What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pick a Pair/Half Decade Album Draft - Bonus Rounds Thu & Fri - Pick three if you want (1 Viewer)

I wanted to listen to the Dickies' Stukas Over Disneyland today because I've seen them live a few times but don't think I've ever spun a full album of theirs.  But alas it's not on Spotify so I called an audible and went with Day For Night by The Tragically Hip.  The band never had any hits or much airplay in the US so I'm largely unfamiliar with their work. Although looking through their album covers I realized Mrs. Eephus had a copy of their debut album for some reason.

It's tough to critique Canadian national heroes like The Hip but here we are. Their sound reminds me a bit of Pearl Jam although Downie and Vedder aren't particularly similar singers.  I heard parallels in the way the guitars bubble beneath the melody occasionally jumping to the fore with a solo. I assume they have two guitarists switching leads; I liked the guy in the left speaker better than the right. 

If you've been in a music draft with me before, you've probably heard my complaints about the terrible snare drum sound that mars many albums from the early-mid 90s.  That sound is there keeping time on every track and it was like somebody driving nails into my skull.  It diminished by enjoyment of the record which is a shame because the songwriting seemed pretty sharp.

I didn't make it to the end of the album because it was warm out today and Louis wanted to get home.

I think you're about three years younger than I, so I just missed them by a few years.

I did not, however, miss Sun-In, lemon juice, or any other products to lighten my hair, all of which I used.  :lmao:  
Yeah, I figured that. If you were my age, you probably would have been witness to the early eighties metal splintering and turning into the sub-genres of hair metal or thrash metal, and you probably would have gotten into one of the two, or, if you were me, the best representative of each genre. (Though "best" is debatable.)

Last edited by a moderator:
8.10 - Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It In People (2002) / Broken Social Scene (2005)

I've drafted these two albums approximately a million times in various drafts.  But I don't think I've ever had the opportunity to pick them both together, so here we are.  It's perhaps blasphemy amongst fans, but I prefer the self-titled album better.  But hey, I get both.  Really picking up with the female vocalists and the Canadians today.

I took my wife, who does not share my taste in music, to a Broken Social Scene concert once, maybe 2009-ish.  They were great, killed it, fantastic show.  Show ends, house lights come on, we're walking out, wife runs into a friend of hers.  They talk for a minute, friend is gushing about the show, and says "I didn't know you liked them."  Wife, deadpan, looks at her, says, emotionless "I don't."  I can count on one hand the number of shows we've seen together since then.  Hell I've seen more shows with @Northern Voice at this point.

7/4 remains my favorite song of all-time.

"7/4 (Shoreline)"

"Almost Crimes (Radio Kills Remix)"

"Anthems for a Seventeen Year Old Girl"

"Swimmers" (live at Sound Academy 2008)
every time I hear them, I really like them. I playlist them on Spotify. and then forget about them... until the next time I hear them and like them and playlist them. rinse/repeat. solid band I need to listen to with more attention.

I was trying to avoid any discussion of that given that fathers are very protective of their daughters, but in calling her a teen, I was generalizing about tweens as teens now. 

Darn it Floppo, see the discussions you're making me have here? 

Fathers be good to your daughters...
Twelve seems to be the new fifteen unfortunately.  I blame Al Gore and his web.

every time I hear them, I really like them. I playlist them on Spotify. and then forget about them... until the next time I hear them and like them and playlist them. rinse/repeat. solid band I need to listen to with more attention.
That's everyone in the scene with the Disco Biscuits.  So weird to me fwiw.  

Los Lobos

How Will the Wolf Survive? (1984)

Kiko (1992)

How Will the Wolf Survive? is a solid debut produced by T-Bone Burnett. It introduced Los Lobos' unique blend of roots Rock 'n Roll and Country with some Mexican Norteno seasoning. 

Kiko took things to a different level with more percussion and keyboard effects giving the band a more textured modern sound. 

Am I understanding the updated rules correctly that rounds 11 and 12 will be like normal rounds, but you can take a 3rd album for those rounds?   It's not just bonus rounds where we can take a 3rd album of something we've taken already? 

Yes. The third album is optional.

Don't believe everything Yo Mama tells you
I still think we should be able to take a third album from someone we already drafted instead of from the dregs remaining in the 11th and 12th rounds. Fight the power!!

@KarmaPoliceTool, Lateralus and 10,000 Days........soooooo good.  First rounder, easily imo

@Northern Voice that's the Modest Mouse combo I would've picked as well......both outstanding albums.....I'm not a huge Indi/college rock fan, or whatever you wanna call it, but for some reason Modest Mouse has always spoken to me.

@moops.......I love me some PJ Harvey!  
Think I'm the only one to take PJ Harvey

Round 9

Taylor Swift - 1989 (2014)

Style

Wildest Dreams

Out of The Woods

Taylor Swift - folklore (2020)

betty

exile

the last great american dynasty

I was waiting for you to pick this but couldn't decide between Red and 1989.

Ditkaburgers hates TSwift because all the white girls at college listened to her and because she did Harry Styles dirt or something. When DB was away at school, I'd send her pictures of Bosley next to Taylor Swift magazine covers.

It was weird trying to get my 20 something daughter to listen to more Taylor Swift yet I persisted. I took it as a minor victory when DB said folklore wasn't bad.

