What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Greg Jennings to Vikings, now Dolphins (2 Viewers)

Jennings will out peform Havin going forward and here's why: Jennings played a variety of receiver spots in Green Bay, lining up outside and in the slot, and developed a reputation as one of the game's smoothest route runners, able to disguise his intentions from defensive backs until the last second. Havin does not have physical or metal toughness that Jennings has. Jennings makes the frosting on the cake after what the Vikings got from the hawks for Harvin.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know that Jennings isn't a long term answer at wideout. What is long term anymore? 3 years? He's only 30.
He's actually 29
True...I think most are just saying 30 because he will be come September I believe.
I view him as 30 but find it funny that it's considered old. I look at what Reggie Wayne has done in the 5 years since turning 30 and think if Jennings comes even close to that he's very, very valuable. The floor on him is a few 70/1000/7 type seasons (low WR2 numbers).

I don't know that Jennings isn't a long term answer at wideout. What is long term anymore? 3 years? He's only 30.
He's actually 29
True...I think most are just saying 30 because he will be come September I believe.
I view him as 30 but find it funny that it's considered old. I look at what Reggie Wayne has done in the 5 years since turning 30 and think if Jennings comes even close to that he's very, very valuable. The floor on him is a few 70/1000/7 type seasons (low WR2 numbers).
Yup. Jennings is a superb technician, he has never been a pure burner. Steve Smith is much more of a pure speed guy, though also is a pretty darn good route runner. He turns 34 in 2 months, and he's done just fine since turning 30, despite playing either with brutal QBs or on a run-first offense.Wayne is another great compare. And if people are panicked about age, Andre Johnson turns 32 this summer.

:goodposting:Jennings is a "bridge." A potential 1,000+ yard "bridge," but a bridge nonetheless. The Vikings didn't have "Jordy Nelson" or "Randall Cobb" waiting in the wings (still not sold on Jones long-term). They think they've got something decent in JWright, and they'll be looking to draft at LEAST the next "Jennings" on Day 1 or 2 in April. But you don't waste ADP in his prime rolling with a hold-out/malcontent (Harvin), Simpson, and Jenkins at the WR position. Jennings will be night-and-day better with/for the team related to the intangibles that he brings off the field. And if he can teach JWright and their 1-2 WRs they draft in the top couple rounds even a few more things about what it takes to go from great in college to great in the pros, we've got a winner.Then the big problem is (and will continue to be) whether Ponder is a QB who can get it done and get those guys the ball. If Ponder was a legit threat to consistently hit our wideouts deep down the field? ADP might rush for 2,500 yards! Basically, put ADP on the Packers. Aaron Rodgers at QB, with Nelson/Cobb/Jones and Finley to keep defenses honest. Pick your poison. Shut down ADP, Rodgers and those WRs/TEs will SHRED you! Shut down the passing game? ADP will bend you over for 200 yards and two TDs. Either way, unless you can put up 30+ points, you lose. The Vikings are a "Rodgers" away from potentially going DEEP into January for the next several seasons. The Packers are an "ADP" away from needing to add a wing on to Lambeau to house all the new hardware they'd have on display. Ponder isn't 10% the QB that Aaron Rodgers is! But if he can at least grow/develop into 50-60% of Rodgers' game, the Vikings will be on to something. But better figure out if he can do it quick...as ADP's window is now.

Did Greg Jennings reject New England Patriots' offer?

By Kareem Copeland

Around the League Writer

Greg Jennings made a bold decision when he signed with the Minnesota Vikings. He took the most money offered (five years, $47.5 million, $18 million guaranteed), but he said the Vikings made him feel wanted.

The Vikings, however, did not offer the most talented offense. The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel's Bob McGinn reported the Packers proposed a deal that averaged $8 million per year. McGinn added the New England Patriots were willing to put up $6 million per year.

So Jennings bypassed the opportunity to team up with two different quarterbacks who have regular season and Super Bowl MVP awards (Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady) for the unspectacular Christian Ponder - and possibly Matt Cassel.

