What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Kayshon Boutte, NE (2 Viewers)

Just caught up on this dude’s combine results. I know athleticism isn’t everything, but man, some very disappointing numbers. The 29 inch vertical is just preposterously bad. His measurables were good, but a 4.5 40 is not as quick as I would’ve hoped. And he just sort of gave up on the second attempt at the 40.

Starting to wonder if he’s just not as explosives he was his freshman year.

Agility drills were decent I guess, but man… Very disappointing.

My love affair with Keyshawn Boutte may be fading a bit.
His combine was boutee. He's a day 3 guy in my eyes.

I’m all out on this dude and the league probably relegates him to day 3. My guess is he’s really been enjoying himself off the field and isn’t dedicated to football. And hey, I do the exact same thing so no judgement, but I sure won’t be drafting him anywhere.

LSU fan here. Boutte has not been the same since his injury. Pre-injury he was a top top WR. Since his injury he has not been close to the same plus he had a good bit of drops. He didn't seem to be a big Daniels (QB) guy but he just didn't get the same seperation as pre-injury.
:2cents:

LSU fan here. Boutte has not been the same since his injury. Pre-injury he was a top top WR. Since his injury he has not been close to the same plus he had a good bit of drops. He didn't seem to be a big Daniels (QB) guy but he just didn't get the same seperation as pre-injury.
Thanks for the insight. Many, myself included, have expected Boutte would eventually return to his freshman form. There was a stretch when he looked like the best young WR in college football.

I heard the injury was a major cause for his poor attitude and he was "blaming" the Team physician / Medical staff (Rumor brief discussion from PodCast RotoHeat). But to bomb the testing was a poor showing 100% on him. I was thinking he needed the extra time to recover, but it is more like he needs time to grow up & dedicate himself to his potential and that did not happen. Pro-Day? It will really have to explode to make up for this :poop:

I know he bombed the combine, but this is the type of talent I will take later in my draft if he falls, as one of my last WRs. If he fails, I drop him. If he hits, I trade high.

Thanks for the insight. Many, myself included, have expected Boutte would eventually return to his freshman form. There was a stretch when he looked like the best young WR in college football.
This.

More often than not, guys get back to where they were.
And maybe that he hasn't is an indictment of his commitment to football.

But I sure had hopes. Loved his tape from 2 years ago.

Excerpt:

According to The Athletic’s Brody Miller, Boutte’s ankle didn’t heal properly. He was still in a walking boot due to a second surgery when spring practice rolled around last year.

Brian Kelly offered up a public call-out to get Boutte more engaged throughout his recovery. By all accounts, Boutte’s response throughout the spring was positive, and he entered 2023 as a preseason All-American.

On the field, struggles ensued. Boutte didn’t look as explosive as he had in the past and was in and out of the lineup as injuries lingered.

But in the locker room, according to Kelly, Boutte became one of the teams’ critical voices.

Despite the outside noise and less production, he hung in there and emerged as a leader. So much so that Kelly consistently praised Boutte’s leadership abilities, joking that Boutte could finish his speeches.
The story from the season doesn’t fit the narrative you’d see on Twitter now.

“Boutte doesn’t care.”

That’s the conclusion many are jumping to.

I don’t claim to know the ins and outs of Boutte’s mindset, but neither do the ones behind those tweets. It’s possible that Boutte’s physical abilities, once some of the best in the sport, are now limited by that awry ankle recovery.

Last fall, Boutte became a father — the reason for his absence against New Mexico.

Between that and the injury, Boutte’s had a lot going on the last year. It’s why we can’t sit here and claim to know exactly what happened and why some of the social media chatter is frustrating.

Players struggle to get back to full strength after injuries all the time, especially ones that don’t heal properly. But once Boutte returned in the fall, there was plenty of optimism.
When he impressed in the SEC title against Georgiaand shortly after announced his plan to return to LSU, that optimism grew. Boutte looked healthy again.
Remember this play? Boutte made several guys on the sports best defense miss enroute to the end zone. It was the Boutte fans grew familiar with over his first couple of years in Baton Rouge.

