What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Music Draft - Rolling Stone Greatest 500 Songs Garbage List - Now with unhealthy regional pork-stuffs! (2 Viewers)

Saturday Night/Sunday Morning Mixtape Draft.  

Side A - Up Tempo Mix for Saturday Night (dancing, workout, fist pumping)
Side B - Down Tempo Mix for Sunday Morning (slower, quieter stuff)

14 rounds, 7 songs per side.  Draft for both mixes at the same time.

Diversity rule:  Each side must include a minimum of three genres.  Genre is determined by the artist not the song, e.g. "Fame" would be considered Rock because it's Bowie even though the song's style is R&B.  Allmusic is the authoritative source for an artist's genre.

It's a mixtape, not a playlist so make 'em flow.

I don't know what got into me last night. This seems too complicated.

rockaction said:
I think that, to a degree, the Rorschach is BS. They really are measuring your answers against everybody else's perception of reality. She explained it to me in some detail. I came away with a newfound respect for the methodology, but they're really not very good at evaluating "normal" people that aren't, say, barking at trees. They've done studies where they make psychiatrists and those trained in the art try and identify crazy people, and unless you're significantly impaired, they have a lot of trouble determining who is functional and who isn't.

To the latter point: I agree. The mind is extraordinarily complex. I don't even bother trying to fathom it. I'm not sure I could ever understand the bigger things, and the more I try, I tend to get awfully lonely (and scared) vis a vis the universe. It's a big, incomprehensible world out there, and we've done pretty good ordering the chaos without knowledge of the reasons or origin of our existence that I'm impressed humanity has gone on without immolating completely or going really berserk. Self-consciousness and self-awareness, which would seem to be a gift, is also an enormous curse.
I'm quoting this post not so much for its content (which is thought-provoking in itself), but because I find the conversation you & 80s are having interesting. Also, the timing of it, as it touches on what I was trying (apparently, badly) to say in Tim's latest countdown thread. 

I'm endlessly fascinated in the ways people's brains connect things. I made a comment that a song by one artist sounded like it could have come from a different artist and I got responses from folks that didn't see it.

(By the way - Tim's the only one that posted something that agreed with my take, so you guys can apply that fact to whatever I have and will say forever.)

I hear the connection and others don't. That doesn't make me special; that's not what I mean - everyone does this. And I'm not just talking about art - I hear it at work every day with really esoteric stuff; things I'd never put together.

Anyway........carry on, good people. Be kind to each other and those folks you may meet today.

If we're looking to create listenable mixes for people - how about a 2 phase draft?

Phase 1 - draft a set of artists ...maybe so many by style/type of music

Phase 2 - create 2/3 "mixtapes" by style/mood, etc. with this limited set of artists

This could also include a mix of one particular artist - the intent of the mix is to try and turn your friends onto a side of your favorite artist(s) that many may not know about (deep cuts, etc.)

This needs flushing out if there is interest ...

I've woodshedded this a bit more and came up with

The Nineties Twin Minimix Draft

It's basically a 1990s song draft with a gimmick of two distinct mixes as the end products for each drafter.  The minimixes can be organized however the drafter sees fit: tempo, genre, artist, theme, whatever in any order.  The two mixes are standalone, no connection between the two is required.

Draft is maximum 14 rounds so the minimixes will be short listens of 7 songs each.  Drafters can finish at any time after round #10.

If you want to change your concept partway through, errant early picks can be mulliganned out after round #6.

It's basically a 1990s song draft with a gimmick of two distinct mixes as the end products for each drafter.  The minimixes can be organized however the drafter sees fit: tempo, genre, artist, theme, whatever in any order.  The two mixes are standalone, no connection between the two is required.

Draft is maximum 14 rounds so the minimixes will be short listens of 7 songs each.  Drafters can finish at any time after round #10.

If you want to change your concept partway through, errant early picks can be mulliganned out after round #6.

I'll say it:  I like this idea.  I have absolutely no idea where I'll go with it (all-Ringo minimix?), but I like it.

in

I'll likely be out of commission for the next few days, so I guess I'll have to pass.  Probably just as well.  The 90's isn't my musical strong suit.

