What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR vacancies into the NFL Draft (1 Viewer)

sushinsky4tsar

Footballguy
Thinking out loud. Feel free to connect rookies to the teams that make the most sense.

Fully expecting one of the top WRs in the draft to be selected:
HOU -- needs WR1, top 150 picks: 2, 12, 33, 65, 73, 104
TEN -- WR1/2, picks: 11, 41, 72, 147
ATL -- WR2, picks: 8, 44, 75, 110, 113

somewhat murky, but significant WR help seems likely:
NE -- have bodies, but the need for WR1/2 seems clear if trying to compete, picks: 14, 46, 76, 107, 117, 135
NYG -- so many bodies that I actually question whether they'll make room for a rookie, but the need for WR1 is glaring, picks: 25, 57, 89, 128
BUF -- a potential WR1 for 2025 might be a larger need than a WR2 to compete with Davis in '23, probably draft a guy who can check both boxes, picks: 27, 59, 91, 130, 137
MIN -- WR2 to replace Thielen, a favorite to compete with Osborn at minimum, picks 23, 87, 119

Addition seems somewhat likely, extent of the investment is unclear:
LAR -- WR2 to push A-Rob aside, unless tanking for Caleb
IND -- WR2/3 to compete with Pierce, maybe a bigger splash to compete w/ Pittman for WR1
GB -- WR2/3 to compete with Doubs, maybe a bigger splash to compete w/ Watson for WR1

A domino would probably have to fall -- WR1/2 upside in play if it does:
ARI -- **pending Hopkins trade, likely**
DEN -- **pending Sutton/Jeudy trade**
BAL -- **pending Bateman trade, less likely**
TB -- Trying to win with Mayfield/Trask? Seems like there might be potential for Evans/Godwin to be traded to a contender.

Depth, development, or 2024:
SEA -- WR3, future Lockett replacement
LAC -- WR3, future K Allen replacement
NO -- possible depth/competition for M. Thomas, Shaheed. Bigger splash in '24 might be more likely.
CIN -- future Boyd replacement, insurance for Higgins negotiations
DET -- maybe a #3 ahead of Marvin Jones, or a weapon
PIT -- might add depending on how they feel about Johnson past 2024, Pickens as the future #1, or Austin as #3
CAR -- should be looking for the guy after Thielen if they've decided it's not Marshall
SF -- depth, life after Samuel or Aiyuk
PHI -- maybe a #3/weapon, depending on how they feel about Quez

Doubtful, probably belong with the bottom six, but stranger things have happened:
KC -- room seems set and it would be a big surprise, but if they move it will be for a #1
JAX -- same as KC
DAL -- only if they're out on Gallup, consider Cooks a band-aid, and want to get ahead of a future WR2, doubtful

Among the least likely to be addressed in 2023:
MIA -- probably wait until '24 to look at life after Tyreek unless they don't trust Robbie/Wilson/Berrios to spot start. Maybe add a weapon, I had them two groups up until I saw the Robbie A signing.
NYJ - don't see anything unless they're trading CD
LV - payday to Meyers, Renfrow #3, would probably take something unexpected with Adams
WAS - doubt it unless they're down on Samuel and Dyami as #3s
CLE -probably have to give Moore his shot to run away with the #2, DPJ a fine #3, give Bell another year as the #4
CHI - doubt they admit defeat on Claypool this soon, will see what they have with their new mix

UFAs: Landry, Zaccheaus, Golladay, Cobb, Ju-Jones, Pringle, Demarcus Robinson, Harry

90% agree with this. Giants are probably either 1st round, or not at all. They have like 6 #3 WRs, with Shepard, Wan'Dale (who probably has the most upside), Campbell, Hodgins, Slayton, and Crowder. If I had to guess, I'd bet they are done at WR.

I think KC is much more likely to take a WR in the 1st 2 rounds than not. They lost both JuJu and Hardman, and replaced them with Richie James, I guess. They also don't have anyone who has proven they can be an 80-catch guy. Maybe Toney if he can stay healthy or Moore can if he takes a massive step in year 2, but that is a lot for a Super Bowl team to count on. Its possible they are the Hopkins team I guess.

I don't see Atlanta as all that likely to take a WR. They've taken WR-TE with their last 2 1st rounders and are among the run heaviest teams in the league. I think they might be more likely to bring in a vet flier like Landry or Golladay and have a WR2 by committee with Mack Hollins and Scotty Miller.