Kayshon Boutte makes it look easy against Georgia's defense and it's all tied up in the SEC Championship

Boutte’s stock isn’t going to recover before the draft. The 2022 results, the injury and the combine performance are all taking their toll.

I don’t know where Boutte will get drafted. By this week, there should be a better idea about how NFL teams feel about him.

But right now, Boutte doesn’t look like the player he was in 2021.

Excerpt:

According to The Athletic’s Brody Miller, Boutte’s ankle didn’t heal properly. He was still in a walking boot due to a second surgery when spring practice rolled around last year.

Brian Kelly offered up a public call-out to get Boutte more engaged throughout his recovery. By all accounts, Boutte’s response throughout the spring was positive, and he entered 2023 as a preseason All-American.

On the field, struggles ensued. Boutte didn’t look as explosive as he had in the past and was in and out of the lineup as injuries lingered.

But in the locker room, according to Kelly, Boutte became one of the teams’ critical voices.

Despite the outside noise and less production, he hung in there and emerged as a leader. So much so that Kelly consistently praised Boutte’s leadership abilities, joking that Boutte could finish his speeches.

“Boutte doesn’t care.”

I don’t claim to know the ins and outs of Boutte’s mindset, but neither do the ones behind those tweets. It’s possible that Boutte’s physical abilities, once some of the best in the sport, are now limited by that awry ankle recovery.

Last fall, Boutte became a father — the reason for his absence against New Mexico.

Between that and the injury, Boutte’s had a lot going on the last year. It’s why we can’t sit here and claim to know exactly what happened and why some of the social media chatter is frustrating.

Players struggle to get back to full strength after injuries all the time, especially ones that don’t heal properly. But once Boutte returned in the fall, there was plenty of optimism.
When he impressed in the SEC title against Georgiaand shortly after announced his plan to return to LSU, that optimism grew. Boutte looked healthy again.
Remember this play? Boutte made several guys on the sports best defense miss enroute to the end zone. It was the Boutte fans grew familiar with over his first couple of years in Baton Rouge.

Kayshon Boutte makes it look easy against Georgia's defense and it's all tied up in the SEC Championship

Boutte’s stock isn’t going to recover before the draft. The 2022 results, the injury and the combine performance are all taking their toll.

I don’t know where Boutte will get drafted. By this week, there should be a better idea about how NFL teams feel about him.

Just when I thought I was out…

Excerpt:

“Boutte doesn’t care.”

Just when I thought I was out…
I still might be out. It’s a nice story, and I hope he grows & matures, and is the best father ever. But I don’t get fantasy points for him being a good father.

It's clips like this that keep us hanging on.

I still might be out. It’s a nice story, and I hope he grows & matures, and is the best father ever. But I don’t get fantasy points for him being a good father.
Very true, but it hopefully demonstrates some maturity, and maturity can translate to fantasy points.

I saw the way George Pickens attacked his rehab, and it impressed me. He was a player with some maturity concerns, and his dedication to his rehab spoke volumes. I have no idea how Boutte went about his rehab, and every injury is different, but I am looking for a reason to either keep Boutte in my upper echelon of rookie WRs or to move him down, and reports of maturity and leadership point in the right direction, but only if he can regain his physical abilities. NFL Teams will undoubtedly look carefully into Boutte's medical history and prognosis for return to pre-injury form. Accordingly, draft capital will speak volumes about his projected future.

but only if he can regain his physical abilities. NFL Teams
That’s seeming like a huge “but” lately. It will be interesting to see if he hosts a pro day, and if so, if he improves substantially from his combine numbers.
I like "huge buts", and I cannot lie. :laugh:

No doubt Boutte will be looking to improve in his Pro Day workout. I have to wonder why nobody advised him not to participate in certain events at the Combine. His forty was fine. Had he never even attempted the other events in his preparation?