Cliffs notes, por favor.  I've been busy ranking my top 400 David Bowie songs.

Spoiler alert: Ch-Ch-Changes is ranked surprisingly high, thus far.

Edit: 389 to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, due respect to your gastro endeavors, but that looks like something I'd avoid at all costs, and I don't avoid much. It reminds me a bit of the canned ham we talked about earlier in the thread. 
It's way better than that garbage. But I doubt they have it in CA anyway. Dunno if I've ever seen it outside NJ/NY/PA. 

It's way better than that garbage. But I doubt they have it in CA anyway. Dunno if I've ever seen it outside NJ/NY/PA. 
I doubt it, too. But I'm a CA transplant by way of CT, so that means I've spent a lot of time in MA and NY, too. Adventuring, we'll say. Often over the Tappan Zee Bridge to get to parts of New York and the NJTP to get through and to Jersey on my way to Pennsylvania. Lots of Jersey friends in college. 

So it wouldn't be that foreign, but yet I indeed have never heard of it. Regional delight like Wawa's subs, maybe. 

Regional delight like Wawa's subs, maybe. 
Yup. Also, New Hope, PA's own Ween has a song about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TutI8k49xoA

As far as Wawa's subs go, they are a shadow of their former selves. They changed the bread contractor a while ago and it hasn't been the same. The chain itself is a corporate behemoth now and has lost most of what made it distinctive. 

Yup. Also, New Hope, PA's own Ween has a song about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TutI8k49xoA

As far as Wawa's subs go, they are a shadow of their former selves. They changed the bread contractor a while ago and it hasn't been the same. The chain itself is a corporate behemoth now and has lost most of what made it distinctive. 
That's too bad. Amazing how a little change for whatever reason can go so far or be indicative of changing priorities. The bread for the Philly cheesesteak was so important, IIRC. Everything had to be perfect in those sandwiches, and they were. 

The bread for the Philly cheesesteak was so important, IIRC. Everything had to be perfect in those sandwiches, and they were. 
Yep. Still plenty of places in the Philly region that get it right. I have always maintained that the bread is the most important component, and there's a place in Atlantic City called White House that people rave about for reasons I can't fathom, because their bread is mediocre at best. 

Also in for whatever. I know we had close to consensus on the '90s thing but Eephus wanted somebody to run it. I could probably do the @ thing and keep the draft moving along for the first week or so, but I can't set up a spreadsheet. I can enter stuff in a pre-made one like I did during Summerpalooza and part of k4's draft (but then I got scared I'd mess it up), but I'm limited to keeping time and doing that, really. 

Also in for whatever. I know we had close to consensus on the '90s thing but Eephus wanted somebody to run it. I could probably do the @ thing and keep the draft moving along for the first week or so, but I can't set up a spreadsheet. I can enter stuff in a pre-made one like I did during Summerpalooza and part of k4's draft (but then I got scared I'd mess it up), but I'm limited to keeping time and doing that, really. 
I would love to participate but I’m too busy and unavailable to run it. I could start a spreadsheet though, that would be easy for this kind of draft. 

I would love to participate but I’m too busy and unavailable to run it. I could start a spreadsheet though, that would be easy for this kind of draft. 
Cool. I was thinking maybe Eephus or somebody could put out the call and then I could keep time or just oversee it or whatever for the first bit. I could do that. But as far as putting out said call and organizing the logistical stuff, I'm not as good or as sort of present in that way. 

Cool. I was thinking maybe Eephus or somebody could put out the call and then I could keep time or just oversee it or whatever for the first bit. I could do that. But as far as putting out said call and organizing the logistical stuff, I'm not as good or as sort of present in that way. 
We need a draft though that’s for sure

I can do the startup, spreadsheet set up, calling people out aspect of it, and will do that tomorrow morning if everyone likes but I'm not in here too much during the day so I'd have to pass off the keeping it moving and basic data entry responsibilities to pip, rock, krista, whoever.  Hasn't been an issue in the past, that was the set up for the 458 round monstrosity where I was banned for half of it. It takes a village etc. 

Users who are viewing this thread