What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Zac Stacy is the highest drafted 5th round or later NFL pick in dynast (2 Viewers)

TD 6th round, Olandis Gary 4th, Mike Anderson 6th.

At this time any Shanny back was a good pick. It was always one getting hurt so you draft the new guy.
Denver wasn't seen as a very good landing spot for RBs when Terrell Davis was drafted. It wasn't really seen as a great place for RBs when Gary was drafted, either- the general idea was that Davis was responsible for the huge rushing numbers. It wasn't really until Anderson and Portis that Denver got the reputation as RB Nirvana.
That's not true at all. Shanny RBs were FF favorites when he was with Oakland; before Denver

Terrell Davis comes pretty close to being in a similar position, late drafted rookie with really weak competition(Glyn Milburn). I kind of doubt there were many dynasty leagues that started in 94 or earlier though. I started playing dynasty in 98 and it was a rather new concept then.
There were plenty of established dynasty leagues in '94.

Terrell Davis comes pretty close to being in a similar position, late drafted rookie with really weak competition(Glyn Milburn). I kind of doubt there were many dynasty leagues that started in 94 or earlier though. I started playing dynasty in 98 and it was a rather new concept then.
I was in a league that started in 1989 IIRC I was able to get TD with a 2nd round rookie pick I think..

But people were still drafting out of newspapers and magazines back then. No one knew that much about Skeletors ways or about TD before he blew up. That was the start of the Skeletor 6th round pick to starter phenomena. The Nfl was in its peak of feature RBs drafted in the 1st round. Skeletor and TD changed that dynamic I think. It has been a long time but the league seems to be coming around to not needing to use such high picks on RB to get quality players as they did back in the 80's-90's

Thinking about it more.. it was a 2nd round rookie pick on TD. I remember my cousin being like "who?" a lot people poo poo'd the pick. But for the most part we were all clueless at that time and I was lucky.

RB drafted in 1995 (this was a very bad year for WR, QB and TE)

1 1 CIN Ki-Jana Carter RB 22 2004 0 0 0 12 9 59 0 1 0 0 0 319 1144 20 66 469 1 Penn St.1 17 NYG Tyrone Wheatley RB 23 2004 0 0 4 39 8 124 1 1 24 1 0 1270 4962 40 125 900 7 Michigan1 18 OAK Napoleon Kaufman RB 22 2000 0 0 3 39 39 91 0 1 0 0 0 978 4792 12 127 1107 5 Washington1 19 JAX James Stewart RB 23 2002 0 0 6 45 23 101 0 1 0 0 0 1478 5841 48 220 1715 9 Tennessee1 21 CHI Rashaan Salaam RB 20 1999 0 0 1 13 13 33 471 1684 13 16 120 1 Colorado2 44 NOR Ray Zellars RB 22 1998 0 0 1 10 10 48 382 1351 11 57 391 0 Notre Dame2 46 DAL Sherman Williams RB 22 1999 0 0 0 10 10 60 0 1 0 0 0 302 1162 4 40 332 0 Alabama2 51 SDG Terrell Fletcher RB 22 2002 0 0 0 22 22 111 1 1 23 1 0 526 1871 10 259 1943 3 Wisconsin3 74 NWE Curtis Martin HOF RB 22 2005 1 5 11 100 26 168 2 2 36 2 0 3518 14101 90 484 3329 10 Pittsburgh3 86 OAK Joe Aska RB 23 1997 0 0 0 3 3 23 74 336 1 8 63 0 Central Oklahoma3 89 HOU Rodney Thomas RB 22 2001 0 0 1 17 17 103 532 1973 12 91 631 3 Texas A&M4 103 WAS Larry Jones RB 0 0 0 Miami (FL)4 104 SDG Aaron Hayden RB 22 1998 0 0 0 5 4 33 215 784 4 8 74 0 Tennessee5 157 MIN James Stewart RB 23 1995 0 0 0 1 1 4 31 144 0 1 3 0 Miami (FL)5 169 JAX Ryan Christopherson RB 23 1996 0 0 0 0 0 19 16 16 1 1 -1 0 Wyoming5 170 GNB Travis Jervey RB 23 2003 0 1 1 4 4 109 129 503 2 10 35 0 The Citadel6 195 NWE Dino Philyaw RB 24 1999 0 0 0 0 23 16 54 1 2 23 0 Oregon6 196 DEN Terrell Davis RB 22 2001 3 3 5 72 72 78 1655 7607 60 169 1280 5 Georgiahttp://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1995/draft.htm

