What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Greg Jennings to Vikings, now Dolphins (2 Viewers)

Im not "feeling" it but might have to play him as a Cobb replacement. Sitiation for Jennings is in his favor for theweekend. The Giants D, Freeman starting for the first time could target the established veteran more. Interesting start...

Ponder and Cassell. Same QB IMO. Maybe Freeman is better, who knows. But the game plan sucks. It doesn't appear they want to throw over the middle at all. That's Jennings bread and butter. This team just can't put an offensive game plan together.

Im not "feeling" it but might have to play him as a Cobb replacement. Sitiation for Jennings is in his favor for theweekend. The Giants D, Freeman starting for the first time could target the established veteran more. Interesting start...
I may or may not be in the same boat...

He hasn't been horrible this year. Not good, but 12.12 PPG in PPR is good for WR30ish in my league. Low-end WR3 but as said, conditions seem to be right for one of those "up" weeks.

Overall a solid game outing for Jennings. 1 catch for 9 yards. Man I hope that $ was worth it. He has dismantled his career. I knew he was in big trouble when he praised Ponder, sucked with Ponder and then praised Cassel. Once he praised Freeman, he hit rock bottom.

Any chance the cut him loose (and call it even) based on his horrid stat line?

He's gotta be kicking himself and watching what both Jones and Boykin are doing in his place.

Overall a solid game outing for Jennings. 1 catch for 9 yards. Man I hope that $ was worth it. He has dismantled his career. I knew he was in big trouble when he praised Ponder, sucked with Ponder and then praised Cassel. Once he praised Freeman, he hit rock bottom.

I am going to wait and see...when freeman comes back...he is way better than Ponder...Ponder gives up on plays fast.....Freeman will stay in the pocket more or at least step up....ponder is horrible

I am going to wait and see...when freeman comes back...he is way better than Ponder...Ponder gives up on plays fast.....Freeman will stay in the pocket more or at least step up....ponder is horrible
Whoa. If he's way better than Ponder, why is Ponder in the NFL? They both suck the big one. Neither is anything more than a backup for a QB like Brees where you come in with the score 52 -7 and kneel down with 2:00 left in the 4th and collect your paycheck.

Whoa. If he's way better than Ponder, why is Ponder in the NFL? They both suck the big one. Neither is anything more than a backup for a QB like Brees where you come in with the score 52 -7 and kneel down with 2:00 left in the 4th and collect your paycheck.
I have no clue why Ponder is in the NFL....most likely too costly to just cut....the NFL game move just too fast for him...Freeman has shown he can Play at the NFL level!

I have no clue why Ponder is in the NFL....most likely too costly to just cut....the NFL game move just too fast for him...Freeman has shown he can Play at the NFL level!
The truth is that they have to pay him the money whether they keep him or cut him. Nobody will take him in trade so they're stuck with him.

Rotoworld:

Greg Jennings was added to the Vikings' injury report Thursday, getting in a limited session with an Achilles' issue.

Mid-week downgrades are never good news, but especially when they're Achilles' tendon related. Jennings hasn't spent much time on the injury report this season, but it's possible it's just a minor issue the Vikings are using as a means of limiting his reps. A WR3/4 for Week 11, Jennings' status will be updated on Friday.

Source: Chip Scoggins on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Greg Jennings (Achilles) is not practicing Wednesday.

Jennings was a surprise inactive in Week 11 and is still dealing with soreness in his Achilles injury. He's hoping to return to practice Thursday and should return after missing just one game.

Source: Mark Craig on Twitter

I could see Minnesota cutting him this offseason, and him signing for cheap with some team that actually has a QB. He could have a steal of the draft type season, he's only 30.

I could see Minnesota cutting him this offseason, and him signing for cheap with some team that actually has a QB. He could have a steal of the draft type season, he's only 30.
His 2014 base salary ($4.9m) is fully guaranteed.

Based on this year's salary, he's making about $50k per catch for the season to date. Money well-spent!

Favre and Rodgers made him look good, eh?
Actually he has always been able to get open but when you have turds throwing to you it really doesn't matter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyLHvJ0h4l4
True, Ponder/Freeman are culprits, but it can't all be placed on them. Other #1 WRs have put up numbers with lesser QBs.

