What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Polls about the 2020 Election - July 30 edition (1 Viewer)

How confident are you, today, in the results of the 2020 presidential election

• 1 - Total Fraud, no confidence at all in the results that will be reported

Votes: 1 1.1%

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • 3 - The results will probably be accurate

Votes: 21 22.1%

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • 5 - Complete confidence in the results that will be reported

Votes: 31 32.6%
  • Q - I need to see who wins before I decide if I am confident in the results

Votes: 5 5.3%

• Total voters

The Gator

Footballguy
Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

With Universal Mail-In Voting (not Absentee Voting, which is good), 2020 will be the most INACCURATE & FRAUDULENT Election in history. It will be a great embarrassment to the USA. Delay the Election until people can properly, securely and safely vote???

On some level, we all knew this was coming.  And, there is undoubtedly more confusion coming in the next few months - be it virus-related, natural disaster related, foreign interference related, or any number of potential black swan events.

But, as you sit here today - how confident are you in the American voting system?  Will we hold an election on November 3?  Will you have confidence in the reported results?

Certainly, these views should be come clearer as we approach Election day, but where do you stand today

Gave it two 4s.

Im pretty sure Im confident in both...2nd question was really about the wording about "that will be reported".  Yeah...official results I am confident in...who reports what is where I have less confidence.  From the standpoint of outlets either way reporting something is close or called that can influence people who have not voted yet.  We have such a thirst to want information now (and have for a while in regards to this)...that we don't have some time where nobody can report any result until all polling is closed is a bit ridiculous IMO.

In a way its less influential on POTUS elections as by the time things are reported...I don't think it will change states that are quite blue or red on the West coast...but could have people staying home which would have more of an effect on local races.  I can see how some reported results could lower turnout when our goal should always be to increase turnout.

In another thread I read the complaint that sending out mail-in ballots unsolicited to everyone on the voter roles could lead to fraudulent ballots being cast.  I agree with that point.  However, I started looking up various state procedures and didn't find any state that was doing that.  I didn't do an exhaustive search though.  Is any state talking about doing that?

In another thread I read the complaint that sending out mail-in ballots unsolicited to everyone on the voter roles could lead to fraudulent ballots being cast.  I agree with that point.  However, I started looking up various state procedures and didn't find any state that was doing that.  I didn't do an exhaustive search though.  Is any state talking about doing that?
I would posit - the bigger risk is not fraudulent ballots cast, but rather, legitimate ballots discarded.

I think most states require signature matches to accept mail-in ballots.  That is an incredibly subjective standard for accepting/rejecting submitted ballots.  I can't even be sure what my signature looked like when I registered to vote.  Most of the time, my signature is fairly consistent, but barely legible.  On occasion in the past, I have been more careful with my signature in terms of making it more legible.  If I did that when I registered - my ballot would not be counted.

And, if you wanted to "rig" an election with a large number of mail-in ballots - it would be fairly easy to "reject" a higher percentage of votes coming from specific districts.

If you are a Dem trying to rig the results, you reject a large percentage of votes from GOP-strong districts, and vice versa if you are a GOP trying to rig the election.

Another solution - would be to encourage early physical voting, and/or making Election day a federal holiday, ensuring voters have plenty of time to cast their ballots.

I am confident the election will occur as scheduled.

I am confident that the votes actually cast will be recorded properly.

I am not terribly confident that, in many locations, people that want to vote will be permitted to do so.
I was just going to post exactly this.

Voted 5 that the election will happen, 2 on the results. There have been numerous instances of foreign adversaries probing electronic security of our election systems, while politicians simultaneously vote against increasing election security and continue to use machines that are known to be insecure. There is no reason for anyone who wants the US to fail to hold on to whatever assets they have in secret, there will be no better time to use it than now. Many state governments also have a vested interest in certain outcomes that might got against the current political wave they may be facing. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is it that its the Democrats who so worry that Republicans will not accept the results of an election...when it's been mostly the Democrats who have contested election results in our recent history?

Do they have so much mistrust in the system because of their own past...the DNC in 2016 for example, when their primary was so grossly corrupted?

Why is it that its the Democrats who so worry that Republicans will not accept the results of an election...when it's been mostly the Democrats who have contested election results in our recent history?

Do they have so much mistrust in the system because of their own past...the DNC in 2016 for example, when their primary was so grossly corrupted?
Maybe, just maybe, it's because the GOP nominee had expressly stated that he may not accept the results of the election?

Because the head Republican is saying that he might not. 

Maybe, just maybe, it's because the GOP nominee had expressly stated that he may not accept the results of the election?
HIllary (and some here) still haven't "accepted" the results of the 2016 election.
Some have called President Trump a "fraud" and a "fake" POTUS, having never really been elected.
Sounds as if they haven't "accepted" the results of the 2016 election.

