What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Sterling Shepard, NYG (4 Viewers)

Oops, I didn't realize the Vikes were next on the schedule.  I might bench him for one more week. I'm not sure he's matchup proof, especially if its true that Eli hasn't played well against them.

For those of us who have been letting him ride our bench in favor of a different #3 WR, it's time to start him unless your #3 WR is a clearly better option.  So far, his floor is high and he has upside, despite Cruz.
I've started him every game so far, not holding back now even against the MIN defense.

I've started him every game so far, not holding back now even against the MIN defense.
I'm still trying to figure out how the Vikes shut down Benjamin last week. I wonder if the Vikes can shut down all 3 Giants WRs, who are better than the Panthers WRs.

I'm still trying to figure out how the Vikes shut down Benjamin last week. I wonder if the Vikes can shut down all 3 Giants WRs, who are better than the Panthers WRs.
They sacked Cam 8 times and didn't give him time to throw to KB on the deeper routes that Carolina likes to run with KB

For those of us who have been letting him ride our bench in favor of a different #3 WR, it's time to start him unless your #3 WR is a clearly better option.  So far, his floor is high and he has upside, despite Cruz.
I have given Cooper the nod the last 3 weeks but not an easy choice. Shepard has equaled or out produced him every week...

Frank Black said:
The Vikings def is stout.  They shUT down Rodgers and cam.  Eli may get some numbers but I think he's gonna struggle just like the rest

I wouldn't start Eli against the Vikes but hard to sit Shepard at this point. I can't see Jennings running effectively against this defense and with Bradford moving the ball pretty well, I think the Giants will be forced to pass early and often. Should be a 40+ passing attempt game from Eli, so I expect Shepard to get at least 8 targets (and the Vikes to get at least 2 picks). Nobody should be expecting anything more than 5/60/0, though.

Thoughts on Shepard in redraft at this point and ROS?  

I was encouraged after the first few weeks, but now he is getting close to droppable for me as I look to make other moves.

He is droppable.  seems he will only be usable if odb or Cruz goes down
:crazy:

He's still playing more snaps than Cruz and getting more targets than Cruz. Not by a large margin, but enough that your comment makes no sense.

The Giants have been struggling as a team to move the ball. Odell's stats are propped up by that one game, but he's only had 2/7 games over 100 yards. Last year he had 8/15. Hopefully McAdoo can figure things out over the bye.

:crazy:

He's still playing more snaps than Cruz and getting more targets than Cruz. Not by a large margin, but enough that your comment makes no sense.

The Giants have been struggling as a team to move the ball. Odell's stats are propped up by that one game, but he's only had 2/7 games over 100 yards. Last year he had 8/15. Hopefully McAdoo can figure things out over the bye.
I'm not crazy.   he has not produced #### in over a month. No targets.   you can post all the numbers you want,  I want guys that produce on my team.   times running out waiting for something that won't happen

I'm not crazy.   he has not produced #### in over a month. No targets.   you can post all the numbers you want,  I want guys that produce on my team.   times running out waiting for something that won't happen
I agree he (and the rest of the team) hasn't produced but to act like he's third in the pecking order is indeed crazy. He's clearly ahead of Cruz.

I agree he (and the rest of the team) hasn't produced but to act like he's third in the pecking order is indeed crazy. He's clearly ahead of Cruz.
Also I should state I play in leagues with short benches.  if you want to hold him I understand.   there are guys holding worse wrs

Also I should state I play in leagues with short benches.  if you want to hold him I understand.   there are guys holding worse wrs
I don't fault you for dropping him in a short bench league. I'm just saying his poor stats of late are not due to Cruz being ahead of him, it's bc the Giants have sucked as a team. If this offense starts clicking, he's got WR2 upside. But right now, the Giants are 26th in points and 20th in yards and I'm sure they're worse than that in the last 4 games (they weren't too bad through the first 3 weeks). If I was you, I'd consider dropping him during his bye and picking him back up next week in case they get their **** back together.

Sterling Shepard said he wants to improve after the catch as a sophomore.

"I feel like I could have gotten a lot more YAC yardage last year," Shepard said. "That's something that I looked at on film and I want to get better on." Shepard was second on the team with 105 targets as a rookie, but he averaged just 10.5 yards per catch. With Brandon Marshall likely to take over the No. 2 spot this year, Shepard will have to be more efficient to better the 683 yards he managed as a rookie.