90% agree with this. Giants are probably either 1st round, or not at all. They have like 6 #3 WRs, with Shepard, Wan'Dale (who probably has the most upside), Campbell, Hodgins, Slayton, and Crowder. If I had to guess, I'd bet they are done at WR.

I think KC is much more likely to take a WR in the 1st 2 rounds than not. They lost both JuJu and Hardman, and replaced them with Richie James, I guess. They also don't have anyone who has proven they can be an 80-catch guy. Maybe Toney if he can stay healthy or Moore can if he takes a massive step in year 2, but that is a lot for a Super Bowl team to count on. Its possible they are the Hopkins team I guess.

I don't see Atlanta as all that likely to take a WR. They've taken WR-TE with their last 2 1st rounders and are among the run heaviest teams in the league. I think they might be more likely to bring in a vet flier like Landry or Golladay and have a WR2 by committee with Mack Hollins and Scotty Miller.

You're right, ATL isn't a sure thing to invest this year. They might have already gone the vet route and decided to let Hollins and Hodge battle it out. Scotty Miller as a deep threat. I don't think it's the ultimate answer, but it might fall into the good enough until '24 bucket, especially given the offense and Pitts at TE. Maybe bring back O-Zacch or add Landry to that mix as you suggest and call it a day.

KC, yeah, probably more than a long shot. Like NE/NYG/JAX, don't need more guys but could use the guy. Yeah, they already have it in Kelce. I was more bullish on something happening here, but the James and Watson signings have given me some pause on that. Haven't dug into those contracts to see what the guarantees look like, but with MVS-Toney-Moore all locked in, it's starting to feel like they might be content to let Mahomes turn water into wine and go WR by committee again. I suppose it depends a lot on how they feel about Skyy Moore going forward. I think they know what they have with MVS and Toney.

I would bump Detroit up a tier or 2. Amon Ra looks like a star but he's limited to slow mostly. The Lions invested a lot in Jamo and he had some flashes but he also has 1 career reception. The recent outlooks for WRs who were that unproductive as rookies isn't great. That leaves dusty Marvin Jones who is more likely just a veteran presence at this point, Josh Reynolds who is probably best in the WR 4 role and Raymond who is a fun gadget player. The Lions really need a true physical X WR. I would not be surprised if they went for Q in round 1 or on day 2 targeted someone like AT Perry or Cedric Tillman.

The Lions invested a lot in Jamo and he had some flashes but he also has 1 career reception. The recent outlooks for WRs who were that unproductive as rookies isn't great.
While I agree that they could use that big X receiver, that Jamo stat is a bit out of context. How many previous rookie WRs were only activated and used that late in the year? He was unproductive because he was just barely used.

The Lions invested a lot in Jamo and he had some flashes but he also has 1 career reception. The recent outlooks for WRs who were that unproductive as rookies isn't great.
While I agree that they could use that big X receiver, that Jamo stat is a bit out of context. How many previous rookie WRs were only activated and used that late in the year? He was unproductive because he was just barely used.
I know he had the injury but when was out there, he looked fast. No signs of any health concern. So again, why did the Lions not want to put him on the field?

I commend the effort @sushinsky4tsar as this is a really hard exercise you have undertaken. It's not like RB where only one usually plays per down or even TE where you rarely see 3 playing at the same time.

I truly think the reality is almost every team in the league could use some help at WR. Some teams need more of a WR1, some a WR2, some a slot, and they almost all need quality depth.

I know he had the injury but when was out there, he looked fast. No signs of any health concern. So again, why did the Lions not want to put him on the field?
Long term health and the 2022 Lions goals were much more 2023 based. Jamo was a mid January ACL, so he couldn't have been healthy enough to play until mid October and even then most players returning from that injury aren't going to be the same until the year after.

CHI - doubt they admit defeat on Claypool this soon, will see what they have with their new mix
The Bears top 3 is solid with Moore, Mooney and Claypool. They have a gaping hole at #4 . WRs 5 and 6 are E. St Brown and Velus Jones; a Depth WR and Special Teams guy who might be out of the league next year if he doesn't improve.

Its tricky because Both Mooney and Claypool are on the last year of their rookie contracts. If they both have decent seasons, its unlikely the Bears can afford to keep both guys getting WR2 type offers.

I think the Bears will target a guy based on where they find value in the draft and use one of their 2nd-4th rd picks to draft a WR to fill that #4 void and hopefully step up into the #3 role in 2024. The play has to be to enter the draft with a WR in mind, and fallback is one of the UFAs listed.