It is hard to remember and the guys I was drafting against did not know much about football (I didn't know much then either). But I think Carter was the 1st overall pick. My 1st pick was Wheatley as I had been somewhat obsessed with Giants running backs since Otis Anderson helped them win a super bowl against the Bills. Still my favorite SB all time. Rashaan Salaam, Napolean Kaufman, Curtis Martin and James Stewart and were also 1st round picks that year I think, along with Gaffney, JJ Stokes and some QB busts. The best TE were Kyle Brady and Mark Bruener. Great blockers but not known for their receiving skills.

This whole draft lacked talent at anything but the RB position. The 2 best RB from this draft were not 1st round picks despite 5 1st round picks used on them by Nfl teams.

Last edited by a moderator:
No one knew that much about Skeletors ways or about TD before he blew up.
Yeah because he was hired from a cave in the mountains.

https://www.google.com/search?q=shanahan+al+davis+feud&rlz=1C1KMZB_enUS529US529&oq=shanahan+al+davis+feud&aqs=chrome.0.57j0j62.3909j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

No one knew that much about Skeletors ways or about TD before he blew up.
Yeah because he was hired from a cave in the mountains.

https://www.google.com/search?q=shanahan+al+davis+feud&rlz=1C1KMZB_enUS529US529&oq=shanahan+al+davis+feud&aqs=chrome.0.57j0j62.3909j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
I never said Mike was an unknown. Rat face drafting RB from the 6th round who became FF stars was unknown at that time however.

I also discovered that my long term memory is riddled with errors. :lol:

No.
:lmao:
Keeper leagues were common in the 90's but not full dynasty leagues.

Remember Dwyer (6th), James Davis (6th) and Rashad Jennings (7th) going in the 1st in previous years.
Yeah, Dwyer went 13th (2.01) in 1 of my leagues. Can remember tons of late round RB's going in the 2nd round of rookie drafts over the years. Starks, Peerman, Dixon, Jaquizz, Torrain, that's just off the top of my head.

No.
I can remember the 90s and who I drafted in dynasty

No.
I can remember the 90s and who I drafted in dynasty
Man, our dynasty league should be in the HOF. 22nd year and have all the drafts, all-time records, etc.

I can even tell you that I have had 112 different RBs, and 91 different WRs over the years. I suck at scouting RBs.

1st QB was Mark Rypien, 1st RB was Marcus Allen, 1st WR was Jerry Rice, 1st TE was Rodney Holman.

I've made 36 trades over 22 years.

Zac Stacy could be # 114 in the 1st round (pick # 11).

Wow. I assumed Stacy was a 2nd rounder from NFL draft. He went in the 1st in my 3 drafts.What a horrible class. Glad I traded out entirely two of those drafts.
Gonna at least let the class play before considering it horrible?
why should I? It's what I believe and most people, fantasy "experts" agree.
Considering what you are giving them the name "expert" for is predicting the future, I think you will find that they are not very good at what they do. There will be good players from this draft class. Who they are, I don't know. But I'm not an expert.

No.
My dynasty league started in 1988. About time people started catching up.

its all about this weak draft class....I look at the second round of all my rookie drafts and I am getting players in the 4th that I think have as much chance as most 2nd and 3rd rounders.....now....once they all get on the field and start playing this could end up being the best class ever.......but Stacy is going late 1st early 2nd because of him situation....Rogres is going in the 1st and early 2nd because he is an uber talent....the reason he went un-drafted had zero to do with talent and everything to do with off the field problems....if he gets his head on straight he might end up the best WR in the class....but if he has more problems Buf. can cut bait on him and it will cost them nothing....he is on a short leash

No.
I'm not saying I don't believe you but if true you were among a handful of people doing it back then. How many teams, roster sizes, etc?

