What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pick a Pair/Half Decade Album Draft - Bonus Rounds Thu & Fri - Pick three if you want (1 Viewer)

If you want @El Floppo, you can most definitely have it. I definitely have someone else that would make a worthy '76/'80 (same years) substitute. Don't hesitate to say "yes," either. It'll mean more music gets picked from my end, which is an offer I can't really refuse. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Huh.....

I guess I tend to gravitate toward female vocalists such as PJ Harvey, Ann Wilson, Shirley Manson, Fiona Apple.....i liked that gal from the Cranberries too
yeah- she was anything but "indie" or terribly distinctive as those artists are and were from their inception. especially when she charted her young skyrocketing pop career as a kid- a reason I didn't bother listening to her. but give that album just mentioned a listen- it's good stuff.

10.2: Midnight Oil

10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 (1983)

Diesel and Dust (1987)

Always liked this Australian import. Known more for their political activism (mainly hulking lead singer Peter Garrett), they had a rich, complex concoction of alt, punk and hard rock.
They have no bad albums and I would consider many combos for them. They're not going to make the cut for my 12 picks but if we went longer, they would have. 

Round 10:

PARLIAMENT

Up for the Down Stroke (1974)

Mothership Connection (1975)

The other guise of the Funkadelic crew -- it was the same people involved, but with a different name on a different label. Up for the Down Stroke is here because it's their best album outside the 1975-79 window. Mothership Connection is here because it's one of the best albums of the '70s regardless of genre. 

Up for the Down Stroke

Testify (a remake of the hit from George Clinton's '60s band, The Parliaments)

Mothership Connection (Star Child)

Give Up the Funk (Tear the Roof Off the Sucker)

(I Just Got Back from Up for the Down Stroke is the whistling song I was referring to yesterday.)

I know about his background - and I'm not going to go completely into the whole "racism" aspect again, but truth be told I didn't call him a racist - I just made an observation about a pattern I noticed where he constantly called black QBs "thugs" and that they weren't "capable for the job", while blatantly making up stuff about Kaepernick, Cam Newton and Jalen Hurst among many other "similar" QBs. When he was called out, by others, on those stories, he would claim he has "sources" that told him these things were true, even though none of these transgressions were ever reported anywhere else but by DJax. I doubt he has any sources in the NFL - he works at Shop Rite (and I don't say that in a disparaging way).
I back you up on DJax. I've seen him say or imply racist things about black QBs multiple times in the SP. Being on the spectrum doesn't give you a free pass for that behavior. One of my best friend's brother has Asperger's, and he knows right from wrong.  I've had bad exchanges with DJax in the past regarding Cam. I just ignore him now. Someone who is GG is sexist as hell. I ignore him too. Hiding behind some community name to be a d-bag is cowardly and lame. I don't have either on ignore, I just skip their content. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Octopus said:
I know about his background - and I'm not going to go completely into the whole "racism" aspect again, but truth be told I didn't call him a racist - I just made an observation about a pattern I noticed where he constantly called black QBs "thugs" and that they weren't "capable for the job", while blatantly making up stuff about Kaepernick, Cam Newton and Jalen Hurst among many other "similar" QBs. When he was called out, by others, on those stories, he would claim he has "sources" that told him these things were true, even though none of these transgressions were ever reported anywhere else but by DJax. I doubt he has any sources in the NFL - he works at Shop Rite (and I don't say that in a disparaging way).
Expand  
I back you up on DJax. I've seen him say or imply racist things about black QBs multiple times in the SP. Being on the spectrum doesn't give you a free pass for that behavior. One of my best friend's brother has Asperger's, and he knows right from wrong.  I've had bad exchanges with DJax in the past regarding Cam. I just ignore him now. Someone who is GG is sexist as hell. I ignore him too. Hiding behind some community name to be a d-bag is cowardly and lame. I don't have either on ignore, I just skip their content. 
I don't go into the Shark Pool, so was blissfully unaware of this behavior. yuck.

the GG thing went from being an amusing send up of capitalism is good of the original movie character, to what I assume is a caricature of a misognyst anti-left cartoon. in the right hands, this could be funny and/or interesting material... but those aren't the right hands.

Taylor Swift -- I am actually quite familiar with her stuff by middle-aged-guy standards because my wife is a big country fan and has been majorly into her since her first album. I have heard all the albums and appreciate some of her stuff, so I contributed to her playlist in GP4. 

DJax -- I don't think he's overtly racist, but he has zero self-awareness so he doesn't understand when he's engaging in other forms of racism. As an Eagles fan, I've traditionally taken a "he's an idiot, but he's our idiot" stance with him, but my patience is starting to wear thin. 

Thanks. In fact, a moderator came into the Eagles thread to break up our exchange and said multiple people sent him messages over the years saying something similar about all of DJax' comments - he blamed people "out to get him" for those reports. 

Man, I was trying to avoid the political drama in here....

Also, I'm blown away with the Taylor Swift selections by what I assume are middle aged dudes??  Not that there's anything wrong with that.  My daughter and her friends are into her.  I just don't know any adult male who actively listens to her.
I love Red and 1989 fwiw.  I'm 46 fwiw.

I absolutely hate country music after the 70's.  I didn't realize she did country songs also?  Someone mentioned that?

10 - La Luz

It's Alive (2013)

Sure As Spring

Call Me In the Day

Weirdo Shrine (2015)

You Disappear

With Davey
"Call Me In The Day" was my ringtone for my phone back when this came out. That and "Dead Sound" by an act I won't name. Interesting choices. Nice surf rock/reverb/girl-group stylings. 

eta* I'd downloaded a program on Android that let you record songs you'd purchased and chopped them into bits like GarageBand. It took some diligence, but you could really customize your own ringtones with it. 

