What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pick a Pair/Half Decade Album Draft - Bonus Rounds Thu & Fri - Pick three if you want (2 Viewers)

I was waiting for you to pick this but couldn't decide between Red and 1989.

Ditkaburgers hates TSwift because all the white girls at college listened to her and because she did Harry Styles dirt or something. When DB was away at school, I'd send her pictures of Bosley next to Taylor Swift magazine covers.

It was weird trying to get my 20 something daughter to listen to more Taylor Swift yet I persisted. I took it as a minor victory when DB said folklore wasn't bad.
This is very much a coincidence. For some reason, one day when she was barely a teen, I decided that my niece had fabulous friends and did fabulous things in the modern world, much in contrast to her uncle. I would tell her things like "Tell Taylor and Katie I said hi" or #### like that. It was a running joke for about six or so years until she found it weird and ditched the humoring of said running joke. I think the last straw was my incompetence at sending out Taylor GIFs on my phone. They would send an address without the GIF or something like that. No time for that stuff, apparently. 

All I know was that the joke was as bumbling as her uncle, and the joke subsided the more sober her uncle got. I'll still gently remind her every so often to say hi to Taylor while she's in Westwood, but my niece has sadly turned from the budding and fabulous socialite I envisioned to having more important things on her mind (I'm making that up. She didn't grow out of it. She never really was that way. Too funny.)

Anyway, Taylor is quite the cultural touchstone for music nerds with young family members who were girls, huh? 

We-eee-are never ever ever getting back together.

Last edited by a moderator:
When's Round Ten? 

In the words of both Stimpy, from Ren and Stimpy, and PIK95, from PIK95's Happy Happy Fun Time (I'm just being nonsensical, PIK), I can barely contain myself. 

No, seriously, I'm awaiting Round Ten with bated breath here. 

If they made movies about teenage or young women longing for really smart, handsome young men, "Wildest Dreams" would be sort of a montage-worthy overground song when the orchestra kicks in.  

It could be your unofficial prom theme if there were pop culture moments anymore and they were emotive. And people actually went through the motions of asking people to prom that weren't serious about each other, thereby breaking all the hearts of people who'd longed for each of the other people (who were now officially tethered together for the night) silently.

Say you'll remember me
Standing in a nice dress
Staring at the sunset
Red lips and rosy cheeks
Say you'll see me again
Even if it's just pretend
In your wildest dreams

not this album ...but when I think of the early line up ...I think of this live TV performance

I mean, I know prog gets a lot of grief around here - but how the hell can you not think this kicks ###???
I have seen that clip before and it does indeed kick ###. 

Sometimes one person makes a whole bunch of difference in a band. Yes became exponentially better when Steve Howe joined in time for The Yes Album. 

When's Round Ten? 

In the words of both Stimpy, from Ren and Stimpy, and PIK95, from PIK95's Happy Happy Fun Time (I'm just being nonsensical, PIK), I can barely contain myself. 

No, seriously, I'm awaiting Round Ten with bated breath here. 
As long as you stay away from any Happy Shiny Fun Time....I have big plans for those. 

If they made movies about teenage or young women longing for really smart, handsome young men, "Wildest Dreams" would be sort of a montage-worthy overground song when the orchestra kicks in.  

It could be your unofficial prom theme if there were pop culture moments anymore and they were emotive. And people actually went through the motions of asking people to prom that weren't serious about each other, thereby breaking all the hearts of people who'd longed for each other person silently.

Say you'll remember me
Standing in a nice dress
Staring at the sunset
Red lips and rosy cheeks
Say you'll see me again
Even if it's just pretend
In your wildest dreams
Tell me you haven't watched Bridgerton without telling me you haven't watched Bridgerton.

(seriously though rock, click that link)

One of my favorite bands, Pink Floyd.

Somedays I HATE 1979's The Wall.  Similar to the White Album, it has a lot of filler.  The good news for me is it has three or four of my favorite songs.