No.
Yes. I started playing ff over 25 years ago and only heard of redraft 11 years ago. The term "dynasty" wasn't used, though. We just called them "leagues".

For those listing guys like Morris from their rookie drafts in August, the question was meant for drafts during the offseason before training camps/preseason were already in full swing. I didn't see Morris go very high in any rookie drafts in April-June.

The Torian and Dwyer calls are good as i remember them both going very highly even in early rookie drafts. Then both ended up sucking and kind of back the point how over-rated Stacy is now, but they indeed were going as high or higher then Stacy.

This is why I like to make my trades before I have a chance to use them sometimes. This guy was picked in the 5th round in what was considered a weak draft class and he's flying up boards. A turd with an opportunity is still a turd.

No.
I'm not saying I don't believe you but if true you were among a handful of people doing it back then. How many teams, roster sizes, etc?
Initially, it was 10 teams, and it was expanded in 1993 to 12 teams. That's when I joined. In the expansion draft I made what I still consider to be my best move ever. I had an opportunity to take John Elway, and decided to go for the young gun Brett Favre, who had just been traded to the Packers. We don't penalize INTs, so that worked out amazingly.

We used to do everything by snail-mail, I used PFW to gain an edge, and you had to have your lineup called in to the commish via phone before the first game that week or else you would forfeit. Live scoring was a godsend after so many years of using the sport section of the newspaper to see if I'd won or lost the following morning. The biggest difference was that there was no waiver wire until the internet, so we held what we called the Supplemental Draft after Week 7 of the season. It would be the same draft order as the Rookie/FA draft at the beginning of the season. That was your only chance to add/drop players all year, so depth was way more important.

It's a 12 team PPR, 19 players (used to be 18), No TE, Start 3WR, Team Defense. The weirdest part about it is that we give 1 point for every 14 receiving yards, which seems arbitrary to me. The only major overhaul the scoring system has incurred over the 25 year run, was to give a serious boost to defensive scoring in order to make DST actually carry major value.

No.
Yes. I started playing ff over 25 years ago and only heard of redraft 11 years ago. The term "dynasty" wasn't used, though. We just called them "leagues".
Ya, we actually called it a Keeper league, back when we were unaware of what became modern keeper leagues, where teams keep a portion of their players, and not all of them.

This is why I like to make my trades before I have a chance to use them sometimes. This guy was picked in the 5th round in what was considered a weak draft class and he's flying up boards. A turd with an opportunity is still a turd.
Zac Stacy is not a turd. Good thing you removed your opportunity to find out.

No.
Not really.

I remember years back when the infamous "history of fantasy football" article came out. Everyone barked at dates and oh just about anything in the article.

The bottom-line is that rotissere baseball has been huge for a long long time. Hundreds of thousands of people played rotissere baseball but for football. They adjusted some rules of course, but the underlying theme was always some variation of rotissere baseball.

At the end of every season, the winner seemed to want to keep his team and probably 2nd or 3rd place teams too. Some guy standing up in front of a bunch of men saying "my team could beat yours every year" just won't fly against the male ego.

While separate and without the web, many people had the same experience-as long as you keep it simple and somewhat vague.

With the above analysis, I would love to hear what sabertooth's scouting report was on Arian Foster.

I laugh at people who assume 5th round pick in the draft = turd.

No.
Not really.

I remember years back when the infamous "history of fantasy football" article came out. Everyone barked at dates and oh just about anything in the article.

The bottom-line is that rotissere baseball has been huge for a long long time. Hundreds of thousands of people played rotissere baseball but for football. They adjusted some rules of course, but the underlying theme was always some variation of rotissere baseball.

At the end of every season, the winner seemed to want to keep his team and probably 2nd or 3rd place teams too. Some guy standing up in front of a bunch of men saying "my team could beat yours every year" just won't fly against the male ego.

While separate and without the web, many people had the same experience-as long as you keep it simple and somewhat vague.