This isn't knocking the decision. NFL players have precious few opportunities to reach free agency in a league without fully-guaranteed contracts. Football is a violent game, and careers can end at any moment. Jennings saw this up close with safety Nick Collins. This is the last major deal that Jennings, 29, will get. I'm all for players maximizing what they can earn on the open market. Players have to do what's best for their families - and that includes factors beyond the football field.

The contrast in quarterbacks, however, is an interesting note.

I was on record at the end of the season that I was nervous about Jennings being the Vikings' FA target. Just made me nervous.

Not anymore. Now that he's signed I'm all aboard! Mentor. Professional WR. Likely to see single coverage often. I didn't know he had such a great personality which is always cool for the fans.

I have more faith in Ponder/Spielman than most. I'm drinking the kool-aid. I believe if healthy Jennings will go for 79/1100/11. :banned:

This is just my personal take--and I'm actually a Greg Jennings fan. I think the only way I would draft Greg Jennings this upcoming season is if I could get him as a very high upside wr3. It's not a knock on Jennings talent--but I don't trust Ponder at all. Ponder had a running back that had one of the best seasons in the history of the NFL--and still couldn't put up consistent numbers. With that kind of threat in the backfield--and the way that defenses game planned against AP--it was shocking to me that Ponder couldn't dink and dunk his way to at least halfway decent and consistent numbers. In my opinion, Percy Harvins athleticism actually inflated some of Ponders numbers. Harvin could make a 10-20 yard reception into a 40-70 yard gain. I'm not sure if Jennings is capable of the same type of thing. I see that a lot of people are comparing Jennings to Wayne--and I don't think that's a bad comparison in regards to those guys--but with wr's--you have to compare the qb's too. Ponder is not in the same neighborhood as Luck when it comes to talent. I could compare Larry Fitzgerald to other elite WR's because his talent and athleticism are comparable--but the fact that he has a horrid qb throwing him the ball vastly diminishes his upside and value.

'jvdesigns2002 said:
This is just my personal take--and I'm actually a Greg Jennings fan. I think the only way I would draft Greg Jennings this upcoming season is if I could get him as a very high upside wr3. It's not a knock on Jennings talent--but I don't trust Ponder at all. Ponder had a running back that had one of the best seasons in the history of the NFL--and still couldn't put up consistent numbers. With that kind of threat in the backfield--and the way that defenses game planned against AP--it was shocking to me that Ponder couldn't dink and dunk his way to at least halfway decent and consistent numbers. In my opinion, Percy Harvins athleticism actually inflated some of Ponders numbers. Harvin could make a 10-20 yard reception into a 40-70 yard gain. I'm not sure if Jennings is capable of the same type of thing. I see that a lot of people are comparing Jennings to Wayne--and I don't think that's a bad comparison in regards to those guys--but with wr's--you have to compare the qb's too. Ponder is not in the same neighborhood as Luck when it comes to talent. I could compare Larry Fitzgerald to other elite WR's because his talent and athleticism are comparable--but the fact that he has a horrid qb throwing him the ball vastly diminishes his upside and value.
There's definitely some risk but I put the downside at Wayne's 2011 (75/960/4, WR25) with Painter/Orlovsky.

'jvdesigns2002 said:
There's definitely some risk but I put the downside at Wayne's 2011 (75/960/4, WR25) with Painter/Orlovsky.
You might have a point there--but there are some differences in my opinion. As bad as Ponder is--AP is soo good that I don't expect the vikes to get too far behind in games to where a guy like Jennings could be the beneficiary of garbage time "fluff" yards. Not only that, there is no doubt that the vikes will be a run heavy team--which means clock management comes into play--if they have longer possessions--the odds of them so far behind in games to where they need to abandon the run game is reduced. If I remember right-I don't believe the colts had much of a run attack in 2011-- and I imagine that they were probably behind in a lot of games with Painter/orlovsky under center--which means there was a heavy passing attack--and probably a healthy amount of prevent defense. If you really have faith in Jennings--on a good day an argument might be made for him being a mid level wr2--but I personally think the risk outweighs the reward there. Keep in mind--another factor to consider is his potential for touchdowns. Ap will be the clear first choice when it comes to getting the ball in the red zone for the vikes. Aside from him--Kyle rudolph did a lot of his damage catching touchdowns last year and is a big red zone target for ponder to throw to. You mix in the fact that he's on a run heavy offense, with a below average qb, and is at best the third option for td's on his team--I just think there are lots of factors that could limit his fantasy success. I could very well be wrong on this--but I personally plan on keeping these things in mind when my fantasy drafts get close.

