What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Kayshon Boutte, NE (1 Viewer)

The Athletic's Chad Graff left Kayshon Boutte off his 53-man projection for New England's roster after their offseason program.​

Boutte "was outplayed by fellow sixth-round pick [Demario] Douglas, whose sudden movements seem like a good fit for Bill O’Brien’s offense," per Graff. This is not the first report we've had of Boutte struggling this offseason. Being picked in the sixth round makes him no lock for the roster, and we certainly haven't heard anything all that encouraging about his status so far. He doesn't need to be rostered in deep dynasty leagues at this point.
SOURCE: The Athletic
Jun 20, 2023 at 1:05 PM ET

That would surprise nobody. He’s been on a negative trajectory for a couple years now. This is how it usually ends for those guys.

Unless I missed it outside of having name recognition, I don't think I have seen one positive report on this kid since the local media has been able to watch.

IMO, if NE thinks he has potential but is still hurt, they will put him on IR and red shirt him until next year. If they think he is a developmental guy and don’t think he can contribute much this year, they will try to stash him on the practice squad. But if they think he isn’t putting in the effort and / or doesn’t flash much at all, then he will be an easy cut. At this point, the chances he makes any sort of contribution or put up any meaningful numbers this season is very slim.

IMO, if NE thinks he has potential but is still hurt, they will put him on IR and red shirt him until next year. If they think he is a developmental guy and don’t think he can contribute much this year, they will try to stash him on the practice squad. But if they think he isn’t putting in the effort and / or doesn’t flash much at all, then he will be an easy cut. At this point, the chances he makes any sort of contribution or put up any meaningful numbers this season is very slim.
That pretty much covers all the bases.

Relax Boutte, it took (Bill) 27 years to realize N'keal Harry wasn't any good.
Big difference is investment. If I ordered a $20 item and didn't like it, I would toss it day one without hesitation. If I bought a $200 item, I would take some time trying to convince myself I liked it before I cut bait.

Only adjustment I would make is this:
At this point, the chances he makes any sort of contribution or put up any meaningful numbers ever is very slim.

At this point, the chances he makes any sort of contribution or put up any meaningful numbers ever is very slim.
If you want to conclude that for a 21-year-old that has not played in a single padded practice yet after coming off a major injury, that's up to you. Prior to the injury, we was looked at as a potential Top 10 draft pick. Clearly right now that's not him. But some team will give him a look and consideration if / when NE moves on from him.

If you want to conclude that for a 21-year-old that has not played in a single padded practice yet after coming off a major injury, that's up to you. Prior to the injury, we was looked at as a potential Top 10 draft pick. Clearly right now that's not him. But some team will give him a look and consideration if / when NE moves on from him.
I really don’t care what the devy community thought of him. He’s a 6th round pick who might still be hurt and is getting negative buzz in camp. That already makes his odds of ever amounting to an NFL contributor incredibly small. It doesn’t matter what his name is, he’s in a situation few players ever rise from.

Mark Daniels
Kayshon Boutte has been 👀 so far today

He had a nice catch from Mac Jones. Then Bailey Zappe comes on the field and Boutte catches three more passes on five dropbacks

Evan Lazar
Kayshon Boutte is up to four catches in team. Having a great start to practice.

The problem this year for NE is they have a lot of less than premium WR options . . . but they have a lot of them:
Parker, JJSS, Bourne, Thornton, Douglas, Boutte, Cunningham (listed as a WR / QB), Montgomery (listed as a WR / RB), Tre Nixon . . . even Gesicki (listed as a TE but essentially a WR).

They just signed Juju, they just extended Parker, Douglas has been the talk of camp, Bourne was their most productive WR two seasons ago, they are unlikely to cut Thornton as a recent second round pick.

There are only so many roster spots. Not sure what the point would be in having 7 or 8 guys on the roster as WR when the last few guys wouldn't play. I'm beginning to think that if NE sees something in Boutte but can't find a spot for him, they would just put him on IR and revisit this next year.