Source: Newark Star-Ledger 
May 29 - 12:39 PM

ESPN Giants reporter Jordan Raanan singled out Sterling Shepard as the team's "most consistent receiver" at spring practices.

Considering Odell Beckham has barely practiced and Brandon Marshall is learning the offense, this isn't a surprise. Shepard ran with the ones in OTAs but figures to drop a spot with Beckham back for minicamp. The Giants have said they want to use more two-tight end sets, which would hurt Shepard's playing time. Shepard is barely a WR5/6 in re-draft leagues.

Source: ESPN.com 

Jun 14 - 8:50 AM

:sadbanana:

Jordan Raanan‏Verified account @JordanRaanan 32m32 minutes ago

Sterling Shepard was looked at on sideline. He's in serious pain. Taken off on cart. Apparently in tears. Not good.

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet 11m11 minutes ago

#Giants WR Sterling Shepard was carted off the field today during practice

and doctors were looking at his ankle. Update after practice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sterling Shepard (right leg) was carted off the practice field Wednesday.

Getting carted off is always an ominous sign, and Shepard was apparently in tears as he was leaving the field. It suggests Shepard knows he has a serious injury. Reporters didn't see what happened, but trainers appeared to be examining his right leg. Even after Brandon Marshall's addition, Shepard is still expected to have a big role in 2017. Darius Powe, Tavarres King, and Roger Lewis are next up.

Source: Jordan Raanan on Twitter 

Aug 2 - 11:47 AM

The Giants say Sterling Shepard escaped Wednesday's scary training camp injury with a "rolled ankle."

The Giants are calling it a "basketball-type injury." Shepard's injury was serious enough that he had to be carted off the field in tears, so we still wouldn't rule out a high ankle sprain, but the news is positive. With Brandon Marshall in town, Shepard remains nothing more than a late-round fantasy dart.

Renato Lazzarini‏ @rblazza 31m31 minutes ago

#Giants: The initial tests about Sterling Shepard's injury were positives and were diagnosed as a low-ankle sprain.

Good news!

Renato Lazzarini‏ @rblazza 31m31 minutes ago

#Giants: The initial tests about Sterling Shepard's injury were positives and were diagnosed as a low-ankle sprain.

Good news!
Not directed at you specifically, but could we stop this recent trend of pasting in tweets sans link?  It just looks fake.

After spending Thursday in a walking boot, Sterling Shepard shed the boot on Friday and was seen walking without a limp.

Shepard seems to have escaped Wednesday's scary injury with a mere low sprain. He underwent an MRI and has already been cleared to walk around freely in tennis shoes. Shepard also called reports he was "crying" after suffering the injury "erroneous." "I'll be ready for Week 1, for sure," he said.

Source: Kim Jones on Twitter 

Aug 4 - 2:00 PM

Where art thou,

sterling?
The Giants use of his talents is borderline criminal. I am dropping him immediately during waiver wires this week and I won't look back. I will never draft another Giants player until Eli Manning is gone. Never again!

The Giants use of his talents is borderline criminal. I am dropping him immediately during waiver wires this week and I won't look back. I will never draft another Giants player until Eli Manning is gone. Never again!
After seeing how lousy Marshall's been, you gotta think Giants will start using this guy and Engram more.

Then again this is the same team who wrongly evaluated they didn't need to upgrade the OL and at RB.

After seeing how lousy Marshall's been, you gotta think Giants will start using this guy and Engram more.

Then again this is the same team who wrongly evaluated they didn't need to upgrade the OL and at RB.
You would have thought tonight was desperation to not start 0-2 at home......Shepard got four passes his way TOTAL. Offensive line play is baaaaad and Eli is on the decline and his decline looks like it's deteriorating fast. I want nothing t do with the Giants. Rather just pick up prospects with a chance to be special. 

You would have thought tonight was desperation to not start 0-2 at home......Shepard got four passes his way TOTAL. Offensive line play is baaaaad and Eli is on the decline and his decline looks like it's deteriorating fast. I want nothing t do with the Giants. Rather just pick up prospects with a chance to be special. 
I'm definitely no Eli fan, but keep in mind that a bad OL makes QBs look bad. Eli's PFF grade was 74 last night. I mean, Dalton looks like he's in decline, too, due to his OL and he's only 30. Brady looked bad when KC was pressuring him, but he seems to be fine.