'Kenny Powers said:
:lmao: at NE thinking he would go there for $6M. They really are full of themselves.
They really think they are the ####. Jennings isn't dumb. The guy probably just laughed at that offer knowing that they would release him the minute the base salary started to increase. NE was probably a 1 year, let's #### this guy over, deal, then he will be 31 and really work cheap, look at us go. We are NE and we are the ####.

'datonn said:
Then the big problem is (and will continue to be) whether Ponder is a QB who can get it done and get those guys the ball.
That is exactly the question. Jennings is a great route runner - he will be where he is supposed to be. Can Ponder deliver on time and on location? If yes, expect great things. If not, then just good things. Worst case Jennings will deliver 6td and 1000 yards receiving. Best case? 10+td

I'm really sorry as a Green Bay fan to see Jennings go, especially to a division rival. Love him. Agree with others who believe the guy will go as far as Ponder can take him. Capable of 1,300/10+ TD's.

It's also important to remember that the bust rate for free agent WRs is significant, especially the ones who went to a lesser team with a lesser QB. Now, Jennings is no Javon Walker/Andre Rison/Jerry Porter/Alvin Harper/David Boston... etc. He is too talented to be a complete washout, but anyone who isn't at least a little bit concerned about going from Aaron Rodgers to Christian Ponder isn't being realistic.
That is a very good point. However, keep in mind VJAX from last year. Very similar in general terms: Great 29 year old receiver going from a playoff team to a lesser team and from a better to poorer QB.

He's actually 29
Yup. Jennings is a superb technician, he has never been a pure burner. Steve Smith is much more of a pure speed guy, though also is a pretty darn good route runner. He turns 34 in 2 months, and he's done just fine since turning 30, despite playing either with brutal QBs or on a run-first offense.Wayne is another great compare. And if people are panicked about age, Andre Johnson turns 32 this summer.
There are ertain players in the NFL who just have the combination of factors that allow them to endure. When you look at guys like AJ, Wayne, Hines Ward, Derrick Mason and all those types, they were all guys who run good routes, never predicated the bulk of their game on speed, had really good hands, and by and large were just good workers, willing to go to work and not be prima donnas. Steve smith kinda breaks the mold for these guys because he does it despite having speed be a big factor of his game. AJ kind of breaks this mold because he has that Tony gonzalez body that will help him be productive in the next few years.Jennings, to me, is very much like these guys. I think he can linger and be efficient AND be a good veteran presence in the locker room and have a really good end of career run over the next 3-4 years. If you put him on your team wanting him to be what you anticipate Harvin to be in the next few years then, yeah, you are probably going to be disappointed. But if you put him on your team wanting hime to be what Wayne, Ward, and those guys were as they wound their careers down, then you're going to be steady.

Fantasy hint: Greg Jennings

By Kevin Seifert | ESPN.com

Tristan H. Cockcroft offers sound analysis on Greg Jennings' arrival in Minnesota, both from a fantasy and conventional standpoint. In short: Jennings will do more for quarterback Christian Ponder than Ponder will do for Jennings.

Here is how Cockcroft put it: "Jennings gives the Vikings a much-needed outside receiver, but his fantasy upside is worse in Minnesota than Green Bay, despite the lack of competition for targets. And let's not overlook this fact, lest we dive into overdrafting him: Jennings has appeared in just 21 of 32 scheduled games the past two seasons combined. He's actually more likely to give Ponder a fighting chance of keeping his job than Ponder is to feed Jennings the ball often enough to be a top-shelf fantasy option."

There are plenty of ways to be of fantasy value, but for a receiver, the easiest might be to have a quarterback who excels at throwing the deep ball. Last season, according to ESPN Stats & Information, Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers completed nearly four times as many passes of more than 20 yards than Ponder. Also, Ponder joined Arizona Cardinals quarterback John Skelton as the only qualified quarterbacks not to throw a single touchdown on such throws.

