What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty: WR Tylan Wallace, Baltimore Ravens (here come ~40 targets) (1 Viewer)

NBC SportsEDGE - Day 3 Draft Recap - Excerpt

The Ravens Continue to Spread Their Wings

"Baltimore opened Day 3 by drafting Tylan Wallace out of Oklahoma State. Wallace on his own isn’t a player most folks will or even should rush out to draft (5’11”, 194 pounds, 4.55s 40-yard dash). But how he wins, combined with the Ravens’ first-round pick in Rashod Bateman, is noteworthy:

https://twitter.com/MattHarmon_BYB/status/1388544314758754305

Baltimore added two receivers that excelled in the short and intermediate areas of the field. Harmon noted the success of both Wallace and Bateman on the Out, Dig, and Curl routes. Coincidentally, those are the routes that generated the least efficiency from their receivers last season.

Route Type   EPA per Target

Out, Dig, Curl - 0.100

Screen, Slant, Flat - 0.120

Post, Corner, Nine - 0.720

Look, I get it. The Ravens have been 32nd in neutral passing rate two years straight. It took Marquise Brown ascending to a 34.0% target share from Weeks 12-17 before we even started seeing him crack the Top 24 consistently. But adding receivers like Bateman in the first round and Wallace later should be a signal of some change in their offense. Not a ‘2020 Josh Allen’ seismic shift, but one where Jackson is given the chance to work more in the pocket. That’s where a guy like Wallace can shine."

Last edited by a moderator:
Look, I get it. The Ravens have been 32nd in neutral passing rate two years straight. It took Marquise Brown ascending to a 34.0% target share from Weeks 12-17 before we even started seeing him crack the Top 24 consistently. But adding receivers like Bateman in the first round and Wallace later should be a signal of some change in their offense. Not a ‘2020 Josh Allen’ seismic shift, but one where Jackson is given the chance to work more in the pocket. That’s where a guy like Wallace can shine."
You mean like in 2019 when they took Marquise Brown in the 1st and Miles Boykin in the 3rd?

Yeah, I don't think they're fundamentally changing. They might pass the ball five more times or so a game, but what's that going to mean? In addition to the dedication to running the ball, you now have Bateman and Wallace and Brown and Andrews. 

No thanks. 

Hankmoody said:
You mean like in 2019 when they took Marquise Brown in the 1st and Miles Boykin in the 3rd?
Pretty simple reading the article that the routes/parts of the field those two excel at are the parts of the field Baltimore sucked at. It may point to addressing a hole in the offense. It may signal nothing. I'm simply connecting the dots, it's no different when a line is bad at run-blocking they get a lineman who excelled at run-blocking in college.

Pretty simple reading the article that the routes/parts of the field those two excel at are the parts of the field Baltimore sucked at. It may point to addressing a hole in the offense. It may signal nothing. I'm simply connecting the dots, it's no different when a line is bad at run-blocking they get a lineman who excelled at run-blocking in college.
And if that team had just gotten done adding an identical profile lineman two years before and did nothing to change their profile then it would indeed be no different - that the drafting of X player with X profile doesn't necessarily clue anything about how the team intends to run their profile for the next two seasons.  All receivers in the draft excel at what BAL passing game sucks at, because the entire passing game sucks.  Ranked 32 of 32 is easy math.

The only thing that's going to change the play calling is the play callers. 

And if that team had just gotten done adding an identical profile lineman two years before and did nothing to change their profile then it would indeed be no different - that the drafting of X player with X profile doesn't necessarily clue anything about how the team intends to run their profile for the next two seasons.  All receivers in the draft excel at what BAL passing game sucks at, because the entire passing game sucks.  Ranked 32 of 32 is easy math.

The only thing that's going to change the play calling is the play callers. 
I don't think Boykin was a similar profile at all; Bateman is probably the most complete receiver in terms or talent the team has had in awhile, and Wallace's tape certainly gives hope he can have more of an impact than Boykin. Hollywood has notable flaws in his game that need to be ironed out, and Boykin just can't put it together. I'm getting off-topic because I'm speaking about players other than Wallace now, but if the receiver is talented enough he changes what the offense dictates (see Justin Jefferson).