Wow, just noticed on SSND's spreadsheet that Sterling played 100% of the snaps again. I think Hopkins is the only other WR to do that. If you think this offense :X  will ever grow legs, he might be a nice buy low right now, although only with WR3 upside. He's got 12 targets to Marshall's 9. The offseason expectation was that those numbers would be flipped.

Wow, just noticed on SSND's spreadsheet that Sterling played 100% of the snaps again. I think Hopkins is the only other WR to do that. If you think this offense :X  will ever grow legs, he might be a nice buy low right now, although only with WR3 upside. He's got 12 targets to Marshall's 9. The offseason expectation was that those numbers would be flipped.
Good to know. He was just dropped in my league, and I own Beckham. Usually you don't need WR "handcuffs" but who knows if this high-ankle sprain will flare up again. I'd have to drop Donte Moncrief, who I've been stashing as bench depth in hopes Luck would be back by mid-season.

Good to know. He was just dropped in my league, and I own Beckham. Usually you don't need WR "handcuffs" but who knows if this high-ankle sprain will flare up again. I'd have to drop Donte Moncrief, who I've been stashing as bench depth in hopes Luck would be back by mid-season.
I would not drop him for Shepard. He's got way more upside.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Sterling Shepard (ankle) is waiting on MRI results, but is initially considered week to week.

Schefter reports the injury is similar to the issue that sidelined Shepard in camp. It's good news considering the severity of Odell Beckham and Brandon Marshall's ankle injuries, but Shepard sounds doubtful for Week 6 against the Seahawks.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Oct 8 - 8:19 PM

I know he's got a minor injury that may keep him out a week or two, but not much chatter about a young guy who just moved from WR3 to WR1 in a single week and has looked pretty good so far this year (after a promising rookie year). 

Volume alone should make him a WR2 when he returns.

The Giants suck, but if you're going to roster any player from a crappy team it might as well be their top WR. For fantasy purposes though I'd say he's a low end WR2.

Giant = Eli, no run game, no Wr's to take pressure off Shepard ...... I think the Giants might not win a game 
Kendall Wright has put up a few good games without any other WRs to take pressure off and I'd like to think Shepard is better than Wright. Not sure Eli is better than Glennon/Trubisky at this point, though.

Sterling Shepard (ankle) was spotted with his foot in a walking boot on Tuesday.

Shepard said it's the same ankle he injured in camp. That issue cost Shepard about 10 days of practice. The Giants' injury-ruined receiver corps could desperately use Shepard's presence against the Broncos' elite secondary, but it's looking like a stretch right now. There's a real chance the G-Men head into the Mile High City with Roger Lewis as their No. 1 receiver.

Source: Dan Duggan on Twitter 

Oct 10 - 4:15 PM

Any thoughts on Shepard coming out of the bye 3 weeks from now? If he gets healthy and past these next 2 lousy matchups it seems to me he's the NYG starting WR1.

I know he's got a minor injury that may keep him out a week or two, but not much chatter about a young guy who just moved from WR3 to WR1 in a single week and has looked pretty good so far this year (after a promising rookie year). 

Volume alone should make him a WR2 when he returns.
This is what I'm thinking. It would take bench space, but it maybe makes a Buy Low.

How are people valueing him rest of season ? I've made a move for him trying to get him for Alex Collins as I'm really short for a WR in week 9 where I own both Cooks and Hogan. Think he could be pretty decent rest of season, at least there's Engram there as well to draw some attention 

How are people valueing him rest of season ? I've made a move for him trying to get him for Alex Collins as I'm really short for a WR in week 9 where I own both Cooks and Hogan. Think he could be pretty decent rest of season, at least there's Engram there as well to draw some attention 
I think most will project WR3 numbers, but I think he could easily be in the WR2 range, especially in PPR. There's just so much volume available and he followed up a solid rookie season with a better than expected 2nd year despite the presence of Marshall. Hard to know for sure how he'll do as the WR1 for the team, but he's been trending in the right direction.

Users who are viewing this thread