Wide receiver Percy Harvin was the Vikings' leading pass-catcher before his season-ending ankle injury in 2012, but from a fantasy perspective, it's worth noting that he had only three receiving touchdowns among 82 targets. After his injury, as the chart shows, Ponder's top target was tight end Kyle Rudolph. Ponder threw only three touchdowns to wide receivers over that span.

So even if Jennings supplants Jarius Wright as the Vikings' most-targeted post-Harvin wide receiver, it's difficult to make much of a fantasy projection for him. Jennings can give the Vikings everything they want and still be a fantasy afterthought in Minnesota.

Thank you Tristian H. Cockcroft for dropping the knowledge. Who knew that Jennings fantasy would be less valuable in Minnesota than in Green Bay?

BTW: He is now being taken as the 29th wide receiver in mock drafts. He was getting drafted as a top 7 wide receiver last year.

Thank you Tristian H. Cockcroft for dropping the knowledge. Who knew that Jennings fantasy would be less valuable in Minnesota than in Green Bay?

BTW: He is now being taken as the 29th wide receiver in mock drafts. He was getting drafted as a top 7 wide receiver last year.
Because it has never ever happened before where players out performed their draft spot.

radiernotion nailed it he had discount double awesome throwing to him and now he wil l have quarter pounder with cheese who can be good but is streaky and also they run a lot more in minn than they do in gb or at least did when gregarino makeing copies was around so well he is still really good there are a lot of things saying that he will not have the numbers he used to and take that to the bank brohans

Because it has never ever happened before where players out performed their draft spot.
I am not sure what you are talking about? This is the silly season when there absolutely no football being played or even practiced. You have writers who must be getting paid by the word because they are stating the obvious and pretending like it is good advice.

I am not sure what you are talking about? This is the silly season when there absolutely no football being played or even practiced. You have writers who must be getting paid by the word because they are stating the obvious and pretending like it is good advice.
I might be off but it sounds like you guys are on the same side

Jennings if healthy will have a solid season and be a WR2 in fantasy. There are so many fans and especially viking fans down on Ponder, but he is not the big issue. When has he had a decent recieving group around him to produce numbers?

Harvin was good and they could move him around but he could not stay on the field. When on the feild he was keyed on by the defense. He also is better at running short to medium routes. These are the same routes that TE Rudolph is good at.

Simpson never got on track last year and if he would have been the deep threat to push the coverage back this team could have had a better passing game last year. This year Patterson needs to start out as a deep threat to take the top of the defense.

Rudolph is veryy effective and good pass catcher on short and medium routes. He is not going to run the seam route deep and puch the coverage back. IMO he is the best red zone option for this team and needs to be used off play action to make defenses pay for keying on ADP.

J. Wright is a guy that can make damage from the slot and do some of the things Harvin did for this team. He could easily be a sneaky player that most people are over looking in this offense.

Ponder and Jennings should have good success this year becuase Jennings is a great route runner with solid hands. IF the group around them plays well their numbers could be even better. Patterson keeping the D honest by going deep, Wright and Rudolph running short and medium routes, and ADP just racking yards on the ground. This could easily be the most well rounded offense the vikings have has in a long time. And if Ponder is the issue Cassell is there to step in and make things work,

Not with ponder as qb

Greg Jennings wants to prove that success extends beyond the QB

By Ryan Wilson | CBSSports.com

July 25, 2013 9:21 am ET

Wide receiver Greg Jennings had a three-year stretch with the Packers where he played in all 48 games, had 224 receptions for 3,670 yards (16.4 YPC) and scored 25 touchdowns. Those three seasons coincided with Aaron Rodgers' rise to the starting gig, which began in 2008.

By 2011, Jennings' numbers were still impressive -- 64 catches, 949 yards, 9 TDs -- but Jordy Nelson emerged as Rodgers' favorite target. And last season, injuries limited Jennings to just eight games. Meanwhile, James Jones and Randall Cobb combined for 1,738 yards and 22 touchdowns. So it was hardly surprising when the Packers decided to let Jenning walk. He eventually signed a five-year, $47.5 million deal to join the Vikings.