From my perspective, while we did start a dynasty league in 1989 there were only half of the owners who returned for the 2nd season. It was chaotic. We changed scoring rules a few times. Owners quit when we added Idp and quit again when we did the rookie draft as an auction instead of a draft ($$ was assigned by draft picks owned). There was also a league re-set along the way. So in essence there was only 2-4 owners that actually stayed in the league for the whole duration. Getting lineups was iffy many weeks as many owners just forgot about the league after draft day for the most part and the many replacement owners treated the league much like they would a redraft. Some large imbalances developed that also made the league less fun for the owners a bit less involved or joining the league after 3 seasons underway. Then the league collapsed because only a few guys were really playing dynasty and the rest thought they were playing redraft.

In his defense, Tebow Tim was a 1st rounder and he was a turd and is a turd. However, this guy can run the football and has a chance to be the starter. Still banking on my guy Richardson t to take the starting gig but I may handcuff with this guy.

No.
Ya, we actually called it a Keeper league, back when we were unaware of what became modern keeper leagues, where teams keep a portion of their players, and not all of them.
You may have done this but it couldn't have been widespread. I don't remember a single magazine back then talking about anything other than redraft.

In his defense, Tebow Tim was a 1st rounder and he was a turd and is a turd. However, this guy can run the football and has a chance to be the starter. Still banking on my guy Richardson t to take the starting gig but I may handcuff with this guy.
Richardson's a good NFL player, but I don't know if he's built to be a 3 down guy.

Richardson's a good NFL player, but I don't know if he's built to be a 3 down guy.
I don't know either. But if he puts on 10 lbs, he is Lesean McCoy size.

Best comparison for Stacy is Artose Pinner. Anyone here remember that guy? 2003 drafted in the 4th round by the Detroit Lions. Dude was a beast in the SEC for Kentucky, just like Stacy was in the SEC for Vanderbilt. Great measurables, and no competition in Detroit. Went in the first round of my rookie draft. Ended up getting outproduced by Shawn Bryson. No typo there. Shawn F-ing Bryson.

I know it looks like the ideal situation for Stacy and his highlight video makes him look good. But there is a reason that NFL teams pass on these guys. They have scouts who are paid good money to look for things you and I wouldn't even think of. Yes there are exceptions to the rule, but what does it tell you when 80% of those exceptions where the product of one coach(shanahan)? Then they fade away(except for Terrell Davis). Tells me to stay away. Also tells me Chris Thompson has a better shot of fantasy production than Stacy.

No.
You may have done this but it couldn't have been widespread. I don't remember a single magazine back then talking about anything other than redraft.
Scoresheet Sports started their first keeper league in 1991, NFL-101. I was part of that league until the early 00's. At the time it began, it was a relatively new idea, though I knew of some local in-person "continuing leagues" that did the same. However, while it wasn't widespread at the time, over the next 5 years they became a lot more common. You're definitely right in that finding information for it was difficult.

Best comparison for Stacy is Artose Pinner. Anyone here remember that guy? 2003 drafted in the 4th round by the Detroit Lions. Dude was a beast in the SEC for Kentucky, just like Stacy was in the SEC for Vanderbilt. Great measurables, and no competition in Detroit. Went in the first round of my rookie draft. Ended up getting outproduced by Shawn Bryson. No typo there. Shawn F-ing Bryson.

I know it looks like the ideal situation for Stacy and his highlight video makes him look good. But there is a reason that NFL teams pass on these guys. They have scouts who are paid good money to look for things you and I wouldn't even think of. Yes there are exceptions to the rule, but what does it tell you when 80% of those exceptions where the product of one coach(shanahan)? Then they fade away(except for Terrell Davis). Tells me to stay away. Also tells me Chris Thompson has a better shot of fantasy production than Stacy.
I went back to look at 30 yrs of drafts not including this yr. 92 rbs were drafted in round 5...4% were fantasy starter worthy for at least a yr and that includes H Walker which is a gift to the 5th rd, 6% were fantasy backup worthy (I was pretty liberal here) and 90% were never fantasy roster worthy

For those of you betting on Stacy I can only say...good luck. Where a player is drafted in the NFL draft DOES matter no matter how much you want to ignore it to justify your position
So you're saying there's a chance?

I am just wondering who these super stars are that people are passing up at the turn for Stacy?