That’s seeming like a huge “but” lately. It will be interesting to see if he hosts a pro day, and if so, if he improves substantially from his combine numbers.

No doubt Boutte will be looking to improve in his Pro Day workout. I have to wonder why nobody advised him not to participate in certain events at the Combine. His forty was fine. Had he never even attempted the other events in his preparation?
So we need to wait until March 29 for the LSU Pro-day?
Hope he gets a good "advisor / coach / Trainer" on his side to make improvements and concerted effort at showing his skills.

Hope he gets a good "advisor / coach / Trainer" on his side to make improvements and concerted effort at showing his skills.
At this point, I fear it is more physical than mental.

At this point, I fear it is more physical than mental.
It would seem so, although we still see flashes of his old self, such as in that clip against Georgia, giving us a bit of hope to hang onto.

As to @Birdie048 's question of whether we need to wait, I am moving Boutte down considerably on my board (I probably overrated him based on potential), but, considering my fantasy drafts are not until after the NFL Draft, in a sense, yes, we just have to wait and see. I think the medical evaluations may be at least as important as the LSU Pro Day workout results.

I think this was very revealing in that he explained some the background on what was going on in his life ..

* 10 months out from the 2 ankle surgeries
* whole new coaching staff when he returns
* not aligned with QB
*even though his combine tanked, he was confident in not repeating the effort at Pro-day
* the belief an NFL team told him he is Day 2 pick (Draft Capital will be the key here)

I think this was very revealing in that he explained some the background on what was going on in his life ..

* 10 months out from the 2 ankle surgeries
* whole new coaching staff when he returns
* not aligned with QB
*even though his combine tanked, he was confident in not repeating the effort at Pro-day
* the belief an NFL team told him he is Day 2 pick (Draft Capital will be the key here)
If he falls, it means to me that his ankle is Effed up.

I hit the character limit in my Route Running thread, so I'm putting the full quotes and links for each player in their bespoke threads.

+ "savvy route runner" - https://www.bigblueview.com/2023/3/...-boutte-wr-lsu-scouting-report-ny-giants-news
- "his route technique needs more consistency." - https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2023-dynasty-rookie-wr-rankings/
- "Could be a weapon if he commits himself to running routes with more snap/hip sink, but at the moment looks like he might struggle to get separation from pro cornerbacks" - https://www.fantasypros.com/2023/01/top-dynasty-rookie-wide-receivers-2023-fantasy-football/

Jared Smola
@SmolaDS
Kayshon Boutte's final 9 games before hurting his ankle in October 2021 ...
8-111-0
5-108-1
14-308-3
9-148-3
5-32-2
6-44-1
4-85-2
6-127-1
8-73-0

@DrJesseMorse
Thoughts on the long-term effects of Boutte's broken ankle?
Kings of the North@SKOLdiers
Look at his pro day video and RAS score. I wanted to like him based on old tape also but that player is gone.
@SmolaDS
I’m with you. Was just reminiscing.

Patriots selected LSU WR Kayshon Boutte with the No. 187 overall pick in the 2023 NFL Draft.​

Boutte (5’11/195) hit the ground running for the Tigers as a true freshman in 2020, posting a 45/735/5 line that included an SEC record 308 yards receiving against Ole Miss. He was building on that breakout campaign through his first six games of 2021 (38/509/9) before suffering a right ankle injury that eventually required two surgeries. He wasn’t the same in 2022 (48/538/2 in 11 games) before bombing the pre-draft process with a 4.50 40-yard dash and terrible jump and agility numbers. His 4.99 relative athletic score out of a possible 10.0 does not predict future NFL greatness. Boutte’s NFL prospects are all about getting healthier and re-establishing his top-end speed and underneath twitch ability. If so, he has the frame to qualify as a size/speed threat in a league getting smaller and smaller at wideout.
Apr 29, 2023, 4:06 PM ET

With 6th round draft capital he'd better come correct heading into Foxboro, because he won't get too many second chances.

