What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Marquez Callaway, NO (4 Viewers)

Ah, the old "reverse jinx" method of helping a player to reach his ceiling 😁
No, I'm not superstitious and don't think that way.  It's hard to get overly excited about players who've never done it for real, but because of a personal belief they can, well, that does give hope.

FreeBaGeL said:
Fulgham at least blew up in actual NFL games. Callaway is already worth more than Fulgham and he's only done it in preseason. 

That said if we're talking ww bucks why not take a shot? Sometimes you get Victor Cruz. 
Sure. But Thielan/Cruz are outliers.

MC is a nice player to have if you got him for free. He isn't someone I'd spend a lot of capital on. I saw people blowing 75-100% of the FAAB on him in dynasty leagues. No thanks. 

getting a Marc Boerigter feeling with this kid, i.e., preseason darling, regular season flop. big flop. staying clear of that situation

getting a Marc Boerigter feeling with this kid, i.e., preseason darling, regular season flop. big flop. staying clear of that situation
Very possible.  But for week 1, unless the Green Bay DC is an inept buffoon, all eyes should be on Kamara…..which opens up opportunity for others.  And we all know Jameis likes to (chicken) wing it.

NFL Week 1 fantasy football questions and answers: 32 reporters give advice on Julio Jones, Ravens running backs, more

Excerpt:

Do you expect Marquez Callaway to dominate the target share?

Yes, I expect Callaway to be the Saints' top target -- especially until fellow WR Tre'Quan Smith is fully healed from a nagging hamstring injury that sidelined him all summer and has landed him on the IR to begin the season. Smith was originally expected to be New Orleans' No. 1 receiver while Michael Thomas was out, so he could be a factor again once healthy. But Callaway's emergence as New Orleans' WR1 this summer was no fluke. He stepped up consistently throughout every practice session, just as he did in both preseason games. -- Mike Triplett

Jameis will target him 10+ times. Even if he’s covered. What Callaway does with those targets is a different story. 

I trust Payton to scheme up some plays to get him away from Alexander. 

Sure. But Thielan/Cruz are outliers.

MC is a nice player to have if you got him for free. He isn't someone I'd spend a lot of capital on. I saw people blowing 75-100% of the FAAB on him in dynasty leagues. No thanks. 

I agree that Thielen/Cruz outcomes are rare and that's why I wouldn't trade anything of note for Callaway.  But if we're talking FAAB here then those are always going to go to long shots anyway.  Few will have the immediate opportunity for immediate returns that Callaway offers.

He could fall on his face, but he's likely to be the target leader on a Sean Payton offense catching passes from a downfield thrower that creates great fantasy stats for receivers.

Even if not sold on him long term the potential he offers for a quick flip for something actually valuable with a single good game is worth spending a lot of FAAB imo.

Jameis will target him 10+ times. Even if he’s covered. What Callaway does with those targets is a different story. 

I trust Payton to scheme up some plays to get him away from Alexander. 
Alexander is what worries me. I don't watch much GB games. Is Alexander a shadow CB or does he stay primarily on one side of the field? 

Alexander is what worries me. I don't watch much GB games. Is Alexander a shadow CB or does he stay primarily on one side of the field? 
He shadowed less last year than in his first two seasons, but he's pretty much top 3 shutdown corner.  Given the lack of other valid receiving options (besides Kamara), I would expect him to shadow.  I would call anything better than 4/60/0 a win for Calloway.  Horrible game 1 draw for the kid, but then so was the Bucs for Elliot.

I think having Smith out will hurt Callaway, since now he can easily be double covered as long as they account for Kamara.  But none of the other WR or TE are going to scare anybody.  Alexander didn't shadow much last year, but like Student said, if there's only one decent WR on the field, why not have him shadowed? 

The schedule after the Bye is a lot more favorable, so don't bail too early on this guy.  He could look good but still show bad statistics early.

I think having Smith out will hurt Callaway, since now he can easily be double covered as long as they account for Kamara.  But none of the other WR or TE are going to scare anybody.  Alexander didn't shadow much last year, but like Student said, if there's only one decent WR on the field, why not have him shadowed? 