I think the bottom line is that Jennings is a good - but not great - receiver that can't do it on his own, and benefited from having two HoF QBs throwing with him along with solid receiving options alongside him to take off pressure.

zamboni said:
lod01 said:
Eminence said:
Actually he has always been able to get open but when you have turds throwing to you it really doesn't matter.

True, Ponder/Freeman are culprits, but it can't all be placed on them. Other #1 WRs have put up numbers with lesser QBs.

I think the bottom line is that Jennings is a good - but not great - receiver that can't do it on his own, and benefited from having two HoF QBs throwing with him along with solid receiving options alongside him to take off pressure.
I think he was a far better fit for the Dolphins than Wallace. For some reason Miami didn't see it that way.

zamboni said:
lod01 said:
Eminence said:

I think he was a far better fit for the Dolphins than Wallace. For some reason Miami didn't see it that way.
And the fact that Philbin, who coached him in Green Bay, didn't make a play for him maybe says something about Jennings as a difference maker. Of course, it didn't stop them from throwing a boatload of wasted money at Wallace, so I wouldn't exactly commend Philbin's scouting ability.

zamboni said:
lod01 said:
Eminence said:

And the fact that Philbin, who coached him in Green Bay, didn't make a play for him maybe says something about Jennings as a difference maker. Of course, it didn't stop them from throwing a boatload of wasted money at Wallace, so I wouldn't exactly commend Philbin's scouting ability.
Take it up with Jeff Ireland.

zamboni said:
lod01 said:
Eminence said:

At a minimum, one of them sucks at what they do. This we do know.

zamboni said:
lod01 said:
Eminence said:

I'm sure it was a tag team effort. I don't think Ireland would have forced Wallace on Philbin.

But at the end of the day zamb, player acquisition is on the GM.
Agreed. I just think that you don't go out and give a hotshot OC the keys to the castle, and not let him bring in guys he wants.

But hey, I'm a sucker that bought into the Wallace hype, so what the hell do I know.

Green Bay and New England made offers to Jennings. The Vikings were the only team willing to pay Jennings as a WR1 after the 2012 season.

zamboni said:
lod01 said:
Eminence said:

Ponder could make Megatron look human!

Rotoworld:

Greg Jennings (Achilles) returned to Vikings practice Thursday.

He'll almost certainly be listed as "limited." Most signs point toward Jennings returning against the Packers, but he'll likely be questionable instead of probable on Friday's injury report. Jennings shouldn't be expected to be 100 percent against his former team just seven days after his surprise inactive. He's a low-end WR4 for Week 12.

Source: St. Paul Pioneer Press on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Greg Jennings has 15 catches for 202 yards with three touchdowns in 2.5 games with Matt Cassel this season.

In 8.5 games with Christian Ponder and Josh Freeman, Jennings has totaled 28 catches for 315 yards and no scores. "There's definitely a trust factor there, and Greg is an excellent route runner," coach Leslie Frazier said. "I would think maybe the veteran experience. Those guys hit it off early on back in the spring, and he really trusts Greg to be where he's supposed to be." If the Vikings want any shot at beating the Ravens on Sunday, they'll roll with Cassel. That would give Jennings a shred of upside as a WR4 candidate in Week 14.

Source: Minneapolis Star-Tribune

Rotoworld:

Greg Jennings has 15 catches for 202 yards with three touchdowns in 2.5 games with Matt Cassel this season.

In 8.5 games with Christian Ponder and Josh Freeman, Jennings has totaled 28 catches for 315 yards and no scores. "There's definitely a trust factor there, and Greg is an excellent route runner," coach Leslie Frazier said. "I would think maybe the veteran experience. Those guys hit it off early on back in the spring, and he really trusts Greg to be where he's supposed to be." If the Vikings want any shot at beating the Ravens on Sunday, they'll roll with Cassel. That would give Jennings a shred of upside as a WR4 candidate in Week 14.

Source: Minneapolis Star-Tribune
Wow. Amazing. So....despite the folks who've piled on in this thread saying that Jennings blows, he was a product of the system, etc......when Jennings has a quality veteran QB, he has put up ~67 yds per game and 1 TD per game. Conservatively, it wouldn't be crazy to say that could lead to about 1100 yds and 8 TDs (I cut the TDs since they are volatile) on a full season basis.

