm sorry you took it personal. I'm of the opinion most players in the NFL are on PEDs so it's not like he's alone, but if you think he's clean (or that most players aren't on something), I'm afraid you're naive.
Reread the highlighted text. Can't MAKE a team for years. He went from undrafted rookie to pro bowl in 5 years. He even played some in his first year. "bums" don't make an NFL team, much less play. He was playing well enough to get a roster spot on a team that was loaded with linebackers. Sitting behind Joey Porter led to lack of playing time and once Joey was released James got his shot and excelled. If you think he's on PEDs that's fine. If you think that's the reason he's an NFL player, you're the one who is naive. He's on an NFL team because he put the work in required to be an NFL player, both in the weight room and the classroom. As loose circuits pointed out above, he was lost in his first year. He didn't know the playbook and was often frustrated. I think it was Farrior who called him a "knucklehead" because he had no idea what to do. He put the work in.

This will be a great opportunity for Lache to show his stuff if he gets to run with the ones this Thursday. Some reports say Gus Johnson has passed him, but the report Rotoworld was basing that on didn't quite say that.

This will be a great opportunity for Lache to show his stuff if he gets to run with the ones this Thursday. Some reports say Gus Johnson has passed him, but the report Rotoworld was basing that on didn't quite say that.
Cowboys beat writer says Gus is expected to start the preseason game with Randle out.http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2015/08/rookie-running-back-gus-johnson-expected-to-start-cowboys-preseason-opener-against-chargers.html/
Interesting. He should still get plenty of run, but that news is disappointing for his prospects.

Rotoworld:

Lache Seastrunk - RB - Cowboys

Cowboys second-year RB Lache Seastrunk posted 16 rushing yards on five carries in Thursday’s preseason loss to the Chargers.

He dropped a screen pass in the fourth quarter and was promptly benched. His longest gain came on a nine-yard rush in the third quarter. Seastrunk saw more playing time after Gus Johnson went down with a shoulder injury. The Cowboys’ lack of backfield depth was very apparent in Thursday night’s loss. Jerry Jones would be wise to look for outside help.

Aug 14 - 1:02 AM

Rotoworld:

Cowboys second-year RB Lache Seastrunk posted 16 rushing yards on five carries in Thursday’s preseason loss to the Chargers.

He dropped a screen pass in the fourth quarter and was promptly benched. His longest gain came on a nine-yard rush in the third quarter. Seastrunk saw more playing time after Gus Johnson went down with a shoulder injury. The Cowboys’ lack of backfield depth was very apparent in Thursday night’s loss. Jerry Jones would be wise to look for outside help.

Aug 14 - 1:02 AM
9 on first carry

Frustrating game, 3-4 times he had good gains on first down only for a penalty to be called and clutts to go in for pass protection. That drop though...he's got to hit the jugs machine til his hands are bloody

Rotoworld:

Cowboys RB Lache Seastrunk has "frustrated" and "infuriated" coaches with his tendency to freelance and "simply doesn't know what to do" in passing situations.

The Cowboys were willing to play Gus Johnson for the entire game in their preseason opener, but eventually had to give Seastrunk carries when Johnson left with a separated shoulder. Seastrunk's chances of making the Cowboys' 53-man roster are slim to none. Aside from being purely a practice dummy, we're not even really sure why Seastrunk is on the 90-man squad at this point.

Source: ESPN Dallas

Aug 15 - 3:24 PM

Some guys just don't get it for all their athleticism. Right now he's the only back healthy which is why he is still on the team and why he'll probably get some work. While there is strong doubt the light goes on sometimes opportunity does wonders.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas-cowboys/post/_/id/4744196/devin-street-opens-up-distance-from-cowboys-young-wrs

What about this guy?: For some reason, the backup running backs have become like backup quarterbacks this offseason. Everybody is enthralled with Gus Johnson and Lache Seastrunk. Well, at least there are people who think they can be contributors. Seastrunk has big-play ability but he has frustrated coaches with his inability to stick with the play that’s called. He freelances way too much and can turn a 2-yard gain into a 5-yard loss. That infuriates coaches. But if you noticed Tyler Clutts playing in the third-down package in the second half over Seastrunk, you’ll see why he won’t make it. He simply doesn’t know what to do and the coaches can’t trust him. There is more to being a running back than just running the ball.

Setting the over-under at 1.5 on number of teams (after Dallas) who will cut Seastrunk before he's out of tries.

Wasn't the ideal result but it gives a clear picture of whether to hold him or not. It's been real, Lache

Users who are viewing this thread