What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Mike Evans, TB (1 Viewer)

Speaking in a Tuesday radio interview, Bucs coach Bruce Arians lamented not moving Mike Evans around the formation more against the Saints and said he "feels bad" any time Evans receives fewer than 10 targets. 

You can practically hear Arians applying grease to Evans' squeaky wheel. His comments also imply Evans' down Week 1 — one catch for seven yards (touchdown) — was not because of his balky hamstring. Hopefully Tom Brady gets the memo instead of funneling targets Scotty Miller's way. The Panthers are an infinitely better Week 2 matchup than New Orleans. 

SOURCE: Rick Stroud on Twitter 

Sep 15, 2020, 5:13 PM ET

Wait - Evans is responsible for 1/3 of Winston’s picks last year?
Yes

Granted Winston made plenty of stupid decisions but Evans shoulders a ton of the blame. It sure wasn’t Godwin or the TE’s. I watched the Bucs all last year. Almost every play. Evans is gifted but hangs QBs out to dry. Just stops routes. All the time. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Judge Smails said:
Yes

Granted Winston made plenty of stupid decisions but Evans shoulders a ton of the blame. It sure wasn’t Godwin or the TE’s. I watched the Bucs all last year. Almost every play. Evans is gifted but hangs QBs out to dry. Just stops routes. All the time. 
You know that WRs are supposed to adjust their routes based on coverage, right? Arians called that out in the press conference after the game. Based on the coverage Evans was supposed to sit in the open spot of the zone, which he did, and Brady threw it to where he would have gone, had the safety not been over the top. 

I'm willing to bet that many of the times in the past where you saw Evans "Just stops routes" it was him stopping a route where he was supposed to, in open ares of the field based on the secondary alignment. Arians didn't call out his new QB and praise his young WR just for ####s and giggles, Evans was in the right and was where he was supposed to be.

Also, Arians is pressing for him to get the ball more. I'd expect Evans to start getting a healthy target share as long as he stays healthy. Just because Brady is older and has lots of wins under his belt doesn't mean that pick wasn't on him. 

You know that WRs are supposed to adjust their routes based on coverage, right? Arians called that out in the press conference after the game. Based on the coverage Evans was supposed to sit in the open spot of the zone, which he did, and Brady threw it to where he would have gone, had the safety not been over the top. 

I'm willing to bet that many of the times in the past where you saw Evans "Just stops routes" it was him stopping a route where he was supposed to, in open ares of the field based on the secondary alignment. Arians didn't call out his new QB and praise his young WR just for ####s and giggles, Evans was in the right and was where he was supposed to be.

Also, Arians is pressing for him to get the ball more. I'd expect Evans to start getting a healthy target share as long as he stays healthy. Just because Brady is older and has lots of wins under his belt doesn't mean that pick wasn't on him. 
Arians walked that comment back.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nesn.com/2020/09/tom-brady-mike-evans-bruce-arians-buccaneers-saints/amp/

It was on Evans. Trust me - I watched every play last year. Not only does Evans stop routes or reads coverage incorrectly, he also doesn’t compete well on jump balls where he could prevent interceptions. Huge talent but he’s a QB’s worst nightmare for picks. Can’t be trusted

Mike Evans (hamstring) was limited in Wednesday's practice.

Coach Bruce Arians said Evans looked good and ran well. Evans had a slow Week 1 that saw him catch just one pass on four targets for a seven-yard touchdown. But with Chris Godwin (concussion) in the protocol and absent Wednesday, Evans could be staring at double-digit targets against the Panthers in Week 2. He's a major rebound candidate as long as his hamstring is good.

Sep 16, 2020, 4:59 PM ET

Bucs head coach Bruce Arians said the team was "careful how many times" WR Mike Evans (hamstring) ran downfield routes in Week 1 against the Saints. 