The schedule after the Bye is a lot more favorable, so don't bail too early on this guy.  He could look good but still show bad statistics early.

Jameis Winston isn't exactly afraid of launching targets at covered players. IDK, NO has so many injuries they almost have to manufacture touches for Callaway IMO.

Marquez Callaway caught 1-of-2 targets for 14 yards in the Saints' Week 1 win over the Packers. 

Callaway's productive preseason didn't carry over into the season's opening week. With Jameis Winston throwing a mere 20 passes for 148 yards, Callaway had little chance of producing without a long touchdown. Game script went sideways in a hurry for both the Saints and Packers this week; that will make it tough to draw conclusions about pass catcher usage. Callaway should be an OK flex option in 12-team leagues next week against the Panthers.

Still think Callaway is going to be something this season. Admittedly surprised at the near-blanking, regardless of who was covering him.

I just saw the Winston box score.  For a guy to throw 5 TD passes, I would have expected a lot more than 14 of 20 for 148 yards. Hopefully Winston gets his game average up to 300 yards per game and Calloway gets his, while he's riding my bench.

I just saw the Winston box score.  For a guy to throw 5 TD passes, I would have expected a lot more than 14 of 20 for 148 yards. Hopefully Winston gets his game average up to 300 yards per game and Calloway gets his, while he's riding my bench.
Rodgers gave him a lot of short fields.

Jameis looked sharp though. I think Calloway can have some big games. But Winston was spreading it around. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It was definitely not a typical game script. The Saints' defense and special teams were on point, and kept fields short for the offense. Sean Payton uncharacteristically remained patient with the ground game this week, too, with Kamara and Jones logging 31 carries between them (and Winston tucking it for six more). 

The Saints were running the ball really well thus the low yardage and attempts for Winston. The Saints had the ball for almost 22 minutes of the first half.

He had those two targets on their first drive and then disappeared. 
He was facing Jaire Alexander, one of the few shutdown corners in the game. No need for Winston to play with fire forcing throws to Callaway.

next 3 weeks:

Sep 19 - @Panthers Sun 1:00 pm

Sep 26 - @Patriots Sun 1:00 pm

Oct 3 - Giants Sun 1:00 pm

Much friendlier outing in Week 2, Week 3 is Belichek but no Gilmore, and Week 4 is a bend but don't break Giants squad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Winston completed passes to 8 different receivers, which is something Payton likes to see in his offenses.

Sunday just wasn't Callaway's day. I don't know if Alexander was always on Callaway, but from what I've been able to tell ... Callaway was almost always bracketed/doubled.

The Saints have signed Kenny Stills this week, and he should end up seeing the field in short order. That might help open up things for Callaway. Not dumping just yet.

I don’t think last week showed us much between Alexander and the bizarre game script. Someone offered me Christian Kirk for him in dyno and I think I’m holding (in fairness that team is stacked and neither would likely ever start so I’m playing for upside)

❤️  says that 5 TDs by Winston and no production equals What the Bleep?!

:grad:  says that it's early and he's a great buy low this week if you're inclined to gamble. 

Manage him in a few leagues, want to see a little more than a 100 yd 5 TD performance by his QB, it was a silly skewed stat line. What would have happened had he caught 2-3 TDs in this unlikely to repeat performance, many would scream to sell high. I would relax a bit here, HoF QB transition, going to be an up n down season I would think. 

Ministry of Pain said:
❤️  says that 5 TDs by Winston and no production equals What the Bleep?!

:grad:  says that it's early and he's a great buy low this week if you're inclined to gamble. 

Manage him in a few leagues, want to see a little more than a 100 yd 5 TD performance by his QB, it was a silly skewed stat line. What would have happened had he caught 2-3 TDs in this unlikely to repeat performance, many would scream to sell high. I would relax a bit here, HoF QB transition, going to be an up n down season I would think. 

Are you e-mailing him instructions or do you catch him via cell?  Is he a good employee?

Glad I did not start him today. Went with Marvin Jones instead (which I know everyone wanted to know :P  ). 

He is unstartable until he does anything

Users who are viewing this thread