According to Faustus poll of doom-

Standard Scoring1.01 RB Eddie Lacy, Packers (42%)1.02 RB Giovani Bernard, Bengals (36%)1.03 RB Le'Veon Bell, Steelers (36%)1.04 WR Tavon Austin, Rams (35%)1.05 RB Montee Ball, Broncos (47%)1.06 WR Cordarrelle Patterson, Vikings (45%)1.07 WR DeAndre Hopkins, Texans (54%)1.08 TE Tyler Eifert, Bengals (24%)

1.09 RB Marcus Lattimore, 49ers (31%)

1.10 RB Jonathan Franklin, Packers (21%)

1.11 WR Justin Hunter, Titans (24%)

1.12 WR Keenan Allen, Chargers (24%)

2.01 RB Christine Michael, Seahawks (34%)PPR Scoring1.01 WR Tavon Austin, Rams (45%)1.02 RB Giovani Bernard, Bengals (48%)1.03 WR Cordarrelle Patterson, Vikings (38%)1.04 RB Le'Veon Bell, Steelers (39%)1.05 WR DeAndre Hopkins, Texans (37%)1.06 RB Eddie Lacy, Packers (45%)1.07 RB Montee Ball, Broncos (56%)1.08 TE Tyler Eifert, Bengals (34%)1.09 WR Justin Hunter, Titans (28%)

1.10 WR Keenan Allen, Chargers (30%)

1.11 RB Marcus Lattimore, 49ers (34%)

1.12 WR Robert Woods, Bills (25%)

2.01 RB Christine Michael, Seahawks (23%)

Soup stars you could still take over the not so turdish Stacy-

QB E.J. Manuel, Bills (0 votes [0.00%])
QB Geno Smith, Jets (0 votes [0.00%])
RB Knile Davis, Chiefs (0 votes [0.00%])
RB Joseph Randle, Cowboys (0 votes [0.00%])
WR Robert Woods, Bills (1 votes [25.00%])
WR Aaron Dobson, Patriots (0 votes [0.00%])
WR Markus Wheaton, Steelers (0 votes [0.00%])
WR Stedman Bailey, Rams (0 votes [0.00%])
WR Quinton Patton, 49ers (0 votes [0.00%])
WR Terrance Williams, Cowboys (0 votes [0.00%])
TE Zach Ertz, Eagles (0 votes [0.00%])
TE Travis Kelce, Chiefs (0 votes [0.00%]

I like some of these guys a lot. Especially the TEs. But I am not seeing myself having buyers remorse passing any of these guys for Stacy.

I am just wondering who these super stars are that people are passing up at the turn for Stacy?
I'm not sure if that was directed at me or not, but here is my answer. I don't like this draft so I'm not defending any alternative picks. I am just shocked at the level of Stacy love and some of the comments that suggest that he is a probable fantasy worthy player
You are not alone in that sentiment. And yes if you think all of the players after the top 6-8 or so picks are not worth rostering because this is a weak draft then you are better off trading away your picks for next year or players instead. That is what I would do if I did not like my pick options at the turn.

A 2nd round pick even in a deep draft is not a player who is a sure thing. There are very few players like that even in the 1st round. There are much safer picks than Stacy. Such as the QBs, TEs. They are much more likely to pan out and be productive, but those positions are difficult to break through to the upper tier that actually makes a big difference in VBD point advantage. Most of these players will be serviceable but not really help you win.

The RB and WR left in that range are more risk reward but if they hit that can really put you ahead. Moreso than the QB or TE are likely to do, although again those are more solid long term picks with less risk.

RB are able to contribute right away whereas WR tend to take more time to develop. As the league has shifted further to a passing league this is becoming somewhat less the case, as RB need to be good pass blockers to get playing time on offenses that are throwing the ball so much. But still, in general a RB can help you right away whereas a WR will likely take longer to make an impact.

Stacy does not have an injury history like Knile Davis nor does he have to beat out a player as good as Charles to get playing time. Randle is not as talented and has more competition than Stacy as well.