Young Lust

Hey You

Comfortably Numb

Run Like Hell

My second pick is a record I enjoy MORE than The Wall...I'm not a Roger guy obviously.

1994 The Division Bell

I like all the songs fwiw, but try these.

Poles Apart

High Hopes
I'm pretty much with you on these. The Wall disc 1 plus Hey You, Comfortably Numb and Run Like Hell = incredible. The rest of The Wall disc 2 = hot garbage. 

The Division Bell could use a little editing but it's of very high quality. 

@Eephus, I'm going to need a ruling on my second PG album, por favor.

8th round -- Andy Summers

Earth and Sky ('04) -- Earth & Sky

Last Dance of Mr. X ('97) -- Rumpelstiltskin

9th round -- Peter Gabriel

Secret World Live (r95) -- Full concert video / album here

Passion: Music for The Last Temptation of Christ ('89) -- Eephus, this is indeed a soundtrack (to Scorses's film); but, he's the composer for all of it -- your call.

I don't even need to know what they're saying to know!

Then I watched the whole thing! I am now up-to-date with pop culture! 

:clap: :clap:

LOL. That cracked me up between heart tugs. Nice stuff. Good to see they are indeed still making love stories for young women. Thanks for the link. Good stuff. 
I watched Bridgerton about 75% for playing spot the modern songs they're shoehorning into this classical story. Ariana Grande's "thank u next" is in an episode as well, I think that's the only other one drafted here so far.

Taylor Swift’s “Wildest Dreams” — In Episode 6, this cover is what’s played during a montage...

**********spoiler alert*********

Of Daphne and Simon's honeymoon sex scenes.

***********end spoiler*********

:jawdrop:

Round 9

Judas Priest

Stained Class(1978)

Defenders of the Faith(1984)
There's a cottage on our lake that is always playing loud music really late - and it really travels on the water. We assumed it was an AirBnB, because you know "kids these days and their loud music, etc..." but over the summer we've picked up on the fact that it's the same playlist being played - and I first noticed because they always follow "Turbo Lover" with "Wake Me Up" by Avicii and it feels like such a sharp transition. 

Also, I don't care if you're going to play the same playlist every Saturday night, but at least put it on shuffle or something? Maybe it's an expertly curated fun for all the family playlist or something - that sounds like something I would do...

Taylor 

Swift ’s “Wildest Dreams” — In Episode 6, this cover is what’s played during a montage...

**********spoiler alert*********

Of Daphne and Simon's honeymoon sex scenes.

***********end spoiler*********

:jawdrop:
I actually was trying to find the actual scene it was played on during the show but I guess that's why I couldn't :lol:

There's a cottage on our lake that is always playing loud music really late - and it really travels on the water. We assumed it was an AirBnB, because you know "kids these days and their loud music, etc..." but over the summer we've picked up on the fact that it's the same playlist being played - and I first noticed because they always follow "Turbo Lover" with "Wake Me Up" by Avicii and it feels like such a sharp transition. 

Also, I don't care if you're going to play the same playlist every Saturday night, but at least put it on shuffle or something? Maybe it's an expertly curated fun for all the family playlist or something - that sounds like something I would do...
Some people just don't care about that kind of stuff. Freshman year of college, my next door neighbor played the same Ramones compilation AT LEAST ONCE EVERY FREAKING DAY. 

Some people just don't care about that kind of stuff. Freshman year of college, my next door neighbor played the same Ramones compilation AT LEAST ONCE EVERY FREAKING DAY. 
We watched Austin Powers every night for like six months straight when I lived in the Fraternity.  Even when some of us were not home, it was still played by others.  #tradition

Funny side story.  My son Luke is sixteen.  He has never watched much television, or anything in his life.  He's all music and video games. My family insisted I named him Luke because I was a degenerate Star Wars kid growing up.  When Luke was like four, I bought all kinds of Hoth Toys and we used to play that battle often.  Funny thing is, Luke to this day, has never saw the movies.  I asked a million times, and he always had an excuse.  I'm not sure he has ever watched a whole movie of anything fwiw. 