So good. Stumbled upon this band at Coachella in 2004. Had never heard of them. I was there to see Radiohead and Kraftwerk and Flaming Lips and Wilco and several others. Was wandering the grounds and these folks were rocking it. Stayed with them for their entire show. So good
The nice thing about being near Toronto is, I keep stumbling into BSS moments.

I saw Kevin Drew open for Modest Mouse in Toronto and suddenly Leslie Feist and Emily Haines were there on stage with him.

At the first year of Wayhome, Passion Pit dropped out and there was a mystery replacement headliner - Broken Social Scene. 

Then when I saw BSS in Toronto most recently, Amy Millan (Stars) joined in with them. 

I saw Zeus with Jason Collette in my hometown and Emily Haines showed up (her brother owns the local record shop here)

I think there's one more, maybe someone joined Stars at a subsequent Wayhome -  @Steve Tasker?

I was waiting for you to pick this but couldn't decide between Red and 1989.

Ditkaburgers hates TSwift because all the white girls at college listened to her and because she did Harry Styles dirt or something. When DB was away at school, I'd send her pictures of Bosley next to Taylor Swift magazine covers.

It was weird trying to get my 20 something daughter to listen to more Taylor Swift yet I persisted. I took it as a minor victory when DB said folklore wasn't bad.
I'm with her.

Didnt you just get a job at a brewery? Not like it or something better come up?
Yeah I did and I love it and I literally just picked up my company car today and my benefits kick in in two weeks... but one of the companies I interviewed with before and didn't hire me reached out about a job a couple notches higher up the food chain, so I'm going to hear them out.

Yeah I did and I love it and I literally just picked up my company car today and my benefits kick in in two weeks... but one of the companies I interviewed with before and didn't hire me reached out about a job a couple notches higher up the food chain, so I'm going to hear them out.
pretty sure if i had a job at a brewery finding something else would be in my best interests.

As we start the new week off, it's time. Deal with it. 

7.24: Rush 

2112 (1976)

Moving Pictures (1981)

Will add songs later... though not sure why I would for GNR.

GNR - Appetite for Destruction - 1985-1989

GNR - Use Your Illusion II 1990-1995

===

Steals of the draft.  Easily first or second round material.  Bothe better picks than INXS, Violet Femmes, or Joy Division.

I think there's one more, maybe someone joined Stars at a subsequent Wayhome -  @Steve Tasker?
I don't really remember.  All I remember about that Stars show is that Amy Millan was about 8 months, 30 days, and 23 hours pregnant, and everyone was devastated because Gord Downie had just announced his illness and the Hip were on their final tour.  Torquil Campbell had some Gord-themed t-shirt.

I don't really remember.  All I remember about that Stars show is that Amy Millan was about 8 months, 30 days, and 23 hours pregnant, and everyone was devastated because Gord Downie had just announced his illness and the Hip were on their final tour.  Torquil Campbell had some Gord-themed t-shirt.
Yeah, I think it was a white T-Shirt that he wrote in marker on or something "Doing it for Gord" maybe?  I love Stars. I assume no one was drafting them here, plus it's round 9, so I will happily spotlight them and say everyone go listen to some Stars.

Yeah, I think it was a white T-Shirt that he wrote in marker on or something "Doing it for Gord" maybe?  I love Stars. I assume no one was drafting them here, plus it's round 9, so I will happily spotlight them and say everyone go listen to some Stars.
Something like that, it was a white t-shirt with something written in a black marker.  I like Stars, just not enough to draft them.  They're underrated.

Funny side story.  My son Luke is sixteen.  He has never watched much television, or anything in his life.  He's all music and video games. My family insisted I named him Luke because I was a degenerate Star Wars kid growing up.  When Luke was like four, I bought all kinds of Hoth Toys and we used to play that battle often.  Funny thing is, Luke to this day, has never saw the movies.  I asked a million times, and he always had an excuse.  I'm not sure he has ever watched a whole movie of anything fwiw. 

Sunday night at midnight, he walks by and says "all my friends are watching these Star Wars movies.  I think I might check them out ON MY PHONE IN BED."  I almost had a heart attack on the spot, as I banned him from watching any of them without me.  He hasn't mentioned them since.  Starting to get nervous....

I was so put off by the production of the Tragically Hip album I listened to earlier so I gave a different album of theirs a spin on my evening walk.  I went with their self-titled debut from 1987 because it hopefully wouldn't have 90s drum sound and it was only 27 minutes long.

I liked this one a lot more. It was straightforward 80s Rock 'n Roll without the Pearl Jam trappings of Day for Night. The guitars were a lot brighter and the solos were more concise. Downie's voice reminded me of Peter Garrett of Midnight Oil in a way. I can tell Canadian and Australian accents apart but the way they both elongate vowels for emphasis seemed similar.  I still don't love the drummer though. He plays a very hard backbeat like Max Weinberg does without any fills to speak of.  At least it was lower in the mix.

Mrs. Eephus bought this on vinyl when it came out it 1987. I remember the album cover being in our stucsk but none of the songs were familiar, even the Genrepalooza-eligible "Baby I'm a Werewolf".  If I close my eyes, I can totally imagine young Mrs. E dancing to "All Canadian Surf Club" on those crappy little Radio Shack speakers we hooked up in the back room.

Users who are viewing this thread