Round 10:

PARLIAMENT

Up for the Down Stroke (1974)

Mothership Connection (1975)

The other guise of the Funkadelic crew -- it was the same people involved, but with a different name on a different label. Up for the Down Stroke is here because it's their best album outside the 1975-79 window. Mothership Connection is here because it's one of the best albums of the '70s regardless of genre. 

Up for the Down Stroke

Testify (a remake of the hit from George Clinton's '60s band, The Parliaments)

Mothership Connection (Star Child)

Give Up the Funk (Tear the Roof Off the Sucker)

(I Just Got Back from Up for the Down Stroke is the whistling song I was referring to yesterday.)
Wow beat me to it, that was my exact pick for today. Nice work!

Even though I could probably think of a few more combinations, this is going to be my last. I went into this draft with the idea that I'd keep the list down to 'personally relevant' selections, though I did stray from that once or twice.

10.14- The Seldom Scene: Act III (1973) and After Midnight (1981)

I've talked about this band here before, but I don't mind repeating myself in this case.

My dad got into bluegrass in the early 70's, which led us to discovering a group of locals with day jobs and one former member of the one of the genre's biggest groups, who had banded together and dubbed themselves The Seldom Scene. I think part of their appeal was that in addition to their incredible individual musicianship, they also had a tremendous knack for choosing the right blend of old standards, a little gospel and a few songs you'd never imagine hearing done bluegrass-style, including House of the Rising Sun, City of New Orleans, In the Midnight Hour, Lay Down Sally and After Midnight.

One of the greatest blessings I've had in my life is that I got to see them with my dad multiple times at different stages in my life, from child to pre-teen to teenager (including one time I got drunk at the Birchmere when they opened for Ralph Monroe) to young adult to husband and father.  And now, you get to have a little taste of the five-piece goodness that I've enjoyed for almost 50 years.

From the Act III album comes my absolute favorite song of theirs, Rider, as well as Muddy Waters.

The After Midnight album gives us a hit of 'Acidgrass' (a term coined by their lead singer), featuring their versions on Eric Clapton's Lay Down Sally and After Midnight.

To close, I'd like thank @Eephus for doing this draft and inviting me. I've tended to stick with what I grew up with and was into before my priorities changed 25 years ago, but now that getting music for free is legal and easy, I'll be adding to what I listen to in the car, courtesy of this draft.

:hophead:

I love Red and 1989 fwiw.  I'm 46 fwiw.

I absolutely hate country music after the 70's.  I didn't realize she did country songs also?  Someone mentioned that?
I don't hate country, but it can't be the poppy ####.....I'm more into bands like The Dead South.....more bluegrass/outlaw country type stuff.

I may listen to swift......I'm not expecting it to move the needle though

I just qued up 1989 and realized that's the one my daughter played incessantly a few years back......yea I can't do it.....too poppy/dance musicy.....ain't my cup o tea

You just have to wait until a famous middle aged white male, dad-rock approved musician produces or covers her. 
I watched Gaga on that show where they drive around and sing with that dude......and I was impressed.  She is super talented.......will I listen to Gaga's music on purpose?  Nah.

fwiw I'm a child of the 80's and I don't like Madonna's music.....I mean I can sing along with all her songs cuz they played 24-7.

I watched Gaga on that show where they drive around and sing with that dude......and I was impressed.  She is super talented.......will I listen to Gaga's music on purpose?  Nah.
I wasn't actually going to draft her music, because I don't like the albums top-to-bottom enough, but there are plenty of great individual songs.  She really is supremely talented.

ROUND 10:   LORDE

PURE HEROINE (2013)

MELODRAMA (2017)
One of my favorites -- probably the favorite of mine -- from 2013 and one that I picked as second or third from 2017 in NV's poll. I really like these albums. I think they're well-constructed, well-written, coolly produced, just good. 

"Royals," "Buzzcut Season," and "White Teeth Teens" are my favorites from the first. 

"Homemade Dynamite," "The Louvre," and "Sober II (Reprise)" are my favorites from the second. 

Tears for Fears is lonely on my playlist in the non-rock, non-hip hop realm so they need some company with my 10th pick. I’m going with two albums from them I haven’t drafted before. Yo Mama selects:

The The Cure

Japanese Whispers - 1983

Not on Spotify for some reason but there are playlists with all the songs in order. It’s a compilation of three singles released after their previous studio album (the two below plus Let’s Go to Bed) along with their B sides. The Cure have a couple albums like this. I used to have this album and it got lots of play on the Yo Mama turntable. 

The Walk

The Lovecats

Disintegration - 1989

Had to triple check this wasn’t taken.  Still have this record.

Pictures of You

Fascination Street

Tears for Fears is lonely on my playlist in the non-rock, non-hip hop realm so they need some company with my 10th pick. I’m going with two albums from them I haven’t drafted before. Yo Mama selects:

The The Cure

Japanese Whispers - 1983

Not on Spotify for some reason but there are playlists with all the songs in order. It’s a compilation of three singles released after their previous studio album (the two below plus Let’s Go to Bed) along with their B sides. The Cure have a couple albums like this. I used to have this album and it got lots of play on the Yo Mama turntable. 

The Walk

The Lovecats

Disintegration - 1989

Had to triple check this wasn’t taken.  Still have this record.

Pictures of You

Fascination Street
Yeah- I was surprised when they were taken much earlier that Disintegration wasn't one of the albums.

Users who are viewing this thread