What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Kayshon Boutte, NE (2 Viewers)

The guy from the Athletic takes a guess:

In: JuJu Smith-Schuster, DeVante Parker, Kendrick Bourne, Tyquan Thornton, Demario Douglas, Kayshon Boutte

Out: Tre Nixon, Thyrick Pitts, Raleigh Webb

This is probably where the toughest decision lies in the Patriots’ roster construction. It essentially comes down to this: Do you keep six wide receivers at the expense of depth on the offensive line? Or do you cut either Bourne or Boutte?

For this projection, I’m taking all six wide receivers. I still think Bourne can make plays if given the opportunity, and I don’t think you want to cut Boutte, who has gotten better with each practice.

We haven’t even mentioned Douglas, the No. 210 pick in the NFL Draft, who already feels like a roster lock. Belichick didn’t play Douglas much Thursday night, as he got the treatment most starters on offense got.

I'm not sure Demario Douglas is a lock to make the roster. According to PFF, he played late with the ones rather than starting the game, and they surmised that it meant something not quite that great. Bourne was the third receiver in all three receiver sets the first two drives, and then Douglas came in on the third drive.

Per PFF:
  • Demario Douglas has received a lot of hype recently but didn’t play the first two drives.
  • Rhamondre Stevenson and two-fifths of the offensive line left after those drives, but several starters kept playing.
  • Douglas started mixing in the third drive with Mac Jones still playing. He received three snaps on that drive, and Kayshon Boutte played one snap.

I'm not sure Demario Douglas is a lock to make the roster. According to PFF, he played late with the ones rather than starting the game, and they surmised that it meant something not quite that great. Bourne was the third receiver in all three receiver sets the first two drives, and then Douglas came in on the third drive.

Per PFF:
  • Demario Douglas has received a lot of hype recently but didn’t play the first two drives.
  • Rhamondre Stevenson and two-fifths of the offensive line left after those drives, but several starters kept playing.
  • Douglas started mixing in the third drive with Mac Jones still playing. He received three snaps on that drive, and Kayshon Boutte played one snap.

If he doesn't it would be a real surprise...the expectation is that not only will he make the team but to expect him to be involved from the get-go...that being said unless there is a trade or IR visit there could be a surprise...I'm really hoping that this isn't the surprise because they need what he may be able to do.

Douglas played two snaps against GB and had 2 receptions. He’s a lock at this point. Thompson is the one that has been the least productive and might get IR consideration if they want to keep giving him more opportunities down the road. I still think Borne is the most athletic option and could actually perform as a WR1 if they target him enough. He makes plays and turns average gains into chunk plays. Boutte is the one that have to figure out what to do with, and they may have to keep him on the roster if they thing he would be poached. Even if they were able to get him on the practice squad, another team could still sign him.

NFL Rookie Watch
Kayshon Boutte is reportedly thought to have the potential to be the “steal of the draft” by Ryan Clark (former NFL safety).Many NFL scouts reportedly believed Boutte had “Top-10 pick potential” early in his career at LSU.Boutte is currently the ONLY Patriot to have a receiving TD so far this preseason.Boutte also has the furthest reception by any Patriot so far this preseason (42 yards).The Patriots rookie WR is showing major PROMISE

Oh, I guess. I said "since Troy Brown and then Randy Moss." Then I said that "those are the only two of note in about thirty-five years." Yeah, I'm probably off by five years.

But Stanley Morgan and Fryar were, respectively, the seventies and early-to-mid eighties, and the mid-eighties when they were at their peak. Morgan retired in 1990 and and Fryar in 2000 after he bounced around a bunch. But both guys were recipients of Steve Grogan throws. Hell, they wore the throwbacks before they were throwbacks.

I guess strictly speaking, thirty-five is too long. But it's close.
I love any Irving Fryar reference. Didn’t his pregnant wife stab him with a knife?

Didn’t his pregnant wife stab him with a knife?
Yes. Allegedly he hit her and she retaliated by stabbing his hand right before the AFC championship game. He was sent home and missed the game which the Pats won anyway. They were manhandled in the superbowl by the Bears.

It's hard to envision Thornton being a productive NFL player. Doesn't help that he's been made of glass early in his career either. I know it's natural to want the shiny new unknown over the existing so far disappointment, but mark me down as a Boutte supporter.

It's hard to envision Thornton being a productive NFL player. Doesn't help that he's been made of glass early in his career either. I know it's natural to want the shiny new unknown over the existing so far disappointment, but mark me down as a Boutte supporter.

Yup...the issue is cutting bait on a 2nd rounder after one season...my guess Thornton lands on some type of IR to start the season and they figure it out from there...the other x-factor is Cunningham...hopefully they are able to keep him as well...he is far from a definite, but I would love to see him on the team for the year and see how he develops.

I know it's childish, not at all related to football and only, like, four people at most will even get this but I need to know if I'm the only one who thinks of this every time I see this thread on the first page.