Great pick by the Patriots. If he doesn't work out, then not much lost. I don't think he's the same player he was after his freshman year, but who knows.

A lot of red flags with this kid...combine testing, lack of college production and some questions about his time at LSU...right now I will let someone else deal with it.
Oh no you won't, ha ha.

Got no issue with it for the Pats since he fell all the way to the 6th due to all the red flags (although my original post was directed at fantasy not real football where he has even less value now)...zero expectations but worth a flyer that low in the draft especially since they didn't address the position earlier.

Last edited:
How things have changed. I seen a mock draft a year ago projecting him out to be the 1.07 rookie pick in a SF 2022/2023 combined class ahead of G Wilson, Olave, Walker, ect.
Oh yeah - you can quote many many, many more recent posts by me about his tragic fall from grace.

Dude never physically recovered from his injury, and seems to be a head case.

My emotion in the post above was legit - he was an absolute joy to watch play. It’s a sad story now.

Good luck to the Pats.

A lot of red flags with this kid...combine testing, lack of college production and some questions about his time at LSU...right now I will let someone else deal with it.
Oh no you won't, ha ha.

Got no issue with it for the Pats since he fell all the way to the 6th due to all the red flags (although my original post was directed at fantasy not real football where he has even less value now)...zero expectations but worth a flyer that low in the draft especially since they didn't address the position earlier.
A better Tyreek Hill, sans domestic abuse and expectations.

Boutte is a mystery wrapped in a Twinkie. At one point, he was getting talked up as a Top 10 overall pick. Then he got hurt, needed two surgeries over two years, and never got back to the same level. Now he was drafted at #187. NE thinks his issues are injury related, and all he needs is time and treatment to properly recover. One of the guys in THIS mock draft this past December had the Patriots selecting Boutte AT PICK 14.

I've had ankle injuries including broken bones and torn ligaments. I never got close to the physical condition I was in prior to that. Granted, I was never a pro-level athlete and did not get the same level of treatment as today's athletes get. Maybe Boutte can heal up and get back to how he played as an 18-year-old. He turns 21 this week, so he still is on the young side. Prior to his ankle injury, he put up 83-1244-14 in 16 games at LSU. As we all know, the Patriots don't exactly have a bunch of superstars at WR. Certainly, an intriguing pick with upside and opportunity . . . if he can right the ship.

Last edited:

NESN's Zack Cox believes WR Kayshon Boutte "won't be a lock" to make the Patriots 53-player roster.​

The No. 2 receiver in the nation as recently as 2021, Boutte's disastrous final season at LSU plummeted his draft stock. New England took Boutte in the sixth round of the 2023 draft after a catastrophic performance by Boutte -- who struggled with ankle injuries in college -- at the NFL Combine. The rookie would seem to have every chance to making the team this summer in one of the league's worst wide receiver rooms. "If Boutte can buy into Bill Belichick’s demanding program and recapture the potential he showed in 2020 and 2021, he has the talent to become a legitimate weapon in the Patriots’ passing attack," Cox said. Boutte has a chance to play in three-wideout sets this season but doesn't have much fantasy appeal in what will be a balanced Patriots offense.
SOURCE: NESN.com
May 17, 2023, 8:29 AM ET

The Patriots don't know how to draft or develop receivers and their WR room is one of the worst in the league. The kid either has the natural talent to rise to the occasion or its a dumpster fire, but on the plus side I think we won't have to wait long to find out.

For whatever it's worth, the beat guys that cover the team have come out with their initial roster projections, and the majority of them don't have Boutte on the roster. They either have neither rookie making the final cut or Demario Douglas getting the last WR spot over Boutte. One or two guys said NE might try to get Boutte on the player squad. We are a long way away from teams having to make roster composition decisions, but as of now, I haven't heard anyone going to bat for Boutte. The majority opinion is Boutte will have to flash a lot on the field or they may just move on from him.

Users who are viewing this thread