And now he'll continue his NFL journey without one of the league's best quarterbacks. Instead, Jennings will have Christian Ponder throwing him the ball. But the veteran wide receiver says a team is more than its quarterback, a sentiment, frankly, that goes against everything the NFL has become. The last 10 Super Bowl winners have had franchise quarterbacks under center. There's a good chance that if Ponder struggles, he could be benched for offseason acquisition Matt Cassel.

Still, Jennings thinks winning is a collective effort, not a dynamic where it becomes The Star Quarterback … and everybody else.

“A lot of times when you have a guy who creates that spotlight for himself and establishes that and takes a lot of that, it becomes so-and-so and the team,” Jennings told the StarTribune.com's Dan Wiederer. “It should always be the team. …

“For me, I'm such a team person, I'm going to defer to my teammates,” Jennings said. “I'm going to defer to the team, to the team, to the team. And I think when you reach a point where you're not deferring any longer, it's no longer really about the team.”

So what does this have to do with Rodgers?

“Don't get me wrong, ‘12' is a great person," Jennings continued. "But when you hear all positives, all positives, all positives all the time, it's hard for you to sit down when one of your teammates says ‘Man, come on, you've got to hold yourself accountable for this.' It's hard for someone to see that now because all they've heard is I'm doing it the right way, I'm perfect. In actuality, we all have flaws.”

This is where we point out that Jennings will have Ponder -- or Cassel! -- throwing him passes this season. Dealing with Rodgers' ego (perceived or otherwise) seems like a small price to pay to win.

But Jennings reiterates that winning is bigger than one person, even if that one person -- the quarterback -- plays the most important position on the field.

“I'm not saying that if I had wrote a script, this would hands down be the ideal position for me to be in,” Jennings said. “I don't know. Only God knows that. But for me, it's a challenge. It's a change of gear to where now I don't have that [established] quarterback. That's what everybody is saying. But in my mind, I don't need that quarterback for us to be successful.

“It's not about me. It's not about just Christian. It's about us.”

We'll find out soon enough.

As a Vikings fan, Jennings seems like he doth protest too much. He can just keep his mouth shut and play, and see how Ponder is. Instead he seems to almost be trying to convince himself about Ponder via the media. That makes me nervous. Almost like the dreaded vote of confidence.

As a Vikings fan, Jennings seems like he doth protest too much. He can just keep his mouth shut and play, and see how Ponder is. Instead he seems to almost be trying to convince himself about Ponder via the media. That makes me nervous. Almost like the dreaded vote of confidence.
Vincent Jackson did the same thing when he came to the Bucs. Hell he is still doing it. Worked out pretty well for them.

mr roboto said:
:shrug: Sounds to me like Jennings thinks Rodgers is a bit arrogant. Not a real shock.

mr roboto said:
:shrug: Sounds to me like Jennings thinks Rodgers is a bit arrogant. Not a real shock.
That part is not the shock...that he continues on with it as if Rodgers does not talk about the team and his guys seems quite misguided. Considering nearly every Rodgers press conference he praises his guys when the team wins and so on...and usually takes more of it on himself when they lose.

Have never heard another player claim Rodgers is a "me" kind of player. So, pretty interesting to hear Jennings question his leadership.

mr roboto said:
Wasn't it Jennings' sister who was tweeting last year that Rodgers didn't throw the ball enough to him? Yeah, Jennings is such a team player and unselfish.

mr roboto said:
That part is not the shock...that he continues on with it as if Rodgers does not talk about the team and his guys seems quite misguided. Considering nearly every Rodgers press conference he praises his guys when the team wins and so on...and usually takes more of it on himself when they lose.

Have never heard another player claim Rodgers is a "me" kind of player. So, pretty interesting to hear Jennings question his leadership.
There has been meaningful noise about whether or not Rodgers is a "leader" over the past couple seasons. This isn't new.

mr roboto said:

There has been meaningful noise about whether or not Rodgers is a "leader" over the past couple seasons. This isn't new.
Not sure how meaningful...it has typically come from someone mad they are not getting the ball enough (Finley and now Jennings)

mr roboto said:

I think you guys are reading a little too much into his comments. Rodgers is a superstar QB so it does become all about him most of the time. That's the nature of the beast.

mr roboto said:

I think you guys are reading a little too much into his comments. Rodgers is a superstar QB so it does become all about him most of the time. That's the nature of the beast.
“Don't get me wrong, ‘12' is a great person," Jennings continued. "But when you hear all positives, all positives, all positives all the time, it's hard for you to sit down when one of your teammates says ‘Man, come on, you've got to hold yourself accountable for this.' It's hard for someone to see that now because all they've heard is I'm doing it the right way, I'm perfect. In actuality, we all have flaws.