Every, single time.
I love that movies.

No, I really want Boutte to kill it, because I already have the song and dance ready every time he scores for my team.
Love it!

Same church, different pew.

FWIW, beat writer Greg Bedard (who emphasizes the negative) was on the radio today and has not been impressed with Boutte so far. He feels his routes aren’t crisp, he doesn’t get much separation, and he doesn’t have a lot of giddy up. Said his TD the other night was a result of terrible angles by the defense. Bedard thinks Boutte is far from a lock to make the roster. He said he has decent hands and can make some tough catches, but he doesn’t really have a skill set that NE doesn’t have with their other mediocre receivers. He doesn’t see him as an upgrade and thinks he will struggle to get open. But Bedard likely his a minority opinion.

I am trying to keep in mind that he's still just a late round WR.

Showed out at LSU, but everyone passed on him after a down year.

If he barely makes the team, is he worth a roster spot? I play in deeeep leagues, but I don't think so.

I am trying to keep in mind that he's still just a late round WR.

Showed out at LSU, but everyone passed on him after a down year.

If he barely makes the team, is he worth a roster spot? I play in deeeep leagues, but I don't think so.
There are a lot of things that stack against him.
-Down last year of college.
-Poor testing indicating he may not be the same player after the ankle injury.
-Not known as a route technician, so does he have enough other attributes to make an impact?
-Late round pick.
-New England‘s track record with drafting and developing receivers (no real need to discuss further imo)
-New England’s theory seems to be to play the guys that do things the closest to how they want things done versus playing the guy with more talent. Also not looking to start a tangent on this, but Bourne last year would be a good example. They seem to prefer boring vets especially at the receiver position who will be consistent in approach versus a playmaker who may be more dynamic. Soft theory there but I think it is at least partially true.

Dynasty he is worth a flyer if rosters are of medium to large size. If he makes the team monitor his snap counts to see if they have interest in getting him on the field. If his play time doesn’t increase over the likes of Devante Parker and crew then he can be an easy drop.

FWIW, beat writer Greg Bedard (who emphasizes the negative) was on the radio today and has not been impressed with Boutte so far. He feels his routes aren’t crisp, he doesn’t get much separation, and he doesn’t have a lot of giddy up. Said his TD the other night was a result of terrible angles by the defense. Bedard thinks Boutte is far from a lock to make the roster. He said he has decent hands and can make some tough catches, but he doesn’t really have a skill set that NE doesn’t have with their other mediocre receivers. He doesn’t see him as an upgrade and thinks he will struggle to get open. But Bedard likely his a minority opinion.

Bedard does a great job...as far as x's and 0's he is one of the better ones around...not sure if there is anyone locally that studies more film...he is very tough to impress and can be a half-glass-empty guy but whether you agree or disagree with him he absolutely backs everything up with data...his Boston Sports Journal is an excellent investment if you are a Boston sports fan.

Last edited:
Giardi:

On my last roster projection, I did not have Boutte making the 53. If he continues to improve as he did between week 1 and week 2 of the preseason, I won't be able to leave him off again. He looked like a different receiver than the one I watched against Houston. He was decisive and played in a higher gear. Could the Patriots have found not one, but two rookie wide recievers to make this year's team? That would be the upset of the century - considering their past history at the position - but as every day goes by, it feels like we're getting closer to meeting that reality.

Kayshon Boutte saw the second-most snaps (55) of any Patriots receiver in the team’s Week 1 loss to the Eagles.
Boutte, who played in place of DeVante Parker (knee), failed to haul in any of his four targets, but it was a surprisingly busy day for the rookie sixth-round pick. His 43 routes were also good for the second-most on the team, and 16 more than both JuJu Smith-Schuster and Demario Douglas saw. Boutte isn’t on the fantasy radar at this time, but he’s an interesting player to watch. He was once viewed as a potential first-round receiver after breaking out as a true freshman at LSU in 2020, but saw injuries derail a once promising career. A solid preseason earned Boutte a spot on the 53-man roster, and significant snaps in his Week 1 debut.

Mental midget diva, just like college. Pats could have won if this guy had better field awareness. First game, yes, but just more of the same for anyone who watched him in college. He might turn it around, but my guess is he ends up like one of those players that bounces around the league on talent alone but just never sticks, or produces. It's rare something clicks for players to turn it around at this stage in the game. Williams is the much more intriguing rookie on this team to me.

Mental midget diva, just like college. Pats could have won if this guy had better field awareness. First game, yes, but just more of the same for anyone who watched him in college. He might turn it around, but my guess is he ends up like one of those players that bounces around the league on talent alone but just never sticks, or produces. It's rare something clicks for players to turn it around at this stage in the game. Williams is the much more intriguing rookie on this team to me.
Williams??