Adding more talent at a position of weakness is never bad unless the talent itself is bad or the O stagnates/mismanages the talent. We saw 2 years ago this offense with a good O-line and middling WRs go Tecmo Bowl on the NFL before regressing to the mean the following year when the WRs didn't evolve and the O-line got much worse. To say the passing O will never get better is a pretty bold statement.

I don't think Boykin was a similar profile at all; Bateman is probably the most complete receiver in terms or talent the team has had in awhile, and Wallace's tape certainly gives hope he can have more of an impact than Boykin. Hollywood has notable flaws in his game that need to be ironed out, and Boykin just can't put it together. I'm getting off-topic because I'm speaking about players other than Wallace now, but if the receiver is talented enough he changes what the offense dictates (see Justin Jefferson).

Adding more talent at a position of weakness is never bad unless the talent itself is bad or the O stagnates/mismanages the talent. We saw 2 years ago this offense with a good O-line and middling WRs go Tecmo Bowl on the NFL before regressing to the mean the following year when the WRs didn't evolve and the O-line got much worse. To say the passing O will never get better is a pretty bold statement.
I think you're wildly overestimating a chance at a change in play calling and the increase in receiver talent. There's probably slight chance play calling changes enough this year to make Bateman and Wallace fantasy relevant. Wallace is not a burner after knee surgery and has trouble separating. Perhaps he gets his quickness back, but does that sound like the kind of guy Lamar Jackson is going to be throwing to often? A contested catch guy at 5'11" who got taken later in the draft?

He'll be lucky if he sees the field, really, never mind gets volume in this offense. Harbaugh at the end of last year said he was still going to run despite January losses. They've got Dobbins and Edwards and Hill still. Where do you think their offensive bread is buttered with Jackson?

Throwing outside the numbers? 

No way. 

I think you're wildly overestimating a chance at a change in play calling and the increase in receiver talent. There's probably slight chance play calling changes enough this year to make Bateman and Wallace fantasy relevant. Wallace is not a burner after knee surgery and has trouble separating. Perhaps he gets his quickness back, but does that sound like the kind of guy Lamar Jackson is going to be throwing to often? A contested catch guy at 5'11" who got taken later in the draft?

He'll be lucky if he sees the field, really, never mind gets volume in this offense. Harbaugh at the end of last year said he was still going to run despite January losses. They've got Dobbins and Edwards and Hill still. Where do you think their offensive bread is buttered with Jackson?

Throwing outside the numbers? 

No way. 
I don't have any dog in this fight, but am considering Wallace with a late pick in rookie draft.

I believe there are elements of truth in what both sides are saying here.  Ravens have not been a high volume passing attack, but Frankman has point that the 2021 WRs drafted do seem to be more skilled at middle-of-the-field routes and contested catches than either Hollywood or Boykin could hope to be.  I won't share anything behind the paywall, but a quick ReceptionPerception blurb here https://twitter.com/MattHarmon_BYB/status/1388544314758754305 

Now... do I have any clue how Andrews, Bateman, and Wallace all eat in the center short-to-intermediate portion of the field?  No.  But at least now the Ravens have multiple options rather than the defense entirely keying on Andrews in the middle of the field.  Hollywood and Bateman seem to be able to go deep and all of Andrews, Bateman, Wallace would seem to be able to be intermediate middle of the field types.  That's not proof the offense will pass more, but at a late enough round, I'm willing to buy to find out if simply having more variety of which receiver runs to where on the field makes defenses less able to key on the portions of the Raven's passing game they do run

edit: apologies, looks like Frankman posted the exact same link earlier

Hankmoody said:
And then Duvernay in the 3rd round of the 2020 draft.  I'd liked him prior to the draft and was disappointed with the landing sport.  Keeping half an eye open but that has gotten so crowded and the pie was never big to begin with...

Users who are viewing this thread