Now, part of this is odd since he now refers to Rodgers as "12" or "that guy they have now". But those are his quotes.

But not sure I have seen any post game pressers where Rodgers does not hold himself accountable for mistakes.

mr roboto said:

“Don't get me wrong, ‘12' is a great person," Jennings continued. "But when you hear all positives, all positives, all positives all the time, it's hard for you to sit down when one of your teammates says ‘Man, come on, you've got to hold yourself accountable for this.' It's hard for someone to see that now because all they've heard is I'm doing it the right way, I'm perfect. In actuality, we all have flaws.

Now, part of this is odd since he now refers to Rodgers as "12" or "that guy they have now". But those are his quotes.

But not sure I have seen any post game pressers where Rodgers does not hold himself accountable for mistakes.
Press conferences are not the only place where Rodgers speaks. I'm pretty sure that Jennings has heard Rodgers speak a minimum of 100X more than you have.

Press conferences are not the only place where Rodgers speaks. I'm pretty sure that Jennings has heard Rodgers speak a minimum of 100X more than you have.
No doubt...but if in public he is taking it on himself...it sort of makes Jennings' words look hollow to people who have heard Rodgers talk like that.

And have heard other players talk about his leadership and his coach praise him for his leadership.

Could it be true? That in private he won't take accountability for his own mistakes? Sure. He could be a complete ### to his teammates behind closed doors.

But by nearly every account, the guy studies what he does...works hard...figures out where he has done wrong to change that. and in public...takes it on himself when he has made mistakes.

Again...seems odd that the 2 people that have questioned it (at least publicly) have been Finley (through his agent) and Jennings.

mr roboto said:

mr roboto said:

I'm just keeping in mind that, right or wrong, Jennings probably feels like he was run out of GB after putting up great years before and after Rodgers. I think it's best if he stops talking about it from now on.

So.

Cassel is looking like he will get another start, as discussed in the Ponder thread, and there may be more after that.

Jennings had a very nice line this weekend.

It could be good to remember that Cassel once had a reliable connection with Bowe, and I can even recall waaaayyyy back when when Cassel was actually good enough to win an AFC player of the month award with the Chiefs, not to mention some decent games with the Pats.

A lot has happened since then, his rep is trashed, and well he was terrible most of the time in KC.

And PIT is bad this year etc. etc. but maybe Jennings has a shot to do something now. He could be a buy low, considering if people thing that was a one-off week, or he could even be on waiver wires here or there.

Point is, maybe Jennings has a chance to keep going after the bye if Cassel is in there. Valid?

Fwiw her's another thread on Jennings' comeback chances.

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=687541&hl=Jennings

I picked him as a WR3 in the draft but dropped him Wk 2 for Hartline. Now I'm rethinking adding him.

So.

Cassel is looking like he will get another start, as discussed in the Ponder thread, and there may be more after that.

Jennings had a very nice line this weekend.

It could be good to remember that Cassel once had a reliable connection with Bowe, and I can even recall waaaayyyy back when when Cassel was actually good enough to win an AFC player of the month award with the Chiefs, not to mention some decent games with the Pats.

A lot has happened since then, his rep is trashed, and well he was terrible most of the time in KC.

And PIT is bad this year etc. etc. but maybe Jennings has a shot to do something now. He could be a buy low, considering if people thing that was a one-off week, or he could even be on waiver wires here or there.

Point is, maybe Jennings has a chance to keep going after the bye if Cassel is in there. Valid?

Fwiw her's another thread on Jennings' comeback chances.

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=687541&hl=Jennings
I think it is valid. Even planning on starting him this week.

PPR I put him in over G. Olsen as my what-the-heck-flex. I think we could be surprised how inept Ponder made that passing game. Cassel is no savior, but a bigger upgrade than we are giving him credit for.

Users who are viewing this thread