What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Sterling Shepard, NYG (2 Viewers)

Shepard’s competition for targets are

Dwayne Harris – played surprisingly well for the Giants as a WR last season

Geremy Davis – 2nd year player was a 6th or 7th round pick last year. Has good size (about 6’2) and took a lot of 1st team reps this spring

Victor Cruz – all Giants fans are hoping for the Cruz of old but realistically just hope the guy can still lace them up

Myles White – played a bit last season, he was with GB while McAdoo was there so he knows the system (2013)

Plus a few UDFA’s Rodger Lewis (Bowling Green) and Darius Powe (Cal)  to name a couple

Back when the NYG coach was in GB he was part of an offense that made a mad man out of Cobb and they still had a huge outside presence while throwing a ton. I'm not trying to state the obvious, but isnt it pretty obvious what is about to happen? Hall of Fame QB with a great #1 option and a fast athletic sure handed slot guy. Sound familiar? Over thinking things is what leads to people calling a WR picked at slot 40, over many other WRs left out there, a mere role player. He may be, but thats what your guess is at this point? I guess he will be a role player, his role will be to be Cobb in the offense.

The Giants have no #2 option, what more do you need to know? Cruz? People are still buying that he will matter? Broke his knee and sat out an entire year and still isnt healthy, he is done. Not to state the obvious again, but isnt it pretty obvious what is about to happen? Cruz is now a role player, if anything and if he even stays on the team.

The wrong NY team got this kid if you ask this Jets fan.
not necessarily a role player with the negative connotation like someone coming off the bench in sports, but filling a role.

Randle had 90 targets, 57 catches, 800 yards, and 8 TDs.
That's about what I said-4 5 catches for 50 yards a game. (not exactly, I guess catches are off, yards are OK)

I don't see him getting more than 90 targets with ODB around. 90 even seems hmmm maybe high.

I don't think the Giants have the WR talent the Pack have to pull off what you're saying. The Pack work a nice 3 WR set with others subbing in for fresh legs and....I don't think the Gmen have the "horses" to run that.  It's an interesting counter point and I'm not discrediting it, just saying why I disagree.

IF Shephard has a nice rookie year, I could see it more like a dual threat in 2017. Driver and Morgan, Driver and ...anyone in GB. I don't think they're going to be so quick to go away from their stud ODB. I still figure he gets the lion's share and maybe in 2017 he's doing his own "give me the darn ball" sentiment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Giants are depending on a few FA additions to fix their defense, have a mess at RB, and lots of warm bodies at WR and TE after OBJ and Shepard. I could very easily see a scenario where Shepard gets more than 90 targets as a rookie. 

I went back to look at WR usage with McAdoo and the Packers, however their WR were injured a lot in recent seasons, making it difficult to really note consistent trends of WR use.

McAdoo was the TE coach from 2006 to 2011. He was the QB coach in 2012-2013. Most of the time McCarthy was calling the plays. I do think McAdoo gets some credit for the up tempo packaged plays, but I don't find the 2012 or 2013 WR targets to be very helpful for what the Giants may do.

We do have 2014 and 2015 of him calling the plays for the Giants.

2014 OBJ 130 targets in 12 games (173) Randle 127 targets Donnell 92 targets Parker 56 targets (41 game 7 and on) Cruz 41 targets. (6 games) Jennings 41 targets Andre Williams 37 targets.

Parker was used more after Cruz was injured. Randle likely got more targets because of Parker not being very good.

2015 OBJ 158 targets 15 games (169) Randle 90 targets Vereen 81 targets Will Tye 62 targets Harris 57 targets Donnell 41 targets (8 games) Jennings 40 targets

The use of OBJ is basically the same, around 170 targets. The second WR Randle has had 90 and 127 targets. The higher target number coincided with Cruz being injured and the 4th WR not being very good.

In 2015 they used Vereen a lot more in the passing game. Jennings had 40 targets both seasons. Targets to RB went up by about 45 in 2015 compared to 2014 with fewer targets going to WRs.

I could see Shephard getting those 90 targets Randle had last season and perhaps a 120 to 130 target ceiling in years ahead. For 2016 he is still a rookie, so it wouldn't surprise me if his targets are a bit lower than 90 this season. 90 targets is pretty much what I expect however.

I do think the Giants and McAdoo will be looking to upgrade at their 3rd WR spot if Cruz is not fully recovered. Wishing Cruz the best, this offense could really good if he can come back close to what he was prior to his injury. The odds seem against that happening, but if Cruz does get a lot of targets this season, that could limit Shephards opportunity somewhat.

I expect Vereen to be heavily targeted again, so there are few less targets available to support 3 WR than there were without him.