Long term health and the 2022 Lions goals were much more 2023 based. Jamo was a mid January ACL, so he couldn't have been healthy enough to play until mid October and even then most players returning from that injury aren't going to be the same until the year after.
Sure but by the end the Lions were in the playoff hunt. They played very important late season games. If Jamo wasn't healthy enough to play, he wouldn't have played period. I am a fan and want to rationalize it away but when Jamo got healthy, the staff didn't trust him to play more than 15-25% of the snaps in any week. He did get targeted a good rate per route run though it's a really small sample.

Sure but by the end the Lions were in the playoff hunt. They played very important late season games. If Jamo wasn't healthy enough to play, he wouldn't have played period. I am a fan and want to rationalize it away but when Jamo got healthy, the staff didn't trust him to play more than 15-25% of the snaps in any week. He did get targeted a good rate per route run though it's a really small sample.
Ramping up to a full workload aside cutting, and confidence in one's ability to cut, is the last piece of the puzzle. I applaud their approach to injury management. It was a breath of fresh air in a sport known for players returning before they should.

You're right, ATL isn't a sure thing to invest this year. They might have already gone the vet route and decided to let Hollins and Hodge battle it out. Scotty Miller as a deep threat. I don't think it's the ultimate answer, but it might fall into the good enough until '24 bucket, especially given the offense and Pitts at TE. Maybe bring back O-Zacch or add Landry to that mix as you suggest and call it a day.
Landry would make a lot of sense to Atlanta, especially as he's also a notoriously good run blocker, and they don't really have a slot guy, unless they use Pitts there, and use Jonnu as the more traditional TE, but that's a pretty big ask for Jonnu. Maybe Patterson plays some more slot/WR otherwise?

I would bump Detroit up a tier or 2. Amon Ra looks like a star but he's limited to slow mostly. The Lions invested a lot in Jamo and he had some flashes but he also has 1 career reception. The recent outlooks for WRs who were that unproductive as rookies isn't great. That leaves dusty Marvin Jones who is more likely just a veteran presence at this point, Josh Reynolds who is probably best in the WR 4 role and Raymond who is a fun gadget player. The Lions really need a true physical X WR. I would not be surprised if they went for Q in round 1 or on day 2 targeted someone like AT Perry or Cedric Tillman.
I keep coming back to the Lions being more likely to add a TE than a WR. I know they just traded Hockenson, but that felt more about money than usage.

Could certainly see a guy like AT Perry or Michael Wilson in round 3/4.

Lions interviewed Quinten Johnston, Jayden Reed and Antoine Green (UNC - day 3 or UDFA target) at the Combine. So far they didn't bring in any WRs for a Top 30 visit. Which means nothing....last year they brought in Burks, Olave and Wilson then drafted Jamo. But it is interesting to see what they positions are focusing on in their player interviews.

Top 30 Visit
QB - 3
RB - 1 (Mitchell)
WR - 0
TE - 1 (Washington)
OL - 6
DL - 6
LB - 1 (Simpson)
DB - 3

Combine/Pro Day Interviews
QB - 2
RB - 1 (Hull)
WR - 4
TE - 2 (LaPorta, Kraft)
OL - 3
DL - 5
LB - 3
DB - 4

I agree with @travdogg that Perry or Wilson at 81 would be a good complimentary fit to their current WR corps, but so far they haven't shown any interest in them. Which means little, probably not all interviews get reported, but rn it doesn't seem like a big priority.

The recent outlooks for WRs who were that unproductive as rookies isn't great.

Mostly true but Mike Williams comes to mind. Missed most of TC with a mild herniated disc in his back, started the year on the PUP. 11 receptions in 10 G for the 7th overall pick is about as underwhelming as it gets, but he started getting revved up Y2.

I think Jamo will be fine. He's blindingly fast, 2 touches last year for 81 yards (and had a 64 yard TD wiped out by an OL penalty.) It is curious they didn't give him more snaps but I see he's been out in California working with Jared. Trust is a big deal for Goff, Chark took a minute to get going (besides being hurt, they connected only 7 of their first 18 attempts.)

I would bump Detroit up a tier or 2. Amon Ra looks like a star but he's limited to slow mostly. The Lions invested a lot in Jamo and he had some flashes but he also has 1 career reception. The recent outlooks for WRs who were that unproductive as rookies isn't great.

