What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Music Draft - Rolling Stone Greatest 500 Songs Garbage List - Now with unhealthy regional pork-stuffs! (1 Viewer)

I can definitely do the basic data entry once the sheet is set up.  I don't have any more trips scheduled until March.  :(  

I'm probably in. So if I understand correctly it's 7 rounds of 2 different playlists of 90s music? Like one could be best U2 songs from the 90s and the other could be like country our rap greatest hits?
Yes or even a theme like: songs of 94, what my college dorm sounded like, at the club, etc. 

I can do the startup, spreadsheet set up, calling people out aspect of it, and will do that tomorrow morning if everyone likes but I'm not in here too much during the day so I'd have to pass off the keeping it moving and basic data entry responsibilities to pip, rock, krista, whoever.  Hasn't been an issue in the past, that was the set up for the 458 round monstrosity where I was banned for half of it. It takes a village etc. 
Yeah, I can definitely help out if you do that. 

I can do the startup, spreadsheet set up, calling people out aspect of it, and will do that tomorrow morning if everyone likes but I'm not in here too much during the day so I'd have to pass off the keeping it moving and basic data entry responsibilities to pip, rock, krista, whoever.  Hasn't been an issue in the past, that was the set up for the 458 round monstrosity where I was banned for half of it. It takes a village etc. 
I'll do what I can but I'm in the busiest part of the year for work and will be until mid-November. 

I may be more in the draft bossing mood next week.

The biggest problem with the draft concept is still that drafters will lock into their mixes early and there probably won't be any sniping. 

What if one of the mixes has to be comprised totally of US Top 40 hits?

The biggest problem with the draft concept is still that drafters will lock into their mixes early and there probably won't be any sniping. 

Oof. Then don't do the nineties. That was...a bad decade. 

I feel like one of my planned mixes could definitely involve sniping.

I feel like one of my planned mixes could definitely involve sniping.

It all depends on what others choose as their theme.

I considered having everyone declare their theme in round 1.  Then for their second mix, each drafter would have to pick from the set of themes already nominated by others. So you'd end up with some themes with multiple competitors.  If that makes any sense.

It all depends on what others choose as their theme.

I considered having everyone declare their theme in round 1.  Then for their second mix, each drafter would have to pick from the set of themes already nominated by others. So you'd end up with some themes with multiple competitors.  If that makes any sense.

Obviously, as to the first bit.  I just figure that one of mine would be a popular theme for the 90s.  But I do have a twist to it that might mean it's not.

The other stuff is just overly complicated to me.  :shrug:   

So is the takeaway here there's still no consensus and we're punting this to next week? 

I'm starting to think we just fire off another genrepalooza...

I don't know if sniping is important but given the overlap of a lot of drafters I would imagine there would be some sniping with just your initial idea.

I'm heading to an out of town wedding for a couple of days so I won't be over-engineering the minimix concept any more.

Seems like we're close though :oldunsure:

I've only had one cat since de-clawing was (rightly, IMO) outlawed, but that one cat tore my house to shreds. Do you have issues with your cats destroying anything made of fabric?

Oh yeah, I'm resigned to the fact I'll never have nice furniture again.  Some of them don't scratch but it seems like always one of them is a scratcher.  I did order a new couch and 1.5 chair a couple of months ago that I think will have fabric they can't destroy.  I managed to find a couch once - once - in a microfiber that was indestructible, and I'm hoping this will be the second.

Oh yeah, I'm resigned to the fact I'll never have nice furniture again.  Some of them don't scratch but it seems like always one of them is a scratcher.  I did order a new couch and 1.5 chair a couple of months ago that I think will have fabric they can't destroy.  I managed to find a couch once - once - in a microfiber that was indestructible, and I'm hoping this will be the second.
Keep me updated on this. I guess there's a trade-off, but that last cat I had was a sociopath. He ripped up every window blind and tore my brother's arm open. He would pounce on people from angles I didn't know he could get to. I returned him to the rescue center and they made me feel like #### for doing do. It's scared me off of rescuing another.

Keep me updated on this. I guess there's a trade-off, but that last cat I had was a sociopath. He ripped up every window blind and tore my brother's arm open. He would pounce on people from angles I didn't know he could get to. I returned him to the rescue center and they made me feel like #### for doing do. It's scared me off of rescuing another.

Oh no!  I feel bad about that rescue, as I'm sure they knew he had issues.  The vast majority of cats are able to be trained/rehabilitated on behavior issues, but there are a few that just can't be helped.  We had one at the shelter where I did most of my volunteer work in Chicago that had to be kept in his own separate room and would literally attack every person he dealt with.  He would act nice enough for a little while and then BAM, really hard bites.  He bit me and drew blood through my jeans.  He was a four-paw declaw, though, and those are usually the worst in terms of stuff like that.

All of my cats have been rescues, and you know that's quite a large number over the years.  99% of them are awesome.