Sunday night at midnight, he walks by and says "all my friends are watching these Star Wars movies.  I think I might check them out ON MY PHONE IN BED."  I almost had a heart attack on the spot, as I banned him from watching any of them without me.  He hasn't mentioned them since.  Starting to get nervous....
Awesome!  I have a teenage son named Luke for the same reason. I made him watch all the movies when he was young, but he hasn’t watched any since. 

Let me tell you, those Star Wars Legos years were EXPENSIVE. 

Awesome!  I have a teenage son named Luke for the same reason. I made him watch all the movies when he was young, but he hasn’t watched any since. 

Let me tell you, those Star Wars Legos years were EXPENSIVE. 
I banned Legos after I stepped on one in the darkness back in 2007.  He was two, and didn't care luckily.  

I watched a few minutes of The Girl Next Door with Elisha Cuthbert most nights when I was in my late teens...
I was about thirty-one, banked out, wondering where the world was, and somehow latched onto that movie as redemptive, in a way. I thought it was good teen movie fare. Ebert disagreed with me. I can totally see why. I remember people in the industry using it to sell dreams to unsuspecting customers. It was...weirdly used and construed by people, but the movie itself was weirdly contrived and commodified. Those guys that wrote it happened to live around where my parents grew up in a tony area of CT. 

I think there was a great track from that movie that was awesome, IIRC. Damn, I had hoped spotlighting concerns were done for bands that aren't likely getting picked for Round Ten, but one never knows.  

LOL. I don't know whether you're being deadpan or being serious, but I got a kick out of it, anyway. 

My grasp of rules is not so great where you would know that I know. 

LOL again, this time at myself for never knowing the rules. 
Questions get asked, I answer them if I can. I had no idea if you actually needed it, but better to speak up, ya know. 

I banned Legos after I stepped on one in the darkness back in 2007.  He was two, and didn't care luckily.  
The Clone Wars cartoon series on Cartoon Network (not the newer Disneyfied version) was my favorite Star Wars thing we ever watched together. I watched again last year (super high) and it was still awesome. Especially awesome. 

I was about thirty-one, banked out, wondering where the world was, and somehow latched onto that movie as redemptive, in a way. I thought it was good teen movie fare. Ebert disagreed with me. I can totally see why. I remember people in the industry using it to sell dreams to unsuspecting customers. It was...weirdly used and construed by people, but the movie itself was weirdly contrived and commodified. Those guys that wrote it happened to live around where my parents grew up in a tony area of CT. 

I think Groove Armada's track from that movie was awesome, IIRC. I hope spotlighting concerns are done with bands that aren't likely getting picked for Round Ten. 
Joking aside, I liked the movie too. And I like the song by The Verve used in it.

Charlie Bartlett was another good teen movie from that era IMO.

Questions get asked, I answer them if I can. I had no idea if you actually needed it, but better to speak up, ya know. 
Absolutely. You've been great with that -- and keeping the sheet in Genrepalooza, updating the categories and play times, all sorts of administrative stuff that gets difficult and is time-consuming and is a labor of love. Awesome stuff. 

I just knew and was asking rhetorically, but you have absolutely no way of knowing that. Better to answer earnestly than have someone muck up the works. 

The Clone Wars cartoon series on Cartoon Network (not the newer Disneyfied version) was my favorite Star Wars thing we ever watched together. I watched again last year (super high) and it was still awesome. Especially awesome. 
I started watching the Bad Batch this summer but fell out after like four episodes.  It was decent.  I'm pretty sure I watched the Clone Wars when it came out.

Seriously, NV's link was all them at the galas (damn it, I can't even say balls without laughing), them laughing, the tension, all of that. 

Users who are viewing this thread