Amari Cooper had 130 targets, just...for me he's a good absolute ceiling type barometer. I don't think Shephard does better than Cooper as a rook but solely bringing it up for a ceiling

He doesn't have the same ceiling, but they win in similar ways. He's what, only two inches shorter?  Other than that their skills-sets are more similar than most people realize. Cooper is taller, faster over longer distances, and at least slightly more talented in almost every category, and will be targeted a lot more. But Shepard is like a slightly shrunken shadow of Cooper as a player, and that could still be a really good player. 

Shepard’s competition for targets are

Dwayne Harris – played surprisingly well for the Giants as a WR last season

Geremy Davis – 2nd year player was a 6th or 7th round pick last year. Has good size (about 6’2) and took a lot of 1st team reps this spring

Victor Cruz – all Giants fans are hoping for the Cruz of old but realistically just hope the guy can still lace them up

Myles White – played a bit last season, he was with GB while McAdoo was there so he knows the system (2013)

Plus a few UDFA’s Rodger Lewis (Bowling Green) and Darius Powe (Cal)  to name a couple
Beat writers are saying that they prefer that Harris is mainly on special teams. Harris shouldn't take many targets unless there is an injury. 

I expect Shepard to become the #2 lit it up in OTAs. Need to see how he handles press coverage, should do well had 20 reps i think at the combine.

Cruz will be the #3 and play the slot in 3 wr sets. 

UDFA Lewis really impressed in OTAs.

On one hand, the potential for 120 targets as the clear #2 (I'm ruling out Cruz, which may be a mistake) in a 600+ attempt passing offense is intriguing.   Problem is he's getting a lot of attention which means he will probably be priced near his ceiling.

On one hand, the potential for 120 targets as the clear #2 (I'm ruling out Cruz, which may be a mistake) in a 600+ attempt passing offense is intriguing.   Problem is he's getting a lot of attention which means he will probably be priced near his ceiling.
Might be Cruz starts getting taken 2-3 rounds after Shepard. 

Cruz does look good in this video from Friday, but that also depends on who is doing the drill with him? Injury was to his right knee. Doesn't look like he takes it easy on it.

Cruz drills

But then there's this fall from OTAs. Looks like Cruz points to the ground and the trainer kicks something away.  Loose ground, or is there a spot in Cruz's knee that is an issue if it clicks in the right spot?

Cruz falls or slips?

Sounds like they want to take it easy on Cruz. A reduced workload by being the number 3 makes sense to me. 

ESPN New York reports second-round WR Sterling Shepard "keeps making play after play" at Giants camp.
Per reporter Jordan Raanan, "it’s clear (Shepard is) going to be a big part of this offense with his ability to make tough, contested catches." Shepard has been drawing praise since his first Giants practice. He'll begin the season as a fantasy WR4 with the upside for more.

Source: ESPN New York 
Aug 4 - 8:02 PM

Whats the best stats of a #2 option in Eli's history?  76-1192-7. 
somewhere around there...Cruz would be a threat to those numbers if he ever comes back to close to his old form.

At his current redraft ADP, he's a decent value IMHO.  Particularly with ODB drawing so many double teams.

He is listed as the #2 WR so is he lining up as the Flanker?

https://www.sny.tv/giants/news/giants-first-depth-chart-features-top-draft-picks-offseason-additions/194527794

Giants first depth chart features top draft picks, offseason additions

By

John Fennelly

Aug 9 | 9:52AM

The Giants released the first cut of their 2016 depth chart on Monday and two rookies are occupying starting positions in what were key "need" roles.

WR Sterling Shepard, the Giants' second-round pick out of Oklahoma, is penciled in as the club's No. 2 receiver across from Pro Bowler Odell Beckham, Jr.

Cool.  His stock is rising
Just checked depth charts and only three rookies are listed as skill position starters:

1. RB Ezekiel Elliott
  2. WR Corey Coleman
  3. WR Sterling Shepard
Surprised there isn't more posts on him especially if he is the Z-WR (Flanker) starting opposite Odell where he will see lots of single coverage considering he destroyed Matt Harmon's 'Reception-Perception' model for beating press and man coverage.

http://www.thebackyardbanter.com/reception-perception-2016-nfl-draft-prospects-results.htm

... Sterling Shepard simply broke the system with an 82.8 percent success rate against man coverage, and 91.1 percent against press. Question his size, or a future as “just” a slot receiver, but that is a rare ability to get open. Over a full Reception Perception sample, Shepard posted SRVC numbers akin to that of some of the best wide receivers in the NFL. His advanced and nuanced route-running combined with tangible athletic gifts should make him a lock for a top-three ranking at his position.