Mark Daniels
Kayshon Boutte has been 👀 so far today

He had a nice catch from Mac Jones. Then Bailey Zappe comes on the field and Boutte catches three more passes on five dropbacks

Evan Lazar
Kayshon Boutte is up to four catches in team. Having a great start to practice.

The problem this year for NE is they have a lot of less than premium WR options . . . but they have a lot of them:
Parker, JJSS, Bourne, Thornton, Douglas, Boutte, Cunningham (listed as a WR / QB), Montgomery (listed as a WR / RB), Tre Nixon . . . even Gesicki (listed as a TE but essentially a WR).

They just signed Juju, they just extended Parker, Douglas has been the talk of camp, Bourne was their most productive WR two seasons ago, they are unlikely to cut Thornton as a recent second round pick.

There are only so many roster spots. Not sure what the point would be in having 7 or 8 guys on the roster as WR when the last few guys wouldn't play. I'm beginning to think that if NE sees something in Boutte but can't find a spot for him, they would just put him on IR and revisit this next year.
Monty and Nixon not worth mentioning, they’re easy cuts IMO.

I agree that those two are easy guys to take off the list. But that leaves 7 guys. They normally don't carry more than 5. Even if we count Cunningham as a QB, I doubt they keep 6 WR on the active roster.

Maybe they finally cut Bourne loose? Would love to see 2 WRs from this draft class make the team and be productive. Chances are they redshirt him with the ol' Foxboro Flu

I agree that those two are easy guys to take off the list. But that leaves 7 guys. They normally don't carry more than 5. Even if we count Cunningham as a QB, I doubt they keep 6 WR on the active roster.
I highly doubt Cunningham makes the 53, they more likely try to sneak him onto the PS. Boutte is making a stronger case lately and I wonder what they do there. If they cut/trade Bourne then they’d be thin on experienced veterans. Douglas feels more and more like a lock. And I feel like Thornton is getting at least another year to show something. This may be a year they keep 6.

Maybe they finally cut Bourne loose? Would love to see 2 WRs from this draft class make the team and be productive. Chances are they redshirt him with the ol' Foxboro Flu
I think they need to cut Bourne loose, but in the complete opposite meaning as you intended. He was the most efficient and productive WR in the league in 2021. He did more on a per touch basis than Deebo Samuel did (who was an All Pro). He was their most explosive playmaker by a country mile that year. He had 925 YFS on only 70 targets. They shouldn't be cutting him . . . they should be giving him the ball twice as much. I don't really understand why people want him off the team.

I think they need to cut Bourne loose, but in the complete opposite meaning as you intended.
Touché. Going to have to make room for Boutte because I don't think they'll be able to sneak him on the practice squad. Maybe Thornton starts on the PUP?
Thornton can't start the season on the PUP. Once a player is active for training camp, that eliminates the PUP option to start the season. One option is they put him on season ending IR now, but IIRC, he could be claimed by another team (who knows how likely that would be). The other option is they put him on their initial Week 1 roster (ie, they have to use a roster spot) and then transfer him to IR. That would not expose him to waivers, and would allow for him to come back later in the season (IR - designated for return). The other option is to cut him and resign him to the practice squad (which again he could be claimed by another franchise). Thornton has struggled to stay on the field, and they might be able to get him on the practice squad (not sure he's shown enough for another team to swoop in and grab him).

The issue will be they probably don't have enough open roster spots for Boutte, Douglas, Cunningham, and Thornton. I have heard that Bourne could be a trade candidate, but as already mentioned, with BOB, he has a chance to be very productive. I heard some talk / podcasts this week suggesting the offense may be more vertical than in recent seasons, and they may look to take more chances for chunk plays than normal. If (and it's a big if) they can sort out the OL issues, they show signs of being a much more capable offense than last year, and potentially better than the 2021 season.