This logic suggests that Stacy is the best risk/reward selection at the turn of this draft. If you want a safer pick then draft a QB/TE or one of the WR and wait. If Stacy busts you can dump him and not lock up the roster spot as long as you should be committing the spot to a QB/TE/WR prospect.

Can I ask how you used Artose Pinner's combine results to draw a comparison with Zac Stacy?

I'm not sure if that was directed at me or not, but here is my answer. I don't like this draft so I'm not defending any alternative picks. I am just shocked at the level of Stacy love and some of the comments that suggest that he is a probable fantasy worthy player
You are not alone in that sentiment. And yes if you think all of the players after the top 6-8 or so picks are not worth rostering because this is a weak draft then you are better off trading away your picks for next year or players instead. That is what I would do if I did not like my pick options at the turn.

A 2nd round pick even in a deep draft is not a player who is a sure thing. There are very few players like that even in the 1st round. There are much safer picks than Stacy. Such as the QBs, TEs. They are much more likely to pan out and be productive, but those positions are difficult to break through to the upper tier that actually makes a big difference in VBD point advantage. Most of these players will be serviceable but not really help you win.

The RB and WR left in that range are more risk reward but if they hit that can really put you ahead. Moreso than the QB or TE are likely to do, although again those are more solid long term picks with less risk.

RB are able to contribute right away whereas WR tend to take more time to develop. As the league has shifted further to a passing league this is becoming somewhat less the case, as RB need to be good pass blockers to get playing time on offenses that are throwing the ball so much. But still, in general a RB can help you right away whereas a WR will likely take longer to make an impact.

Stacy does not have an injury history like Knile Davis nor does he have to beat out a player as good as Charles to get playing time. Randle is not as talented and has more competition than Stacy as well.

This logic suggests that Stacy is the best risk/reward selection at the turn of this draft. If you want a safer pick then draft a QB/TE or one of the WR and wait. If Stacy busts you can dump him and not lock up the roster spot as long as you should be committing the spot to a QB/TE/WR prospect.
:goodposting:

I'm quite happy that the hype has inflated his value. Personally I think Pead is the RB to own in St. Louis.

That said, I drafted Stacy at 3.2 in a 12 team rookie draft, and quickly traded him away for Mark Ingram

Can I ask how you used Artose Pinner's combine results to draw a comparison with Zac Stacy?
I had a hard enough time remembering Pinner's name. Pretty sure I'm not pulling his three cone time out of my a**. Did Stacy have some kind of incredible combine performance or something?

Best comparison for Stacy is Artose Pinner. Anyone here remember that guy? 2003 drafted in the 4th round by the Detroit Lions. Dude was a beast in the SEC for Kentucky, just like Stacy was in the SEC for Vanderbilt. Great measurables, and no competition in Detroit. Went in the first round of my rookie draft. Ended up getting outproduced by Shawn Bryson. No typo there. Shawn F-ing Bryson. I know it looks like the ideal situation for Stacy and his highlight video makes him look good. But there is a reason that NFL teams pass on these guys. They have scouts who are paid good money to look for things you and I wouldn't even think of. Yes there are exceptions to the rule, but what does it tell you when 80% of those exceptions where the product of one coach(shanahan)? Then they fade away(except for Terrell Davis). Tells me to stay away. Also tells me Chris Thompson has a better shot of fantasy production than Stacy.
I had a hard enough time remembering Pinner's name. Pretty sure I'm not pulling his three cone time out of my a**. Did Stacy have some kind of incredible combine performance or something?
Other than 40 time, Stacy had an excellent combine. But I'm not sure that's what he's implying.Didn't you just say above that they both had/have excellent measurables?