Just checked depth charts and only three rookies are listed as skill position starters:

1. RB Ezekiel Elliott
  2. WR Corey Coleman
  3. WR Sterling Shepard
Surprised there isn't more posts on him especially if he is the Z-WR (Flanker) starting opposite Odell where he will see lots of single coverage considering he destroyed Matt Harmon's 'Reception-Perception' model for beating press and man coverage.

http://www.thebackyardbanter.com/reception-perception-2016-nfl-draft-prospects-results.htm

... Sterling Shepard simply broke the system with an 82.8 percent success rate against man coverage, and 91.1 percent against press. Question his size, or a future as “just” a slot receiver, but that is a rare ability to get open. Over a full Reception Perception sample, Shepard posted SRVC numbers akin to that of some of the best wide receivers in the NFL. His advanced and nuanced route-running combined with tangible athletic gifts should make him a lock for a top-three ranking at his position.
Been taking him as a wr4 in alot of mocks.  Bet I won't be able to get him there soon

August depth charts don't mean a whole lot. But no surprise Sterling is the starter as that has been informally projected since OTAs.

Still seeing him go in the 8th & sometimes 9th in 12 team redraft mocks. I'd take him in the 7th (WR36-40) over Coleman, Diggs, Treadwell. It's when I see him going off the board in front of guys like Hurns or Lockett I start to question his value.

Starting to think much like Beckham, who usually went 1.5 or later in my dynasty rookie drafts, that this guy should have gone right after Elliot. Still very high on Coleman, Treadwell, and Doctson long term, but I think he'll make an instant impact. He has a QB that will throw a ton, a team (and division) that plays average to poor defense, and I could see a lot of high scoring games. He'll also never see a #1 CB. A lot to like here in a PPR format especially. 

• Smile
Reactions: LBH
Odell Beckham talked up second-round WR Sterling Shepard following Wednesday's practice.
"I don't want to spoil the surprise, but he's going to be a special player," Beckham said. "I kind of want to keep him on the down low right now, so that way he just jumps out the first couple of games and has some big plays." Shepard has consistently worked as the Giants' No. 2 wideout since the spring. Shepard and OBJ open the season in plus spots against the Cowboys and Saints.

Source: NJ Advance Media 
Aug 10 - 2:51 PM

FBG depth chart lists starters in blue.  For the Titans, they only list Rishard Mathews in blue.

I think the designation is for players who have clearly won the starting job to separate them from players in green who appear to have been defaulted to the top of a depth chart due to lack of anyone else winning the position.

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/depthchart.php

Tennessee Titans [Back to top]

WR: Rishard MatthewsTajae SharpeKendall Wright (inj)Dorial Green-BeckhamAndre JohnsonHarry DouglasJustin HunterTre McBrideDamaris JohnsonAndrew Turzilli (susp), Nick Harwell,Ben Roberts

New York Giants [Back to top]

WR: Odell Beckham Jr.Sterling ShepardDwayne Harris (KR/PR),Victor CruzGeremy DavisRoger LewisMyles WhiteTavarres King, Anthony Dable, Darius Powe, KJ Maye

Dallas Cowboys [Back to top]

RB: Ezekiel ElliottDarren McFadden (inj)Alfred MorrisDarius JacksonLance Dunbar (inj)Rod SmithBen Malena

Cleveland Browns [Back to top]

WR: Josh Gordon (susp)Corey ColemanTerrelle PryorAndrew HawkinsRashard HigginsTaylor GabrielJordan PaytonRicardo LouisDarius JenningsMarlon MooreRannell Hall

The 5th round U-Mass WR Sharpe, is interesting but he's not beating out Kendall Wright when Kendall is healthy and right now, Wright is nursing a hammy giving Tajae his brief shot to sit atop the depth chart in early August but this doesn't mean nearly as much as Sterling Shepard listed as the starter since he has taken over the slot from the get-go.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nfl/titans/2016/08/02/titans-kendall-wright-injures-hamstring/87900444/

Titans' Kendall Wright injures hamstring

VIDEOS: TENNESSEE TITANS TRAINING CAMPTitans Training Camp day 9 | 1:55

Tennessean Titans writer John Glennon breaks down Titans training camp day 9. George Walker IV / The Tennessean

The point is that few rookies legitimately have beaten the competition and are listed as starters.

Elliott is the top FF rookie.

Coleman has risen to the starting X-WR and is bigger than Shepard so even if/when Josh Gordon comes back he will slide over to flanker Z-WR and still get fed.

Shepard is the starting slot, Y-WR but the G-Men are planning to use him in many ways.  He's not as big and strong as Coleman but he runs excellent routes and catches everything.  

Context is the point.  What Shepard has done is unique.  He is going to jump out of the gates early whereas guys like Laquon and Josh Doctson are not starting and will have to work their way into the starting lineup before they make a FF impact.

Shepard should really be talked about much more than he has.   

Shepard should really be talked about much more than he has.   
Chug... Chug-chug.. Chugga-chug. Chugga-chugga-chugga-chugga cho chooooooooo.