Another thing that will probably happen again is a flurry of roster moves after cut down day. Who knows if they will dump a fifth safety or a special teams body for an upgrade elsewhere. This time of year trades can pop up out of nowhere too. It will be interesting to observe their roster management in the next few weeks.

Sleeper or roster clogger?

He started off real slow with the Pats but he has been gaining momentum of late so hopefully BB and the staff have gotten thru to him...the next step is an easy one...does he make the team...unless they make a trade Juju, Parker and Bourne are the definites and I would put Douglas into that category as well...Thornton has turned into a mystery and his injury only enhances this...at this point if they were to cut Boutte I don't see him getting thru to the PS...with all the issues the Pats have had with young WRs I really hope they keep this kid to start the season...if Douglas and Boutte are in-fact legit that would be a huge boost to this roster...as for fantasy I think it's a real stretch to see him making noise so I think the only format he makes sense in is Dynasty with either big rosters or a lot of teams...other than that he probably clogs.

He started off real slow with the Pats but he has been gaining momentum of late so hopefully BB and the staff have gotten thru to him...the next step is an easy one...does he make the team...unless they make a trade Juju, Parker and Bourne are the definites and I would put Douglas into that category as well...Thornton has turned into a mystery and his injury only enhances this...at this point if they were to cut Boutte I don't see him getting thru to the PS...with all the issues the Pats have had with young WRs I really hope they keep this kid to start the season...if Douglas and Boutte are in-fact legit that would be a huge boost to this roster...as for fantasy I think it's a real stretch to see him making noise so I think the only format he makes sense in is Dynasty with either big rosters or a lot of teams...other than that he probably clogs.
Nice post, very informative.

Nice post, very informative.

Phil Perry (who knows his stuff) with a quick blurb on Boutte:

Here is another article...touches on something I hadn't thought of...Cunningham and Boutte could be fighting for the same roster spot.

For a team that is said to have no WRs, NE sure has a lot of WRs. They just gave JJSS a decent contract. They just extended Parker with a decent contract. Bourne has a chance to be much more productive if BOB uses him more. That leaves Thornton (oft injured and disappointing), Douglas (the talk of camp), Boutte (coming on strong), and Cunningham (still used more as a WR than a QB). Cunningham could earn a roster spot as their 3rd QB, but that still leaves 6 WR. They can't all have roles, and they may serve to take snaps away from each other. My guess is they don't want to cut Thornton, so he could end up on IR.

I could see that even without a WR1, a WR grouping of Parker-JJSS-Bourne-Douglas-Boutte has some upside and could end up with middle of the league production (vs. Bottom 3, which is where they've been projected). But that's assuming the OL is better than Swiss chese and Mac plays at least as well as he did as a rookie (if not better). I don't have much faith in Zappe, so they better hope Jones can stay in the lineup (not that I have faith in Mac . . . but I think he's better than Bailey).

Kayshon Boutte caught both of his targets for 49 yards and a touchdown in the Patriots’ preseason game against the Packers.
Boutte tallied both of his catches with Bailey Zappe and the backups, but his long touchdown was still promising considering how precarious his spot on the team’s roster is. He reeled in a short slant and beat a poor angle from Anthony Johnson for a 42-yard score. Boutte broke out as a true freshman at LSU but an ankle injury as a sophomore left him a shell of his former self. The Pats eventually took a flyer on Boutte with the No. 187 pick in the 2023 NFL Draft. Boutte isn’t on the redraft radar this year, but he could be worth a stash in deep dynasty leagues.

For a team that is said to have no WRs, NE sure has a lot of WRs. They just gave JJSS a decent contract. They just extended Parker with a decent contract. Bourne has a chance to be much more productive if BOB uses him more. That leaves Thornton (oft injured and disappointing), Douglas (the talk of camp), Boutte (coming on strong), and Cunningham (still used more as a WR than a QB). Cunningham could earn a roster spot as their 3rd QB, but that still leaves 6 WR. They can't all have roles, and they may serve to take snaps away from each other. My guess is they don't want to cut Thornton, so he could end up on IR.