Speaking of which, going to Tacoma tonight at 10 pm to meet someone in the parking lot of a Taco Time and pick up a couple of cats isn't the weirdest thing I've ever done, but it's also not not weird.  :)  

Oh no!  I feel bad about that rescue, as I'm sure they knew he had issues.  The vast majority of cats are able to be trained/rehabilitated on behavior issues, but there are a few that just can't be helped.  We had one at the shelter where I did most of my volunteer work in Chicago that had to be kept in his own separate room and would literally attack every person he dealt with.  He would act nice enough for a little while and then BAM, really hard bites.  He bit me and drew blood through my jeans.  He was a four-paw declaw, though, and those are usually the worst in terms of stuff like that.

All of my cats have been rescues, and you know that's quite a large number over the years.  99% of them are awesome.

Speaking of which, going to Tacoma tonight at 10 pm to meet someone in the parking lot of a Taco Time and pick up a couple of cats isn't the weirdest thing I've ever done, but it's also not not weird.  :)  
The cat I had before Kermit The Home Destroyer was awesome. It was when I was dating Mata Hari and it was her ex's cat (she already had two in her apartment and didn't have room for a third). His name was Junior and he was chill - not a mean bone in his body. He didn't have that aloofness that a lot of cats have, but he also wasn't always up in your ####. He was older ( I think maybe 10 or 11) and his kidneys gave out. The day after my father died. We had to put him down. That wasn't a great weekend.

So, we went to the rescue place the next week and pick out Kermit. He looked like the cats in the picture you posted above. He was pretty wild when I got him home, but Mata told me he'd calm down over time. He did not. If anything, he got worse. I kept him for two months and couldn't deal with him anymore. So, I returned him to the rescue.

I've always been more of a dog person, but my lifestyle and situation doesn't work well with a dog. I like the idea of having another cat, especially since I'm retired from long-term dating - having another sentient being around who would immediately become the most intelligent living thing in my house is appealing to me.

I thought about this a few days back, actually. She's probably posted and I've missed it, but it seems she's on a break. 
Hey!  The week before last I had to go out of town for 8 days.  I tried to get on here at the beginning of this week, and got some Invision Board type message that blocked me.  Thursday I got my Moderna booster and flu shot, and about 10 hours later I got aches, chills, and fever throughout the night, and then into yesterday. I'm feeling better today, although I have a lingering headache that may or may not be tied to the vaccine. 

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a cat that will not get out of the way, ever. Most creatures immediately clear out when something larger is approaching. Not this one. He gets underfoot on purpose or won't move if we are walking in his path and carrying stuff. And sometimes he will nip or scratch at our legs when we walk by.

He's lucky he's not an outdoor cat, because if that were the case, he would have been roadkill long ago. 

Eephus said:
It was definitely a transitional decade for the Pop charts. Rock 'n Roll pretty much disappeared in the years before Y2K.
Maybe from the charts but the 90s had a bunch of new rock bands. Rage Against the Machine,Tool,Monster Magnet,Clutch,PJ Harvey as well as Nirvana and the whole grunge scene.

I'm glad someone noticed.  :lol:  
I noticed, and then became fixated on Taco Time. There was one here back in the 80s and 90s, and eventually the owners sold the property/building to Walgreens. There has never been another one in NC. It seems there are none along the Eastern Seaboard. Anyway, I worked near it in the late 90s, and I'd get some tacos (and mexi fries sometimes) from there for lunch about every other week.  I didn't know until now that it is a chain (and cat handoff). 

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe from the charts but the 90s had a bunch of new rock bands. Rage Against the Machine,Tool,Monster Magnet,Clutch,PJ Harvey as well as Nirvana and the whole grunge scene.

Only Nirvana reached the top 40.

But nevermind, the top 40 requirement was a dumb idea.

"This is Their Best Song" Draft. 

Every artist is only eligible to be picked once. You are drafting what you deem their best song. 

This draft is genius because:

- HOT TAKES - it's basically custom made for hot takes - we want to make our statements and go against consensus probably in a lot of cases, that's part of the fun of it. If you want to get the consensus pick, you better go really early which brings us to...

- SNIPING - We all know each other's tastes now, we share a lot of favourites but we probably very infrequently agree on what any given bands #1 song is. Which brings us to...

- SHTICK - Are you going to leave me The Hold Steady or grab your version of their best song early. Are you going to pick from the bottom of Krista's Beatles list or the end of Pip's Neil Young list for ####s and giggles? Who's to say! 

I may have had some beers with football but I think this idea is hilarious. 

"This is Their Best Song" Draft. 

Every artist is only eligible to be picked once. You are drafting what you deem their best song. 

This draft is genius because:

- HOT TAKES - it's basically custom made for hot takes - we want to make our statements and go against consensus probably in a lot of cases, that's part of the fun of it. If you want to get the consensus pick, you better go really early which brings us to...

- SNIPING - We all know each other's tastes now, we share a lot of favourites but we probably very infrequently agree on what any given bands #1 song is. Which brings us to...

- SHTICK - Are you going to leave me The Hold Steady or grab your version of their best song early. Are you going to pick from the bottom of Krista's Beatles list or the end of Pip's Neil Young list for ####s and giggles? Who's to say! 

I may have had some beers with football but I think this idea is hilarious. 

LOVE.

Users who are viewing this thread