Best comparison for Stacy is Artose Pinner. Anyone here remember that guy? 2003 drafted in the 4th round by the Detroit Lions. Dude was a beast in the SEC for Kentucky, just like Stacy was in the SEC for Vanderbilt. Great measurables, and no competition in Detroit. Went in the first round of my rookie draft. Ended up getting outproduced by Shawn Bryson. No typo there. Shawn F-ing Bryson. I know it looks like the ideal situation for Stacy and his highlight video makes him look good. But there is a reason that NFL teams pass on these guys. They have scouts who are paid good money to look for things you and I wouldn't even think of. Yes there are exceptions to the rule, but what does it tell you when 80% of those exceptions where the product of one coach(shanahan)? Then they fade away(except for Terrell Davis). Tells me to stay away. Also tells me Chris Thompson has a better shot of fantasy production than Stacy.
Other than 40 time, Stacy had an excellent combine. But I'm not sure that's what he's implying.Didn't you just say above that they both had/have excellent measurables?
Fair enough. I should have specified. Both have solid build that appears ideal for a full load at RB. 40 time was exactly the same. Outside of that I have no idea what Pinner's actual numbers were, but I do remember people talked about him much like Stacy.

How did I remove that opportunity? If he isn't a turd I can trade for him at a later date. If he is (probably) I don't have to clog up a roster spot on him. I doubt he's even in the league in 4 years.

I have seen every game he played in college.

He's a sturdy, strong, balanced running back with a will and a good motor. Great vision. Awareness of where the blocks will be leads to good cutting decisions past the line of scrimmage. Good reads. Strengthens throughout the game. Plenty strong enough to run inside in the NFL and dispositionally well suited to do so. Emerges from tangles. "Fast enough" to use on all your runs. Powerful, but not explosive. Not a blazer. Isn't going to run away for 40+ yard gains. Good nose for the line to gain. Likes football and likes to stay in the game. No major injuries that I remember. Bounces off and shrugs off defenders. Can get skinny when moving at high speed. Didn't lose yards with negative plays. Isn't a dancer. Doesn't get in positions to get lit up. Thick and strong through the torso. Tough. Can get low. Prodictive. Healthy. Moves the sticks.

He's not a first round back. He won't take it the distance very often. He hasn't done anything to make me think he'll catch 30+ balls a season in the NFL. He ran a 4.55. The things he does well, though, are useful things at every level of football. Before the draft, I would have guessed a northern team with natural grass would have taken him. St. Louis is a team that needs to increase the number of first downs it gets. He could be a part of getting that number closer to the middle of the pack this year.

He'll make that team, and my guess is he'll stick as a #1/#2 back for as many years as he's healthy. We'll see. He's not a can't miss type guy, but he's a very good prospect. Unlike a lot of this year's backs, Zac is strong, a grown man, and somebody who will be able to withstand some punishment.

I like him better than a lot of these rbs this year. I'd also roll the dice on the Michael kid and Ford, Davis and Bell with a long-term flyer on Lattimore

The reason I asked is that I don't have Pinner in my database at all. I have LaBrandon Toefield, but I don't have Artose Pinner. Maybe he didn't attend the combine? Not sure how you can compare their measurables.

The reason I asked is that I don't have Pinner in my database at all. I have LaBrandon Toefield, but I don't have Artose Pinner. Maybe he didn't attend the combine? Not sure how you can compare their measurables.
yup, high ankle sprain and fractured fibula: http://onlineathens.com/stories/042203/spo_20030422064.shtml

Fun quote:

"Some scouts think this could be the worst draft for running backs since 1984, the last time fewer than two were selected in the first round. But if not for an unbelievable rash of injuries, this would have been a representative if not strong position in the draft.

''It's an awful group,'' Tennessee Titans director of player personnel Rich Snead said. ''There's injuries, injury histories and not good players.''"

Useful 2003 RBs:

Willis McGahee

Larry Johnson

Domanick Williams

Chris Brown

So yeah, bad year for RBs.

I still need to merge my college stats/combine/draft order/pro stats databases before I can do any real comps, but based entirely on combine results, my 'most similar combine results' backs since 1999 are (in order with most similar on top):

Ray Rice
Kendall Hunter
Damien Berry
Doug Martin
Giovani Bernard
Jerome Harrison
Javon Ringer
Kenjon Barner
Shane Vereen
Bernard Scott
D.J. Harper
Vick Ballard
Delone Carter
Michael Ford
J.J. Arrington

Interestingly enough, 4 of these are also 2013 RBs (Bernard, Barner, Harper, Ford). Other than these, there's quite a list of solid RB1s and solid backups in here. Based entirely on athleticism, I think he's solid NFL material.

Users who are viewing this thread