I understand your concerns, but I think it is far too early to write off Boutte. I think Boutte handled the situation well with his post-game comments. It would have been nice to see him drag his toe inbounds to extend the game, but the fact that the team had the confidence to go to him in that situation speaks of what he has shown in practice, and he did well to get open. More opportunities will come.

I understand your concerns, but I think it is far too early to write off Boutte

After the summer he had, where he looked OK, made the team, I decided to taxi stash for a year. Cause really, he didn't do much more than make a bad WR room.

He's getting a year on the taxi, and if I am not hearing he's blowing doors off next summer, I'll move on. He gets the one year stash, over other long shot guys, because of that flash he showed at LSU. But at the end of it all, he's a 6th round WR who was last man to make the team.

I’m a bit concerned about getting behind a Pats rookie WR, particularly in redraft. There was a bit of buzz around Thornton last year but he never got much playing time. Truth be told, the Pats haven’t had much success in cultivating WRs.

I’m a bit concerned about getting behind a Pats rookie WR, particularly in redraft. There was a bit of buzz around Thornton last year but he never got much playing time. Truth be told, the Pats haven’t had much success in cultivating WRs.
From an overall WR talent standpoint I feel as though Thornton and Boutte could easily have their draft capital swapped. I like Boutte more and really hope he can be a thing while still in a Patriots uniform. The number of snaps is encouraging, just needs to execute on the fundamentals better (drag those toes). I have little doubt about the ability, it's about between the ears that's in question. He's nothing more than a taxi squad guy in dynasty though, need to see production before getting excited in redraft.

I know it's childish, not at all related to football and only, like, four people at most will even get this but I need to know if I'm the only one who thinks of this every time I see this thread on the first page.

Every, single time.
I love that movies.

No, I really want Boutte to kill it, because I already have the song and dance ready every time he scores for my team.
My suggestion
Better:

Williams??

I understand your concerns, but I think it is far too early to write off Boutte. I think Boutte handled the situation well with his post-game comments. It would have been nice to see him drag his toe inbounds to extend the game, but the fact that the team had the confidence to go to him in that situation speaks of what he has shown in practice, and he did well to get open. More opportunities will come.
Sorry, not sure why I typed that. Demario Douglas is who I was referring to. He's looked electric.

Probably too early to write off someone with such elite talent like Boutte, but if you've followed his career at all stupidity and diva behavior are par for the course. Maybe he puts it together, but he's been this way since he went to college as a top recruit. Problem is, there are a lot of diva WRs, but he doesn't back it up on the field. His talent will keep him in the league for years, but I highly doubt he ever becomes anything special or lasts with the Patriots more than a year.

I actually like him and think he could become a higher target option in the short to intermediate game for the Patriots. They have no reason not to start playing their young guys at this point.

recall there was some subtle chatter pre-draft that his slow return was unrelated to injury.
That was a sex related thing with a recruiter.
He initially said he was returning to school then swiftly declared for the draft a week or so later with no explanation.
Suggestion was that they told him to just go declare as he probably wouldn't be playing next year anyway after all that. That's alleged BTW.

As I said, a dunce either way if this latest stuff is true.

recall there was some subtle chatter pre-draft that his slow return was unrelated to injury.
That was a sex related thing with a recruiter.
He initially said he was returning to school then swiftly declared for the draft a week or so later with no explanation.
Suggestion was that they told him to just go declare as he probably wouldn't be playing next year anyway after all that. That's alleged BTW.

As I said, a dunce either way if this latest stuff is true.
Yeah, I remember that - an employee of LSU, allegedly. And kinda seedy situation IIRC.

But this allegation is next-level. I doubt he's a Patriot next year. In fact, if true I kinda doubt he's breathing free air next year.

Text of the tweet:
Louisiana State Police are investigating a fraudulent online gambling account alleged to have been used by former LSU wide receiver Kayshon Boutte bet close to 9,000 times from 4/22 to 5/23, 17 of those bets were on NCAA football games, with at least six on LSU football.

9000 bets is quite a bit in 13 months, that is over 30 a day. Betting on your own team in games you are playing is a pretty big no no. Can people share gambling accounts like they share Netflix accounts?

I saw on another site that he made $500k on these bets. If his NFL career doesn't pan out he could always start a 1-900 number for gambling picks (not sure if that is still a thing)

Text of the tweet:
Louisiana State Police are investigating a fraudulent online gambling account alleged to have been used by former LSU wide receiver Kayshon Boutte bet close to 9,000 times from 4/22 to 5/23, 17 of those bets were on NCAA football games, with at least six on LSU football.

9000 bets is quite a bit in 13 months, that is over 30 a day. Betting on your own team in games you are playing is a pretty big no no. Can people share gambling accounts like they share Netflix accounts?

I saw on another site that he made $500k on these bets. If his NFL career doesn't pan out he could always start a 1-900 number for gambling picks (not sure if that is still a thing)
Did he borrow money? I doubt his rookie contract was very much

Users who are viewing this thread