Imagine the Lions spending top half of first round draft capital on a WR with (checks notes) a torn ACL, then twelve months later going "hmm, Williams was unproductive and we cannot work out why, better draft a new WR"

JSN has been mocked to the titans in quite a few “experts” mocks but it seems unlikely if Levis, Paris Johnson or Skoronski happen to be available.

I don’t expect much more than a late round flier like Andrei Iosivas or Malik Knowles.

I would bump Detroit up a tier or 2. Amon Ra looks like a star but he's limited to slow mostly. The Lions invested a lot in Jamo and he had some flashes but he also has 1 career reception. The recent outlooks for WRs who were that unproductive as rookies isn't great.

Imagine the Lions spending top half of first round draft capital on a WR with (checks notes) a torn ACL, then twelve months later going "hmm, Williams was unproductive and we cannot work out why, better draft a new WR"

Yeah well it's not like they'll take JSN or Johnston at 18.

But Tillman at 55 or Perry at 81 or Hutchinson/Ford-Wheaton in the 5th? Sure, they could use one more flavor.

The Lions draft a WR most years, and almost never walk out of a draft without some kind of a pass catcher. Last 6 Drafts (2 different GMs) they've taken a WR somewhere 5 times and a TE 3 times.

EDIT: The WR 3-4-5 rn is Kalif Raymond, Josh Reynolds, and 33 year old Marvin Jones Jr. Ben Johnson can get by just fine with average TEs but they need to raise the floor in the WR room.

Imagine a team that is the favorite to win the division entering the season with potentially zero starting level outside WRs.

Imagine a team that is the favorite to win the division entering the season with potentially zero starting level outside WRs.
My point is you dismissing Jamo completely based on lack of productivity which we knew was going to happen due to injury. Not to say they wouldn't draft a WR, but to make out it is a larger need than the OP suggests for the reasons you do seems kind of comical

My point is you dismissing Jamo completely based on lack of productivity which we knew was going to happen due to injury. Not to say they wouldn't draft a WR, but to make out it is a larger need than the OP suggests for the reasons you do seems kind of comical
You’re right, but we definitely expected more receptions than rushing attempts 😉
1 reception on 9 targets isn’t great either but you’re right that his rookie season was going to be almost a lost year. Hopefully he got into the play book and is ready to roll this year he has mid WR1 talent imo.

Chiefs need a WR in a big way. I expect them to trade up and make a splash in front of the home crowd.
Regarding KC, if they make a splash does it have to be on a rookie contract WR? Or can they fit a Hopkins / any other established vet that may or may not be available under the cap?

Chiefs need a WR in a big way. I expect them to trade up and make a splash in front of the home crowd.
Regarding KC, if they make a splash does it have to be on a rookie contract WR? Or can they fit a Hopkins / any other established vet that may or may not be available under the cap?
KC really has no cap room to make a Hopkins trade at the moment.

But, there has been a lot of talk about Hopkins around here. Chris Jones has one more year on his contract and could be extended to create room. But I don't know. Hopkins would be a nice toy to have, but do the Chiefs really need him?

I don't think so.

I am not totally dismissing him but it’s enough to have some worry. We knew he would come along slow but 1 reception on 9 targets all year is slower than most were expecting imo.

I think the Chefs showed last year they don't need a #1 WR as long as they have this quality version of Kelce. Will a #1 WR be available when the Chefs pick? or at least fall far enough to move up?

I think the Chefs showed last year they don't need a #1 WR as long as they have this quality version of Kelce. Will a #1 WR be available when the Chefs pick? or at least fall far enough to move up?
That's the million dollar question. I think if someone starts to fall then they start getting antsy.

They traded up to get the corner they wanted last year, so he's not afraid to do it. And yeah, you are correct regarding Kelce. But going into the season with Toney as a key figure in that room surely makes them nervous.

They have to get another guy at some point.

I am not totally dismissing him but it’s enough to have some worry. We knew he would come along slow but 1 reception on 9 targets all year is slower than most were expecting imo.
Based on the team's messaging about his health dating back to summer 2022 I do not share your concern. They couldn't have made it more clear what their expectations were for 2022. It just so happened this team was more competitive late in the season than expected preseason. Had this team backed into a wildcard it'd have been beneficial for this inexperienced team to dip their toes into playoff football waters, but they weren't going anywhere so I don't see the reason to alter the plan. Last season was always about setting the table for this one. This team could use some young legs to compete for the #3 and #4 roles, but the 1-2 is Jamo-Amon. If they're doing any investing in offensive skill positions I agree with the note made upstream re TE.