Evans played 93 percent of the Bucs' Week 1 snaps, seeing four targets from Tom Brady. He had one catch: a seven-yard touchdown late in the fourth quarter. Arians this week said he "feels bad" when Evans doesn't get to double digit targets. With progress with his injured hamstring, Evans could soon be used once again as a dominant downfield threat for Brady. Tampa plays Carolina in Week 2. The Panthers pressured Derek Carr on just 10 percent of his drop backs last week; Brady could have plenty of time to let downfield routes to develop against Carolina's leaky secondary. 

Sep 17, 2020, 10:26 AM ET

Mike Evans believes he is "over the hump" with his hamstring injury. 

That's with his "hamstring and soft tissue injuries." Evans said he thought there was only a 25 percent chance he would play in Week 1. He ultimately played 93 percent of the Bucs' snaps and avoided setbacks. Coach Bruce Arians said he "felt bad" Evans didn't see at least 10 targets (he received four). With Chris Godwin (concussion) on the wrong side of questionable to suit up against the Panthers' awful defense, we are looking at an Evans blow-up spot. 

Sep 17, 2020, 1:50 PM ET

Mike Evans (hamstring) will play in Week 2 against the Panthers.

Evans was a full participant in Friday's practice — the first time he's practiced in full in the last two weeks — and removed from the team's injury report. Unlike his matchup opposite Marshon Lattimore in Week 1, Evans has elite upside against the Panthers given Chris Godwin's (concussion, doubtful) pending absence. Evans should be started everywhere as a strong WR1 across from Scotty Miller.

SOURCE: Adam Caplan on Twitter

Sep 18, 2020, 2:53 PM ET

Mike Evans caught 7-of-10 targets for 104 yards and a touchdown in the Bucs' Week 2 win over the Panthers.

The squeaky wheel narrative hit almost immediately, as Evans was a featured player for the Bucs in the first half. He was found for a long 50-yard reception down the seam, and the bullied a much smaller Donte Jackson for a "contested" catch score. Evans' presence was felt less in the second half, but the entire Bucs offense struggled in the final two quarters until Leonard Fournette closed the game with a 46-yard run for six points. Evans should be in your starting lineup again next week against the Broncos.

- Rotoworld

Mike Evans caught two touchdowns in the Bucs' Week 3 win over the Broncos.

Evans scored on a pair of goal-line passes from Tom Brady in the first half. They were his only catches of the day. Evans was targeted only four times, though the Bucs' three-score second half lead played a role in that. Evans is now up to four touchdowns through the first three weeks. 

Sep 27, 2020, 7:56 PM ET

Mike Evans (leg) went to the locker room in the first quarter of Week 4 against the Chargers.

Evans was already cooking (3-47-0) on 1.5 drives, but his return is in question after being awkwardly tackled after the catch. His leg was caught underneath him, causing him to limp to the bench and then the locker room. It could be ankle, knee, or leg injury. With Chris Godwin (hamstring) out, Tom Brady will need to resurrect Rob Gronkowski back to life. Scotty Miller and Justin Watson are the top receivers left.

Oct 4, 2020, 1:25 PM ET

Mike Evans (leg) returned to Week 4 against the Chargers.

Evans went to the locker room after being tackled awkwardly in the first quarter, but he only missed a drive or two before he returned. He was on fire early in the game and finds himself down two touchdowns. Evans should have a nice box score if he's healthy.

Oct 4, 2020, 2:09 PM ET

Mike Evans caught 7-of-8 targets for 122 yards and a touchdown in the Bucs' Week 4 win over the Chargers.

Evans was peppered all game long with Chris Godwin sidelined and O.J. Howard leaving early. He was extremely effective, hauling in a couple of his signature over-the-shoulder grabs for big plays. The story moving forward will be Evans' ankle, however. Ankle sprains tend to get worse once a player stops moving, and the Bucs play in Chicago on Thursday Night Football this week. It's possible that he misses practices leading up to that difficult road contest. If he's healthy, Evans will be a fantasy WR1 with the Tampa target tree dwindling. 

- Rotoworld

All I have seen is that he is a true game time decision.  I.E., pre game workout is essential for him to be cleared to play.