He may not accept them as being accurate....he never said a word about not leaving the office.

Show me where he said it....and not some liberal rag or hack.

I would posit - the bigger risk is not fraudulent ballots cast, but rather, legitimate ballots discarded.

I think most states require signature matches to accept mail-in ballots.  That is an incredibly subjective standard for accepting/rejecting submitted ballots.  I can't even be sure what my signature looked like when I registered to vote.  Most of the time, my signature is fairly consistent, but barely legible.  On occasion in the past, I have been more careful with my signature in terms of making it more legible.  If I did that when I registered - my ballot would not be counted.
I'll point out a couple things here.  #1.  If done correctly, they won't use your signature from when you registered.  They'll send you a request in the mail which you have to sign and mail back officially requesting a ballot.  They will use the signature on THAT formal request to match to your ballot that you send in.  #2.  If done correctly, scanners and signature software will validate the signatures, not human beings.

I realize #2 could be problematic.  I doubt that most states who don't do this on the regular have the equipment on hand and I don't know if they have time to get it so they may have to rely on human beings...all bets are off at that point.

The reality is, and always has been that the concept isn't the problem.  The implementation and execution is the problem.  The more competent the district, the better the chances of success.  I'll throw this out there as well.  For all the grief Florida gets with their voting (Broward, Palm Beach, etc) you don't hear of problems with the mail in ballots.  That should tell us something.  It won't stop the fear mongering from the GOP on mail in voting, but what will?

Regarding question #1, did you catch the Senate hearing when SOS Pompeo, 4th in line, Harvard Law Review, refused to answer whether a president could delay the election? And suggested it would be up to Bill Barr? 

And, if you wanted to "rig" an election with a large number of mail-in ballots - it would be fairly easy to "reject" a higher percentage of votes coming from specific districts.

If you are a Dem trying to rig the results, you reject a large percentage of votes from GOP-strong districts, and vice versa if you are a GOP trying to rig the election.

Another solution - would be to encourage early physical voting, and/or making Election day a federal holiday, ensuring voters have plenty of time to cast their ballots.
maybe a two day voting event?  not sure though about anything.  I am worried about the mail in votes(not absentee voting, because you personally have to pick up the packet).

sorry I'm not a bigger help on this but maybe covid not a big factor in November?  

maybe a two day voting event?  not sure though about anything.  I am worried about the mail in votes(not absentee voting, because you personally have to pick up the packet).

sorry I'm not a bigger help on this but maybe covid not a big factor in November?  
Something else we need to remember....not all states do things the same way.  For example, in Florida, we don't really have "absentee ballots".  We have "vote by mail" or "vote in person".  Vote by mail is done via request on the website, nothing to go pick up anywhere.  So the bold above doesn't exist in our state....there is ZERO difference here.

Trump actually acknowledged absentee and mail in voting are the same. And safe........in Florida, anyway.
"Whether you call it Vote by Mail or Absentee Voting, in Florida the election system is Safe and Secure, Tried and True. Florida’s Voting system has been cleaned up (we defeated Democrats attempts at change), so in Florida I encourage all to request a Ballot & Vote by Mail!"

• Thinking
Reactions: rct
Trump actually acknowledged absentee and mail in voting are the same. And safe........in Florida, anyway.
"Whether you call it Vote by Mail or Absentee Voting, in Florida the election system is Safe and Secure, Tried and True. Florida’s Voting system has been cleaned up (we defeated Democrats attempts at change), so in Florida I encourage all to request a Ballot & Vote by Mail!"
I'm not sure what he was talking about with respect to "defeating the democrats".....the only thing I am aware of that's been up for altering recently was allowing ex-felons to vote.  If that's what he's talking about he's saying the quiet parts out loud again :lol:  

You are vastly overthinking it. In states where vote by mail or absentee voting helps democrats, he is against it, when it benefits him he is for it. Someone told him that all of the old Republicans in Florida vote by mail, so he is for that there. 

Yes, Gloria Borger last night was saying he got calls from FL to back off. I don't know what he was talking about,either, about the Democrats, but this makes FL extra-interesting as a swing state that he can now no longer (theoretically) question results in.
So, in a few days, I guess  we can expect a tweet to the effect "Voting is safe in Florida, Texas, Georgia, Arkansas....."

• Thinking
Reactions: rct
Carrie Dann @CarrieNBCNews

New from NBC/WSJ poll: Just 45% of Americans are confident the vote will be counted accurately in the presidential election, down from 59 percent 4 years ago.

Just 23% of Republicans say they're confident in the accurate counting of MAIL ballots.

Users who are viewing this thread