The Sterling train is leaving the station. allllllllllllllll aboard!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/11/odell-beckham-thinks-sterling-shepard-will-be-a-big-time-player/

Odell Beckham thinks Sterling Shepard will be a “big-time player”

Posted by Josh Alper on August 11, 2016, 7:15 AM EDT
... Odell Beckham, Shepard’s partner in the starting lineup, predicts big things for the rookie.

“I don’t want to spoil the surprise but it’s going to be … he’s going to be a special player,” Beckham said, via ESPN.com. “I kind of want to keep him on the down low for right now so that way he just jumps out the first couple games and has some big plays, touchdowns and all that. … I think you’re seeing him start to feel more comfortable. And he’s going to be a big-time player.”

Looked good but also left the game with a groin injury.
Seems precautionary.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000684624/article/what-we-learned-19-takeaways-from-fridays-games

The Giants gave their fans a scare by announcing mid-game injuries for their top two draft picks: cornerback Eli Apple (leg strain) and wide receiver Sterling Shepard, who injured his groin. Coach Ben McAdoo indicated after the game, however, that both injuries were not serious.

Shepard built on his non-stop camp buzz by repeatedly beating cornerbacks off the line of scrimmage and hauling in a difficult 24-yard catch.

Giants listed second-round WR Sterling Shepard as the starter opposite Odell Beckham.
Even with Victor Cruz "healthy," Shepard will open the season in two-wide sets with Cruz listed as the third receiver. Even if Cruz is able to stay "healthy," Shepard has 100-target upside in what should be a pass-heavy attack. He is an upside WR4.

Source: Tom Rock on Twitter

Sterling Shepard caught 3-of-4 targets for 43 yards and a touchdown in New York's Week 1 win over the Cowboys.
Shepard's fourth target was an Eli Manning interception. Shepard appeared to pull up a bit on the route, but was reasonable in his expectation that the ball wouldn't be coming his way. Manning forced a very poor throw. For his score, Shepard ran an excellent route, badly burning fellow rookie CB Anthony Brown. Shepard is still just a low-end WR4, but has room to grow. He has a mouthwatering Week 2 matchup in the Saints' banged up secondary.

What are people doing this week?  Seemed like he was fitting in nicely until that INT and then Eli did not seem to look for him after that.  That has me concerned.  But as noted above, the matchup is so nice.

What are people doing this week?  Seemed like he was fitting in nicely until that INT and then Eli did not seem to look for him after that.  That has me concerned.  But as noted above, the matchup is so nice.
I can only start 3 at WR so Shepard is on the bench behind A.Rob, B.Marshall and D.Jackson. :shrug:

I'm pretty close to starting him over Moncrief(wr3) and probably will with the matchups this week. 

Currently have him in over Michael Floyd but will probably get cold feet and change my mind before gametime on Sunday. Tough to get a read on exactly how they might use him this week, though the match-up is about as good as it gets and OBJ will draw all the defensive attention for what that's worth.

I've got him in at my flex over Hyde in a 1 pt ppr. Who from NO will stop any Giant receiver this Sunday. If they sell out to stop OBJ then Manning will find Shepard early and often. That TD catch was pretty sick last Sunday. 

Jordan RaananVerified account@JordanRaanan

The Giants again played with 3 WRs almost every play. Odell Beckham Jr., Sterling Shepard and Victor Cruz each played at least 94% of snaps.
Mike Clay ‏@MikeClayNFL  7h7 hours ago
Mike Clay Retweeted Jordan Raanan
Giants have ranked 2nd in the league in 3WR sets when passing each of McAdoo's seasons. The tradition lives on.

Sterling has really been the lone bright spot of my season thus far.  I reached a round or two higher than I probably had too, but I saw enough of him to know he's got the goods.  He's a really good kid too so I'm extremely excited to see him do well at the next level.

Best WR trio in the NFL?

Shep is a young stud in the making and quite possibly the best WR from this class. Ideal situation in a pass heavy offense with an elite #1 on his team to pull coverage. Quick twitch agility and tough as nails. Great head on his shoulders and studies the game. I think the Giants will be sending 2 WRs to the Pro Bowl for the next half decade or more.

For those of us who have been letting him ride our bench in favor of a different #3 WR, it's time to start him unless your #3 WR is a clearly better option.  So far, his floor is high and he has upside, despite Cruz.

For those of us who have been letting him ride our bench in favor of a different #3 WR, it's time to start him unless your #3 WR is a clearly better option.  So far, his floor is high and he has upside, despite Cruz.
I had been using Floyd the first 2 weeks, I put Shepard in yesterday for the first time and was pleased, seems to have a pretty high floor, perfect WR3 with upside to be a 2 I think.

Vikings next week and they have owned Manning for years now. Averaged 1 TD per game against them for his career. He threw 3 picks against them last year and 4 on 2 other occasions and this MINN D is probably the best he has ever faced. 

Users who are viewing this thread