I'm going to probably fire up Brate and Miller in a couple leagues tonight, with some kind of confidence. But I'd sure like to know what I'm doing with Evans.

If he's hurt badly enough that the decision is coming down to pre-game warm-ups I just can't roll with him. Good luck.

If he's hurt badly enough that the decision is coming down to pre-game warm-ups I just can't roll with him. Good luck.
this is kind of how I'm leaning as well (can swap out for Lamb or Gibson at flex). Also, Chicago has been pretty good against WR's this season (IIRC) and without Godwin, they'll be able to key in on Evans, assuming he plays. 

He was only a game time decision because it is a short week. They just needed to see how he looked/felt on gameday. There are no reports of any setbacks this week and he balled out a few days ago. Firing up with confidence. *ducks flying shoes*

Mike Evans caught 5-of-9 targets for 41 yards and a touchdown in the Bucs' Week 5 loss to the Bears. 

Essentially the Bucs' goal-line back so far this season, Evans' score was a two-yard grab in the first quarter. With Chris Godwin and Justin Watson both out, Evans did not have a great night as he gutted through his ankle injury. He appeared hobbled on the game's opening drive but never checked out. Evans drew an offensive pass interference penalty after trucking into somebody in the open field. Even as he plays hurt, Evans has finished above 100 yards twice and under five twice. He's going to see a lot of Jaire Alexander in Week 6 against the Packers, keeping him on the WR1/2 borderline. 

- Rotoworld

Mike Evans (ankle) did not participate in Wednesday's practice. 

This is nothing new for Evans during the 2020 season, as he missed last Tuesday's practice ahead of Thursday's game, but still ended up playing and seeing nine targets. Evans has recorded six touchdowns on just 22 receptions this season, one of the more ridiculous stats through five weeks. It would be a shock if he does not play against the Packers in Week 6.

Oct 14, 2020, 7:10 PM ET

Mike Evans (ankle) returned to Bucs practice Thursday, getting in a "limited" session. 

Despite the limited practice reps, Evans himself has already said he has not suffered a setback, and is not in danger of missing Sunday's showdown with Jaire Alexander and the Packers. Serving as a power forward/goal-line back in the Bucs' inconsistent passing attack, Evans red zone usage keeps him in the WR1 mix despite his tough matchup. 

Oct 15, 2020, 6:36 PM ET

Bucs WR Mike Evans (ankle) was limited in Friday's practice. 

Evans will be out there this week against the Packers. With Both Chris Godwin (hamstring) good to go, Tom Brady will finally, at long last, have his top-two weapons healthy. Brady is a top-10 fantasy option in what should be a high-scoring affair. 

RELATED: 

Tom Brady

SOURCE: Adam Caplan on Twitter 

Oct 16, 2020, 3:33 PM ET

How do Evans feel about him rest of the season? Especially with Godwin back.

Just was offered Evans if I give up McLaurin along with James Robinson. A bit much, but the negotiation is just starting.

Just was offered Evans if I give up McLaurin along with James Robinson. A bit much, but the negotiation is just starting.
I like Evans.  He has been injured for weeks though so I wonder if he will deal with this the whole season.  If so he would be TD dependent to start. 

If he gets over his injury he could be in line for a big rest of season.

I’d move McLaurin if you could. Evans is a perennial WR1 or close to it. I’d go for it definitely. It does seem like a little much, but McLaurin’s bubble is about to pop if it hasn’t  already

I’d move McLaurin if you could. Evans is a perennial WR1 or close to it. I’d go for it definitely. It does seem like a little much, but McLaurin’s bubble is about to pop if it hasn’t  already
Curious why you are down on Mclauin.  For the rest of this year I don't like Mclaurin at all since Kyle Allen hurts all fantasy options on his team.  After, this year if they get a QB I like Mclaurin.

Definitely concerned about McLaurin, but giving James Robinson as well is tough. Could replace with D. Freeman instead.

Users who are viewing this thread