I could see that even without a WR1, a WR grouping of Parker-JJSS-Bourne-Douglas-Boutte has some upside and could end up with middle of the league production (vs. Bottom 3, which is where they've been projected). But that's assuming the OL is better than Swiss chese and Mac plays at least as well as he did as a rookie (if not better). I don't have much faith in Zappe, so they better hope Jones can stay in the lineup (not that I have faith in Mac . . . but I think he's better than Bailey).

That first sentence is not correct...the issue is no high-end WRs or someone a D has to actually gameplan for.

the issue is no high-end WRs or someone a D has to actually gameplan for
Right.

We pretty sure that JJSS and Parker aren't studs. Fantasy-wise, you can find that production easily via the wire or trade.

The young good looking guys are the ones worth going after, because they might be something special.

the issue is no high-end WRs or someone a D has to actually gameplan for
Right.

We pretty sure that JJSS and Parker aren't studs. Fantasy-wise, you can find that production easily via the wire or trade.

The young good looking guys are the ones worth going after, because they might be something special.

Agreed but it is a big jump from being on the roster bubble to being special although Boutte's past pedigree is a little different...Douglas is the one I am very intrigued by because you can see the path to success if he is what we are hearing...for Boutte I just want to see him get the opportunity to develop with the Pats.

And they chose to sign JuJu and extend Parker. It's almost as if they desire receivers that can't separate and the mediocrity that comes with that.

One was a first round pick and the other a flier, so no. Also, they are nothing alike physically.

I'm talking about the Pats history with garbage receivers.

I wasn't even remotely comparing the two.

And I wasn't talking about Boutte. I was ripping Anarchy's assessment of Bill's assessment of the wide receivers.

One was a first round pick and the other a flier, so no. Also, they are nothing alike physically.

I'm talking about the Pats history with garbage receivers.

I wasn't even remotely comparing the two.

And I wasn't talking about Boutte. I was ripping Anarchy's assessment of Bill's assessment of the wide receivers.
Oops, sorry, I thought the subject was Boutte.

My Napoleon Complex detector is going off. Are you a Jets fan?

Uh yeah, I said it upthread. Don't play coy. Your outside receivers have been garbage since Troy Brown and then Randy Moss. Those are the only two of note in about thirty-five years. Doesn't take being a Jets fan to figure that out.

My Napoleon Complex detector is going off. Are you a Jets fan?

Uh yeah, I said it upthread. Don't play coy. Your outside receivers have been garbage since Troy Brown and then Randy Moss. Those are the only two of note in about thirty-five years. Doesn't take being a Jets fan to figure that out.
Odd take. Stanley Morgan, Wes Welker, Julian Edelman, Irving Fryer, Terry Glenn, Deion Branch, Danny Amendola to name a few....

Your outside receivers. Like the guys not in the slot. Edelman, Welker, Amendola all played slot.

Three guys came before Troy Brown and Moss, and then Deion Branch are you serious?

Stanley Morgan and Irving Fryar?

:lmao:

I think they predate Belichick.
In fairness you did say “in about thirty-five years” :wink: and those two count within that timeframe, but it also goes to show how far back one has to go to find examples.

A few honorable mentions for boundary receivers in the Belichick era can include David Givens (fantasy WR37 in 2004, big contributor to 2 SB championships) and Brandon Lloyd (fantasy WR28 in 2012). Otherwise there just wasn’t much going for them.

Oh, I guess. I said "since Troy Brown and then Randy Moss." Then I said that "those are the only two of note in about thirty-five years." Yeah, I'm probably off by five years.

But Stanley Morgan and Fryar were, respectively, the seventies and early-to-mid eighties, and the mid-eighties when they were at their peak. Morgan retired in 1990 and and Fryar in 2000 after he bounced around a bunch. But both guys were recipients of Steve Grogan throws. Hell, they wore the throwbacks before they were throwbacks.

I guess strictly speaking, thirty-five is too long. But it's close.

Users who are viewing this thread