The real issue has been that Ponder sucks and can't play QB. Frazier basically says that without saying it. "Greg is an excellent route runner." "....he really trusts Greg to be where he is supposed to be." Can't say it much more simply -- Jennings runs good routes and gets open, Cassell can hit him, Ponder cannot.

What I most recall about Jennings with the Vikes was the first good game he had with Cassel vs PIT (4/3/92/2).

He's had some others, including this week (vs PHI): 13/11/163/1.

Also with Cassel he's gone:

vs CAR 10/6/34/0

vs CHI 9/7/78/1

@Bal 10/5/53/0

There are 3 very good to excellent weeks vs some shaky defenses (which PIT was at the time), and two mediocre but not killer games vs two potentially good defenses - this is pretty startable stuff.

I've viewed @ Cincy as a bad matchup all year long for just about everything though, I really don't know if this is ideal for championship week.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I most recall about Jennings with the Vikes was the first good game he had with Cassel vs PIT (4/3/92/2).

He's had some others, including this week (vs PHI): 13/11/163/1.

Also with Cassel he's gone:

vs CAR 10/6/34/0

vs CHI 9/7/78/1

@Bal 10/5/53/0

There are 3 very good to excellent weeks vs some shaky defenses (which PIT was at the time), and two mediocre but not killer games vs two potentially good defenses - this is pretty startable stuff.

I've viewed @ Cincy as a bad matchup all year long for just about everything though, I really don't know if this is ideal for championship week.
I don't know...Cinci's DBs are all beat up. Kirkpatrick went down last night too.

I still cannot believe the Queens benched Cassell after he won them the Pit game (and one more I believe?) to start Freeman vs the Giants. The Vikings best QB easily is Cassell and if he had started all year, they could have competed this year for a playoff spot for sure. I was mad that the Bears D knocked Ponder out with a concussion - that play cost us the game.

Problem is I don't know if Cassel will lock onto Patterson or Jennings - MC in his 3 last starts has produced 3 WR1 Fantasy games.

vs CHI - Jennings 7 for 78 and 1 TD

vs BAL - Coradelle 5 for 141 and 1 TD

vs PHI - Jennings 11 for 163 and 1 TD

I just used my last move on Jennings - the upside is huge and with MC he has a low floor like 5 for 50. Gotta roll with him in my flex.

Problem is I don't know if Cassel will lock onto Patterson or Jennings - MC in his 3 last starts has produced 3 WR1 Fantasy games.

vs CHI - Jennings 7 for 78 and 1 TD

vs BAL - Coradelle 5 for 141 and 1 TD

vs PHI - Jennings 11 for 163 and 1 TD
Also look at the targets:

CHI - 9

BAL - 10

PHI - 9

Don't forget the PIT game @ UK:

Simpson 11/7/124/1

Jennings 4/3/92/2 (70 yard TD)

The vs CAR game (also a Cassel start) went:

Rudolph 11/9/97/1

Jennings 10/6/34/0

Simpson 7/4/30/0

That Baltimore game for Patterson was pretty normal until that final 79 yard TD catch and run, admittedly a thing of beauty but not actually created by throwing downfield.

The BAL defense at home is just a pain in the neck for visiting offensive players, Jennings still came out with 10 targets and 5/53/0.

CHI & Philly were great matchups, but both were at home and I just can't figure out @ CIN. As noted above Kirkpatrick might be out and some might think the Bengals pass defense is kind of gimpy (Indy just did fine, and Bal did too). Not sure about that, would love some more opinions, info.

Interesting year for Jennings -- his production was night and day different when he had a serviceable NFL QB (Cassel) vs when he had Ponder / not knowing the play book Freeman.

7 games with Cassel: 41 - 492 - 4

8 games with Ponder / Freeman: 27 - 312 - 0

If the Vikings end the Christian Ponder experiment and Norv Turner can coach up the passing game, Jennings could be a nice bargain in all formats. He's not super likely to ever return to FF WR1 form, but he's only 30 and could easily have 2 or 3 years of solid FF WR2 left in him. Considering his age and the turd-riffic season he just put up, he's probably close to free in dynasty / keeper leagues. And in redrafts he's so unsexy that he'll probably go off the board as a WR4.

Agree, thought he finished the year strong under the circumstances.

Plus as soon as this season, Patterson may well be the most feared WR on the team and draw the most attention and coverage, so that could free up Jennings more.

Users who are viewing this thread