That's the million dollar question. I think if someone starts to fall then they start getting antsy.

They traded up to get the corner they wanted last year, so he's not afraid to do it. And yeah, you are correct regarding Kelce. But going into the season with Toney as a key figure in that room surely makes them nervous.

...but who is that someone? I mean, yeah, if JSN falls then go get him and shame on the rest of the league. Is there another WR in this crop that has the ability to develop into an alpha and this team is willing to bet they can unlock it? If no then trading up just to plug the hole is counter productive.

it's not like they'll take JSN or Johnston at 18.

But Tillman at 55 or Perry at 81 or Hutchinson/Ford-Wheaton in the 5th? Sure, they could use one more flavor.

The Lions draft a WR most years, and almost never walk out of a draft without some kind of a pass catcher. Last 6 Drafts (2 different GMs) they've taken a WR somewhere 5 times and a TE 3 times.

EDIT: The WR 3-4-5 rn is Kalif Raymond, Josh Reynolds, and 33 year old Marvin Jones Jr. Ben Johnson can get by just fine with average TEs but they need to raise the floor in the WR room.
A.T. Perry is an interesting guy in the 3rd, 6 foot 3/4.47 and averaging 13 tds/1200 yards the last two years. Tillman in the 2nd round another big target with upside.

Curious, how many more years do we expect Kelce to be KELCE!!!? Figure he’s 34 this season. Two more years? I guess there’s time to get Patrick his next go to guy but I’d think they’d jump IF there’s an alpha they like within reach.

Zay would be intriguing imo.

...but who is that someone? I mean, yeah, if JSN falls then go get him and shame on the rest of the league. Is there another WR in this crop that has the ability to develop into an alpha and this team is willing to bet they can unlock it? If no then trading up just to plug the hole is counter productive.
No idea.

And honestly, I could see them be just as aggressive to trade up and get a D-end. Those are their two biggest needs. Who that is I don't know. I just don't see Veach sitting there all night waiting til the last pick.

it's not like they'll take JSN or Johnston at 18.

A.T. Perry is an interesting guy in the 3rd, 6 foot 3/4.47 and averaging 13 tds/1200 yards the last two years. Tillman in the 2nd round another big target with upside.

He’d be a project. A worthwhile one IMO, kid has a lot of refinement to his craft. The issue is he’s only played in that super weird Wake offense: slow developing RPO, receivers run choice options, it doesn’t even remotely resemble an NFL scheme. That said, kid is super cerebral, great work ethic, I could see him developing a rapport with Goff. He understands leverage - can make corners look silly, tenacious ball skills, elite ball tracking. Traits guy who should translate but I’m not sure about Y1.

And honestly, I could see them be just as aggressive to trade up and get a D-end. Those are their two biggest needs. Who that is I don't know. I just don't see Veach sitting there all night waiting til the last pick.
Given this draft's talent pool I'd bet on DL being the primary target rather than WR. I think a pass catcher gets added, but with role player intentions.

Curious, how many more years do we expect Kelce to be KELCE!!!? Figure he’s 34 this season. Two more years? I guess there’s time to get Patrick his next go to guy but I’d think they’d jump IF there’s an alpha they like within reach.
I think Kelce is already cheating death - at least from an alpha perspective. May not be one of those types to suddenly fall over a cliff, but it wouldn't surprise me if he is. Regardless I think last year was the WR class to attack the problem (when Kelce was also tight end old), but right or wrong KC opted for CB. Maybe they have a different assessment on this WR class than I do though.

Black dotting this thread.

I also don't share 80s concern about Jameson Williams, but 80s is pretty dialed into this stuff, so it gives me pause. They do need an X, and I can't believe they didn't re-sign Chark for more than 5 million for this year only. Layne and Hoard and 80s know more than I do about the Lions, but it would seem he was affordable at that rate.

Black dotting this thread.

I also don't share 80s concern about Jameson Williams, but 80s is pretty dialed into this stuff, so it gives me pause. They do need an X, and I can't believe they didn't re-sign Chark for more than 5 million for this year only. Layne and Hoard and 80s know more than I do about the Lions, but it would seem he was affordable at that rate.

You are on point. They have ten under contract and it does not inspire confidence.

X-WRJosh ReynoldsQuintez CephusTrinity Benson
Y-WRAmon-Ra St. BrownMarvin Jones JrTom KennedyStanley Berryhill
Z-WRJameson WilliamsKalif RaymondMaurice Alexander

Users who are viewing this thread